bobheckler
MDCelticsFan
sinus007
11 posters

Go down

POST GAME MIAMI Empty POST GAME MIAMI

Post by 112288 Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:23 pm

WE SHOULD HAVE WON!

I like the team and equate it to 1969 team that will get hot in the playoffs, however I see some noticeable soft spots that developed in the last 2 games that worry me.

1) On offense, KG is not attacking the paint for drives or his fade away 10 footer but rather staying outside and popping 18 footers.
2) KG missed several defensive assignments that were very noticeable tonight.
3) KG has no vertical leaping ability.
4) Both KG and JON are playing soft in the paint. We miss a banger like Baby or Perk. All night Miami had an easy night driving in the paint for uncontested layups.
5) Doc, it took you 2.5 periods to go to a zone defense. How long do you wait before you realize you are getting your head beat in before you make a change?
6) GIVE ME A BREAK WITH THE REF'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STILL CONSISTENTLY A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a bad note Wilcox injured his shoulder. X'Rays were negative, so now we lose another forward/center. Danny has to get real and pick someone up.

ESPN BOSTON

MIAMI -- Rapid reaction after the Miami Heat defeated the Boston Celtics 115-107 Tuesday night at American Airlines Arena:

HOW THE GAME WAS WON
The Celtics improbably rallied from a 20-point, third-quarter hole to twice make it a one-possession game with less than two minutes to play, but Heat rookie guard Norris Cole made a pair of clutch jumpers to prevent Boston from rallying any closer. LeBron James scored a team-high 26 points with six rebounds and five assists, while Dwyane Wade kicked in 24 points with eight assists. Ray Allen scored a game-high 28 points on 8-of-12 shooting for Boston, while Rajon Rondo added 22 points, 12 assists and 8 rebounds in another monster effort.

TURNING POINT
The Heat shot a blistering 65.7 percent in the first half (23-of-35, including 5-of-6 beyond the 3-point arc) while scoring 69 points and building a 15-point cushion at the intermission. That lead ballooned early in the third quarter as the Heat flirted with 70 percent from the field. The Celtics shifted to a zone defense in the third quarter that aided their rally, but the Heat ultimately shot 56 percent (42-of-75) -- the third highest mark in the new Big Three era.

OFFICIALLY A PROBLEM
For the second time in as many games, referees made themselves a storyline. Olandis Poole drew Doc Rivers' ire early and often for what Boston's coach thought was uneven whistles, particularly in the first half. The Heat generated 24 first-half free throws behind 15 foul calls against the Celtics (Boston shot 15 free throws on nine personal fouls on Miami). Rondo got T'd up by Poole in the first half and Rivers finally boiled over in the third quarter, even as Boston trimmed its deficit to single digits.

TURNOVERS A BIGGER PROBLEM
The Celtics committed 15 first-half turnovers leading to 23 points (the Heat turned the ball over 11 times, but for only 11 points). Boston couldn't control the officiating, but it could have been less sloppy with the ball (especially after coaches stressed valuing the ball, particularly against this team). For the game, Boston gave the ball away 24 times for 33 points.

UNSUNG HERO
Cole, selected one spot after JaJuan Johnson at No. 28 in June's draft, chipped in 20 points on 8-of-16 shooting with four assists and four rebounds.

WHAT IT MEANS
Boston has lost six of its last seven games against Miami (including a five-game series loss in the Eastern Conference semifinals last season). After winning three of four regular-season matchups last season, the Celtics know regular-season success isn't an indicator of postseason potential, but you get the feeling that Miami isn't exactly frightened by the idea of jousting with Boston given their recent success. That said, Boston's late rally might have reminded them they can never count out the Celtics.

WHAT'S NEXT?
The Celtics tackle the first of 19 back-to-backs (not including a back-to-back-to-back in April) this season Wednesday night with a visit to New Orleans that concludes a season-opening, three-game road trip. Boston, which will again be without captain Paul Pierce versus the Hornets, meets Detroit on Friday night in Boston in the home opener.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MIAMI Empty Re: POST GAME MIAMI

Post by sinus007 Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:01 am

Hi,
Well... it's a tough loss.
As 112288 mentioned, KG and JON played very soft. I don't know why. The only explanation is they didn't want to be fouled out in the first half.
Speaking of which (refereeing), poor MD pulled his headband and was ready to pull all his dreadlocks to be like KG.
On a bright side, Spo made a fool out of himself. During a break he was asked if the zone defense surprised them - "No, we were ready for that". Yeah, right.
Once again, BB showed what he can bring to the table.
JON was totally quiet - I hope he's not hurt.
Thankfully we have RA.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:22 am

Sinus,

Let's see how KG does once Pierce comes back. That will be the tell tale sign of how much KG has left. With Pierce in, it will help give KG more spacing to work his way to the basket.

Turnovers are another problem we need to work on. Danny has to get himself a true center with some toughness. The Celtic paint was like butter last night.

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:28 am

The paint for the Celtics on defense was getting more penetration than a $2.00 hooker on New Year's Eve on 14th & "U" Streets in Washington D.C.-Very Sad for the Celtics, not for the hookers.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:57 am

HERE ARE THE FREE AGENT CENTERS STILL AVAILABLE

Joel Przybilla
Francisco Elson
Hamed Haddadi
Earl Baron
Erick Dampier

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:13 pm

I hate having to draw solace from moral victories, but here we are again.

Blistering shooting in the first half helped by porous perimeter defense put us in the hole. Having said that, we rallied beautifully in the second half. We shot 51% from the field. Can't complain about that. They shot 56%. That's the problem. 69 points by Miami in the first half. 69!! It's hard to win games when you give up points like that, but we still almost did. They had 12 fta in the first quarter alone. That puts just way too much pressure on your defense, since you are over the limit for much of that quarter. The Ageless Mr. Allen's shooting kept us in this game.

1. DWade played an absolutely amazing game. Scoring virtually at will and playing inspired defense on Mssrs Allen and Daniels. 8 assists, 4 blocks, he did it all. What a performance he put on last night.

2. The next time LeBum posts someone up, even someone half his size like Rondo or Dooling, will be the first. He can pass over them, sure, and even shoot over them but he has trouble getting into the paint with a quicker player on him. If he's hitting from outside, there's nothing you can do about that, but you gotta take away one part of his game and, the last time I looked, a jumpshot is a lower percentage shot than a dunk.

3. Speaking of Dooling, I'm starting to like him. He still hasn't run a fullcourt fast break, but he's doing other things well. Defending, shooting the 3 (4-6 last night). Give him time to learn the other players and his assist total will go up.

4. Another solid game for Bass. You see him standing next to KG and Ray Allen and you realize he's really no taller than Davis was. Just goes to show, this isn't about running fast or jumping high, it's about being in the right place and knowing what to do when you're there.

5. Rondo shot 7-11 from the line last night. That brings his 2 game total to 16-23 (70%). This is still better than anytime earlier in his career. Last year, it didn't matter much, since he didn't have a lot of fta/game, but now he's getting to the line with his aggressiveness. This improvement in % pays off with points. 44 minutes last night by our new ironman. 40 by Ray Allen, who never gets tired.

6. Norris Cole is a rookie that clinched the victory for Miami. Hear that Doc? Bradley took NO shots in the 4 minutes he played. Why not give Moore a chance? He won't do any worse than Bradley.

7. I hate to say this but I'm seeing a diminishment in KG's game. He's not as quick, isn't getting up as high. Bosh ran circles around him. Another 30+ minute night for KG with another game tonight. I'm not getting this, Doc. Do we have depth or don't we? Are you going to go 10 deep or aren't you? Do you want KG to have anything left in the tank by the playoffs or don't you?

8. They had 52 points in the paint. Those points weren't because of their awesome, physical frontline, it was because penetration gave them opportunities in the paint. Hopefully, Pietrus will help with that. Regardless, we need to improve our perimeter defense or we are in deep doodoo.

9. JON picked up a couple of quick fouls in the first half, again, but was a little more effective in the second half (when the refs let him stay on the floor). Still, he didn't contribute much. I would have thought that a team like Miami, with a weak-ish center but with wings that penetrate, would have been a good team to put a shotblocker like The Steamer in against. I guess not. Let's burn the old men we have out, I say. Sheesh!

10. A better game by Sasha, but not much better. Still, the poor bastard has got stuck guarding, arguably, perhaps the two toughest SF in the game in LeBum and 'Melo's Elbows. NOT easy assignments. Still, I expect him to drop to 10th or 11th man within a week.

11. We had 24 turnovers. Wow. That's amazingly bad. A lot of telegraphed, crosscourt passes or really obvious ones (like the one where Ray Allen tried to side-arm a pass out of a double and got it taken away from him easily) and a couple of just "throw the ball right to them" turnovers. We keep this number under 20, even 20, and we maybe win this game. Imagine that, winning a game even with 20 turnovers.

No Pierce, no Pietrus and we still nearly pulled it off, on the road. That's the moral victory. The Miami Heat blew 17 points off of a 20 point lead with only 5:45 left in the 3rd period. Some big plays by a rookie pulled their nuts out of the fire, but I wouldn't be feeling real good about this if I was Spoelstra. They damn near blew a game that shouldn't have been close.

I wonder how much we (especially KG) have left in the tank for New Orleans?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi,
BTW, why did Doc play AB and sit EM, again? Not that it'd make much difference but at least the rook would smell the real fire and we could see what he can do.
Also, I understand that Doc felt that they can get this game but if he continues to play KG and RA that many minutes they won't be able to play in playoffs.
Well, at this point we can only guess why Doc does this but not that.
I forgot to mention that I liked MD.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Doc has talked at length this year and in years previous about monitoring and curtailing minutes for Garnett, Pierce & Allen. It's all lip service. Doc is great on X's & O's for in bounds plays and end of half and last second game plays off time outs. As far as managing minutes of veteran players, he's clueless

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Miami showed a great example of why speed and aggressive defense are hard to contend with. By constantly extending the defense and applying pressure they forced us into turnover after turnover.

No big bangers for Miami hanging out fighting their way in, just quickness and penetration, good passing and athleticism.

The era of the dominant wing player continues; Miami understands how it works and has the personnel to execute on both ends.

Credit to Doc for giving in for the first time and going zone. That's the way to deal effectively with Miami's transition game and slow them down. Push it out to the perimeter and make them beat you there. True, outside shooting is how you break down and beat a zone and they were hot from the outside too. It's a lower percentage shot however, and worth trying. We might have gone zone sooner.

I think that the return of Pierce and recovery and addition of Pietrus would make all the difference we need. Still our keys to success this year are named Rondo, Allen and Bass. To me Rondo is clearly our most important player. I would also love to see Doc pick up the pace and use a couple of the young athletic players we have, but he's the coach and I'm just a fan. Still, I can't help but wonder...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooltrikon Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:24 pm

I too wonder why Doc doesn't give the young guys on the bench more of a chance. But Doc's the coach (for 5 more seasons). And Danny seems to trust Doc implicitly. So I will just keep watching and hoping for the best.
Mooltrikon
Mooltrikon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Folks, I'm sorry, but I don't quite get it.

In the first game, KG played 37 minutes and people were on Doc's case for playing him so much despite the fact that the Celtics were short on experience and scoring with Pierce out.

So then, after a day without playing (although it did include travel), KG played 32.5 minutes, and people were still on Doc's case despite the fact that Pierce was still out, the Celtics had lost another big man (Wilcox), and Jermaine was doing a vanishing act.

If KG were to play five minutes less in each successive game, would I keep reading complaints about Doc's rationing of his minutes even though he'd be down to 2.5 minutes per game by the eighth game of the season? Sure that's ridiculous and maybe even a tad sarcastic, for which I apologize. But let's get real for a minute.

For better or worse, KG is the guy who has been entrusted to play the majority of PF minutes this season. Get used to it. IF his skills are eroding, that's probably something we're going to have to live with and the team is going to have to adapt to. Brandon Bass has been very busy filling in for a virtually absent Jermaine O'Neal, and Bass can play only one position at a time. Wilcox may or may not turn out to be a reliably healthy, proficient PF sub.

As for inserting rookies, Doc's in the business of trying to put together an effective rotation on the fly, without benefit of that most precious of commodities—practice. It's trial and error, and you can try only so many experiments at a time. The three guard experiment is one that may be working out fairly well in certain circumstances. Would that experiment have worked out as well if Doc had simultaneously been experimenting with, let's say, Stiemsa or JJJ?

As for any eroding skills on KG's part, would it be prudent to withhold judgment on that until Pierce has been back for a while? Things like spacing and timing have a lot to do with KG's effectiveness. What may seem like fewer hops or less intensity may be at least partly caused by the facts that KG's taking on additional roles because (1) Pierce is out and (2) Jermaine seems ineffective. For example, KG may be staying outside so much because he's been trying to help space the floor in Pierce's absence and with Bass available to bang underneath. Moreover, in the Heat game, Miami was packing the middle and forcing the Celtics' offense to operate mostly on the perimeter.

Here's a question, and it isn't rhetorical because I don't have the answer. How has KG functioned during the first half of each game versus the second half of each game? Presumably, he's not as fatigued during the first halves, and I'd be interested in whether his performance has improved or deteriorated as time has passed in each game.

I'm not asking people to see me in April. But how about January? Better still, how about after the Celtics have had the entire roster available for at least five games? Of course, that could mean April.

Whatever the case, I am asking that people consider the fact that, in addition to working several players into the rotation and missing a major key to their continuity (Pierce), they're doing so on the fly. I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again. The greater the amount of adaptation forced upon a team, and the less continuity the team enjoys, the longer it's likely to take a long time before the team's close to maximum effectiveness.

I couldn't believe how smoothly the Celtics adjusted to playing a zone defense. That's a major adaptation, especially for a team that's not used to playing zone defense, to say nothing of playing it together, to say nothing of having had virtually no opportunity to practice it.

I'm as anxious as the next guy for this team to hit its stride. But, if 61 Celtics seasons have taught me anything, they've taught me to exercise a strong sense of reality and to be patient.

Thanks for reading. Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Mool, glad to see you posting.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Got in late and just got done watching the game. I knew the final before watching so I didn't have to squirm around and wonder about things.

Seemed in the first half if it wasn't a dunk or an easy layup it was a wide open three.

Just can't afford to dig a hole and expect to come back against good teams.

And using the words for an old Beatle tune.

Not much more to add that hasn't been discussed. Pretty obvious we do need a big but there are about 20+ teams that perhaps feel the same way too.

beat

All I am saying is give E'twaun a chance..........

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Sam,

I buy your overall rationale, but I think in certain situations it might be OK to go ahead and experiment; even at the risk of harming continuity. To me anyway, now is the time; early in the season while a loss is likely to be far less consequential overall in terms of team psyche and way too early to sweat it's meaning in playoff standings. Our core four has played together long enough that I think they can adapt to a little check-ride and the others are in the process of adapting daily anyway. Change is the constant, speed is the variable, even in professional sports.

Specifically, when presented with something like we saw from Miami last night, I would rather see what Johnson could do against Bosh now rather than give it a go later on. Although it might have seemed like blasphemy a few short seasons ago there is the very real potential that someone like Johnson could slow a Bosh or another slashing big down better on pure athletic ability than KG can on experience. If he succeeds it's one less free agent to consider in order to bolster our roster during the stretch run, and being better informed on what our true needs are. I want to know what I can do against the teams that may run on us with what we have now, before I'm forced to make roster moves later at the risk of whatever continuity and chemistry we will have developed over the bulk of the season.

In hindsight, if it blew up in our face, we would still be 0-2 as we are today.

I see the way Miami used Cole last night as a great example of the potential payoff to the gamble. He's just as inexperienced in their system as Johnson is in ours and they had other options, but now they know in the early going that there are possibly a few situations where Cole can be used. Like all the other teams with no real pre-season, the early part of the shortened season might arguably be the time to take a look rather than wait.

Of course it's conjecture on my part, and I have zero knowledge of what Doc knows or what his plan is. I'm simply giving the same old fan's uninformed opinion.

To me, however, Miami presented a good example last night of why you might try the kids out early.

As ususal, Doc's still not ever going to sweat it out on my opinion! If I were a real NBA coach, however, I'd want to see what my potential weapons can do now. If it gives added rest to veteran players that's a bonus too, but not my primary mission.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Perhaps it's Danny's and Doc's plan to play the seniors to see how far they can go. If the season turns into a bust, they will have guys like KG and RA to trade way to a team close to making a run deep into the playoffs for some good young talent or draft choices.

Do not be too surprised if Danny trades away KG and/or RA for a young talent even if we are in playoff contention.

What Danny does near the trade deadline can set the team up for next year. Even with a lot of money, Boston may not be first on the list for many players so a trade for talent may be the answer in rebuilding the team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooltrikon Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:59 pm

I agree that early in the season is the time for Doc to give some of the young guys a look. Spo gave Cole a look, and he was instrumental in sealing a win for the Heat at the end of the game.

Sometimes I think that Doc is still suffering from the shock of that season when he had to play mediocre players and young players such as Gerald Green, Orien Green, Sebastian Telfair, Raef LaFrentz, Delonte West, Ryan Gomes, Wally S, etc. That season, Doc said that he called his father often in despair. I think Doc's father also passed away not long after that. It must still be a bad memory for Doc. Maybe Doc still associates young players and bench players with that memory.

Then the Big 3 arrived. And since then young guys and bench players don't get many minutes from Doc.

But, that said, I know that Doc is directly involved in this situation. And I am not. Doc is the coach. And I am not. However, if this season ends the way that last season did, then even more people are going to be asking why Doc doesn't try the young guys in certain situations.

Now is the time that the team can afford to give some of the young guys a look, in certain situations. All the teams look as though they are playing playground basketball right now, anyway. You don't have to know a big playbook in this post-lockout chaos.
Mooltrikon
Mooltrikon

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Mooltrikon wrote:Sometimes I think that Doc is still suffering from the shock of that season when he had to play mediocre players and young players such as Gerald Green, Orien Green, Sebastian Telfair, Raef LaFrentz, Delonte West, Ryan Gomes, Wally S, etc. That season, Doc said that he called his father often in despair.

Mool,

First of all, great to see you posting!

Second; That lineup you posted above gave me a little "throwback" chill too! I hope no-one reads that and then has nightmares.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:15 pm

NYCelt,

I'm hopeful that JJJ (and frankly Stiemsma even more so) can eventually be of help to the Celtics and perhaps even a stepping stone for the future. But I don't believe the timing's right for their use now (although any further injuries could force Doc's hand).

Cole was used with a safety net. If he bombed out, or just did okay, he had plenty of seasoned, talented, healthy, complementary, highly motivated guys around him to pull his fat out of the fire.

Would it really be fair to insert JJJ into a situation that was far from ideal? A situation where there was a gaping hole at the SF position, thus throwing both the offense and defense out of whack?

Cole was inserted into a scenario where he was positioned to succeed. The effectiveness of his teammates meant they had to be respected—at least a couple of them even double-covered from time to time. They were spacing the floor beautifully and running the butts off the Celtics. Small wonder that Cole felt comfortable because he was wide open to shoot from outside, had plenty of room to penetrate, and fed off the energy of home fans and teammates. I'm not downplaying the fact that he took advantage of his opportunity and attacked aggressively. But I'm also not downplaying the fact that, if he had failed, the Heat was in a great position to leverage its early large lead, put on more pressure, and pick him up by the bootstraps.

Doc's in a situation where he's got to get this team into winning mode NOW. This is not development time. He's playing to what the team's strength is supposed to be—veteran experience. If he had a team full of greyhounds, it would make sense to insert one more greyhound (or at least maybe an English Spaniel). But I'm afraid JJJ would have represented a square peg struggling for survival in a round hole. Unfortunately (from my point of view), we already have one of those (Bradley) operating for a few minutes per game.

Inserting a foreign element into a machine—especially a sputtering machine—is not done in a vacuum. It affects everything around it. In the case of a guy like Johnson, teammates would have to be sensitive to putting him in a position to succeed. (That's what Cole's teammates did.) Johnson's Celtics teammates were in semi-desperation, survival mode. Completely different situations.

As for losses being easier to absorb easier in the season, I don't necessary subscribe to that theory when it's a short season and the first few games can set the tone for the entire season. In hindsight, it's easy to say that, if JJJ had failed, we'd still be no worse off than 0-2 anyway. But, DURING THE GAME (which is when Doc would have had to make the decision), Doc didn't know in advance that they were going to lose. He was under the impression that they still had a chance to win. And he was darned close to being right.

Doc is doing a lot of experimentation. He's experimenting with combinations. He (reluctantly) experimented with the zone defense. But, for the most part, he's experimenting with his strongest suit—veterans—who are almost always more adaptable more quickly than young guys are. You're right that that Johnson's athleticism might possibly have slowed Bosh. But it wasn't athleticism that eventually slowed Miami's offense. It was the zone. How would JJJ have fared in the zone? I don't know, and I suspect Doc didn't know either. It would have been just one more chance he would have had to take—and possibly a low-percentage chance at that—in a game where he was already being forced to take other chances.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:26 pm

sam wrote:Folks, I'm sorry, but I don't quite get it.

In the first game, KG played 37 minutes and people were on Doc's case for playing him so much despite the fact that the Celtics were short on experience and scoring with Pierce out.

So then, after a day without playing (although it did include travel), KG played 32.5 minutes, and people were still on Doc's case despite the fact that Pierce was still out, the Celtics had lost another big man (Wilcox), and Jermaine was doing a vanishing act.

If KG were to play five minutes less in each successive game, would I keep reading complaints about Doc's rationing of his minutes even though he'd be down to 2.5 minutes per game by the eighth game of the season? Sure that's ridiculous and maybe even a tad sarcastic, for which I apologize. But let's get real for a minute.

For better or worse, KG is the guy who has been entrusted to play the majority of PF minutes this season. Get used to it. IF his skills are eroding, that's probably something we're going to have to live with and the team is going to have to adapt to. Brandon Bass has been very busy filling in for a virtually absent Jermaine O'Neal, and Bass can play only one position at a time. Wilcox may or may not turn out to be a reliably healthy, proficient PF sub.

As for inserting rookies, Doc's in the business of trying to put together an effective rotation on the fly, without benefit of that most precious of commodities—practice. It's trial and error, and you can try only so many experiments at a time. The three guard experiment is one that may be working out fairly well in certain circumstances. Would that experiment have worked out as well if Doc had simultaneously been experimenting with, let's say, Stiemsa or JJJ?

As for any eroding skills on KG's part, would it be prudent to withhold judgment on that until Pierce has been back for a while? Things like spacing and timing have a lot to do with KG's effectiveness. What may seem like fewer hops or less intensity may be at least partly caused by the facts that KG's taking on additional roles because (1) Pierce is out and (2) Jermaine seems ineffective. For example, KG may be staying outside so much because he's been trying to help space the floor in Pierce's absence and with Bass available to bang underneath. Moreover, in the Heat game, Miami was packing the middle and forcing the Celtics' offense to operate mostly on the perimeter.

Here's a question, and it isn't rhetorical because I don't have the answer. How has KG functioned during the first half of each game versus the second half of each game? Presumably, he's not as fatigued during the first halves, and I'd be interested in whether his performance has improved or deteriorated as time has passed in each game.

I'm not asking people to see me in April. But how about January? Better still, how about after the Celtics have had the entire roster available for at least five games? Of course, that could mean April.

Whatever the case, I am asking that people consider the fact that, in addition to working several players into the rotation and missing a major key to their continuity (Pierce), they're doing so on the fly. I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again. The greater the amount of adaptation forced upon a team, and the less continuity the team enjoys, the longer it's likely to take a long time before the team's close to maximum effectiveness.

I couldn't believe how smoothly the Celtics adjusted to playing a zone defense. That's a major adaptation, especially for a team that's not used to playing zone defense, to say nothing of playing it together, to say nothing of having had virtually no opportunity to practice it.

I'm as anxious as the next guy for this team to hit its stride. But, if 61 Celtics seasons have taught me anything, they've taught me to exercise a strong sense of reality and to be patient.

Thanks for reading. Go Celtics!

Sam

Well stated point of view Sam. While I think that age will be the ultimate downfall of this team, I'm prepared to also take it one game at a time. I got out of the business of second guessing the coach-General manager many years ago when I realized that my opinions had a great chance of being wrong (Never privy to all the insider information). In any event, I'll go along with the basketball smarts of Doc and Danny to do whats best for this team.
Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Great comeback against a VERY good Heat team and the 3 blind mice with whistles.

Even Steve Kerr, who is no Celtics fan - proclaimed out loud at lest 4 or 5 times that the Celtics got terrible calls.

I have said it before, and this is not just in response to Celtics games...but the refs in the NBA are BY FAR the worst in professional sports and they should have a mandatory retirement age - and grading system.

Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney should RETIRE...they simply cannot keep up with the modern game and end up being out of position over and over again.

Lets see what happens tonight...but they desperately need Pierce and Pietrus in the line up soon.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Sam,

Maybe as I get older I'm thinking younger!

But you're correct if your read is that I'm saying I would throw out the safety net on this one. I don't think that the team being in survival mode (which you're quite right they were) means it isn't time to see what a high draft pick can do. The veterans weren't getting it done.

Some coaches would have found good reason to throw in the towel early since we have a back-to-back, and did what we could to improve odds on at least one win out of three. While I don't advocate quitting I think as much benefit was available from trying a younger athlete known for defense (and has played a zone more recently than KG) as there was risk. Nothing would have stopped Doc from using the hook fast if Johnson was ineffective.

Now we go into NO with worn out veterans on a late-night flight that arrived in the wee hours. The Hornets are depleted, but relatively young, which helps set up a wonderful upset scenario for them.

Who knows, maybe Doc's plan is this is where the young players get some run.

My thinking is that Cole's odds of success or failure were no greater than Johnson's in a new situation. I would give him the opportunity in order to see what we have. I would have taken the risk because of the potential upside and the need to see if we have what it takes in our roster to make a deep playoff run. My personal opinion is I simply don't want to see us have to go shopping for spare parts without seeing what we've already got.

To my knowledge, Doc still hasn't requested my phone number however.

Regards

EDIT; By the way, my opinion may be moot. I'm not certain Johnson was even available last night.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:14 pm

With the injury to Wilcox and the long minutes played by KG to-date, I wouldn't be surprised if Doc goes deeper into the bench tonight.

Kaman is on NO. I don't think putting JJJ on him would be fair. Stiemsma? Maybe a better matchup. The Steamer is older and has more experience INCLUDING playing against Kaman last year.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:28 pm

NYCelt,

I just found out, last night, that teams are allowed to suit up 13 players during the early part of the season because of the rushed way in which the season is occurring. Pietrus was not suited up, so I guess either Johnson or Stiemsma would have been in uniform.

A couple of minutes of ineffectiveness, before there's even a stoppage of play to sub for a kid who's playing poorly, can turn the tide in the entire game. Or, in the case of last night, things could have spiraled out of sight, whereas Doc's approach at least gave them a chance to win the game.

Cole's insertion, when the Heat had a healthy lead, was an excellent move by Spoelstra to take advantage of the situation and give his young guy considerable minutes—and a corresponding move by Doc, when the Celtics had a sizable deficit, would have represented a panicky attempt to try a low-percentage way of reversing a situation that was giving seasoned players trouble—to say nothing about what it might have done to the kid's confidence.

Contrary to widespread opinion, I don't believe Doc's afraid to insert young players—at least those who have shown sufficient promise—when the time is right. He did it with Gomes, Davis and Powe, just to name three, when he had had plenty of time to observe them in practice.

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the exhibition season, JJJ hasn't had an opportunity to show sufficient promise. I don't feel a period when the team is trying to muster some momentum for the season represented an appropriate time to throw a kid like that "into the fire" (to borrow from a recent Doc quote).

To each his own, I guess. I think Danny must have mislaid my phone number too.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:29 pm

I commented on KG early in the game last night, he just didn't seem to be alive. However, when they started to come back, he did seem to perk up.
I honestly feel this is his last year. Danny isn't trading him, management has made it clear they would like both he and Ray to retire Celtics. Pags said it on Christmas, and I saw an interview with Wyc last week where he said the same thing. The thing is, I wouldn't quite put Ray in the same boat as KG. He still has the legs (6/8 three pointers last night), and the wear and tear on his body hasn't been what KG has gone through. 17 years is a long time to be putting yourself through this. I don't know, maybe I am wrong
and he just needs some time.

As far as those ref's are concerned I said it last night and I will say it again,
they need to retire NOW. Bavetta looks like death warmed over, Crawford is still a jerk, and Delaney just can't get it right, period.

All in all, it is easy to panic early, not me. Give me a healthy PP and Pietrus and I say we may have won both games.

For those hoping that JJJ gets his shot, it is too early! Doc won't do it unless
he is desperate, (he may have no choice tonight with Wilcox out)
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down