Avery's DEFENSE

+2
dboss
Matty
6 posters

Go down

Avery's DEFENSE Empty Avery's DEFENSE

Post by Matty Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:06 pm

curiosity just got the better of me and i did a tiny bit of research... not sure if this means anything just yet, or rather, the degree to which it means anything, but I compared this seasons celtics to B.A W.B. and W.A.B. (before avery was back/with avery back)

Boston had lost its last 3 games without Avery with the other team scoring 106, 101 and the game right before Avery returned, 118 points- the infamous Celtic defense was not there- in those 30 games without Avery the Celtics defense allowed an average of 98.1 ppg- 15 of those 30 games we allowed 100 or more ppoints by the opposition. Only three times in those 30 games did Boston allow less than 80 points. In those 30 games Boston finnished with a record of 14-16.

Of course we're now only 6 games into the W.A.B. (With Avery Back) but the turn around so far is impressive. Lets compare the two celtics teams- B.A.W.B. & W.A.B.

record
before: 14-16
With: 5-1

Times allowing an opponet 100 or more a game
before:15
with: 0

number of times holding an opponet below 80 points
before:3
with: 2

Opponets ppg
before: 98.1
with: 85.8

Again, just compare the 3 losses right before Avery returned, we gave up an average of 108.3 ppg in them, W.A.B. and its a 22.5 differential. I cant give into the argument that we were "beginning to turn the corner" before janaury 2, Their were signs we coudl be good, but heck every team has signs and flashes. I dont think there was a corner- we where heading down a long and ugly road (well not too lonely- the lakers were there too (LOL.)) maybe guys were beginning to get it, to one degree or another, but we wern't turning no daggumm corner.

So how much of this is to be creditied to Avery.. is this just a run the club will make and we'll revert back to what we were, with other runs throughout the season, some good, some bad? Did lights suddenly go off in everyone's heads coincidently at the same time Bradley shows back up. Or is Avery that d@mn good?

If Avery has this sort of effect on the team, and this is who we are with him- and what we saw without him is truely what we are without him.. then i think some of those preseason "expert" discusions about Rondo need to scrath that name off the list and insert Bradley's name instead.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Avery's DEFENSE Empty Re: Avery's DEFENSE

Post by dboss Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:32 pm

He was the spark that ignites their defense. Now the whole team has stepped up.

I have no doubt that the Celtics have already begun their run to be a top contender for the championship.

Mental Toughness has returned...The team stopped playing soft.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:49 pm

dboss wrote:He was the spark that ignites their defense. Now the whole team has stepped up.

I have no doubt that the Celtics have already begun their run to be a top contender for the championship.

Mental Toughness has returned...The team stopped playing soft.

Dboss

On a team champions Rondo, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett it took a 3rd year player that was so intimidated he was afraid to practice his rookie year and only played the 2nd half of last year to make this team hard again. Just goes to show, ya neva know.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:47 pm

matty

I had the pleasure of watching the recent Celtics-Knicks game on the MSG feed with Walt Frazier and Mike Breen.....they were so ranting about Averys defense, Breen flat out said he should be first team all NBA Defensive, that hes never seen a 6'3" guard that was so strong, that could shutdown points and shooting guards equally well. Clyde was ranting forget about the Knicks getting into their offense, they can't even bring the ball up against this kids defensive pressure....

Those were comments I remember, because I was equally amazed at how physical and relentless he was as they were saying it and I was watching it, and these are two guys that have seen everything and been around the game forever. Love Clyde, feared him when we played them in 70's and hes always been a class act that I had the pleasure to meet a few times.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 pm

....when AB and JR Smith collided their heads, Clyde said AB reminded him of Norm Van Leer who he said always had a black eye and messed up face from contact and didn't care, then they showed a close up of Avery's face and Clyde remarked how his face is puffy around the eyes and sides just like Van Leer LOL.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:07 pm

Cow, I totally concur that AB is tough, tough, rough and a beast on defense. His value is huge. Let's also give Sully some credit for our turn around these last six games as well.
About Frazier - he was great. Pure class. No way the Knicks win an NBA championship without him. When I went to Sarah Lawrence for a semester in 1968, I saw that a classmate/friend of mine there named Joy had a pix of Clyde in her dorm room. I said, "Oh you're a Knicks fan?"
She said, "He's my boyfriend." I was impressed. Not by her. By Walt. Joy was a real catch.

Last edited by worcester on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : sp)
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:23 pm

worse- great story!!..... I bet she was

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:43 pm

She was black, very beautiful, very smart, and very classy. He would send her flowers. Unfortunately he never made it out to Bronxville. She would take the train into Manhattan. I would love to have met him. Two NBA championships - 1970 and 1973. Chad Ford does not know NBA history.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:48 am

Saw a little bit of Avery and Lee on the court last nite. Wasn't long though. I would like to see a stretch of about 8 minutes of those guys and KG on the floor at the same time, and also being in the aggressive mode.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down