worcester
k_j_88
Sam
gyso
bobheckler
17 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Human Eyesore Does It Again - Wow! Empty The Human Eyesore Does It Again - Wow!

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Report: Clippers owner Donald Sterling caught on tape telling his girlfriend to not bring African-Americans to 'my games'
Kelly Dwyer By Kelly Dwyer
10 hours ago
Ball Don't Lie

TMZ revealed a recording early Saturday morning of what it says is Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling pathetically admonishing his girlfriend for “associating” with African-Americans – apparently she made the major mistake, in Sterling’s eyes, of posing for a photo with Basketball Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, a photo she later uploaded to her Instagram account.

It's a shocking and infuriating 9½-minute bit of tape that should embarrass the NBA and force new commissioner Adam Silver into action.

According to TMZ's recording, Sterling went on to chide his girlfriend, who is half-African-American and half-Mexican, for bringing African-Americans to Clippers games, even if those guests in question were of exalted status as Magic is, and even if she’s never done as much.

The recording is an absolutely depressing listen, to say the least. Here are some of the snippets, according to TMZ, from Sterling, who told his girlfriend V. Stiviano that he feels “very strongly” about her “broadcasting” the fact she briefly spoke to and posed with a very famous black man:

-- "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people. Do you have to?" (3:30)

-- "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want.  The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games." (5:15)

-- "...Don't put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me.  And don't bring him to my games." (9:13)
Donald Sterling is the NBA’s great shame, and now a major media outlet apparently has him on record as telling a woman – one that he obscenely disrespects throughout the entire exchange – that he doesn’t want African-Americans coming to his basketball games. Whether Sterling is sadly mixing up his words or only referring to Magic Johnson personally, or jealous of the brief attention his much younger girlfriend (Sterling is still married to another woman, mind you) received isn’t the point – the point is that the NBA has to do something about its biggest problem.

This is indefensible. Sterling’s treatment of this woman is execrable enough, but the clear intent of his message and what’s simmering just underneath what he actually lets out should be enough to force what has previously been a spineless league (regarding the Clippers' owner) into action. The Clippers could boast a lily-white roster and coaching staff, that part barely matters in relation to Donald Sterling – owner of an NBA team – being taped telling someone he doesn’t want African-Americans at his basketball games.

Fight with his girl, heat of the moment, jealous as hell – it does not matter.

This is Silver’s first great task. He’ll have to balance the interests of a small team-owning few versus the respect of hundreds of millions. This, like Donald Sterling, is a no-brainer.

bob
MY NOTE:  Here's the link to the TMZ.com page.  The audio can be heard by clicking on the 'Play Audio' button you see at lower right on the jpeg.
Un-freaking-real.  Seriously.  Assuming this is real and not concocted by TMZ out of near whole cloth just to create a story, what does/can the NBA do about this moron? Hey Doc! Still loving it out there in LA-LA land? Life lesson learned here: the grass is NEVER greener somewhere else than it is with the green.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/26/donald-sterling-clippers-owner-black-people-racist-audio-magic-johnson/

The Human Eyesore Does It Again - Wow! 042514-donald-sterling-large-launch-v4-3

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Human Eyesore Does It Again - Wow! Empty Re: The Human Eyesore Does It Again - Wow!

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Jerryd Bayless says he wouldn’t play for Sterling, Clippers
Chuck - Red's ArmyApril 26, 2014

Celtics guard Jerry Bayless is one of the first NBA athletes to publicly condemn Clippers owner Donald Sterling for his racist remarks.

Jerryd Bayless        ✔ @jerrydbayless
Follow
I also wouldn't put on that jersey with Sterling still as the owner.
9:27 AM - 26 Apr 2014

Follow
So he doesn't want his African American/Mexican gf associating with African Americans.
9:29 AM - 26 Apr 2014

Follow
Even though his NBA franchise is a revolving door of players who are predominately African American who make him richer?
9:33 AM - 26 Apr 2014

The NBA just issued a statement:
We are in the process of conducting a full investigation into the audio recording obtained by TMZ. The remarks heard on the recording are disturbing and offensive, but at this time we have no further information.

According to LA Daily News reporter Vincent Bonsignore, the Clippers players are pissed off.

Follow

Vincent Bonsignore
‏@DailyNewsVinny
Needless to say, there is tremendous anger among the #Clippers players
from Oakland, CA
Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

ESPN, the league’s primary broadcast partner, is ignoring the TMZ report. Disgraceful.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Human Eyesore Does It Again - Wow! Empty Re: The Human Eyesore Does It Again - Wow!

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Latest:  ESPN is running something on it.  Finally.  Losers.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10843525/nba-investigating-offensive-audio-recording-allegedly-los-angeles-clippers-owner-donald-sterling

Alleged Sterling talk being probed
Updated: April 26, 2014, 1:50 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

An audio recording purportedly of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling making racist remarks to his girlfriend is being investigated by the National Basketball Association.

In the recording, the man believed to be Sterling questions his girlfriend, V. Stiviano, about her association with minorities. TMZ reports that Stiviano, who is black and Mexican, posted a picture of her with Magic Johnson on Instagram, a photo that has since been removed.

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people. Do you have to?" the man believed to be Sterling says. He continues, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games."

NBA spokesman Mike Bass issued the following statement to ESPN: "We are in the process of conducting a full investigation into the audio recording obtained by TMZ. The remarks heard on the recording are disturbing and offensive, but at this time we have no further information."

Johnson wrote in a series of tweets that he would not attend another Clippers game while Sterling owned the team.

Earvin Magic Johnson        ✔ @MagicJohnson
Follow
TMZ reported this morning that Clippers owner Donald Sterling doesn't want me or other African-Americans to come to Clippers games.
10:30 AM - 26 Apr 2014

In a later tweet he added:

Follow
.@cjbycookie and I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner.
10:32 AM - 26 Apr 2014

Follow
LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling's comments about African Americans are a black eye for the NBA.
10:38 AM - 26 Apr 2014

The Los Angeles Daily News reports that Clipper players held a team meeting regarding the audio, according to a source. The Clippers have yet to comment.

Players around the league began reacting as news of the investigation spread.

One player on a Western Conference playoff team, preferring to remain anonymous until more details about the validity of the recording surface, told ESPN he and his teammates were "pissed" when they first got wind of the story.

"We're waiting to see what is said [by the league] or how it's handled," said the player. "If roles were reversed, you know people wouldn't let it ride."

Former Clipper Baron Davis took to Twitter to express his thoughts about Sterling.

Baron Davis        ✔ @Baron_Davis
Follow
That's the way it is...He is honest about what he believes in..Been going on for a long time, Hats off 2 the Team.. 4 playin above it all.
10:11 AM - 26 Apr 2014

Last month, CBS reported that Rochelle Sterling, Sterling's wife, filed a lawsuit against Stiviano, alleging she had a sexual affair with her husband. The suit, which states Sterling and Stiviano began their relationship after meeting at the Super Bowl in 2010, asks for a return of all cash, land cars and other items that under California law are the community property of the Sterlings.

Sterling has owned the Clippers since 1979.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:25 pm

It just shows you that all that have gold don't glitter.

I don't expect that all current Clipper coaches and players will walk away from their contract$, but I can imagine that (given Bayless' comments above) not many players will want to sign with the Clippers in the future.

On the other hand (given Baron Davis' tweet) it is not exactly a secret that Sterling is a racist.  Why hasn't ANY player taken a public stand against playing for this moron?

Can the NBA actually force him to sell the team?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Can his own players overlook the gravity of this situation? How will opposing fans react than the Clips take the floor? Poor Doc Rivers.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Quite an untimely show of bigotry.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 am

Marc J. Spears        ✔ @SpearsNBAYahoo
Follow
Doc Rivers: "were not happy with any of it. Were going to let the due process happen." Doc added that "it upsets me and upsets this team."
1:19 PM - 26 Apr 2014

Marc J. Spears        ✔ @SpearsNBAYahoo
Follow
Doc Rivers: "JJ Redick was just pissed as Chris Paul." Clippers talked it out in pre practice meeting. Boycotting brought up. Doc against it
1:22 PM - 26 Apr 2014

Ethan J. Skolnick        ✔ @EthanJSkolnick
Follow
LeBron: "There is no room for Donald Sterling in our league. There's just no room for him."
3:06 PM - 26 Apr 2014

Follow
LeBron says the commissioner needs to be "very aggressive with it.... You just can't have that in our league."
3:05 PM - 26 Apr 2014

Follow
LeBron says he has "wavered back and forth if I would actually sit out."
3:06 PM - 26 Apr 2014

Clippers team president Andy Roeser also released a statement:

“We have heard the tape on TMZ. We do not know if it is legitimate or it has been altered. We do know that the woman on the tape — who we believe released it to TMZ — is the defendant in a lawsuit brought by the Sterling family alleging that she embezzled more than $1.8 million, who told Mr. Sterling that she would “get even.” Mr. Sterling is emphatic that what is reflected on that recording is not consistent with, nor does it reflect his views, beliefs or feelings. It is the antithesis of who he is, what he believes and how he has lived his life. He feels terrible that such sentiments are being attributed to him and apologizes to anyone who might have been hurt by them. He is also upset and apologizes for sentiments attributed to him about Earvin Johnson. He has long considered Magic a friend and has only the utmost respect and admiration for him — both in terms of who he is and what he has achieved. We are investigating this matter.”

bob
MY NOTE:  IF (if, if, if) this tape is a fraud, perpetrated by a woman who has a beef with Sterling, she needs to go to jail.  Having said that, though, it's not like this is the first time he has said something like this.  The reason why this is getting the traction it's getting is precisely because he is such a well-known turd.  Do you think there'd be this reaction if Wyc was caught on tape saying this, or do you think people would pause and say "gee, that sure doesn't sound like something Wyc would say".  This is Donald Sterling's long-time Karma coming home to roost.  Either way, the league needs to do something about him because this franchise is about to go into a death spiral.  Forget about getting free agents.  Could you imagine if players signing with other teams negotiate a clause in their contract that gives them a veto over a trade to the Clippers?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:09 am

In defense of Don Sterling I have this to say: ..........
and this: ..........
Finally this: .........
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:14 am

Seriously now, There is NOTHING to say in defense of Don Sterling. The NBA should strip ownership of the franchise from him. Period. I trust Adam Silver will do so once he can say with certainty the tape is authentic.

Perhaps  the only person in America happy to hear Sterling's remarks is Clive Van Bundy. Another moron.

Having said all that I have to add this observation: Is not Doc Rivers one of the classiest human beings anywhere? My respect for him grows and grows.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 am

I am pretty sure the league can and will push Sterling out (he will leave on his own) or the league will take the team and sell it to the highest qualified bidder.
When college players and current players (future free agents) say they will not play for Sterling, the league has to take the team which is in the best interests of the league.

Sterling is a racist moron. I'm glad that after being a doormat for decades, he finally has a championship caliber team and coach and now he won't be able to enjoy or be a part of it.

What a disgusting human being Donald sterling is!!!
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:59 am

And all this uproar is to say nothing of the fact that he, a married man, has a mistress to whom he's given millions.

Perhaps the one good thing to say about this whole situation is that it galvanizes our opposition to racism.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:07 pm

worcester wrote:And all this uproar is to say nothing of the fact that he, a married man, has a mistress to whom he's given millions.

Perhaps the one good thing to say about this whole situation is that it galvanizes our opposition to racism.

And what really is mind-blowing is that his girlfriend is half-Mexican, half-black.  Denial isn't just an arroyo in LA.

The Human Eyesore Does It Again - Wow! V-stiviano-instagram-photos-0127-480w-280x375

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:26 pm

To those who have known about Sterling for a while, this is no surprise.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Certainly a disgrace to Man Kind! 

Hey Doc, you should know your owner before you get into bed with him, unless of course it was for Doc all about the money, Hollywood and the fame!

This guy has been a Loon for years!  You should read about his past.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:20 pm

And so it begins:

NBA agent @Chris Grier Luchey says that he will steer his clients away from the L.A. Clippers due to Donald Sterling's comments. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Peter Vecsey: What broad sanctions exist re possibility of dealing w Sterling? Adam Silver texted, "suspension & fine up to 1M"

The woman you hear talking to Donald Sterling during a taped conversation in which he makes racist remarks will NOT cooperate with the NBA Commissioner's investigation ... and we've learned her refusal has nothing to do with the tape. A rep from the law office representing V. Stiviano tells TMZ ... they heard NBA Commissioner Adam Silver state his intention to interview Stiviano, but that's not going to happen right now. We're told her lawyer, Mac Nehoray, will not allow her to answer questions about pending litigation against his client filed by Sterling's estranged wife. TMZ.com

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:02 pm

bobheckler wrote:And so it begins:

NBA agent @Chris Grier Luchey says that he will steer his clients away from the L.A. Clippers due to Donald Sterling's comments. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Peter Vecsey: What broad sanctions exist re possibility of dealing w Sterling? Adam Silver texted, "suspension & fine up to 1M"

The woman you hear talking to Donald Sterling during a taped conversation in which he makes racist remarks will NOT cooperate with the NBA Commissioner's investigation ... and we've learned her refusal has nothing to do with the tape. A rep from the law office representing V. Stiviano tells TMZ ... they heard NBA Commissioner Adam Silver state his intention to interview Stiviano, but that's not going to happen right now. We're told her lawyer, Mac Nehoray, will not allow her to answer questions about pending litigation against his client filed by Sterling's estranged wife. TMZ.com

bob

With a net worth of approximately $1.9 billion I doubt any fine would bother him.  Let's see:  If the NBA fines him $1 million - getting out my trusty calculator here - he would only have (I'm punching in the numbers now...) oh, let me figure this thing out...  he'd only have about $1,899,000,000 left.  

He might have to clip coupons after that.  Or forego his daily visits to Starbucks.

If suspended, I'm sure he could find a nice, exotic tropic island to vacation on.  And find lots of cute young things there who would really appreciate his fat bank account.

Only way it will have any effect on him is if no free agents will sign with the Clips or fans seriously start to boycott games.  Will be real difficult to force him to sell if he doesn't want to.  In the early 90's when Marge Schott made her outrageous comments about blacks and was quoted throwing compliments at Hitler she was fined $250,000 and banned for the 1993 season from the day-to-day operation of the Reds.  In 1999 she voluntarily sold the majority of her share in the team.  That took six years.  At the time, it was unlikely baseball would have been able to force her to.  We have pretty intense free speech rights in the U.S. regardless of how despicable that speech is.

It would be great, however, for Sterling to see how despised he is at the moment (and it's not going to change anytime soon) and get out of the league voluntarily.  If he fights it (and he's fought everything else up to now pretty vigorously) he could unfortunately be around a long time.

Last edited by steve3344 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Interesting how she is still with him despite the fact that this guy has a track record for this kind of unmitigated crap.

Is it something she simply doesn't care about?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:39 pm

Judging by her responses to Sterling on the recording (assuming that it is real) she cares about it.  But she probably cares about the money more. I mean it's a pretty safe bet that she's not with him because of his shimmering personality.

As Elvis Costello said in an old song, "There's no need to be evasive.  Money talks and it's persuasive."

In fact that's probably the reason anyone would pay any attention to Donald Sterling.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm

He is disgusting. That is all I have to say.

Doc....you left one of the most respected ownerships for this? Funny what people will do for a shot at a ring, huh? Just talking to him should have sent out red flags.

Right now I am watching Paul Pierce make me cry that he is gone.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Sloop,

Good point. That was my first guess, however, I wanted to have a bit more faith in humanity. Unfortunately, I was giving out too much benefit of the doubt.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:08 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:He is disgusting. That is all I have to say.

Doc....you left one of the most respected ownerships for this? Funny what people will do for a shot at a ring, huh? Just talking to him should have sent out red flags.

Right now I am watching Paul Pierce make me cry that he is gone.

Rosalie

Pierce was great today, easily best player on floor, that was as good as he can play at this stage of his career, if only he got a little more help. Pierce from 02 or 03 would have just buried Raptors with his relentlessness and attack mode.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:07 am

Mike Lupica's column in the NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/billions-donald-sterling-racist-article-1.1771146

Key line: "(NBA Commissioner) Silver probably can’t take Sterling’s basketball team away from him if he said these things. But the new commissioner can make him go away, for a good long time. It is about time."

Like I said, if Sterling doesn't voluntarily sell the Clippers no one can probably force him to. But he's going to feel very unwanted in the NBA very soon. Like already.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:05 am

Silver as an attorney knows full well that Sterling is protected under the First Amendment - "Right of Free Speech" - and nothing can be done about what Sterling said or did not say.  We need to let due process by the NBA take place first before we burn him in effigy. 

This whole thing is beginning to smell. Why was this gal pal of Sterling, who is half black/half Spanish, still hanging with him. I am sure he said these things to her prior to the alleged recording?   Was this a case of black mail?  A payoff gone wrong?  

Who knows........but Sterling will still come up on top financial wise, for now he has a sold and profitable organization where he can get top dollar for the franchise, and no one can force him to sell if someone low balls him on price.

My take on Sterling............a weird twisted gentleman.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:02 am

I doubt that Donald Sterling is protected by the 1st Amendment since that protects speech from undue interference by the government and not private entities.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:32 am

Sorry to say he is under the privacy doctrine of the Bill of Rights. 1st & 4th Amendment.

The only way that can force his hand is if the NBA has some clause about this very topic in their franchise agreement with owners.  Then they may have a grounds for removal or at least suspension.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next