Article tracing shotblocking roots back to Bill Russell

3 posters

Go down

Article tracing shotblocking roots back to Bill Russell Empty Article tracing shotblocking roots back to Bill Russell

Post by Outside Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:33 pm

I found this article in the LA Times. Besides being a good read, it gives lots of credit to Bill Russell as the originator of modern shotblocking.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-art-of-the-block-20120124,0,6040738.story

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Article tracing shotblocking roots back to Bill Russell Empty Re: Article tracing shotblocking roots back to Bill Russell

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Great article, and in the LA Times no less.

Thanks, Outside.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Article tracing shotblocking roots back to Bill Russell Empty Re: Article tracing shotblocking roots back to Bill Russell

Post by Sam Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Outside, thanks for posting that link.

I'm not sure how many games and practices I spent watching Bill Russell like a hawk, but it was certainly in multiples of 100. And, of all the attributes and traits that came together to form the guy who was arguably greatest blocked shot practitioner who will ever live, there was one that I thought led the list. The ability to jump quickly.

Jumping high is nice. Having a great wingspan is nice. But the reason some of these later day players are talking about being able to wait for the release of the ball before jumping is all about the speed of the jump. Russ was definitely the fastest jumper I ever saw.

The speed of the jump spelled the difference between going for fakes and not going for fakes. Basically, the jump has to be faster than the upward flight of the ball. And, on the occasions when Russ' first block didn't go to a teammate, he could launch instantly into a second block without even bending his knees.

Bill Russell blocking a shot was the closest thing to a basketball ballet that I ever hope to see.

Thanks again.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down