+6
dboss
RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
bobheckler
mrkleen09
10 posters

Go down

JUST IN - Reports: Celtics close to 3-year deal with Jason Terry Empty JUST IN - Reports: Celtics close to 3-year deal with Jason Terry

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:03 pm

REPORT: C'S 'REACH AGREEMENT' WITH TERRY

By: Paul Flannery

Yahoo's Marc Spears has the scoop that the Celtics have reached an agreement with free agent Jason Terry from the Mavericks for what would likely be the full mid-level exception. Spears notes the deal will be for three years. Signings can't be official until July 11 when the league completes its audit, so all agreements are verbal.

Terry will be 35 when the season starts, but he he's been a durable, and effective player throughout his 13-year career. He's missed just 16 games over the past five seasons and is a proven playoff performer.

Despite shooting 43 percent from the floor last season, Terry still averaged 15.1 points per page off the Mavericks' bench and he knocked down 38 percent of his 3-pointers. If the Celtics use the full mid-level exception -- starting at $5 million annually -- they would have to stay below the luxury tax "apron" of $74 million in total contracts.

Terry would help address scoring for the reserve unit, which was a major concern, and also be able to play the point in support of Rajon Rondo. Celtics' guard Ray Allen is meeting with Miami and the Clippers.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Posted by Gary Dzen, Boston.com Staff July 3, 2012 02:41 PM

The Celtics and free agent guard Jason Terry are in the final discussions on a three-year deal that would bring Terry to Boston, according to multiple reports.

Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears first reported that Terry and the Celtics were close to a deal. According to Spears' report, the deal will pay Terry the Celtics' mid-level exception. Spears also reports that the Celtics would like to sign both Terry and Ray Allen despite the two players having similar roles as shooters.

One caveat to all this is that no deal is done. Free agents can't be signed until the end of the NBA's moratorium on July 11. ESPN's Marc Stein confirmed the Yahoo! report but added a source told him Terry could go back to the Mavericks and use his deal with Boston as leverage.

Terry averaged 15.1 points and 3.6 assists for the Mavericks last season. As Dallas' sixth man, Terry played 31 minutes per game off the bench. He is 34.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Celtics close to agreement with Jason Terry

By Mark Murphy - BOSTON HERALD

The Celtics [team stats] may still have interest in re-signing Ray Allen, but they are on the verge of some interesting insurance at the shooting guard spot.

According to a source, the team has made great progress toward an agreement over the last hour in discussions with Jason Terry, the former Mavericks shooting guard and the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year during the 2008-09 season. Terry has been known over the years as a wiry defender and capable transition player. His spot-up style would work nicely with Rajon Rondo [stats]’s drive-and-dish game.

The contract would be the mid-level deal of $5 million for the first year.

But the source stressed that the Celtics remain interested in Allen, who has already talked with officials from Memphis and Minnesota this week, and plans to meet with Miami on Thursday and the Clippers on Friday.

The possible combination of Terry and Allen would give the Celtics a deadly mixture from downtown, though neither would likely start ahead of Avery Bradley.

There would also be the question of playing time. Allen, who looms as a likely starter for the Clippers, appears to want a more prominent role than the way Doc Rivers’ rotation may be unfolding.

Terry’s emergence as a Celtic also calls into question the team’s commitment to Mickael Pietrus, who is still waiting for a call from the team.

According to Pietrus’ agent, Bill McCandless, the tough-defending swingman has, in the meantime, been contacted by four other teams, including one with stronger interest than the others. Pietrus has talked directly with officials from two of those teams, including one coach.

A year ago, Terry averaged 15.1 points per game while shooting 43 percent for the field in 63 games for the Mavericks.

In his 13-year career, Terry is averaging 16.1 points and 4.7 assists per game. He is a career 44.8 percent shooter. He also shoots 85 percent from the line.

Last edited by 112288 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

JUST IN - Reports: Celtics close to 3-year deal with Jason Terry Empty Re: JUST IN - Reports: Celtics close to 3-year deal with Jason Terry

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Instant offense off the bench....with nerves of steel.

Clearly this is both an upgrade on last year and insurance against Ray leaving.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

JUST IN - Reports: Celtics close to 3-year deal with Jason Terry Empty Re: JUST IN - Reports: Celtics close to 3-year deal with Jason Terry

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:05 pm

And vice versa. If 34 year old Jason Terry can go back to Dallas and say "the Celtics think I'm worth $5M/year for 3 years", then the market (and the Celtics) can say to Ray Allen "what makes you think, coming off of ankle surgery at age 37, that you're worth as much or more than a 34 year old Jason Terry?"

Danny's covering his bases and, without being confrontational, forcing Ray and the GMs pursuing him, to reassess what he should be paid, I think.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:42 pm

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/terryja01.html

http://hoopshype.com/players/jason_terry.htm

He averages an acceptable 4.1 assists vs 2.3 TOs/36mpg. Ray Allen averages fewer assists/36mpg and fewer points.

If Ray comes back, and the public comments by the Celtics are that they want both Ray and Terry, then this is your backup point guard for Rondo.

Imagine a second unit backcourt of Terry and Allen. Holy Guacamole! Talk about firepower! Add Steamer, Sully and a SF of your choice (Daniels, Sasha, Green, Pietrus, Lasme) and that's a good bench.

I don't want to get my hopes up, I can't see how we can possibly have both (God loves me, but he doesn't spoil me), but I can dream can't I?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Chris Forsberg, of ESPN-Boston, Rapid Reaction to Terry news:

Rapid reaction as the Celtics neared an agreement with free agent shooting guard Jason Terry on a three-year deal at the full value of the mid-level exception:

* Bench scorer secured: The Celtics have been desperate for a consistent bench scoring threat in recent seasons and Terry, the league's former Sixth Man of the Year, provides instant offense for Boston. In the five seasons since moving to a reserve role in Dallas, Terry has averaged 16.5 points per game. Terry isn't afraid to fire away from beyond the arc (he was third in 3-point attempts last season) and shoots 38 percent there for his career. Overall, he shoots 44.8 percent from the floor overall and provides the exact type of offensive boost that Boston desperately needed in the postseason last month.

* Doesn't mean Allen's gone: A knee-jerk reaction will be that Terry is Ray Allen insurance in case Allen elects to sign elsewhere. Quite the opposite, the Celtics positioned themselves to have the full mid-level available while still allowing them space to offer Allen the two-year, $12 million deal with the goal of keeping him away from the Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, or any other suitor. Yes, there becomes a bit of a minute logjam, but Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has stressed a desire to limit the wear and tear on his veterans (a category to which both Allen and Terry -- and much of the roster -- would fall).

* Terry can facilitate the offense, too: Often overlooked by his point total is the fact that Terry has averaged 5 assists per game for his career and owns a 24.2 assist percentage for his career. The Celtics, who have often shunned a true backup point guard behind Rajon Rondo, can allow Terry to facilitate the second-unit offense without having a pure backup ball-handler take up a roster spot.

* The downsides?: The Celtics haven't been afraid to offer veterans long-term deals this summer (Garnett is 36 and just got three years, while Allen is 37 and is looking at a potential two-year offer). Terry will turn 35 before the start of next season and a three-year pact leaves Boston hoping his body holds up as well (fortunately, he's missed a mere 16 games in the past five seasons). It's not quite the youth movement some expected this summer from Boston, but it's hard to argue with Terry's offensive production in recent years. You can, however, wonder about his defensive talents. Terry is average at best and, according to Synergy Sports data, allowed 0.83 points per play last season, ranking in the 61st percentile among all NBA players. He's susceptible to the pick-and-roll and screens, but handles himself well against spot-up shooters.

* What's next for Boston?: The Celtics have to stress to Allen that this move simply makes them a deeper team with a better chance for a title run instead of cutting into his minutes and diminishing his role further (after losing his starting job a year ago). It remains in Boston's best interest to retain Allen, though Terry clearly adds insurance on the chance that he bolts. With the mid-level exception now utilized, Boston also must start addressing its end-of-the-bench options, which includes trying to find a way to retain the likes of Mickael Pietrus and Keyon Dooling with only the bi-annual exception remaining above a minimum contract. The Celtics also have to continue to explore the potential in bringing back forward Brandon Bass on a long-term deal and -- if they can't -- a sign-and-trade might be necessary to bring back an asset for next season.

Chris Tomasson tweet:

Jason Terry says that, if he joins the Celtics, he wants Ray Allen to return: "That wouldn't hurt,'' Terry said.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:08 pm

How many times during the year our bench came in, played good defense yet surrendered the lead because we could not score.

This is a pure upgrade and eliminates scoring droughts.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Just saw the report on ESPN as well.

On the down side we're not getting younger.

On the up side maybe our player's Social Security checks can get kicked in to help offset the luxury tax.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:29 pm

garnett, pierce, rondo, bradley, jj, the three rookies, now terry. where do we go from here? allen, bass, green, steamer? Then who???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Green, bass, allen may leave now Terry is on board. Steamer had am offer but may want more. May need to let him walk too. But would offer 1.5 -2 mill max for him.

If Allen walks, opens the door for Moore.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi,
That's a good news.
The only thing I'm wondering is how's his ball handling and distribution skills?
Can he serve as RR backup?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Moore if signed should be given a shot at winning an active bench position. The kid can shoot and he has good size at 6'5". Terry is only 6'2" but I like his high energy!

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi,
The latest from Mark Spears - JT has agreed to go to Boston.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:13 pm

3D Denis Scott on the NBA channel said it is an unbelievable signing for the Celtics!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Ray out, Terry in.

Kind of an even deal there.

What else is brewing?

Anyone we might sign below the basketball equivalent age of Methuselah?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi,
Now, that the first step has been made in the back, I wonder when and what steps will be made in the front. Back- and front-court, that is.
So far, we have only KG (I don't count draft picks and JJJ). But July is still young. DA has time before training camp. Hope he makes wise choices.

Meanwhile, Happy 4th of July, everyone!

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:43 pm

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 am

112288 wrote:HAPPY 4TH OF JULY

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

JUST IN - Reports: Celtics close to 3-year deal with Jason Terry Victory-1

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:29 pm

dboss wrote:Green, bass, allen may leave now Terry is on board. Steamer had am offer but may want more. May need to let him walk too. But would offer 1.5 -2 mill max for him.

If Allen walks, opens the door for Moore.

Dboss

dboss,

If we let Steamer walk, who is our first 5 off the bench? Melo? God Help Us. I think we need Steamer, flaws and all, more than we want to admit.

I think, with the Terry signing, we need him more than Ray, more than Bass. Is he worth as much as either of them on the open market? Perhaps not, but fair market value doesn't necessarily relate to our needs. Remember how thin we were at 5 last season after JON and Wilcox went down? Wilcox, even if he comes back, is not a legit NBA 5.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:38 pm

As I understand it, Wilcox likes playing the four, so you are right, money or not, I think they should definitely resign Steamer. He knows the system now, if he rehabs all summer, he will be the guy we all kind of fell in love with last year when he was playing on two good feet. Maybe they can work with him about the foul trouble he always got himself into!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi,
I agree with bob - Stiemsma is priority #1. Unless, of course, DA can find another 5 of the same or better level. I don't think there are many at the same price level.
I wonder what Minni offered or is going to offer to him and, how high DA is willing to go.

Of the same importance, IMO, is to sign JG. I'm kind of worry: it's been 4 days and nothing's heard about him. I saw a note that Chris Wilcox is cleared to play but I haven't seen or missed the same about JG. Hope he is.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:20 pm

I have seen and read that both David Falk, his agent and the Celtics are claiming that he will return to the Celtics. I would have thought he would have been the next signing after KG and the Ray offer, even before Terry. Only because they both said it was coming. What could be the holdup? Money?
Terms of contract, length? We also haven't heard a word about Bass either.

I know we are all impatient to see the roster set, at least the first ten players or so, after that maybe Danny has it all set in his head!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Saw Danny interviewed last night. He said he can't wait to see how Sully does at the 5! Then they showed Sully saying he would play anywhere they wanted him and would love to learn the 5 position. Danny says the 4 and 5 are not that different.

Danny also said flat out that Jeff Green is coming back. It sounded like a done deal mainly because Green wants to be a Celtic.

The other interesting tidbit had to do with Bradley, who may not be back until December and has the reporters calling him injury-prone. Is that the real reason for the Terry signing?

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:00 pm

These reports about players health are becoming over the top.

The kid played hard nose basketball and was hit in a physical game first on a pick and then under the basket. That started the instability in his shoulder.

So what else is new if you play physical basketball. You want some cream puff staying out in the perimeter?

Give me a break with the media!

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Don't get me started with the media, please. My favorite media failure is the steroids scandal. How in damnation did they miss that? Mark McGuire goes from 10 home runs a year to 60 and none of them even raised the question. I say we need more female reporters!!!

In this case, though, they seem to have forgotten that Bradley hurt his second shoulder trying to play through the pain of the first. He had the knee thing out of college, so he's suspect in their blind eyes. Actually, it's indicative of how petty their outlook is.

There was no mention that he's a warrior, a front line fighter. Doc says, "Go cover Lebron," and Bradley says, "I'll tellya what flavor later."

They used to dismiss him because he supposedly couldn't score. Then he showed what speed and agility can do if you add intelligence, court sense and desire. He doesn't fit their molds so he scares them. When you look back, however, so many Celtics didn't fit the mold. Bradley's in good company.

Oh, they also didn't mention that the reason for the late return is because doctors didn't want him, with both shoulders operated on, to be denied the use of both hands at the same time. Wouldn't ya luv to know how Bradley felt about it. Mr. Gungho. Go ahead, docs. It's only a scartch.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:08 pm

I've always been mystified by what "fit the mold" really means. Does it mean being a multi-tool player? Does it mean becoming a star? Does it mean filling a certain need?

I believe the more appropriate term for a Celtics player is ability to fill a certain role. Of course, it's nice for every player to have multiple talents, but Celtics players have tended to emphasize one main attribute from the days of Cousy (playmaker) to Russell (dominating the other team with rebounding and defense) to Cowens (out-energizing the other team with feistiness and determination) to Bird (scoring) to KG (tenacious defense) to Pierce (slasher, now changing to perimeter threat).

I'd be ecstatic if Sullinger can fill the Cowens role. It would be great if Melo (in time) can approach the primary KG role.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down