Marcus's JV Basketball adventure

5 posters

Go down

Marcus's JV Basketball adventure Empty Marcus's JV Basketball adventure

Post by beat Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 am

After getting the "green" llight from Sam (a minor Celtic plug) I thought I would continue the saga of my sons exploits that I used to do on BDC in years past. Many on Sams site have met him during the 2 parties we attended in Boston.

So to bring others up to speed about him a bit, here goes.

My son is 14yrs 8mths old. When he was born he came into the world at a little over 11 pounds and was a little over 24 inches long. Yeah there was a lot of him. He currently is just a shade over 6' in his bare feet. Although baseball is his better sport ( he's a lefty pitcher with some pop with his arm and his bat) he loves basketball and had little choice in our house of being a Celtic fan.

This year as a Freshman in high school he went out for the Junior Varsity Basketball Team with 25 other kids. The coach was only going to keep 13. To add to this, the week before tryouts he missed 4 days with the flu. Although he seemed confident he would make it, I wasn't quite so sure. Anyway the cuts are behind us and he not only made it but has been working with the starters as either the 4 or the 5. His shooting is very good and he usually makes 20+ free throws in 25 attempts in practice. And to top this off, his first quarter academic average is 95+.

The team has its first competition tomorrow in a scrimage. Two more follow later this week and his first game will be on 12/1/09.

I realize some on here may not care about this at all and thats fine but I also know he has many friends on here that have met him and many others who have not. My avatar photos are usually of him either playing hoops or baseball. My current one shows him boxing out on a foul shot attempt.

I don't have any expectations for him on the court this year other than to learn a bit more, have fun, and win a little, hopefully. I know he will play hard. I guess evrything else will be "gravey on the potatoes" as Jeb might say.

As I will be keeping the stats for the Coach I will have a good handle on his game and those of his teamates. The Coach has a good bunch of kids and even the "last" kid on the bench is a pretty good player, and I have no idea who that is either. Unfortunately there are a couple of them who may have some issues with grades, and at least Marcus doesn't have to worry about that.

So keep an eye out for his adventures and I will attempt to post a few photos too when I can.

And Sam,

Thanks for the use of your site!

beat

Last edited by beat on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Marcus's JV Basketball adventure Empty Re: Marcus's JV Basketball adventure

Post by Sam Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 am

Hey Beat,

Would you say you're proud of Marcus? LOL.

As we discussed, off the board, I think it's perfectly appropriate for you to have an ongoing thread dedicated to Marcus so that people who are interested in his exploits will always know exactly where to go for the latest update and to comment on them.

Go Marcus!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:18 am

beat,

Good luck to Marcus!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Beat, the great George Strait sings about the secrets and the power of a father's love. No matter how, or who, relates to your updates, your dedication will always be fuel for Marcus to reach the next level. I definitely can relate to how powerful that belief can be, particularly when one is the underdog!!

Thanks for the updates. I hope Marcus is, more than anything, having great fun playing a great sport.

David
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:06 pm

beat,

I've been waiting for this!

Thanks for keeping us posted; I look forward to following Marcus' progress. He's going to get some serious playing time, has a 95+ average and as those of us who have met him can attest, he's a great kid. Most important thing I've read here yet.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down