Rondo goes streaking!!

4 posters

Go down

Rondo goes streaking!! Empty Rondo goes streaking!!

Post by Matty Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:23 pm

I think we all recall the new & improved post all star break Celtics of last year- KG @ Center, peirce playing better- and um, turning the team totaly around...

and there was Rondo's assist streak, which took a break at the end of the season with 24 consecetive games with 10+ dimes, good enough to take a summer break in the record books as the 6th longest such streak in nba history.

Of course, the streak still lives despite a win by the heat the other night, and now Rondo (at 25 games) is right on the heels of John Stockton 3 27 game streaks, to tie the record for second place (also with stockton) would require 4 more games and then comes the biggie.. Magic Johnsons 44 game streak (19 more games to tie that).

While surpassing the Stockton records of 27 and 29 are now easily within reach, how much of a baring would that have on Rondo's legacy?

more importantly, though much, much more difficult, wouldnt it be nice to see a Laker players record fall to a Celtic?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Rondo goes streaking!! Empty Re: Rondo goes streaking!!

Post by Outside Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:42 am

Is it a "record" if it overlaps seasons like that? That seems sort of odd.

Anyway, I did a search with the Streak Finder on basketball-reference.com, and I found a streak by Stockton of 37 games, from 2/27/89 to 11/29/89 (also across two seasons).

http://bkref.com/tiny/VXMuZ

By the way, the longest streak I could come up with for Steve Nash was 14, and the longest for Chris Paul was 12. Just gives some perspective as to how impressive Rondo's streak of 25 is.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 am

Hey Outside, you answered your own question!!

Aren't they the best kind?

I think I remembered the streak being carried over to the playoffs at the time. Then, during the playoffs it was broken. With the first round being shown on Comcast (or in the pregame show lin later rounds), our studio guys made comments about it as well as others on another blog that I read. I was thinking at the time that many streaks of this kind would get broken if they ran into the playoffs. Shorter rotations, better players, better defense, etc. results in lower scores and lower stat numbers in general (except turnovers?)

I'm glad to see they can carry it over to the next season by calling it a regular season record. I don't remember the talking heads mentioning that possibility at the time. They may have during the halftime of the games, though. I DVR the games and usually blast through the halftime show. I press the SKIP FWD button 33 times and it brings me to the beginning of the 3rd quarter. It works that way for football as well. 33 is such an easy number to remember, at least for me.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Rondo will set so many records by the end of his career that this streaking thingy will just be one among many. There is only one record that I want to see Rondo break and that is the one for rings. That, by the way, would be a team record. Those are the kind that count the most.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down