Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early)

3 posters

Go down

Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early) Empty Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early)

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:30 pm

This is a transcript from Big Bill on The Big Show two years ago:

“Go Green. Go Guinness. I’m popping one right now. Ten million pints poured every day around this great globe of ours — the globe, the most perfect orb, just like the basketball. The basketball by itself does nothing, but when you make it an extension of your mind the way that [Rajon] Rondo does, the way that Danny Ainge did and DJ [Dennis Johnson] and Larry [Bird] and Kevin [McHale] and Chief [Robert Parish] and Jerry [Sichting] and Rick [Carlisle] and Scotty [Wedman] and all the guys did — but when you’re able to make an extension of your mind, of what it is you’re doing in life, whether it’s drinking a Guinness responsibly, whether you’re bouncing that magic basketball for the Celtic Green, you can make a difference, and that’s what we’re calling everybody to do on St. Patrick’s Day, the start of the college tournament, the most perfect harmonic convergence ever. Be bold, stand tall, quit your job and chase your dreams. …

“I only drink Guinness, the holy water falling from the sky, delivering spiritual guidance. We’re blessed. We’re so blessed. We’re on record pace, and we’re having the time of our life. …

“When this morning started, and it started more than 24 hours ago, the call to action was to take the day off. Who wants to lead a watered down life? C’mon. Let’s get up and be bold. Forget just taking the day off, just quit your job. Make your dream your job, and that’s what I was able to do. My parents ask me to this very day, ‘So, Billy, did you ever get a job?’ I’m closer than ever to being able to say yes. It’s so special. The remarkable thing about Guinness in our world is that in the mother country, Ireland, St. Patrick’s Day is a national holiday. In Canada, St. Patrick’s Day is a national holiday. Somewhere, we got lost along the path, along the golden road to unlimited devotion. …

“When you go over to Ireland, and you go to Dublin, and you go to the Guinness thing, they have the Hall of Brilliance, and I’m in there already. I’ve had a lot of honors in my world, and none more important than that one. …

“Assume responsibility. That’s what Guinness is all about. Live in a world of exploration, curiosity, experimentation that leads to a culture of generosity, but do it responsibly. If you’re looking around, blaming other people, if you’re not willing to stand tall and be bold, if you’re not willing to quit your job and chase your dreams, then what are you doing on the Boston Celtics. Let’s go. What are the two sets of three from John Wooden? Don’t whine, don’t complain, don’t make excuses, and don’t lie, don’t cheat, don’t steal. That covers a lot of ground. …

“The young people, the children, they don’t care that you have red hair and a big nose and a goofy, nerdy looking face and you stutter all the time and you’re a Deadhead and you’re drinking Guinness every minute. They’re going to care that you’re there, and when you care about them, they will care about you. Through practice and through a lifetime of experimentation, maybe you have a chance to play in the game of life one more time — that opportunity that Red [Auerbach] and Larry and Celtics Nation gave me. …

“It’s St. Patrick’s Day. Let’s go. Start the party early. Pop one early. Get that pint going.”

bob
MY NOTE:  I've always loved Walton, this is just one more reason.  He won a championship as the leader of the Portland Trailblazers but he considers himself a Celtic even though he came off the bench. Go Green! If I'm not drinking SF's own Anchor Steam, I'm having a Guinness.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early) Empty Re: Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early)

Post by Sam Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:49 pm

At my age, I'll just be turning green with envy of all you young guys.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early) Empty Re: Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early)

Post by gyso Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Bob,

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh!!

Don't call it St. Patty's Day.  Here's why:

Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early) Saint_10

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/please-dont-call-st-pattys-day-133748940--abc-news-travel.html

It seems that I learn something every day.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:31 pm

gyso wrote:Bob,

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh!!

Don't call it St. Patty's Day.  Here's why:

Happy St. Patty's Day (one day early) Saint_10

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/please-dont-call-st-pattys-day-133748940--abc-news-travel.html

It seems that I learn something every day.

gyso

gyso,

They say "Po-tay-toe Famine" we say "Po-tah-toe Famine". We're drinking their beer and drinking their whiskey, what more do they want?

Are they really concerned that people might get so confused as to think St. Patty is a woman? It would take a lot of Guinness and Jamesons for that to happen with me.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Bob,

So . . . you are not doing your part to banish the scourge of St Patty once and for all?   affraid 

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm

gyso wrote:Bob,

So . . . you are not doing your part to banish the scourge of St Patty once and for all?   affraid 

gyso

gyso,

'Fraid not, but I will hoist a few in their honor.

When gentiles stop pronouncing Chanukah like "Hanukah' and start saying it correctly, like they're barfing up a lung, maybe I'll reassess my position.

Until then, all I can say to them is "Pog ma thon!", which is actually the normal toast in my local Irish Pub, Clooneys.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Bob,

That saying always reminds me of a joke . . .

Two pieces of string walk into a bar and the bartender looks at them suspiciously. He says "Sorry, boys, we don't serve strings here." So the pieces of string walk out again.

They're sitting in the gutter outside and feeling really thirsty when one piece of string says "Hey! I've got an idea to get me into the bar."

So he starts twisting and turning, wriggling this way and that, pulling out a few threads here and there. His friend is looking at him and thinks he's gone completely nuts.

Then the piece of string walks back into the bar. The bartender looks at him a little suspiciously again and says "Hey there, you're not a bit of string, are you?"

The piece of string replies "Nope, frayed knot!!"

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down