Marbury coming to town (not Boston)

5 posters

Go down

Marbury coming to town (not Boston) Empty Marbury coming to town (not Boston)

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:28 pm

File this under shocking and good!

I live in a suburban town outside the Rochester, NY area. For those who have no idea of where that is think east of Buffalo and nearly centered on the south shore of Lake Ontario.

Stephon Marbury met with over 100 community leaders and educators here about his plans to open a youth center in the city of Rochester yesterday (Friday, the 16th). The center would offer educational programs and include athletic clinics and a wellness center. The center would be run by a local committee. He has plans to open similar centers in other cities as well.

Marbury had befriended someone here and claims that a part of the inner-city reminds him of Brooklyn. There is a tough, poverty stricken area in the city's north end that might well compare to where Marbury grew up.

Can this be the same Marbury we all watched implode over the summer? Amazing.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Marbury coming to town (not Boston) Empty Re: Marbury coming to town (not Boston)

Post by gacracker Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:53 am

Maybe Starbury missed his calling. Maybe he should have majored in social work. That's not an option at Georgia Tech, my (and his) alma mater.

Come to think of it, I wonder what he majored in?

Engineering? Probably not. Didnt have the H.S. prerequisites.

Pretty amazing guy. Didn't he put out a line of el cheapo shoes sometime back price pointed for those who couldn't afford Air Jordan's?

Marketing major maybe? No, not offered at GTech.

He turned down a vet's minimun C's offer this year. Quite a comedown from 20mil last year he earned sitting on his behind for much of the year.

Investment major maybe? No, not offered at GTech.

I give up. Hey, I've got it.... psychology major at GTech. Had to be!

OFFERED! clown
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Marbury coming to town (not Boston) Empty Re: Marbury coming to town (not Boston)

Post by swedeinestonia Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:57 am

I think Marbury has a good heart but not so much of a good head.

Also I think that his family/relatives have created a lot of problems for him.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by carpecarpium Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:02 pm

Yeah, I agree. I think that coming back to NY sucked him back into some bad influences.

Good luck to Marbury on the youth center. He'll probabaly do better with that than with his stated goal of getting back into the NBA.

carpecarpium

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:52 pm

I was initially against Marbury wearing the green, but I got on board with it once it seemed enevitable. During his brief stay, he seemed to fit in nicely, he didn't cause any trouble at all.

I was ready to accept him for the coming year, right up until his insanity this summer. That WAS sad!!

I hope he can get his head on straight.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by carpecarpium Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:58 pm

It's hard to understand why Marbury turned down the C's vet minimum offer. He hadn't consistently shown he could play last year but there were flashes.

If he really wants go get back into the NBA, playing well this year would probably get him a decent contract.

But maybe he regarded the vet minimum as insulting.

He says that he wants back in next year. But players with his baggage who have been out of the league for essentially two years will find a contract hard to come by.

The game has passed him by.

Last edited by carpecarpium on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

carpecarpium

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:11 pm

carpecarpium wrote:Yeah, I agree. I think that coming back to NY sucked him back into some bad influences.

Good luck to Marbury on the youth center. He'll probabaly do better with that than with his stated goal of getting back into the NBA.

I wonder what Starbury considers to be his fair market value at this point.

How he is going to bankroll these ventures? He has no income and no doubt has gone thru this NBA earnings like a hot knife thru butter.

He should have stuck to what he does best... which is basketball and hired others to invest his money in these social issues.

His value as a player has reached rock bottom. PERIOD! Case closed. No

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by carpecarpium Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Is Marbury broke? It's amazing to those of us not pulling in megabaucks to hear how someone can run through 10's of millions or more.

But I guess for guys like Marbury, Kenny Anderson and, the ultimate example, Mike Tyson, there are a lot of folks coming out of the woodwork with their hands out.

carpecarpium

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down