RIVERS: GARNETT MAY BE USED AT CENTER / O'NEIL SIGN & TRADE FOR WEST

3 posters

Go down

RIVERS: GARNETT MAY BE USED AT CENTER / O'NEIL SIGN & TRADE FOR WEST Empty RIVERS: GARNETT MAY BE USED AT CENTER / O'NEIL SIGN & TRADE FOR WEST

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:25 pm

RIVERS: GARNETT MAY BE USED AT CENTER
By: Paul Flannery

WALTHAM -- While the Celtics wait for resolution on a sign-and-trade deal with free agent David West, they have a notable shortage of traditional centers on the roster. That's true even if Jermaine O'Neal ultimately remains in Boston.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers isn't worried about that scenario because the team already has added Brandon Bass and Chris Wilcox who can play both the big forward and center positions. He also said that Kevin Garnett could play more center this year. "Kevin will play some five this year, which honestly I don’t think is a problem at all," Rivers said. "You can play him and Bass together. Either one can guard the five or the four so it makes us pretty versatile."

This is part of a league-wide trend. Beyond Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum, there are not many traditional back-to-the-basket centers left. "There’s two or three of them that are dominant anymore," Rivers said. "Dwight and Bynum, after that there’s not a lot of others."

Garnett will still play his usual 30 minutes or so each night, but Rivers said he may adjust his rotations so that Garnett plays in three, five-minute incrimements per half instead of two shifts for about eight minutes.

The Celtics roster is in still in a state of flux. They have a number of big players in camp on invitations including Greg Stiemsma and Mike Sweetney and certainly could add another center. "I’ll always take one so if you can find one for me please help out," Rivers said. "If we have enough fours who can play both [positions] and we have enough fouls we can get away with it."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

O'NEAL PRACTICES WITH FUTURE ON HOLD
By: Paul Flannery

Jermaine O'Neal was at Celtics practice on Saturday while the team worked on a possible sign-and-trade deal that would bring free agent David West to Boston in a package that would reportedly include O'Neal and another player. The Celtics would need O'Neal's expiring contract that pays him roughly $6 million to make the trade work financially.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers couldn't comment on any future moves, but he did say, "Some of the decisions are in the player’s hands. That’s what the words 'free agent' mean."

O'Neal said that while he had no intention of playing for a rebuilding team like the Hornets, he understood the business.

"We’ve had conversations," O'Neal said. "I’ve been around too long not to understand. Some guys get bitter about it, this is a business and there’s really only three scenarios: Stay here, go to another contender or stop playing.

"If I go somewhere else it won’t be a losing team. That wouldn’t make any sense. If it was a deal with New Orleans, I’m sure there would be a third team. My stop wouldn’t be to New Orleans. They’re not trying to get older."

While he waits on a verdict, O'Neal said that he never considered not attending practice. "I still have a responsibility," he said. "This is my job. I owe it to my teammates and I owe it to the people here as a Celtic right now."

Back to top Go down

RIVERS: GARNETT MAY BE USED AT CENTER / O'NEIL SIGN & TRADE FOR WEST Empty Re: RIVERS: GARNETT MAY BE USED AT CENTER / O'NEIL SIGN & TRADE FOR WEST

Post by worcester Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:28 am

JO -- a true professional and class act in a classy organization
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

RIVERS: GARNETT MAY BE USED AT CENTER / O'NEIL SIGN & TRADE FOR WEST Empty Re: RIVERS: GARNETT MAY BE USED AT CENTER / O'NEIL SIGN & TRADE FOR WEST

Post by Matty Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:35 am

well said, worcester well said.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down