Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life

4 posters

Go down

Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life Empty Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:05 pm

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/10/04/boston-celtics-rookie-kelly-olynyk-chronicling-adjustment-to-nba-life-in-digital-diary/

Boston Celtics Rookie Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life in “Digital Diary”
October 4, 2013 11:12 pm EDT by Cody Williams

Kelly Olynyk Celtics diary

The Boston Celtics used their lone pick in the first round of the 2013 NBA Draft to select big man Kelly Olynyk out of Gonzaga. Though Olynyk has some issues with his length and athleticism, there’s no doubt that he has a high basketball IQ and a high skill level, particularly on the offensive end of the floor.

However, as the seven-footer adjusts to life in the NBA at Celtics training camp, he’s learning that life alone and life as a pro athlete can be a little different. The best part: Olynyk will be chronicling his transition to life with the Celtics in a “Digital Diary” with A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE in Boston.

The first entry of Olynyk’s diary with the Celtics is absolutely magical. He talks about learning what to expect at training camp, which is probably the least entertaining part of it. However, he then goes on to detail transitioning his life to a city where he’s “starting from scratch” and doesn’t have many acquaintances, saying that he doesn’t “even have a fork” and doesn’t “have a shower curtain.”

If this is what we can expect from these little snapshots into Olynyk’s life with the Celtics, count me in. The rookie has a good sense of humor and it’s interesting to get a glimpse into the life of a young man in the NBA.

In terms of basketball, Olynyk could be a key cog in a rebuilding Celtics team, especially while Rajon Rondo is still recovering from injury. If he can perform well offensively and learn the ropes defensively, he should have a solid rookie season, even if he’s still having to take baths because he doesn’t have a shower curtain.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life Empty Re: Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:08 pm

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/entry-1-its-been-whirlwind

Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life Cp-diary-olynyk

Entry 1: 'It's been a whirlwind'
October 2, 2013, 2:00 pm

Celtics fans have had a chance to see Kelly Olynyk get soaked at Canobie Lake Park and break bread with a few of us later that day (it was fried dough, but you get the point).

They've seen Olynyk board the 'T' and came away loving it.

Seriously.

There's plenty more in store for the Celtics rookie big man this season, and you'll find it all on CSNNE.com and Comcast SportsNet. Olynyk has agreed to write a digital diary for CSNNE.com, and will file entries throughout the season.

The 7-foot rookie is now in training camp, which consists of two-a-day workouts, but he did manage to set aside some time to reflect on his summer, his growing love for Boston and, like any new guy on his own for the first time, some of the behind-the-scenes issues that uh, unexpectedly pop up.

This, as told to A. Sherrod Blakely, is his first submission. Enjoy!

I'm excited about camp; definitely excited. It's been a whirlwind for me so far, a great ride. I just want to keep it going, go into training camp and work hard and see what this NBA thing is all about.

A lot of the guys have said snippets here and there about what to expect in training camp. They just tell me to enjoy myself, have fun, come in and work hard. One of [coach Brad Stevens's] sayings is come in, have fun playing the game that you love, just work hard, and all the chips will fall into place.

Sounds good to me.

My summer has been basically non-stop. Prepping for the draft, flying city to city working out, and then the actual draft. And then flying into Boston for the press conference and going to Orlando for Summer League.

And then I went home and ran my first summer camp (that was a lot of fun!) and then up to Gonzaga for a couple days and then went to Vegas for the Players Association meetings and then came back here.

That's a lot, eh?

But I've also done a bunch of stuff out here in terms of appearances and visits with kids, which was a lot of fun; trying to get out in the city and trying to find an apartment; find a vehicle; set up a place. I'm basically starting from scratch out here. I don't really know anyone, don't have anything to my name out here, don't even have a fork!

I had to go and get everything, and I still need more. Sometimes I'll be in my apartment and go to do something, and I'll be like, "I don't have a shower curtain! I have to take a bath?" So I get in my car and drive to the practice facility and take a shower. It's stuff like that where it's like, sometimes you don't realize what you have until you don't have it.

But it's been a lot of fun so far. All the people and all you Celtics fans have been great to me. And I'm looking forward to what's coming up next, get to play in some games and really play the game I love for the best franchise and the best fans in the NBA!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life Empty Re: Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Kelly Olynyk Chronicling Adjustment to NBA Life Pitchfork

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:26 pm

He want to the Players' Association meetings? Wow! What are the odds that he'll soon be the Celtics Player Representative.

This guy has a gift for combining a cerebral approach with a public relations mentality and an appreciation of the value of hard work.

Pending some actual hoop action, he really seems like something special

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 pm

sam wrote:He want to the Players' Association meetings?  Wow!  What are the odds that he'll soon be the Celtics Player Representative.

This guy has a gift for combining a cerebral approach with a public relations mentality and an appreciation of the value of hard work.

Pending some actual hoop action, he really seems like something special

Sam

sam,

Olynyk got his 4 year degree at Gonzaga in accounting in 3 1/2 years and used that last half year to get well on his way towards his MBA. He was an Academic All-American, as well as just your usual athletic All-American (despite being Canadian). He's also a coach's kid, who played point guard until his junior year in high school when he shot from 6'3" to 6'10". Man, those are 3 pretty darn good references...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Sure tip-off that Kelly is Canadian:

"That's a lot, eh?"

He can't get through a paragraph without saying "Eh?".
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:16 pm

W,

Maybe "Eh" willl become his trademark signature, like Sam Jones' "Too late!." Sort of lacks any cachet though.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:47 pm

"Too late" was incomparably great!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Wilt didn't think so!

Sam Jones is the last player I'd have expected to trash talk, and yet he may just have been among the earliest trash talkers with that one repeated statement. I've never asked him about it because we seldom talk basketball. But we're hoping to take Gladys and Sam to lunch toward the end of our Florida trip, and maybe I'll ask him then what initially motivated the remark and why he kept it up over the years.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 pm

"Too late" would have been a perfect rejoinder for that other Sam of the era, Sudden Sam McDowell.

By the way, a miracle happened tonight. Debbie accepted the ring and now considers us to be happily betrothed - and all this without any influence of alcohol or mind altering drugs. I can't explain it, other than to say God works his miracles in strange ways.

Speaking of which, Sudden Sam McDowell had a great career, lost control of both his fastball and drinking, wound up broke and a full fledged alcoholic, lost his marriage, regained his sobriety, went to Pitt and got a degree in addiction counseling, got a job with MLB counseling players with substance abuse issues, moved to Florida and created a little community for retired baseball players, and then met a beautiful Slovak tourist who stopped to ask for directions. They got married and are living happily ever after in Clermont, FL.

The character Sam Malone of Cheers was modeled after Sam McDowell, although McDowell says he was a lot luckier with women than Sam Malone. Except for the drinking and not being a star MLB pitcher, I feel a lot like Sudden Sam, lucky beyond my wildest dreams.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:41 am

KO is a smart and skilled guy; certainly he'll become a fan favorite for years to come.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Worcester, official congratulations and all the luck in the world to the two of you. That's a great avatar you're sporting. The two of you look all ready to take on the world as a team, which is as it should be.

And, in a little more than a month, we'll be able to congratulate you in person.

All the best,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Many thanks Sam. We look forward to seeing you and Sally.

You know, given that the odds were pretty long for me to find Ms. Perfect, I wouldn't discount the Celtics chances for bagging #18 this year or next. I predict Rondo will prove to be an amazing leader for this team and that his injury speeded up his process of emotional maturation greatly.

Go Celts.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:12 pm

W, from your lips to Rondo's ears.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down