NYCelt
gyso
bobheckler
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Celtics Camp and Pre-season - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics Camp and Pre-season

Post by rickdavisakaspike Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Reading the comments after Chris Forsberg's article on espn.com, and it sounded as though some of those people have already given up on the season. There've been too many callers to local talk radio, and way too many of the silly commentators, who have also made no secret of their fatalistic attitudes. The season's over before it began. We don't have the right stuff. Unless we can get Dwight Howard, we're dead.

The opposite is true. We have a damn good chance, as good a chance as any other team. Even if the big names end up playing 30 + minutes per game, if they stay healthy, they can compete. The season hasn't started, there are bright sunny skies, and the rany day fans are already carrying umbrellas.

Last edited by rickdavisakaspike on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:36 pm

I don't know about you, but I am totally sick of listening to these so called "experts" on local shows ripping the Celtics apart. I hope they all have to eat
crow by the end of the season.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Monday's Scrimmage report, courtesy Gary Washburn, Globe. My bold for those trying to read tea leaves...

Monday was a very newsy day around Waltham as the Celtics had more bodies out there at practice but the missing one is a reason for concern.

*Team president Danny Ainge said that Jeff Green is undergoing further tests for a medical issue discovered during his physical and he will be out for a few more days. Ainge did not seem concerned but would not divulge the nature of the issue, citing "doctor-patient privilege."

Ainge said Green should be back in a few days and the team is "just being cautious."

*Ainge also revealed that the team no longer as its valuable $3 million mini mid-level exception because it was used on forward Chris Wilcox. Wilcox did not want to reveal his salary when talking to reporters Friday, leading to the belief he had signed for the minimum. But Wilcox is earning the same salary he did last season in Detroit.

*Delonte West is still a free agent and AInge said it's "uncertain" whether the Celtics are interested in bringing him back.

*Brandon Bass reported to camp and practiced for the first time since being traded and said he is happy to be in Boston and prepared to come off the bench.

*Doc Rivers said rookie E'Twaun Moore was "one of the best players in the gym today, forget being a rookie. The white (team) won both scrimmages and he carried the game."

*Paul Pierce practiced most of Monday but sat out at the end, getting his sore right heel massaged.

*Rajon Rondo (sprained right ankle) was present but did not practice. Rivers said he should return Tuesday or Wednesday.

*Rivers is happy to have Sasha Pavlovic back in green, "I think he could be a really good player," Rivers said. "He's still relatively young, and we're going to try to get it out of him."

*Rivers also said he may play as many of 10 players because of the compacted season and to capitalize on the team's depth.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Delonte signed with Dallas tonight
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 pm

The return of James Posey?

The Boston Celtics have been trying to replace the void left by James Posey since he left town after the Celtics won the NBA title in 2008. The Celtics just have not found a player that could play both forward spots at the defensive end and stretch the floor on offense. The Celtics just might be able to land James Posey one more time as boston.com’s Gary Washburn is reporting that Posey’s agent Mark Bartelstein will talk to Celtics president Danny Ainge about the Celtics’ interest in the recently waived Posey.

Posey may not be the same player that he was in 2008, but he would not be that bad an option off the Celtics bench. However, rumors of the complete collapse of his skills are exagerated. I believe that in the Celtics system that Posey might be able to revive his career. Unlike the Hornets and Pacers that had Posey’s services, Boston would utilize his skills as a pesky defensive player. The Celtics could use a defensive presence behind Paul Pierce that could help defend guys like LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. The beautiful part about the signing is having already been in the Celtics system, he should be a fast learner for the shortened season.

Posey’s return would also impact other guys on the roster. The Celtics would then be able to plug Marquis Daniels in more of his traditional backup two guard role and present matchup issues. The Celtics could also employ a great shooters lineup off the bench of Jeff Green at small forward, Posey at power forward, Keyon Dooling at point guard, Daniels at shooting guard, and Bass at center. This unit would definitely stretch the floor. Posey could also mentor rookies like JaJuan Johnson like he did Glen Davis on the art of taking a charge.

Ainge has needed Posey’s replacement for years. He now has a shot at him one more time. I cannot see Ainge passing him up for a veteran minimum deal. Remember Go Green Or Go Home!!!!!!

http://www.rantsports.com/boston-celtics/2011/12/15/boston-celtics-former-player-james-posey-is-looking-to-return-to-celtics/

Why not?

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:15 pm

How about Przybilla?

The Celtics have had some discussions with Joel Przybilla's camp .
Przybilla has told teams that he's going to wait until after the holidays to make a decision about playing, but he did leave the door open to return to the court. The Celtics have a very obvious need for size, and the fit would be natural between the two sides. Dec 16 - 11:59 AM
Source: A. Sherrod Blakely on Twitter

http://rotoworld.com/player/nba/686/joel-przybilla

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:21 am

Green vs White scrimmage:

December 16, 2011

Avery Bradley's buzzer beater leads to Green team win

Tonight was all-about the fans. The Celtics were back in front of the Garden crowd, and they were loving it. Now granted, I wasn't there, but it was obvious from following my friends on Twitter and watching the live-feed online, that Celtics diehards were ecstatic to see NBA hoops back at the TD Garden tonight. Sure, it was "only a scrimmage", but from the moment Paul Pierce came-out and started high-fiving (and sitting with) fans in the front-row, you knew the crowd was in for a great night.

http://www.redsarmy.com/

Here's the winning shot:

In the waning moments, E'Twuan Moore hits a three to put the white team up 1. With seconds remaining, Avery Bradley answers with a baseline jumper for the game winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j_vuoBfr24&feature=player_embedded

Comments:

• I miss Rondo's high bounce dribble to start the game. (Someday, someone is going to steal that and embarass him.)
  • Wilcox can go up quick and throw it down. (So not-Perk!!)
  • Ray can still take it to the hole. (Remember any comments about how he was "done" after his ankle surgery in '07?)
  • Each team was successfull with last possession scores. (Pierce was on the bench, so the rock moved, no iso-ball)

Anyway, it was good to see a game on the court instead of reading about the game going to court!!!

Enjoy!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Here's a 5 1/2 minute video of the scrimmage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G4ASW8nUypo

My observations:

1. Dooling didn't impress. He didn't run uptempo, didn't look comfortable passing in the halfcourt either. Offense ran through Q.
2. Q was on with his passing. Two great passes under the basket to Wilcox #44 despite being double-teamed on top.
3. Ray is already Ray.
4. Not great outside shooting by either team.
5. JON looked good.
6. We need size to finish around the basket.
7. Moore's #55 was seen a lot around the ball. He was the recipient of a semi-lob from Rondo off a Rondo steal.
8. Wilcox attacks the hoop.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Can't know the players without a scorecard, right?

0 - Avery Bradley
4 - Marquis Daniels
5 - KG
7 - Jermaine O'Neal
9 - Rondo
11 - Sasha Pavlovic
12 - Jujuan Johnson
20 - Ray Allen
30 - Brandon Bass
34 - Paul Pierce
42 - Gilbert Brown
44 - Chris Wilcox
51 - Keyon Dooling
52 - Jamal Sampson
54 - Greg Stiemsma (as if you couldn't figure out who the big white guy is)
55 - E'Taun Moore
60 - Mike Sweetney

17 players, not including Jeff Green. That means at least 2, maybe 3, are not going to make the cut. Considering that a week or two ago we had 6 players under contract and two rookies, that's a busy week for Danny.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:13 pm

gyso wrote:Green vs White scrimmage:

December 16, 2011

Avery Bradley's buzzer beater leads to Green team win

Tonight was all-about the fans. The Celtics were back in front of the Garden crowd, and they were loving it. Now granted, I wasn't there, but it was obvious from following my friends on Twitter and watching the live-feed online, that Celtics diehards were ecstatic to see NBA hoops back at the TD Garden tonight. Sure, it was "only a scrimmage", but from the moment Paul Pierce came-out and started high-fiving (and sitting with) fans in the front-row, you knew the crowd was in for a great night.

http://www.redsarmy.com/

Here's the winning shot:

In the waning moments, E'Twuan Moore hits a three to put the white team up 1. With seconds remaining, Avery Bradley answers with a baseline jumper for the game winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j_vuoBfr24&feature=player_embedded

Comments:

• I miss Rondo's high bounce dribble to start the game. (Someday, someone is going to steal that and embarass him.)
  • Wilcox can go up quick and throw it down. (So not-Perk!!)
  • Ray can still take it to the hole. (Remember any comments about how he was "done" after his ankle surgery in '07?)
  • Each team was successfull with last possession scores. (Pierce was on the bench, so the rock moved, no iso-ball)

Anyway, it was good to see a game on the court instead of reading about the game going to court!!!

Enjoy!!!

gyso,

That shot has just GOT to elevate Bradley's confidence, and that was sorely lacking last year. I have to say, though, that I liked Moore's shot better.

Bradley's shot was very tough, under pressure (both shotclock and defensive). MOST players taking that shot 10 times in a row won't hit it anywhere near a good % of the time. Moore's 3, on the other hand, was in the flow of the offense, he moved to an open spot, had space between him and a defender, set his feet well, and stroked it in. The way he moved and shot, he could do that again and again and again. The shot by Moore said more about him than Bradley's shot said something about him. Still, as I said, I hope Bradley's shot inspires him. Either way, the Celtics win because we now have two players that are feeling good.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Here's some more of the open scrimmage yesterday.

1. The more I see of Wilcox, the more I'm liking him! He's an energy guy who is always moving and always seems to be around the iron and played pretty good defense against JON.

2. In the second video, you get to see some Stiemsma and Sweetney. Wow. Sweetney's BIG. Contrary to what it says at the Globe, his number is #43, not #60. Doesn't matter, you can't mistake his girth for anybody else. In the third video you see Stiemsma and JJJ combine to block a Sweetney shot. I think I could block a Sweetney shot.

3. Bass hits a couple of foul line jumpers, one of them over an onrushing Stiemsma. We need that.

4. I get the impression that Stiemsma has hands of stone. I could be wrong, but he doesn't look smooth catching the ball. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqdDXQGMDAI&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrENsTRES5w&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLuD7rfJ4A&feature=player_embedded

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

This from Frank Dell'apa, of the Globe, about the scrimmage and the camp.

The Celtics did not approach last night’s scrimmage like a practice session.

They checked into a hotel, had a team meal, went to TD Garden for a morning shootaround, and returned to be greeted by a national anthem singer and an enthusiastic crowd of invited guests and season ticket-holders.

“We basically did it like a regular game,’’ center Jermaine O’Neal said. “It really felt like a regular preseason game. It was the genius of Doc [Rivers] - that’s the first time I ever had an intrasquad scrimmage like that.’’

And coaches and players competed as if something were at stake during two 12-minute periods.

The contest went down to the final seconds, Avery Bradley hitting a buzzer-beating jumper to give the Green team a 52-51 win after E’Twaun Moore’s 3-pointer had given the White team the lead with 0.8 seconds left.

“That last shot was just a great shot,’’ Rivers said. “E’Twaun’s shot was a more impressive shot because he had to make a decision, shoot it or throw it to Ray [Allen].

“Most of the time, even though he’s open, most guys would throw it to Ray. And he didn’t hesitate. And that’s what I like about him - he can really shoot.’’

Moore is competing for a backup position in the backcourt.

“We had a nice play drawn up, they bit on it, I had an open shot, and just had to take it,’’ Moore said. “I was just taking what they were giving me. Having confidence can take you a long ways and I had confidence I could knock down a shot.’’

Rivers sat between the benches, the teams guided by assistants Armond Hill and Tyronn Lue, who called a combined five timeouts in the final 12 seconds.

“That’s how it’s been in practice every day, we’ve been all out,’’ O’Neal said. “The [coaches] did a good job teaching and really challenging guys, Doc really challenged us, a lot of scrimmaging and teaching, focusing in on the task and the schemes we have.

“No matter what, how many years you’ve been in the league, you still get to play in front of your fan base.’’

Chris Wilcox had 17 points and 11 rebounds for the White team.

“I was really happy with the second-unit guys, they kind of hung in there just long enough,’’ Rivers said. “Chris was really struggling at one point and he kind of gathered himself at some point.

“I liked the ending, the calls, all that stuff was good. You kind of see how people handle it, get over it, and, so, a lot of good things. I wasn’t sure about it but I’m glad we did this. Instead of an open practice, where you’re doing a 3-point contest, we actually got something out of this.’’

Moore doing more

Moore has started to establish himself as a contender as a backup.

“It’s a wide-open spot,’’ Moore said. “So, if I keep working hard every day - you’re not going to given anything you have to earn it, so I’m going to keep working hard.’’

Said Rivers: “We tell them, we’re honest with guys. There’s a spot there and all of you aren’t going to play it. So, it’s been a competitive camp because of that.’’

Making an impact

Rivers on Greg Stiemsma: “I do like [Stiemsma] a lot. He hasn’t really separated himself or anything but I like some of the things he can do. I think we’ve got to convince him of the things he can do. He’s actually a terrific shooter from the elbows. He’s not a post player at all but he’s a terrific shot-blocker, I mean he blocks everything. We’ve got to get him comfortable when he’s open. It happens with veterans, when you’re playing with Paul [Pierce] and Ray you almost feel like you’re not worthy to take an open shot and I think he’s right there.’’

Said Stiemsma: “You have to stay within yourself and do what you can do. I’m trying to focus on that, not trying to step outside my comfort zone in terms what I can and can’t do. Hopefully, I’ll bring some toughness, some inside presence, shot-blocking presence.’’

O’Neal leading the way

Rivers said he considered O’Neal the most valuable player of preseason camp.

“You know what I really wanted to do is take a lot of reps,’’ O’Neal said of his workouts with Kevin Garnett. “I was a little nervous last year coming into this new situation.

“I know the city is looking to win a championship and you want to battle for your spot and end up getting hurt.’’

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:46 pm

bobh,

Ray Allen was somewhat involved in both last second shots.

1. Ray set the pick that freed up Moore to take that 3-pointer.
  2. Ray could have been called for a foul on Bradley. It was hard to tell from the angle.

Chris Wilcox had 17 points and 11 rebounds for the White team.

In two 12-minute periods? This could get interesting.

Hey, muchas gracias for the player list, I used it when I watched the videos of the game. I'll probably use it on Sunday and beyond, until I can learn to recognize the new guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:49 pm

According to Gary Washburn of the Globe, the Celtics are satisfied with their SF and are not interested in James Posey.

This tune might change when Q goes down.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:57 pm

bobheckler wrote:According to Gary Washburn of the Globe, the Celtics are satisfied with their SF and are not interested in James Posey.

This tune might change when Q goes down.

bob

I took note that you said "when" not "if" Q goes down. Sadly, such is his history.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:03 am

This is an article by Mark Murphy of the Herald.

Moore Time for Learning
Celtic Rook shows Maturity

The very concept sounds bizarre to Ray Allen, who back in another era spent three years in college.

A four-year college experience fast was becoming a novelty even then, which is why Celtics [team stats] rookies E’Twaun Moore and his former Purdue and current Celtics teammate JaJuan Johnson seem like a pair of time travelers.

But Moore’s early impact on training camp — best illustrated by a pair of smooth, collected jumpers down the stretch of Sunday’s 76-75 exhibition win in Toronto — may show there is forgotten value in the maturity of a four-year college player.

“It’s funny when it’s said like that’s not the norm anymore,” Allen said. “It is refreshing when you see guys come into the league who have the tutelage of a very good coach, and they’ve stayed under him for four years. Winning and losing both help after that much time. E’Twaun has an awareness about him.”

That awareness, polished by a handful of games for Benetton Treviso of the Italian League this past fall, has made Moore stand out. Though a rookie, he is 21 months older than second-year Celtics guard Avery Bradley.

Moore wears No. 55 as a galling reminder of where he was taken in last June’s draft. In this case, there may be such a thing as a penalty for being too experienced. In this case, familiarity may have a negative influence on general managers and scouts.

“They not only overlook four years, but by the fourth year they’ve pretty much torn you apart,” Celts coach Doc Rivers said of the process. “The first year they pick at you a little bit, and by the time you’re a fourth-year senior the scouts look at everything you can’t do. Then all of a sudden you’re not good enough to get drafted, or you sink in the draft, and they forget all of the things you can do. They forgot he plays at an NBA speed and he shoots extremely well.”

Moore’s speed, his unhurried pace, was particularly apparent Sunday. He buried the second of those two jumpers -— a 15-footer — after calmly driving right off a pick. His release was unhurried and measured, though not slow.

“It’s been part of my game ever since I got to Purdue, and I have to stay the same way,” Moore said. “Just stay calm under pressure. I think basketball is basketball, no matter where it’s played. That’s how I always feel out on the court. Just stay confident and play hard.

“It’s just the maturity over the years that I’ve developed. I played four years of college basketball with a lot of tight situations.”

Allen can speak better than most to the value of an unhurried pace. He’s one of the best at maintaining the same fluid shooting motion in the face of pressure. He is also one of the most unflappable players the game has known. He can appreciate those qualities in a rookie.

“The interesting thing about him is the speed of that confidence,” Allen said of Moore. “When you get young guys, they’re always hurrying up, they’re rushing, and he has a speed that’s kind of in between. He knows when to turn it on and lull his defender into a false sense of confidence. That helps out there.

“That’s something you usually have to learn as a young player in this league,” he said. “If you have that already, the game slows down for you. It’s always surprising. Any time you ask about a guy coming into the league, I say the measure is heart. That’s always the barometer. You talk to a guy to see who he is, what his upbringing’s all about. Everyone is talented, but can a guy stand to be yelled at? With two seconds on the clock can he make a free throw or make a play down the stretch? Very few guys are able to facilitate like that.”

Moore may be a rookie with that rare quality.

My Notes:
It certainly does look it, so far he's coming up roses. Too bad those 4 years didn't do the same fo rhis teammate, JJJ, but the jury is still out. Moore is more composed than Bradley, who is younger and has a year with the Celtics already. Some of that might just be temperment but I'll bet a lot of it is Moore just getting all those minutes in college that Bradley hasn't gotten.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:21 am

Boston Celtics 2011-12 Season Preview

Usually NBA season previews are best read in October, back when football games hardly mattered, Midnight Madness was a few weeks away and baseball was winding down. Perhaps with the last of the offseason's iced tea in hand, as you whiled away on a too-warm-for-the-season afternoon.

Well, pour yourself a glass of bull shot and tighten those mittens because it's late December and the NBA decided to have a season this year. As such, the exegetes at Ball Don't Lie are previewing the 2011-12 campaign in a mad rush, as if you or we would have it any other way. So put down the shovel long enough to listen to Kelly Dwyer, Dan Devine and Eric Freeman as they break down each of the NBA's 29 teams, plus Toronto.

This time? It's the Boston Celtics.

Kelly Dwyer's Reasons to be Cheerful

As soon as thoughts and concern for Jeff Green's health dimmed a bit in the wake of the news of his scary heart condition, Celtics fans and NBA onlookers quickly moved to dismiss Boston's depth. Not quite to the point that critics were ready to call off their championship expectations, but because the team missed out the heavy duty days of the NBA's truncated free-agent signing period, there were worries that Green's absence could hurt the older Celtics in ways abbreviated minutes or slim practices couldn't help.

Am I missing something, here? This looks like a rotation I would gladly accept, were I a Celtics fan, and that's not with overrating the top-heavy aspect of this team's star-laden lineup. Does this thing not run 10 deep to you?

Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are key, we know, but there are a series of sound minutes-soppers here. Brandon Bass works well at two positions and Avery Bradley can spell Rondo despite his offensive limitations. Jermaine O'Neal had a fantastic year at center last season, and Chris Wilcox will love his ability to roam in Doc Rivers' ever-shifting offense full of moving parts.

The two rookies from Purdue -- E'Twaun Moore and JaJuan Johnson -- are rough around the edges but they boast NBA size. Don't underestimate that, especially with Moore's impressive preseason start. Keyon Dooling can back up both guard positions and defend like mad, and Marquis Daniels remains one of the more underrated defenders and offensive contributors out there. The team's obsession with employing Sasha Pavlovic is still a little batty, so let's just say he misses the cut.

With Sasha out of the picture, that's still 12 rotation parts to get all cheerful over. Dismiss the rookies and you still have a versatile, defensive-minded 10-man rotation that, by the way, is top-heavy with one of the league's best point guards and three of the best players of their generation.

Last "generation," I admit, but I see no reason why the Celtics can't hold up. Once the playoffs hit and you sometimes see three days in between first-round games, things will be all caught up, and the Celtics know Rivers' offense and the expected defensive rotations like the melody to "Jingle Bells" at this point. Timely.

Lack of practice will be a worry to the coaching staff, but I honestly doubt it will be as big an issue with Boston as it is with other teams -- although Pierce's heel injury is a worry. Those things don't tend to go away. Still, this is a group that is good enough to not only down the Miami Heat, avenging last season's second-round loss, but get back to the Finals for the third time in five years (wow, has it been that long since Kevin McHale did Danny Ainge a solid and shipped K.G. to Boston?) in 2012.

Green would have helped, but the green have enough. Wordplay.

For more from Dan Devine and Eric Freeman, go to link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Boston-Celtics-2011-12-Season-Preview?urn=nba-wp12145&active_dimension=carousel_ept_sports_nba_experts&ysp_frm_woah=1

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:29 am

Gyso=Your summation of the team seems to be right on the money, however,
do you really think they will cut Sasha ? I say they hold on to him at least until the new guy (hopefully Petric), gets his feet wait and learns to system

One other thing, do you think Moore stays with the club or is assigned to the D league?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:29 am

Gyso=Your summation of the team seems to be right on the money, however,
do you really think they will cut Sasha ? I say they hold on to him at least until the new guy (hopefully Petric), gets his feet wait and learns to system

One other thing, do you think Moore stays with the club or is assigned to the D league?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2