Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?

+5
mrkleen09
sinus007
bobheckler
NYCelt
Sam
9 posters

Go down

I know it's unlikely, but suppose Sacramento were willing to trade Demarcus Cousins to the Celtics straight-up for Jermaine O'Neal. (The salaries DO work, by the way.) Would you do it?

Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins? Vote_lcap45%Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins? Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 5 ]
Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins? Vote_lcap55%Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins? Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins? Empty Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?

Post by Sam Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:41 pm

It appears that Demarcus Cousins and the Kings are going to part company for one reason or another—ultimately owing to his attitude and/or demeanor. Other threads have discussed the pros and cons of considering a push for Cousins as a Celtic. This one's a simple "Yes" / "No" proposition, although anyone's welcome to express reasons.

Here's the question: Suppose Sacramento were willing to trade Demarcus Cousins to the Celtics, straight-up, for Jermaine O'Neal. Would you make the trade? Yes or No?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins? Empty Re: Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?

Post by NYCelt Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Answering your question as asked on talent alone, no outside reasons, no waffle action. Straight up for O'Neal; yes.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins? Empty Re: Poll: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Yes, I would trade JON for Cousins straight up. It can't happen, their salaries are too far apart, but I would do it. The reason is that Cousins has trade value, JON doesn't. Another reason is that JON is on his last legs, if he even has that, and Cousins is going on 22. Otherwise, I really have little interest in having a locker room cancer on the Celtics, but someone might and he might be a piece that Danny can hoodwink another GM into taking. I would take Cousins strictly as a trading chip.

I mean, the guy was told to stay home by the team because he got into a shouting match with Paul Westphal and demanded, loudly and in public, to be traded.

He's a low post player who shoots 42.5% from the floor career. He shoots 69% from the line. His assist-to-turnover ratio is horrid. He's big, that's it, he's big.

I'd start Stiemsma before I'd start Cousins and that would piss him off royally and he'd throw a tantrum like the immature little man-child he is.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi,
I said NO because he comes with the package that can be much worse than JON's health.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Interesting how a lot of the same people who complained about “team chemistry” last year, are first in line to add this cancer to a locker room that is just starting to get up to speed.

Paul Pierce said a big part of the problem last season was the immaturity from the bench players, DA agreed and shipped D West and Baby out of town. Now you guys want to add an even bigger cry baby to the mix?

The Kings are not just going to cut the guy anyway…they are going to want substantial pieces back in return…which the Celtics do not have.

No Thanks.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:38 pm

BobH,

The salaries work. Try Trade-checker. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:44 pm

sam wrote:BobH,

The salaries work. Try Trade-checker. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

Sam

sam,

Well, then, I'd hold my nose, pull the trigger and look for a buyer down the road for him.

Not going to happen, though, not unless Sacto is interested in just a pure salary dump. Interestingly, there are a lot of teams who are NOT interested in him and the ones that are have offered a relative pittance for the 2010 #5 pick and current starting NBA center. His reputation precedes him by a mile.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Cousins is a 21 year old extremely talented big man in the NBA.
Obviously he is very immature at the very least.
I think he will be a force in the NBA for many years.
I see him as an 18 pt, 12 reb player just on raw talent alone.

Sacramento could get a better package from 28 other teams then a Cousins for JON trade.

100% yes for any team to trade for him while he value is low.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:46 pm

bob,

How do you know what teams are/are not interested in Cousins and what offers have been made?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:05 pm

tjmakz wrote:bob,

How do you know what teams are/are not interested in Cousins and what offers have been made?

TJ,

NJ, Detroit, Toronto and Houston have made inquiries, as has the Celtics.

Cousins allegedly also asked to be traded during training camp.

Specific Rumors:
Bleacher Report says that the Raptors would consider trading last year's #5 pick, Valanciunias. A starting center for an unknown rookie.
DC Sports Daily says that the injured Ronnie Turiaf is bait. Gawd! Could you imagine that frontline?! But Turiaf is no Cousins.

Sacto is saying he's not available. BS, with few exceptions (Kobe, Pierce, LBJ etc) everybody's available. The issue is that everybody thinks there's blood in the water and is lowballing and Sacto's playing hard-to-get.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:20 pm

bob,

I am sure most teams have shown interest to Sacramento for Cousins.
We don't know what most teams offered, if they did make an offer.
Turiaf? He was picked up for nothing because Washington was under the salary cap and NY needed to shed more salary to sign Chandler.

Sacramento might be telling the truth that they are not looking to trade him. They will listen to offers, but I assume they will have to get top dollar for him. He could be a stud in the league for the next 12 years.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:16 pm

I voted no (big surprise). I agree completely with Kleen's reasoning, plus one other factor. This is the Celtics last run at a championship with the big three. They should be all-in with this group, this year, right now. You don't want to turn down opportunities to build for the future, but as you well know looking at the Celtics prior to 2007-08, being a championship contender is a precious, fragile thing, and even if Cousins could be a very good center five years down the road, he would hurt their chances this season. They cannot waste the energy it would require to tutor/mentor/quarantine him this season. JON, broken down as he is, is more valuable to the Celtics this season, and this season is what counts.

By the way, Kleen, I loved your Zach Randolph line on the other thread. Besides getting a good laugh out of it, Zach is a great example of a selfish, immature knucklehead who eventually became a productive player, which is the hope for Cousins. It took nine years for Randolph to get there. At this point, I don't think Cousins will undergo that same transformation, but I would've said the same about Randolph in his third season.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:13 pm

the last thing this team needs is a head case. Danny and Doc have been building a team of players who get along, work together and are glad to be here. This kid is too big for his britches, I don't want a head trip.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Yes,

Cousins needs a good tutor and mentor, no one better then Doc Rivers. That is why they gave him a 5 year contract for big dollars. There is 2 sides to basketball management, the GM who evaluates talent, the other is the coach who can unlock and bring out the talent in a player.

You also have KG to add his mentoring or strong arm to the equation!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Well, it looks as though this one's a slam dunk....a great big MAYBE! Actually, that's a misrepresentation because it implies a lot of people are on the fence. This guy really polarizes people. It's probably all moot because the Kings would be most unlikely to make that deal. But thanks to those who voted.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down