Ainge thinks Kevin Garnett will pick Celts or retirement

Go down

Ainge thinks Kevin Garnett will pick Celts or retirement Empty Ainge thinks Kevin Garnett will pick Celts or retirement

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Boston Herald
By Mark Murphy

Danny Ainge said this morning that Kevin Garnett’s decision this offseason will likely involve either a return to the Celtics [team stats] or retirement.

The Celtics president of basketball operations added that he will likely know by Sunday — the first day of free agency — about what route his Hall of Fame center has chosen.

“I think that’s it. As of right now,” Ainge said when asked if Garnett was contemplating the Celtics or retirement, as opposed to taking offers from other teams.

“We’re having conversations with Kevin, but we don’t have any answers on whether he’s coming back or not,” he said. “I don’t think it will happen quickly. There’s no deadline with Kevin. Kevin is the only free agent we have we can talk to now. We don’t have to wait until July 1 because he’s eligible for an extension. The rest of our players, we have to wait until July 1.”

Ainge would clearly prefer a quick resolution — all-the-better to have a better idea of his approach to the free agency market this summer. Mickael Pietrus, who has been rehabbing his surgically-repaired right knee at the Celtics practice facility, admitted this morning that his own hopes to re-sign with the Celtics may depend on a Garnett return.

“Somewhat. We could be on hold,” Ainge said of the KG effect. “The sooner we get Kevin done the better it will be for us, and the sooner we have an idea of the direction we need to go.

“(But) we don’t want to rush him,” he said. “We don’t want to pressure him. You guys know Kevin.”

Ainge also indicated that he’ll have a good idea of Garnett’s intentions by Sunday, the first day of free agency.

“I’ll know that by July 1,” he said. “I’ll be in communication with him, and by then I will have a better feel.”

But the affect of Garnett’s decision on Ainge’s plans for tomorrow night’s draft aren’t nearly as important. The Celtics could still very easily take two young big men with the 21st and 22nd picks.

“Very little, especially since we have only four guys under contract,” said Ainge. “We have a lot of positions to fill.”

Beyond the draft, though, the Celtics’ world is very much on hold.

Pietrus, asked about his own plans, said, “Sunday” in reference to Garnett. ... Ainge said that it is very possible the Celtics could trade up tomorrow night if they think the right player is available. He estimated that the team has worked out 80 players. ... Pietrus said that his recovery from knee surgery has involved everything but running.

He estimates that in another month he will be able to resume basketball-related activity. ... Celtics rookie JaJuan Johnson, who is expected to have a big summer, with summer leagues scheduled for the Celtics in Orlando and Las Vegas next month, was working out with the Celtics staff this morning. ... Ainge declined comment on the NBA’s decision to award the Celtics the higher of Oklahoma City’s two second-round draft picks next year. The league determined that OKC’s cardiologist withheld information from Thunder management about Green’s heart that could have impacted the 2011 trade that brought him to Boston as part of a package for Kendrick Perkins [stats].

Back to top Go down