Wallace critical of C's effort in preaseaon

4 posters

Go down

Wallace critical of C's effort in preaseaon Empty Wallace critical of C's effort in preaseaon

Post by k_j_88 Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Wallace critical of Celtics' effort in preseason
October 20, 2013, 10:30 pm

A. Sherrod Blakely

MONTREAL — There was no anger or frustration in Gerald Wallace's voice as he talked about the Boston Celtics' 104-89 loss to Minnesota.

But there's no mistaking that Wallace is not happy with what he has seen of late in terms of the effort - or lack of effort - from the Celtics.

"Guys are out there being selfish, and their opponents are playing with effort, giving their all regardless of how the night is going," said Wallace who led the Celtics with 16 points. "Tonight we ran into another team that wanted the game more than we did. And they came and played like it. We had some good spurts, but when it came down to it they were determined to win the game and we (weren't)."

Boston forward Jeff Green agreed.

"They just wanted it more than us, plain and simple," said Green who had 12 points off the Celtics bench. "We can't allow teams to play harder than us."

But they have for the majority of the preseason, which was at first seen as just part of the growing pains of having such a young team with so many new faces.

However, seven preseason games into this and effort remains a hot-button issue for this team.

And Wallace, whose effort has often been praised by Celtics head coach Brad Stevens, doesn't believe that him setting an example with his play is enough for his teammates to play harder.

"Veteran, rookie, whatever you want to call it. I was always taught, you can't teach effort," Wallace said. "And you can't teach somebody how to give effort. They either got it or they don't."

Wallace added, "We're professionals. So our main thing is, you should go out every night and want to win. It shouldn't be a question of the effort. You're going to miss shots. You're going to turn the ball over. Things aren't going to go your way. But it shouldn't be because you're not playing hard, you're not giving your all."

Because the Celtics are still in the preseason, there's a chance that some players are viewing these games from that perspective with the mindset being to "flip a switch" and play harder when the regular season arrives.

"We need to bring it now," Green said. "Preseason or not . . . we gotta come ready to play. We can't come into this thinking . . . we can half-ass it. We have to be ready to play because teams are getting geared up for the regular season."

Said Wallace: "We got what, one more preseason game before this thing really starts up? So if guys think they can wait until the Toronto game (on Oct. 30) and turn the switch on, it's not that easy in this league. You have to start building yourself up, get some momentum going into it. We're not doing that right now."

----

It seemed to me that effort comes and goes. It's never maintained for an entire game, but small spurts, typically in the first half. If they want to win, this will have to change. Winning takes a lot more work if you don't have the most talented team.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Wallace critical of C's effort in preaseaon Empty Re: Wallace critical of C's effort in preaseaon

Post by Sam Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 am

I don't disagree with any of Wallace's comments. In fact, I heartily endorse all of them, and I believe he's unquestionably the leader of the players who are active at this time. But I have to wonder what the coach is doing to amp up the team's effort. Being even-keeled goes only so far as an asset in an NBA coach. We've heard from most of them (if not all) what it means to be a Celtic. Frankly, all of that means nothing to me if they're not prepared to TRY like a Celtic:

• A Celtic regards training camp seriously and not as just a dress rehearsal.

• A Celtic dives for loose balls.

• A Celtic protects the rim and doesn't allow layups, whatever it takes.

• A Celtic goes to the rim and doesn't constantly settle for long shots.

• A Celtic makes sure he does something positive on every possession at both ends.

• A Celtic makes teammates better.

• A Celtic doesn't stand around in the halfcourt.

• A Celtic moves the ball.

• A Celtic races down the court at every opportunity.

• A Celtic doesn't worry if he's tired. That's what he has a coach for.

• A Celtic does the little complementary things—setting picks, spacing the floor, moving without the ball, etc.

• A Celtic does whatever it takes to be "up" for every game of every season.

• A Celtic never quits. He busts his pelotas every minute he's on the floor.

Simply being fortunate enough to wear the uniform does not make one a Celtic.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Wallace critical of C's effort in preaseaon Empty Re: Wallace critical of C's effort in preaseaon

Post by dboss Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Sam

Here are my grades for effort.  Whenever the team's intensity goes down so do the chances to win.  This team is not good enough to play without passion, energy, intensity and Sacrafice.

A Wallace
A Bradley
B Lee
B Pressey
B Vitor
B- Bass
B-  Sully
C+ Green
C+ Kelly
C+ Hump
C+ Crawford
C   Brooks (play defense please)
I   Bogans

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Dboss,

Your grades seem fair to me.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Sam

I think that when this team runs more there will be a noticeable change in their intensity.

But I think you eally nailed down all the qualities  of what it means to be a Celtic.  It really speaks to the style of play that we yearn for but also the character traits like making the extra pass, or diving on the floor for a loose ball.  These are the gut check plays that carried them to 17 banners.  

I think some of the guys on this team can do these things and I thnk that coach Stevens can leverage how the minutes are distributed based on this  So if a guy is not running on offense or getting back on defense turn him into a spectator on the bench.  

Anyways this may be the only time that I can recall where anyone actually defined the intangibles of what it REALLY means to be a Celtic.

It is a great measuirng stick for us to contemplate when we prognosticate about who is doing what.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Starting to really like having this guy in Green; he seems to get it.

Until Rondo returns Wallace is officially my favorite Celtic.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 am

Second that emotion.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:01 am

Dboss,

I forgot about making the extra pass. Thanks for adding it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down