If Bynum is Available Next Year?

+2
bobheckler
MDCelticsFan
6 posters

Go down

If Bynum is Available Next Year? Empty If Bynum is Available Next Year?

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Nobody knows at this point how long it will be before Bynum will be able to suit up for the Sixers. If he becomes a free agent after 2012-'13, and is reasonably healthy by the end of this season, Would the Celtics take a chance on signing him, provided the club has Cap space to afford him?

Last edited by MDCelticsFan on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

If Bynum is Available Next Year? Empty Re: If Bynum is Available Next Year?

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:50 pm

I say no. At this point he looks like extremely damaged goods.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:55 pm

MD,

I think at this point any GM that sees Bynum's agent coming is going to run the other way.

Credit the Lakers for finding a way to unload one of the league's most fragile centers and end up with the best.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:10 pm

NY:

Yes, it seems with the exception of Chris Paul, the Lakers get what they want.

MD!

PS: At least Bynum would be a better bet than Greg Oden.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:23 am

A couple of years ago, I saw a lot of potential in Bynum's and felt that he was just unlucky with how he got his injuries -- Kobe careening off balance straight into his knee, for example. I felt Bynum was young enough and his upside significant enough that he deserved the benefit of the doubt. Last year, his averages were 18.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks, and he played 60 of 66 games, which seems pretty good considering he sat out the first four due to the Barea suspension and the last game just to rest up for the playoffs.

But now, I see damaged goods. He's apparently wearing a brace on one knee the rest of his career, and he continually had knee pain issues last year. Now, with no apparent injury, just an offseason platelet procedure in Germany to help alleviate knee pain, he started the season unable to play and then tweaked his other knee bowling. Besides the ridiculousness of how he hurt himself this latest time -- bowling! -- it seems like he has something structurally wrong with his legs that leads to knee issues. The Lakers even said as much when they told him he needed to wear the brace from now on.

So despite his enormous potential, I'd turn him down at this point. A guy like Gortat, who may not be quite as good but is still pretty good and is durable, is a much better bet. After all, a guy who pretty good is better than a guy who is better but can't play.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 am

Outside:

An interesting analysis on your part. Sounds like a practical explanation of why we'd likely be better off settling for the less talented, but more physically reliable. Somebody should have reminded Andrew there is more money in basketball than bowling for dollars. Then again maybe he was practicing for the PBA tour.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 am

Some team is going to offer Bynum a 1 year contract next season.
If he looks like he will be available for most of the season, he will probably get $5m. If he is ready to go next summer and can show that his knees are healthy, he will probably get a 1 year/$10m contract. Dallas could/will have tens of millions of dollars of cap space. I think they would take a chance with Bynum.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

His knee is not going to get better....it's the same scenario of JON & Shack!!!!!

Let's not tread there any time soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down