Potential Rondo Replacements Don't Inspire Much Confidence

3 posters

Go down

Potential Rondo Replacements Don't Inspire Much Confidence Empty Potential Rondo Replacements Don't Inspire Much Confidence

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:42 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/09/with_rajon_rondo_possibly_out.html

Boston Celtics' potential Rajon Rondo replacements don't inspire much confidence

Potential Rondo Replacements Don't Inspire Much Confidence 12534057-mmmain

Jordan Crawford doesn't always take the easiest shots. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

Print Jay King, MassLive.com By Jay King, MassLive.com
on September 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM, updated September 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM

MILTON – With the Boston Celtics now admitting Rajon Rondo almost certainly won't suit up on opening night (and probably not until December), it's time to gauge his potential replacements. Feel free to grab a drink and cigarette, and please keep all sharp objects a minimum of 30 feet away.

"That's a question for (head coach Brad Stevens), and I'm not sure Brad can answer that yet, just because we have to get through training camp," president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Tuesday at Wollaston Golf Club in Milton, where the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation hosted the sixth annual Teeing Up For Kids Golf Tournament presented by Optum. "But Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford and Phil Pressey right now are the guys on the depth chart."

In one corner stands Bradley, a 6-foot-2 shooting guard who, in the past, has clearly demonstrated an inability to shift to the other backcourt position. Forced to play far too much point guard last season after Rondo's injury, Bradley responded with one of the worst offensive seasons ever for a player who averaged so many minutes. He was coming off double shoulder surgery that limited his preparation, sure, but he still failed to show any qualities of a successful lead guard. His shooting percentages plummeted and his assist rate finished lower than Kevin Garnett's. This is not to write off Bradley's potential -- he remains a quick, strong, hard-working young lad with enough defense that some opponents literally ask him to back off -- because I believe he deserves plenty of court time. But the thought of him spending (and maybe wasting) another year at point guard freaks me out more than Chucky the doll.

Which brings us to option No. 2, Crawford -- or, in other words, the dude once named to his own coach's All-Scare team. Crawford possesses court vision, I won't deny that. He occasionally makes passes electric enough to bring fans out of their seats. He's quite possibly Boston's most capable point guard now that we know Rondo's going to miss time. At one point last season, Ainge called Crawford the team's second-best passer behind Rondo. From an ability standpoint, Ainge might have been right.

The problem, though: Crawford doesn't really like to pass. For every time he finds a teammate wide open underneath the basket, he looks one off to launch an off-balance 20-footer. If angels get their wings whenever a bell rings, those wings start crying and then burst into flames whenever Crawford chooses a fadeaway jumper from outside the arc.

Asked Tuesday how he'd have to change his game to adapt to the point guard position, Crawford started, "Just play my game."

For a moment I could almost see Lee Trevino shaking his head, but Crawford continued, "Stay confident, get my teammates involved, get them excited for both ends of the floor, and just keep them into the game."

Maybe he'd actually change at point guard? After all, he did average 6.1 assists during 13 games in December of 2012. But a further look into those numbers unearths some of the difficulties with the possible Crawford PG experiment: he also attempted 17.1 shots per game during that span, shooting just 41 percent. The Wizards, who came back to life once John Wall returned from injury, went 3-10 during Crawford's big month with an eight-game losing streak in the middle.

Ainge's third selection as a possible Rondo replacement: an undrafted rookie from Missouri who stands 5-11 and shot 37.6 percent last year (from the field, not the 3-point arc), and whose DraftExpress profile states: "The question for Pressey moving forward is whether he can he improve his efficiency both as a passer and scorer to complement his playmaking. For all the positive things (Phil) Pressey does as a passer, he still struggles with his decision-making at times, ranking as the most turnover prone player among our top-100 prospects."

So he's been a short, turnover-prone, inefficient player in the past (which is why he went undrafted), and he will be learning the NBA game on the fly -- potentially in a pretty big role.

The good news about Pressey: He's a natural point guard with pick-and-roll skills, who could actually look better in the NBA thanks to A) better teammates, and B) improved spacing. Granted, summer league doesn't have nearly the same level of competition (Peyton Siva becomes Chris Paul once the regular season starts), but Pressey made mature decisions with the ball while, on the other end, showing ability as a disruptive force.

"It's a big opportunity (with Rondo likely to miss time)," Pressey said Tuesday. "Danny Ainge and (head coach Brad Stevens), they've both been telling me just to continue to work hard and just don't get complacent. I feel like them telling me that is helping me out, and I just try to continue to get better every day, and let that take care of itself."

Hold on. I'm trying to recover from the thought of an undrafted rookie point guard being warned against complacency before his first official practice.

Okay, I'm back.

Looking around the rest of the Celtics roster, Courtney Lee and MarShon Brooks both have at least a little point guard experience. Neither would be natural fits at the position, though.

Asked about the possibility of playing minutes at the spot, Lee replied, "With Rondo there or when he’s not, I think we have a system where if the ball comes off the rim, the first guard to get it is able to bust out with it and set the offense up. So if they need me to or if they don’t, I’ll be comfortable either way."

But Lee's most telling words came when a reporter asked his advice for young point guards like Pressey.

"I would tell him to go sit down and talk to Rondo," Lee began. "He's one of the best in the NBA. I would tell him just to ask Rondo all kinds of questions, pick his brain and what not, and always just get extra work."

Go sit down and talk to Rondo. I'm sure a few fans would like to do that too.

Please, Rajon. Hurry back.

P.S. -- Or take your sweet time so the Celtics have a better chance at Andrew Wiggins.

bob
MY NOTE:  First of all, FORGET ABOUT ANDREW WIGGINS.  Put him out of your mind.  To get him you need the #1 pick in the draft.  Not #2, certainly not #3.  #1.  If you want to trade up for him you had better to be ready to give up A LOT.  Moving on, spare me the eulogies about AB's off-season work on his ballhandling.  Ballhandling is not, in my opinion, even close to being the most important part of being a point guard and AB, for all his destructive defense, doesn't have those other things.  Mr. Herky-Jerky?  I've been reading reports about how he's a surprisingly good passer.  I'll withhold judgement until I see it.  New team, new coach, new system, possible new contract, getting a training camp under his belt.  Maybe all those things will make a big difference. Even mediocre centers are expensive, and we could use one that's better than mediocre. Back up point guards are cheaper, but the learning curve for that position is steep and we don't have ANY veteran backup point guards. That puts us at least two players, one of them a starter, away from being legit.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Potential Rondo Replacements Don't Inspire Much Confidence Empty Re: Potential Rondo Replacements Don't Inspire Much Confidence

Post by k_j_88 Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Same dilemma as last year.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Potential Rondo Replacements Don't Inspire Much Confidence Empty Re: Potential Rondo Replacements Don't Inspire Much Confidence

Post by Sam Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Funniest photo caption of 2013: "Jordan Crawford doesn't always take the easiest shots."

As for his passing ability, he was behind only Rondo and Pierce last season in assists per minute—a fairly wide margin ahead of anyone else. And, lest it be restated that assists aren't only indicator of playmaking ability, I'm well aware of that. But I also witnessed numerous instances in which he made some fairly creative and difficult passes for assists. At least he tended to pass to people near the basket, not to people out at the arc like Bradley typically did. Crawford had a mediocre assists/turnover ratio of 4.2/2.7, but I'm willing to bet many of those turnovers came in trying to make difficult shots more than in passing situations. I'd never claim Jordan had real point guard skills, which (by association) tells what I think of Bradley's pg skills. But he just may have more of a a ball-sharing instinct than other PG candidates other than Rondo and Pressey.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down