steve3344
mrkleen09
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

POST GAME NEW ORLEANS - Page 2 Empty Re: POST GAME NEW ORLEANS

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:11 pm

sam wrote:BobH,

Hindsight into Rondo's complete game performance is a lot different from Doc's having the right to expect, at any given moment during the game, that Rondo could do a turnaround and completely take over the game. It has happened many times in the past with Rondo, and Pierce too for that matter.

I agree with you that Barbosa should be getting more playing time. But it should be incorporated into the game plan, not just as a move of desperation that essentially disrupts the rotation and potentially the game plan.

I believe Doc is of the school that says you win or lose with the players who most consistently submit the best performances. You don't display a loss of confidence in a key performer just because he goes through a bad stretch in one game. That philosophy would have denied the Celtics Terry's double figures last night. (Of course, they weren't enough, but they were better than a sharp stick in the eye.)

I am one who thought that Barbosa looked great in his limited minutes during what was essentially garbage time last night.

Sam

sam,

I know that Monday morning quarterbacking is easy, but Doc makes in-game hunches all the time. He has said himself, just about every time he has inserted Barbosa into the lineup, that he did it based on just a feeling he had.

My question is why doesn't he have those feelings more often when it comes to players who are struggling? If Rondo is getting his head handed to him that night, try someone else that night.

If Doc wants a team that runs, and he has gone on record more than once on this, then why shouldn't/wouldn't he say something to Rondo (or sit him down for a few more minutes to ponder his plight) if Rondo stops running? I'm not talking about giving Rondo a DNP, I'm talking about playing him 30-32 minutes in a game where he's not running instead of the 37mpg he's averaging this season? We have a backup point guard and his name is Leandro Barbosa. He's averaging 4.1asts/36minutes vs 2.9assists/36minutes for Terry and his assist-to-TO ratio is better.

You're either with the program or your not. If Doc says "play defense" and you don't, you sit. If Doc says "run" and you don't you should sit, at least some.

And while we're on this, how about if Doc told Pierce "shoot 3s out of the flow of the offense and not just because that's where you happen to be when you get the ball"?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:02 am

BobH,

By definition, I don't believe hunches are something one consciously conjures up.

Sorry, we just disagree on this aspect of rotation theory.. I believe you don't bench one of your potential game-changersin the middle of a game just because he's having an off night—especially if he has a history of coming out of funks and taking over games. If his problem seems one of motivation (which it looked like to me), you get on his butt until he's motivated.

Which is better? Sitting one of your best players who's not performing up to standards and tacitly ensuring him to a totally off night? Or doing whatever you can to try to push him to perform up to his capabilities? Every time Rondo gets into one of his funks, should Doc say, "Okay, we'll just bypass him and insert a lesser player in his stead?" No, Doc should do his best to help make Rondo more consistently effective, or Doc should quit and go watch his son play.

Remember, the point guard is the catalyst for the entire team. If he's out of sorts, chances are they'll all be out of sorts. (It pretty much happened last night.) On a team with one true PG/catalyst, he's very likely the only one who can lead the entire team to a better performance. Inserting a good shooter to replace him may mean a few points, but it isn't likely to galvanize the other players into an improved performance.

None of this means Barbosa shouldn't be playing. I believe he should be part of a three-player rotation (including Lee and Terry), that takes turns (based on matchups, the score, pace, etc.) to relieve Rondo. But it should become part of a regular rotation plan rather than an occasional one. Disrupting a regular rotation can cause (guess what)? (See below.)

Ode to Rondo (To be sung to Lloyd Price's "Personality":

Cause we need (run) continuity,
(Gun) continuity,
(Guard) continuity,
(Pass) continuity,
(Steal) continuity,
(Board) continuity,
Just don't lay a great big fart.
And over and over,
Push the ball every time,
Now over and over,
Dogging it's a real bad crime.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:53 am

I wish we could run more like the Nuggets, if Rondo can't run because he has to pace himself or doesn't want to, then play him less minutes, tell him hes got to push it when hes on the floor, repeat it often, make him do it Doc and give Barbosa more minutes, like at least 12-15, give Rondo 30 or less even, we don't want our temperamental superstar to get too tired or actually get mad because someones trying to push him, but tell him hes got to really push it up the godamn floor, otherwise hes not using all his god given abilities and playing like any other point with an inconsistant jumper thats afraid to shoot.

What happened to all those one man fastbreaks we used to see from Rondo, like 3 or 4 a game sometimes? now hes got players that can run with him and I don't see him pushing the pace, with our depth we should be running way more, we should use all the pieces and push the pace and wear teams out.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 am

I will say one thing about Rondo, he is such a tremendous athlete. The other night while getting the ball at the other end of the court, he dribbled down, took the ball went over the opposing players head and made a layup , one of his crazy opposite hand, opposite side baskets. I couldn't believe what I had seen, I wonder if they replayed that one on ESPN seventy five times like we see LeBron and Durant. He just is unbelievable with what he can do with the ball when he wants to.

By sitting him down, you send a message that is disturbing. But they have to find a way to get Barbosa some minutes. He is a game changer, they should be on the court together
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:04 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I will say one thing about Rondo, he is such a tremendous athlete. The other night while getting the ball at the other end of the court, he dribbled down, took the ball went over the opposing players head and made a layup , one of his crazy opposite hand, opposite side baskets. I couldn't believe what I had seen, I wonder if they replayed that one on ESPN seventy five times like we see LeBron and Durant. He just is unbelievable with what he can do with the ball when he wants to.

By sitting him down, you send a message that is disturbing. But they have to find a way to get Barbosa some minutes. He is a game changer, they should be on the court together

I know what you mean about replays. I saw the replays of the Heat/Laker game last night. They kept showing Kobe hitting shots, I think I saw about 6 of them. I thought he must have played a great game the way they were talking. Then I look at the boxscore, they must have shown every shot he made, then I saw how many shots he took, 1 assist and 6 turnovers. Unbelievable. I think I saw more Kobe highlights than Lebron who looks like he had a monster game. Rondo shoots a lot of those crazy shots with reverse spin on it. I was thinking that I wish he would learn to use his left hand and the shots would be easier, then he goes in and does a left handed one. Wish he did that more.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 am

I'm telling you, the play I am talking about was a jaw dropper. I found myself asking my son, "Did he really do that???". He made the whole Hornets team look like fools. He just has so much talent. I wish he would use it night in and night out

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:59 am

tardust wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I will say one thing about Rondo, he is such a tremendous athlete. The other night while getting the ball at the other end of the court, he dribbled down, took the ball went over the opposing players head and made a layup , one of his crazy opposite hand, opposite side baskets. I couldn't believe what I had seen, I wonder if they replayed that one on ESPN seventy five times like we see LeBron and Durant. He just is unbelievable with what he can do with the ball when he wants to.

I know what you mean about replays. I saw the replays of the Heat/Laker game last night. They kept showing Kobe hitting shots, I think I saw about 6 of them. I thought he must have played a great game the way they were talking. Then I look at the boxscore, they must have shown every shot he made, then I saw how many shots he took, 1 assist and 6 turnovers. Unbelievable. I think I saw more Kobe highlights than Lebron who looks like he had a monster game. Rondo shoots a lot of those crazy shots with reverse spin on it. I was thinking that I wish he would learn to use his left hand and the shots would be easier, then he goes in and does a left handed one. Wish he did that more.

tardust,

I watched the first half and most of the 3rd quarter of the Heat-Lakers game last night. Kobe was usually guarding DWade but was matched up up defensively against LeBron a lot too. In other words, he guarded the other team's best player the entire game, he played 42 minutes and he's 34 years old (and guarding a 31 year old who outweighs him by 15# or a ridiculously athletic 28 year old who is taller, heavier, faster and stronger than him and just about every guard and small forward in the league). I noticed in the 3rd quarter how many of his contested jumpshots hit the front rim, although his uncontested ones often looked good. That is a sign of fatigue, his legs weren't getting him that last inch of leap and the ball was shot short. He had a very tough assignment last night, he had to be Avery Bradley AND Paul Pierce (if you know what I mean).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2