+5
tjmakz
beat
sinus007
Sam
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Rajon Rondo predicts NBA championship for Boston Celtic Empty Rajon Rondo predicts NBA championship for Boston Celtic

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Rajon Rondo predicts NBA championship for Boston Celtics, says Los Angeles Lakers have done nothing yet
Published: Friday, August 31, 2012, 9:03 AM Updated: Friday, August 31, 2012, 9:27 AM
Jay King, MassLive.com By Jay King, MassLive.com

Rajon Rondo, as usual, is confident in the Boston Celtics.

Despite adding several impact players after falling just 10 minutes short of an NBA Finals berth, the Boston Celtics aren't considered among the first tier of contenders by most analysts.

Too much could go wrong: What if Kevin Garnett finally begins to act his age? What if he, Paul Pierce or Rajon Rondo get injured? What if Avery Bradley can't repeat his breakout sophomore season after shoulder surgery that robbed him of an offseason? What if rebounds routinely fall into opponent's hands and easy baskets are difficult to come by because, let's face it, the Celtics have very few players who can score at the rim?

Rondo surely knows the questions, but he also believes Boston will have the right answers. The All-Star point guard didn't wait long to predict an NBA championship according to Hong Kong's The Standard, which reports that "Rondo said he expects the Celtics to unseat Miami and win the NBA title in the coming season."

"I think because we have a talented group of guys... the additions of Courtney Lee, [Jason] Terry and Jeff Green," Rondo said.

"We have high expectations every year... I think we got a lot better than last year."

Rondo, in Hong Kong as part of his Red Bull tour, didn't limit his brash words entirely to the Celtics.

The Standard also reported that "Rondo said [the Los Angeles Lakers have] done nothing yet and it's all on paper."

He's referring, of course, to the Lakers adding Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, which does make the Lakers quite scary in theory even if Rondo won't consider them legitimate before they at least play a few games.

Rondo's not cocky, he's confident.

Or maybe he's just cocky.

bob

My Note: Obviously I hope he's right, the same way Jason Terry is predicting a championship by tattooing the leprechaun and the Larry O'Brien trophy on his arm. I'd just prefer that he shut up and ball. If the Lakers are all "on paper" then so are we and every other team in the league except for the Heat. Maybe we need a gag rule on players and the press for the off-season, like the way we had during the lockout between players and management?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rajon Rondo predicts NBA championship for Boston Celtic Empty Re: Rajon Rondo predicts NBA championship for Boston Celtic

Post by Sam Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:25 pm

I couldn't agree more, Bob. Today's pro athletes tend to stray far beyond their native capabilities. They think they're entertainers one day and businesspeople the next. They make brash predictions which extend far beyond the sphere of confidence. The only reason Rondo's comment won't be bulletin board material is because grease boards are now the medium of choice.

While Rondo remains my favorite current Celtic play, I fear the day when he's the chief player spokesman for the team. I'm afraid he'll almost certainly aid in rending the fabric of the Celtics' tradition in ways the entire jealous remainder of the pro basketball world will just relish.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Rajon Rondo predicts NBA championship for Boston Celtic Empty Re: Rajon Rondo predicts NBA championship for Boston Celtic

Post by sinus007 Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi,
Oh, c'mon guys. We're in the middle of Prediction season. Everybody predicts something, so why not Rondo.
FWIW, I concur with him.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:08 pm

Sinus

If he's going to say/predict something... I prefer this over any alternative!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Well, since it's a Prediction season let me do some of it, too.
I think if AB comes back by X-mas time and shows the same level as he had at the end of the last season, by the end of January/beginning of February DA trades BB+CL for Josh Smith. This, of course, propels Celtics into the front row of contenders. Finals: Celtics-4 vs OKC-3.
And please don't tell me you don't like this scenario (I'm talking about the last part) Laughing

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:31 pm

sinus007 wrote:Well, since it's a Prediction season let me do some of it, too.
I think if AB comes back by X-mas time and shows the same level as he had at the end of the last season, by the end of January/beginning of February DA trades BB+CL for Josh Smith. This, of course, propels Celtics into the front row of contenders. Finals: Celtics-4 vs OKC-3.
And please don't tell me you don't like this scenario (I'm talking about the last part) Laughing

AK

Sinus,

BB and CL for Josh Smith is a little light on the talent side for Atlanta, but I think the deal breaker is the years that BB and CL have on their contracts.
Danny Ferry was determined to shed salaries which led to the Joe Johnson trade and the Marvin Williams trade.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Sinus,

I believe people will perceive Rondo's remark not as a prediction but as bragging-sort of trash-talking without the forum of a game going on. I value a Celtics tradition that has, for the most part, stayed away from braggadocio. Larry might have strayed a bit; but, for in large part, the great Celtics teams have been pretty united on that front. It seems to me that the risk/reward ratio of bragging is extremely disadvantageous.

As for fans wanting to predict, I'm happy for them. I've even run any number of polls on the board asking for predictions on various matters. I just choose not to be a person who predicts, even though I think I'd be pretty good at it. Nothing of note to gain and too much to lose reputationally.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:37 pm

TJ,
Yes, you're probably right. But, as you know, stranger things have happened in the NBA.

Sam,
".... even though I think I'd be pretty good at it. ....." - see, you already are predicting Smile
So, couple steps more, c'mon. And don't be afraid - I won't hold you responsible and my respect for your vast knowledge of basketball and Celtics will not diminish.
Also, from the "gambling" standpoint: if you make prediction at the end of August and it doesn't pan out in May-June nobody will remember. OTOH, if it does pan out - you have all the bragging rights in the world.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:51 pm

Sinus,

An opinion is not a prediction. I don't need bragging rights to make me feel good about myself, and the fact is that—depending on who's involved—people actually do remember wrong predictions and are not reluctant to employ it to impugn someone's credibility. It happened all the time at BDC—especially to people who posted a lot.

If you ever do see me predict anything, you can bet it will be on a sure thing. Just the other night, I predicted to a friend that her daughter would shortly be living with the daughter's boyfriend. The friend laughed at me until her daughter called the following day to give her the news that she was now living with her boyfriend. What the friend didn't know was that I had talked with the daughter after the move had been completed and before I made the prediction. Sure things. The only way to fly!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Sam

I think you and some of the more old school contributors out here vastly underestimate the level of trash talk from players in the past - and greatly over value the "damage" that such comments from Rondo could make to the long term image of the Celtics.

Aside from uber fans like us - no one is even paying attention to Rondo this time of year - and there is nothing he can say or do that will undo 60+ years of tradition and winning established here in Boston.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:34 pm

I do wish someone would put a muzzle on him!!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Talking got them into big trouble last spring when Paul and KG pushed Lebron into an emotional corner where he either had to step forward or step out. So he stepped all over the Cs and the Thunder and the world. Is it possible that, as a team, they didn't get it?

The whole Lebron hazing thing is reminiscent of the Tragic Johnson razzing that had such bad consequences.

They should all wear muzzles this year.

Rondo's words were no big deal and it may be possible he feels he has to talk that way to motivate himself. It's almost certain that he's extremely excited about having a stable full of fast horses to run with. He knows better than anyone how close they came last year, he showed up at summer league. no doubt he'll be at Healthpoint shortly. He's psyched, hungry, and that part is great.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:17 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Sam

I think you and some of the more old school contributors out here vastly underestimate the level of trash talk from players in the past - and greatly over value the "damage" that such comments from Rondo could make to the long term image of the Celtics.

Aside from uber fans like us - no one is even paying attention to Rondo this time of year - and there is nothing he can say or do that will undo 60+ years of tradition and winning established here in Boston.

"aside from uber fans like us".

Well said, sir, well said.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Mrkleen,

I'm speaking solely of the kind of trash talking that takes place through public statemens to the media—not the kind on the floor. As far as trash-talking on the floor, there was definitely some. Sam would say "Too late" whenever he hit a jumper over Wilt, and Russ would frequently ask the opposing center (including Wilt) why his teammates were ignoring him on offense. But there's a vast amount of difference between the sheer volume of trash talking that takes place now compared to then. Exponentially more.

I'm not underestimating the amount of Celtics trash talking that transpired through the media in years gone by because I scrutinized every syllable of Celtics coverage intently. It virtually never happened

As for today, I'm not all that concerned about implications that might be linked with this specific Rondo statement. I'm thinking about the broader picture—a sort of pattern I think I see forming that reflects some questionable judgment on Rondo's part in terms of statements he makes to the press. He's almost inviting challenges. And that tendency is perfectly consistent with the reputation he's been developing for being stubborn and petulant. Maybe this statement slides by. Maybe the next one too. And the next one. But, sooner or later, the timing of an ill-advised Rondo comment could easily backfire on the Celtics—or perhaps on Rondo personally.

With growing ability levels come growing responsibilities. I hope Rondo can learn to fill those responsibilities like a true leader.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:34 pm

rickdavisakaspike wrote:Talking got them into big trouble last spring when Paul and KG pushed Lebron into an emotional corner where he either had to step forward or step out. So he stepped all over the Cs and the Thunder and the world. Is it possible that, as a team, they didn't get it?

Lebron is the most talented player in the world. Are you seriously suggesting that KG and Pierce trash talked to James and THAT is what pushed him and the Heat over the top? That is simply ludicrous.

sam wrote: With growing ability levels come growing responsibilities. I hope Rondo can learn to fill those responsibilities like a true leader.

This I totally agree with...and I am in no way suggesting that I am happy about Rondo and his lack of humility. But if that is what drives him to be a human triple double machine- so be it.

Larry Bird taked trash on and off the court....and then backed it up. If Rondo does the same, I can live with it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:26 am

Mrkleen,

Yup, Larry was an exception—possibly the only one from the past—although I don't recall seeing or hear a lot of outlandish statements from him in the media. It seems to me that most of them occurred on the court or in the locker room and were then reported by the media.

I agree with you that we very often have to take the bad with the good because the very same traits that produce one also produce the other. I just hope that Rondo can exercise some control the trash talk off the court because it can affect teammates as well as opponents. The media will always be around looking for sensationalism.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:49 am

MrK -

This is must reading for uber Celtic fans. Following is the portion of a Bill Simmons article that Outside kindly posted some time back about what caused Lebron to step up his game. The link is at the end.

" . . . So what actually changed? For one thing, Dwyane Wade injured his knee and became 70 Percent Of Dwyane Wade, inadvertently solving the "dueling banjos" dilemma. The Heat tried to thwart six decades of NBA history by teaming two alpha dogs together, making them equals and assuming their overwhelming talent would overcome any resulting bumpiness. They were wrong. Basketball doesn't work that way, for the same reason you don't need two transcendent lead guitarists for a rock band. Someone had to learn bass. It ended up being Wade, and only because fate intervened. We'll remember Game 6 of the Boston series for a variety of reasons, but mainly because LeBron looked around and said, I'm going down on my own terms. I'm playing all 48 minutes and scoring 50 points. If we lose, we lose. At least nobody will say that I rolled over. It ended up being the most important two hours of his career. He went out and assassinated the Celtics.

From that moment forward, Dwyane Wade became a glorified sidekick. Everything Miami did offensively went through LeBron. Wade quickly figured out how to coexist, grabbing stray shots and doing anything else the team needed: protecting the rim, crashing the boards, bolting toward the rim for backdoor passes anytime Oklahoma City forgot about him. You couldn't even call him more valuable than Chris Bosh, who reestablished himself in those last seven playoff games as a quality defender, screen-and-roller and inside/outside threat who didn't need the ball to thrive. Was Wade happy about how it played out? Absolutely … because they won. Tellingly, of course, he made a point of mentioning how "difficult" that adjustment was.

And that's only scratching the surface. Imagine you're Wade. Imagine you talk Bosh and LeBron into joining YOUR team and living in YOUR city. Imagine that first year going to hell. Imagine coming to the begrudging realization that you're only going as far as LeBron takes you, that — even though it's your city, and you're the one who gets introduced last at every home game — you're going to have to wear the Robin costume. By Game 2 of the Finals, everyone is wondering whether you're the same guy you used to be; meanwhile, you've never had to take a backseat on a basketball court before, and that's what is screwing you up more than anything. By Game 5, you're listening to your fans serenade LeBron with "M-V-P!" chants as he holds two trophies like a hunter holding a couple of deer heads. You're standing on the side, just like Shaq six years ago. Maybe that's what he meant by "difficult."

Just know the situation was resolved organically, much like it was during the 2008 Olympics, when Spain was closing in and Kobe said I got this, followed by everyone else letting him have it. That's just how basketball works. You can't have two guys saying "I got this." Miami figured that out a year late. And if Wade hadn't tweaked his knee, maybe they never would have.

The other twist of fate: Derrick Rose wrecked his knee in Round 1, propelling the Celtics into the Conference Finals … you know, LeBron's nemesis, the bullies who beat him in 2008 and 2010, the grizzled veterans who were convinced that LeBron would always cave when it mattered most. Garnett and Pierce loved pushing his buttons more than anyone. During their final regular-season road trip to Miami, which turned out to be a surprisingly easy win for the Celtics, they spent the last two minutes busting Wade's balls about LeBron. You picked the wrong guy. You'll never win with that guy. LeBron could hear everything. They didn't care. In Game 5 of their playoff series, Garnett and Pierce pushed things a little further, believing that LeBron was ready to cave again. Down the stretch, Garnett muttered derisive obscenities under his breath anytime LeBron was in earshot, then stuffed him at the rim on a pivotal drive. A little bit later, Pierce nailed a back-breaking 3 right in LeBron's mug, then yelled, "I have the balls to take that!" as he trotted back down the floor.

In retrospect, they pushed him too far. The Celtics regarded LeBron with a surprising amount of disdain — that's why Rondo angrily yelped, "Let's go!" before defending LeBron's final drive of regulation in Game 2. LeBron ended up settling for a 21-footer against someone seven inches shorter than him, followed by Rondo strutting back to the huddle and probably telling his teammates, "I knew he didn't have the balls to come at me." They spent that whole series challenging his manhood; by the end of Game 5, they thought they had broken him. Was that what turned him into a serial killer in Game 6? Not entirely … but it definitely helped. I just don't think LeBron makes LeLeap without the bullies from Boston."

Here's the link.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8085525/lebron-makes-leap

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:57 am

Hi,
Here's my theory of why RR said what he said. I know that part of it was discussed ad nauseum, so don't be too harsh on me.
What RR said was a message to Ray Allen. I believe that one of the reason for RA's move was he desperately wanted one more ring (remember that story about his conversation with MJ: when you get the second ring than we'll talk). So, RR said: "You will loose you gamble, we'll get the rings but you will not."
Yes, RR should've kept his mouse shut and deliver that message only after eliminating Heat in ECF.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 am

I guess I have always been a proponent of making your playing do your talking for you. If Ray left for another ring, good luck. Gee, if he had waited maybe he could have signed with the Lakers, as they seem to be a team possibly in his way!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Seems to me that Rondo is just parroting Doc about needing to do what is possible on paper. It's what he learned from Doc and the Big Three. Not bragging as much as stating confident opinion. These dayz one only have a twitter account to provide dry erase material. It's not all that important a comment at this stage of the season. oh well....lol
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

So Spike.

Who inspired Lebron during the olympics?

Do you have some second hand account of a player from France getting him fired up to carry the team to gold? What about 3 of the last 4 years when he won the MVP?

I find the idea that the best player on the planet needs motivation from trash talking is silly.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Well, if you must know, according to sources, Tony Parker snuck up behind Leb, gave him a wedgie, and yelled, "KG said you had no balls!!!"

This is a tale still being written, The Legend of King James. Can he do it not five times, not six times, not . . . ummm. (Cough Cough Cough).

Put your mouth where your money is, alloyas. Can Lebron and the Heat repeat?

I say they can't play the team game - it's the king's Achilles heel - and they'll implode in the face of adversity in the playoffs. The Celtics will beat them and the reason is because they will master the team game.

As for trashtalking, just because Lebron's an incredible athlete doesn't mean he's emotionally invulnerable.

He's all-too-human. KG and Paul bullied him and he fought back. It's the first thing he's done that impresed me. Let's see what happens next season when a guy half his size, Avery Bradley, steals his lunch.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi,
This is just a wonderful story that Bill Simmons came up with: about KG and PP pushing LJ onto the next level of his greatness. It'll probably become a "well known fact" in a few years.
Sure, LJ's performance in game 6 of ECF was incredible. But what Bill Simmons et al forgot to mention is that there's a very high probability that if the game 1 and 2 were officiated the same way as games 3, 4, and 5 there wouldn't be game 6.

As for the Celtics going past the Heat in 2013, I have no doubt that if all major players on both teams are healthy and Celtics are playing with the same resolve as they did in 2012 the Heat don't stand a chance.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down