RIVERS: 'WE COULD REALLY USE' DELFINO

5 posters

Go down

RIVERS: 'WE COULD REALLY USE' DELFINO Empty RIVERS: 'WE COULD REALLY USE' DELFINO

Post by 112288 Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:03 pm

WEEI
By: Ben Rohrbach

The Celtics' rumored interest in Carlos Delfino emerged a few weeks ago, but coach Doc Rivers told Argentinian website Olé that while the C's have looked into signing the free agent swingman, they likely won't have enough money to lure him to Boston.

"We've looked, and I wish we had the money to add him," said Rivers. "We could really use him." Rivers praised Delfino's ability to strip the ball defensively (1.5 steals per game defensively this past season) and move it offensively (2.3 assists per night in 2011-12). "They've turned him into a shooter," added the Celtics coach, "but he can give you more."

The Bucks' rumored negotiations with Mickael Pietrus might signal the end for Delfino in Milwaukee, but a handful of other teams have reportedly expressed interest in Delfino, so it's unlikely the C's -- who can only offer him the $1.15 million veteran minimum or $1.96 million bi-annual exception -- would win a bidding war.

The 29-year-old Delfino averaged 9.0 points (40.2 FG%, 36.0 3P%, 79.2 FT%) and 3.9 rebounds in 28.5 minutes a night over 54 games for the Bucks this past season. He required sports hernia surgery in May but has returned to average 15.2 points (50.0 FG%, 35.5 3P%, 45.5 FT%), 2.4 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.2 steals per game for his native Argentina in the Olympics this summer.

Back to top Go down

RIVERS: 'WE COULD REALLY USE' DELFINO Empty Re: RIVERS: 'WE COULD REALLY USE' DELFINO

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:20 am

I haven't watched Carlos Delfino enough to have a firm opinion of him, but the times I have seen him he has not impressed. This despite my open admiration for Argentinean players in general. On this team, with $8M-man Jeff Green backing up Paul Pierce, he won't see many minutes.

Would Delfino be a short term upgrade over Joseph? Perhaps, given he has played in the league for years, but would he be happy playing the role of Sasha Pavlovic, because that's what we're talking about. Not even Mickael Pietrus, Sasha. Or maybe Marquis Daniels. He might be an upgrade over Sasha, although I liked Sasha, but the other complications might offset those upgrades.

Fortunately, like Pietrus, Delfino thinks he's too good for the veteran's minimum, so this is all moot.

What we don't want, I think, is to do another "major mid-season addition". PJ Brown worked out great, but the rest didn't, which is why none of those mid-season additions are still with the team. So I can understand Doc and Danny's desires to get a proven veteran for depth, rather than rely on Joseph (Courtney Lee has been mentioned at SF, even Xmas, but I don't see them there) and get them in for camp.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

RIVERS: 'WE COULD REALLY USE' DELFINO Empty Re: RIVERS: 'WE COULD REALLY USE' DELFINO

Post by worcester Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Bob, any news on the Jeff Green signing? Danny's quite the poker player. W
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:50 pm

worcester wrote:Bob, any news on the Jeff Green signing? Danny's quite the poker player. W

worcester,

As far as I know he's still unsigned.

Yes, Danny is QUITE the poker player. I'd love to watch him play, not sure I'd like to sit at the same table and play against him.

Not sure I understand this waiting strategy, though. He can't sign-and-trade because, under the new CBA, a player has to be on the team's roster as of the end of last season to be signed-and-traded and Green wasn't. We're over the salary cap, so even if Green were to agree to a cheaper deal to free up money for another quality free agent that won't work, since we can't offer anybody more than the bi-annual exemption or the vet's minimum regardless. I just don't understand what there is to gain by waiting. Is he expecting Josh Smith to be amnestied and wants to keep Green's money available for that? Don't hold your breath, Danny, Danny Ferry's not that stupid. Besides, anybody of quality who is amnestied, like the way Luis Scola was, has to clear waivers and the chances of them being snapped up before we have a shot at them is probable.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Maybe there's an ongoing medical issue Danny is waiting to see resolved.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:25 pm

worcester wrote:Maybe there's an ongoing medical issue Danny is waiting to see resolved.

worcester,

BINGO!

Leave it to me to forget about the almost life-ending medical condition from last year.

Duh.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:20 pm

I think it has something to do with how he is going to be paid. How much up front seems to be the issue. I think Danny is holding out to see if he wants to sign someone else (big), and I think we are the ones with the issue, not Green or the Celtics. He is still going to get the $36 million, it is just how it is going to be distributed. I read this some where on the Celtics Blog. Maybe I am wrong, but I think the kid is health. Read the blog today, a story about him and his surgery and recovery.

Am I naive????

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:00 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I think it has something to do with how he is going to be paid. How much up front seems to be the issue. I think Danny is holding out to see if he wants to sign someone else (big), and I think we are the ones with the issue, not Green or the Celtics. He is still going to get the $36 million, it is just how it is going to be distributed. I read this some where on the Celtics Blog. Maybe I am wrong, but I think the kid is health. Read the blog today, a story about him and his surgery and recovery.

Am I naive????

Rosalie

Seems there are not that many options when carving the turkey. White or dark meat fat or thin slices. The delay can't be money alone there has to be more. Health would appear to be the most logical choice but who knows.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down