Camp Fire: Sullinger Clarifies Comments

+2
Sam
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Camp Fire:  Sullinger Clarifies Comments Empty Camp Fire: Sullinger Clarifies Comments

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:08 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4707049/camp-fire-sullinger-clarifies-comments

http://telly.com/playVideo_19OP0UP/token_1380733200-IP

NEWPORT, R.I. -- Boston Celtics second-year forward Jared Sullinger clarified comments from Monday's Media Day in which he suggested he was "not close" to game shape. After going through the first day of training camp without limitations -- and surprising himself with how his body responded -- Sullinger noted that his "not close" comments were in regards to where he desires to be physically.

"Everybody is talking about that ‘not-close’ situation," said Sullinger, who underwent lumbar disk surgery in February. "When I was talking about ‘not close,’ I was talking about not close from my point of view. I’m 100 percent healthy. I’ve still got to get the rust off. I didn’t play for six months."

Sullinger spent much of the first six months of rehab restricted in movement while his back healed. He was cleared for contact activities in August and slowly has been working his way back toward game shape.

On Monday, Sullinger hesitated to declare if he'd be ready for the start of the regular season. But after Tuesday's workouts, he was happy with the early camp returns.

"I didn’t think I was going to make it through practice today," he joked. "Being six months off and then trying to get back in the swing of things, that’s really, really tough. It is what it is. Honestly, I felt better than I was last year, as far as physically. Conditioning-wise, it’s not even close. I’m nowhere near where I need to be."

Celtics first-year coach Brad Stevens liked what he saw from Sullinger.

"Jared’s come a long way from the first time I saw him work out, which was in early August after he was cleared to do full-contact drills, and just in a 1-on-1 setting," Stevens said. "He’s really come a long way with his conditioning. And he’ll just continue to get better and better. He had one of those deals where, according to what I’ve heard, he had to sit out for quite a while as he recovered from his surgery. I'm pleasantly surprised at his motor today because I thought it was really good."

Sullinger wants to use the preseason to kick off all that built-up rust.

"Everything [feels rusty]. Just timing, footwork, where to be at on the court," he said. "Just trying to figure out what I do. I had back surgery, now I’ve got to modify some things and see what I can do well. I’m very rusty at this point."

But one thing Sullinger stressed, he's 100 percent back mentally.

"I passed that point mentally in August," he said. "The first time I got back on the court, I was really nervous about moving. But now, I’m taking charges again, moving. I really don’t have no problem with it."

Read on for camp kindling from Day 1:

* EVEN VETS WERE ANXIOUS: Avery Bradley is entering his fourth season in Boston, which makes him the second-longest tenured player behind only Rajon Rondo. That doesn't mean this is old hat to the 22-year-old guard. "Last night, I was a little nervous," Bradley said. "I probably woke up at like 6 this morning. I was excited. It was nice to get out here and get the jitters out in the first practice and make improvements in the second practice." Bradley said he spent the day at point guard, but stressed Stevens' system will alleviate concerns about him being bogged down by ball-handling responsibilities. "I played all point guard today. It was new, but like I said, [Stevens] makes you feel comfortable. The plays that I run, it’s kind of like I play point guard, but everybody makes plays for each other. It makes you feel comfortable. ... It’s a different system. You can bring the ball up or the 2-guard can bring the ball up. It’s like everybody is interchangeable."

* DID HE CALL 'VIDRO?': Rookie center Vitor Faverani, Boston's Brazilian import who cut his pro hoops teeth in Spain, showcased his NBA range by banking in a noteworthy 3-pointer during Day 1 drills. Did he call glass? "He might have called it, but I couldn’t understand him if he called it," joked Stevens. (Google Translate suggests "vidro" is the Portuguese word for "glass".) But Faverani had a solid all-around debut, according to his coach. "I thought Vitor was pretty good today," said Stevens. "He’s obviously a guy with great size, I think he’s our truest center. And a guy that can shoot the basketball. ... And he did a good job defensively. [Assistant coach] Ron Adams has spent a lot of time with Vitor and really done a nice job with him."

* EXTENDED STAY?: Stevens gushed about the scenery in Newport and it didn't hurt that October was ushered in by a pristine, sunshine-filled day that likely made dragging the team back into the barn for the afternoon session a bit of a chore. "First of all, it’s beautiful," Stevens said. "I’ve never been down here before. I was kind of laughing, this isn’t the first place you’d choose if you wanted to develop toughness. When you look outside and see it’s unbelievable. It’s a new place and it’s great to get in this gym. They’ve been great to us at Salve. It’s just good to get away and just spend some time together. We’ve already eaten a couple meals together. You see guys walking through the hotel, we don’t know each other all that well. And that’s part of building a team."

* MR. VERSATILITY: True to his word that he would explore putting Jeff Green at three positions, Stevens ran Green at the shooting guard spot on the first day of camp. That makes for a rapidly growing playbook for Green, who is no stranger to learning multiple spots. "It’s still floating. I think it’s floating between, now, the 2, 3 [and] 4. But I like it," Green said. "I think it’s a great challenge for myself to be able to play multiple positions. I’m going to enjoy it because it’s rare for people to get the opportunity to play multiple positions."

bob
MY NOTE:  Jeff Green playing 2?  I suggested Wallace playing 2 and Green playing 3, but Green playing 2?  Jogging and taking elbow jumpers looks pretty easy to me.  The veterans, who are used to doing suicides and such gotta be loving this.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Camp Fire:  Sullinger Clarifies Comments Empty Re: Camp Fire: Sullinger Clarifies Comments

Post by Sam Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:40 am

Bob,

Exactly my reaction. But, whether it's experimenting with Green or Wallace at the "2," I like the fact that Brad isppears sensitive to gaining matchup advantages. Actually, I think it would be fun to see Wallace defending D. Wade (and vice versa).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Camp Fire:  Sullinger Clarifies Comments Empty Re: Camp Fire: Sullinger Clarifies Comments

Post by worcester Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:25 pm

IMHO, the biggest news out of this camp would be if Vitor Faverani were actually able to play the center position well. Imagine. Just imagine.

Romance update: Saturday I give Debbie the ring. And a magnifying glass so she can see the stone.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:44 pm

worcester wrote:IMHO, the biggest news out of this camp would be if Vitor Faverani were actually able to play the center position well. Imagine. Just imagine.

Romance update: Saturday I give Debbie the ring. And a magnifying glass so she can see the stone.

worcester,

If she cares about that, she's not the one. Besides, you can always buy her a new one later, this one is just to seal the deal.

Congrats, buddy!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Worcester,

So Saturday was a big day Smile Congrats again!

You were probably kidding about the magnifying glass, but stuff like that can make a gift even more memorable. On several occasions, we've given a $100 bill as a wedding gift with the twist that we cut it in half and include a roll of cellophane tape. The recipients get a kick out of it, and we haven't been thrown in prison yet for intentionally mutilating currency.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:59 pm

I was only joking about the magnifying glass, but in my mind i couldn't get her a ring big enough.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:00 pm

p.s. She had said a cubic zirconia ring would make her happy.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:51 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I believe she's said you make her happy. It's plain she makes you happy. No magnifying glass needed to see that.

Last edited by Outside on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Well, for Pete's sake, W, what was her answer? Inquiring minds want to know.

Just in case it was "Yes," I wish you both all possible happiness and good health.

You can always take her diving in Greece and come up with a pearl.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Outside,

My dad and his brother used to give each other $100 for Christmas. As the years went buy, they became more generous and gave each other $500.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 am

Green is a very unique player if he can play 3 positions.

I think we will see some very different combos on the court (i.e. playing 3 forwards together)
Hump, Sully and KO or Green, Wallace and Bass and/or any combination of those 6 players,

Or seeing El Destructo at center in the post with KO on the perimeter along with 2 shooters and a PG.

Or some quicker lineups with Rondo, AB, Wallace, Green and Bass running the floor.

dboss

The only way for the Celtics to keep a lot of guys happy is to play at a pace that requires rotations in and out of the lineup.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:32 pm

Congratulations Worcester. It seems as if you feel she is a gift from heaven, but, from the time I have known you here she is a lucky girl. Many wonderful years of joy to you both. I can only wish you are as lucky as I have been!!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down