+3
Outside
bobheckler
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens' Greatest Challenges Empty Brad Stevens' Greatest Challenges

Post by Sam Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 am

I'm interested in what this knowledgeable body of Celtics fans believe will be Brad Stevens' greatest challenges from training camp until the All Star Game. We've all been exposed to a plethora of stories and interviews involving Brad, so we should be armed with a variety of perspectives. At this point, we can reflect only on the current roster, and that could definitely change over time. I could have made this into a poll, but then I'd have had to presuppose that I could prelist all the possible answers; and that's not the case. So how about listing the two to five most important challenges you think Brad will face (as things stand now).....and why.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens' Greatest Challenges Empty Re: Brad Stevens' Greatest Challenges

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:05 am

Hmmph.  I don't understand why being presumptuous is so bad.  I've been presumptuous since I decided that I could create the world in 6 days and didn't need another for a test run.  Perhaps, in retrospect, I could have used that day more wisely, but I was young and liked to screw off.

I'd say his biggest challenges will be:

1.  The absence of his starting point guard for the first month and then the re-integration of him afterwards.  Does he practice and run plays that are not Rondo-centric and then re-tool after Rondo's back or does he run plays the way he wants the team to run and when Rondo comes back they're just run better?  Is he system oriented or is he player oriented?  If he says he's going to try to use each player's strength, then the team will run as good as it can until Rondo gets back then it gets overhauled.  If he runs a system, then Rondo will have to fit into that system when he comes back (and that won't be worthy watching to see his attitude).

2.  Chemistry, above and beyond the return of the floor general.  We got a boatload of newbies.  New to the team, new to the NBA and new to coaching.

3.  The lack of a bonafide center.  Faverani has the beef and strength, but he has never laced up an NBA sneaker yet.  KO is 238#.  Hump is 3" shorter and only 3# lighter.  Bass is 4" shorter, maybe more depending on how much air he has in his sneakers, and is 12# heavier.

In fact, I'd say the only areas where Stevens DOESN'T have to worry about is the enthusiasm of his team (even Gerald Wallace has something to prove, if not for his lousy last year then to show he's trade worthy) and getting them to run.  They all know they're not going to pound it inside with size.  They'll run because they're young and that's their advantage, overplay the passing lanes, getting as many easy buckets as they can off the break and offensive rebounds from Sully and Hump.  

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 am

Great start, Bob, and loaded with logic. Now let's hear from some other people.

Sam

P.S. Thanks for straightening me out. I always thought that "presumption" was synonymous with "foreplay."
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm

I agree with what Bob said, but I looked at the question with a wider lens.

1. Implementing a coaching culture change. Doc was in Boston a long time, and each coach has his own style. There will be changes with how Stevens does things, and that applies to things large (such as defensive philosophy and practice drills) and small (such as the way he runs time outs and the food and drink options at the arena and practice facility). Getting the players to buy into his style is essential to getting them to buy into his approach with X's and O's.

2. Reconciling the long-term rebuilding plan with the short-term goals for this season. These will sometimes be in conflict, and he has to juggle them appropriately. The long-term rebuild is the priority, but sacrificing all short-term goals for the sake of the long term can be counterproductive. He needs to build a modicum of success for this season.

3. Building trust with the Celtic fan base. It's essential to the long-term success of the rebuilding plan.

4. Building relations with the Boston media. Because that helps any coach get along, and it's essential to the success of item no. 3.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Very interesting perspectives, Outside. Thanks.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I'd say one is dealing with a very fluid roster. There will be moves made for the foreseeable future, and Stevens will have to make multiple adjustments based on who is traded and who is brought in.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:24 pm

KJ,

I expect you're right. And with fluidity in the roster comes discontinuity in the development of chemistry. I just hope this season doesn't boil down to successes mainly for those players who have an instinct for individual play.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi,
Transition from NCAA to NBA in terms of game and dealing with players.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 am

Two of Brad Stevens' greatest worries:

1. Doing things like Doc.

Then you will get the fans that say, "That is how Doc did it, it never works that way and I was hoping that Stevens would do it differently."  Sad 

2. Not doing things like Doc.

Then you will get the fans that say, "That is not how Doc did it, it always worked better when Doc did it his way.  I wish Doc had never left."  Sad 

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Not alot of 2 way players, Rondo is a great player, but now hes not with the Big 3, we only have one player that can create his own shot, Jeff Green with real all star potential. Rondo is gonna have to hit that mid range jumper, every year he improves at that shot as hes got so much quickness, defenders have to play him with room to limit his drives.

No legit shotblocking, don't see any great defenders at the 4-5, but with Sully and KO some great offensive versatility potentially....a Perk like enforcer would look great next to Green, Sully/KO. For defensive purposes I don't see KO as a 5. At the 2 loaded with players that are one dimensional, AB great on D, offense an adventure, hoping he can get his stroke back from late 12. Lee is inconsistent, Brooks big defensive liability, don't get me started on Mr Herky Jerky.

I don't mind if we tank, I mean don't win, want to see development from KO, Sully, AB and further consistency from Green, showing hes got half the balls and toughness of Paul Pierce.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Gyso, so he loses either way. Interesting perspective.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Sam,

Yup.  Stevens is in his office right now, clutching his head in his hands and mumbling to himself, "What did I get myself into?" over and over.  LOL

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Gyso and Sam,

That's why he has such a long contract, because both he and management understand this is a long process. How he handles himself during the early bumpy ride will tell a lot.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Outside,

I don't know about gyso, but I was just joking. I don't believe Brad Stevens is going to start his NBA coaching life worrying about fans.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm

sam wrote:Outside,

I don't know about gyso, but I was just joking.  I don't believe Brad Stevens is going to start his NBA coaching life worrying about fans.

Sam
Yeah, it was my attempt at being Mr. Funnypants.

I did have a small point, and that was he could not please everyone and the comparisons to Doc would be inevitable.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:44 pm

You're right, Gyso, and the media will definitely encourage that kind of thinking. In many cases, anything to avoid having to demonstrate that they actually know something about basketball.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Perhaps the length of his contract will give him some a sense of confidence and security. I think coaches trying to build something new generally perform better when they don't necessarily have the burden of a hot seat situation, then again, the quality of the coach in said situation is naturally as important if not more.

I believe Stevens is in fact a quality coach, however, I can only speculate on how well I think he'll do at this point.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Sam and Gyso,

Yeah, I knew you were doing it in jest, but I think there's a nugget of truth in there. That's why I listed building a positive relationship with the fans and the media as two of the things I think will be important for Stevens to address.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:06 pm

The problem in forging a relationship with the media is the fact that they are a fickle bunch and quick to turn on you as soon as things aren't going as well as everyone had hoped.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm

KJ,

They'll do whatever they think will sell. Not all of them, but the majority. And my best friend has been a member of the media for many years and is the current p.a. announcer for Red Sox day games. He's one of the exceptions.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down