k_j_88
kdp59
Outside
gyso
bobheckler
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group Empty Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 am

Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group

Jay-Z  had raised some eyebrows at the Barclay’s Center when he wore a medallion symbolizing the Five Percent Nation.

The Brooklyn-born rapper was sitting court-side with wife Beyonce when he was snapped wearing thecontroversial symbol.

One of the core tenants of the Five Percent Nation – an off-shoot of the Nation of Islam – is that white people are ‘wicked and inferior’ to black men.

When asked by a reporter whether the medallion is meaningful to him, Jay-Z shrugged and said ‘A little bit’.

This isn’t the first time that Jay-Z  has been connected to the Five-Percent Nation.

The Five Percent Nation was founded by Clarence 13X in Harlem back in 1963 after splitting with theNation Of Islam. Five Percenters believe that the Black man was the original man, the creator of civilization, and the personification of God.

Their name derives from the idea that 10% of the population (the elites) manipulates and controls 85% of the population that is unaware of the true nature of human control. The remaining 5% work to enlighten that 85% of the truth.

But a representative for the five percent nation told the Post that they are not happy with Jay-Z flaunting their symbol.

‘Jay Z is not an active member — no one has vouched for him” said Saladin Allah. ‘It was always understood that you don’t wear the ­regalia if you don’t totally subscribe to the life.’
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See that huge medallion around the neck of rap mogul and Obama supporter Jay-Z?
The medallion has an 8-pointed star with the number 7 inside it.

The 8-pointed star is the symbol of a black racist sexist supremacist group called Five Percent Nation. The group’s beliefs are similar to Louis Farrakhan’s (black) Nation of Islam, but go even further.

Five Percent Nation maintains black men are gods, racially superior to all others, and that the Christian God is a lie concocted by evil devilish whites.

The number 7 is “god,” which means not only is Jay-Z a racist supremacist, he thinks he is god.
Gary Buiso reports for The New York Post, April 6, 2014, that “Last week, all eyes at the Barclays Center weren’t on Jay Z’s better half, Beyoncé — but on the coaster-size golden pendant swinging from the rapper’s neck as the couple sat courtside.”

The gaudy medallion worn by Jay-Z (and also New York Knicks basketball player Carmelo Anthony) is that of the Five Percent Nation (FPN). FPN believes that black people are the fathers and mothers of civilization, white men are the devil, the Christian god is nothing more than a ghost and only a small percentage of people (5%) really understand the world.

When asked if the group’s symbol — an eight-point star with the number 7 in the middle — held any meaning to him, Jay-Z shrugged, “A little bit.”

Michael Muhammad Knight, 36, a white author of two books on FPN who converted to Islam as a teenage, says Five Percenters believe that “the black man is God and created the universe” and is superior in every way — “physically stronger and intellectually stronger and more [morally] righteous naturally.”
In contrast, white people are “weak and wicked and inferior — basically just an errant child who needs to be corrected.” Knight wrote, “The first lesson I learned from the Five Percent was simple: F–k white people. Seriously. White people are devils.” (Which means Knight, who is white, believes he himself is a devil who should be “f-cked.” But I’m sure that logic escapes Knight.)

Knight says FPN’s beliefs about the races is more a statement about power rather than biology, “For me, it is about who is marked as privileged in the power relations of this society.” Knight calls FPN’s ideas “empowering.” He says, “Anytime someone is saying you have to accept your conditions of oppression and slavery and pray to an unseen god — that kind of god is just being used to keep people down and to keep people from looking to themselves as a solution to their problems. If there is a problem, no one will fix it for you, except yourself.”
FPN was founded in 1964 in Harlem by Clarence Smith, a former student of black Muslim Malcolm X who disagreed with the Nation of Islam over the nature of God. That’s because Clarence Smith thought he was god. Smith later changed his name to Allah, the Arabic word for god or supreme being. Not just Allah, Smith was known as Allah the Father.
Smith rejected the notion of a supernatural deity and instead believed that all black men had God in them and that black women were “earths” who took on a complementary yet subordinate role to their gods. (That would explain why Jay Z’s wife, Beyoncé, submissively called herself “Mrs. Carter” in her recent concert tour. Jay-Z‘s real name is Shawn Corey Carter.)

FPN calls the Christian God a “mystery God” concocted by 10% of the world’s population (whites) to control the other 85%.

Although Five Percenters don’t consider themselves Muslim, their name however comes from the Nation of Islam’s belief that 5 percent of humanity are “poor righteous teachers” who exist to enlighten the masses about the truth of existence. Members sometimes refer to themselves as “scientists” to drive home the search for truth. Members must learn the “Supreme Mathematics and Supreme Alphabet” — allegedly powerful tools to decipher the meaning of the universe but which are really superstitious numerology. In both, each letter and number represents a concept, for example, 1 is knowledge, 2 is wisdom, while A is Allah and B is be, or born. The number 7 on Jay Z’s pendant stands for God.

Back to top Go down

Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group Empty Re: Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Rapper Jay Z officially dropped his ownership stake in the Brooklyn Nets to pursue certification as a sports and entertainment agent.

I guess the NBA & MLB need to look into this if we are to be consistent with our out rage, otherwise everyone in the lynch mob is a hyporcrite!

What is good for the goose.................

Back to top Go down

Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group Empty Re: Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:17 pm

112288 wrote:Rapper Jay Z officially dropped his ownership stake in the Brooklyn Nets to pursue certification as a sports and entertainment agent.

I guess the NBA & MLB need to look into this if we are to be consistent with our out rage, otherwise everyone in the lynch mob is a hyporcrite!

What is good for the goose.................

Do agents represent the league?  Are they part of the league?  Do they work for the league?  Do they work for the franchisees?  Should Jay-Z have been allowed to buy into the Nets in the first place?  Perhaps not, but he's out now and that's what should happen to Sterling.

Perhaps players that use Jay-Z as an agent should be scorned, the same way someone who uses F. Lee Bailey, who has been disbarred in FL and MA, should be.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Bob,

They have to register as an agent for each professional sports league.

Second, I am sure sports figures should not be represented by such a person or maybe advertisers should not be giving these sports figures any advertising dollars.

Cannot be a 2 way street on race as I see it!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm

So Bob you support Jay Z?

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:39 pm

This is a little article that defines the term, Lynching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynch_mob

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:55 pm

I don't see the equivalence between Sterling's long track record of discrimination and direct expression of racism and Jay-Z wearing a medallion that's more of a fashion statement than a political or racial one. Here's an alternative take on the medallion:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/87081/the-media-is-slamming-jay-z-for-this-racist-necklace-but-they-got-the-story-totally-wrong

Your posts also come across as an attempt to excuse Sterling's racism by saying, "Look, rich black guys are racist, too." I sincerely hope that wasn't your intent.

Last edited by Outside on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:55 pm

112288 wrote:So Bob you support Jay Z?

No.

What I said, I thought, is that Jay-Z as an agent is not the equivalent as Donald Sterling as an owner.  People hire others of dubious character for a number of reasons and perhaps doing that is and should be a reflection on them.  Donald Sterling is a member of the inner circle of the league, Jay-Z no longer is.  

If, say, Jared Sullinger were to hire Jay-Z as his agent, would you stop supporting Sully because of that choice?  Would you stop being a Celtic fan until Danny traded him?

These are not comparable situations.  They are equally odious, but not comparable.  What is comparable is for me to say that I am nor more a fan of the Nation of Islam or any offshoot of it than I am of the Aryan Brotherhood or any offshoot of it.  But if Alan Dershowitz were to represent either one of those groups in court does that make them hypocrites or just them making the best decision for that situation?

My hope is that Jay-Z's sports agency, Roc Nation Sports, doesn't pick up a single new client (unfortunately, Robinson Cano has already signed with him).  That is the message I'd like to see sent, but that is not the same thing as saying that the league should ban Roc Nation Sports from being able to negotiate with NBA franchisees for the service of their clients because Roc Nation Sports doesn't work for the league, doesn't pay the league for the privilege of representing them, doesn't own a league franchise and is not subject to league discipline like owners, management, coaches, players and even broadcast announcers are.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:02 pm

guess I don't understand why this is posted here.

is it some gripe about all the heat that the Clippers owner is getting for being a racist?

if so, so some rapper who is black wore a pendant from some little known racist group......OK.

racism should be shunned by everyone, no matter WHO the racist is....anyone attempting to use tit- for-tat is probably showing their true colors.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:07 pm

How would you suppose the NBA take action against Jay-Z?

I'm not even remotely going to defend him, I'm just curious what kind of measure can be taken.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:12 pm

btw, I'm leaving, right now, for a few days in Yosemite.  So, if I don't respond to anything on the board it's because I'm going to be hanging out at Half Dome and El Capitan.

Half Dome:
Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIU_LwHuWyRc0dedb9gifVULlt6ZNHdDXW2HJ5WZ89Z60dLWcOTw

El Capitan:
Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group 280px-Yosemite_El_Capitan

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:18 pm

bobheckler wrote:btw, I'm leaving, right now, for a few days in Yosemite.  So, if I don't respond to anything on the board it's because I'm going to be hanging out at Half Dome and El Capitan.

Half Dome:
Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIU_LwHuWyRc0dedb9gifVULlt6ZNHdDXW2HJ5WZ89Z60dLWcOTw

El Capitan:
Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group 280px-Yosemite_El_Capitan

bob

bob,

Please don't hang out too far. I hope that you do your best and not fall off either one.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Bob,

Enjoy your time away. We're planning a trip to Yosemite next year. Are the upper elevations open yet? It's normally too early, but with the drought and warm weather, maybe things are open early this year. The cables to the top of Half Dome aren't usually up until Memorial Day. If Glacier Point is open, I suggest trying out the Panorama Trail. If you're limited to starting in the valley, you'll have lots of options.

In any event, enjoy it, especially without the summertime crowds.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:50 pm

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:btw, I'm leaving, right now, for a few days in Yosemite.  So, if I don't respond to anything on the board it's because I'm going to be hanging out at Half Dome and El Capitan.

Half Dome:

El Capitan:

bob

bob,

Please don't hang out too far.  I hope that you do your best and not fall off either one.

gyso

View from the bottom would be good enough for me ! But Bob I'm sure likes to be on top !

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:55 pm

The "diving board" at the top of Half Dome. El Cap is in the distance on the right side of the valley.

Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group 17divingboard

Jay-Z Stirs Outrage by Wearing Medallion of Racist Group 105971849_large_7b1f67
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Jealous, Bob. Yosemite is my favorite place.

This time of the year, there's probably lots of waterfalls, including the famous Yosemite Falls. Then again, there's that drought Cali's been having.

Fifty or so miles north of Yosemite, there's a place called Hetch Hetchy Valley, where they built a dam creating a lake that covered up what John Muir called the most magnificent valley in the Sierra. With the low water levels, I'd just love to go see what there is to see at Hetch Hetchy.

Regarding the Five Percenters, archeologists maintain that the human race originated in Africa and that all our ancestors were black until only a few thousand years ago. So maybe one shouldn't condemn their philosophy until all the facts are accounted for.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Outside,

That is no fashion statement my friend....and it was not worn at home but in your face with 18,000 people in public.

You cannot be selective in who is or who is not racist.  As a white person I am deeply offended by the association of that so called "Fashion Statement" and what the true meaning of that symbol represents!

I guess you can burn a cross on your lawn and call it art or what ever a person wants to call it ...........except racism and get away with it under select thinking...............when confronted with an 'INCONVENIENT TRUTH"

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Several points.

1. Did you read the article I linked to?

2. Do you honestly think wearing this medallion is somehow equivalent on the racism scale to Sterling's comments?

3. Why are you bringing this up in relation to the Sterling situation? As I said before, it gives the appearance of an attempt to excuse Sterling's racism by saying Jay-Z does it, too. Is that your intent?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 pm

k_j_88 wrote:112288,

How would you suppose the NBA take action against Jay-Z?

I'm not even remotely going to defend him, I'm just curious what kind of measure can be taken.

KJ
KJ,

As a sports agent representing players, you have to register with each sports league, I know because I know the agent for Doug Flute and she spoke on this very topic on how to become a spots agent the last time I was in Boston with Mr Sullivan my business partner who's family started and owned the New England Patriots.

So Jay Z should be band or at best asked to address and retract his so called "Fashion Statement" and clarify his views. If he does not, and takes an arrogant position, every athlete or star he represents, people of all RACES should stop buying the products endorsed by these athletes or celebs.

KJ,

If you are select in ones position and not consistent on issues as serious as this one is, you dilute the seriousness of the issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Outside,

If you are select in ones position and not consistent on issues as serious as this one is, you dilute the seriousness of the issue!

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm

You're not answering the questions I've raised.

I am not a fan of Jay-Z. I think wearing the medallion was a poor choice, and it's not my intent to defend that but to instead put it in proper perspective. Wearing the medallion isn't as offensive as burning a cross in the lawn -- an equivalency you made -- and it's not as offensive as what Sterling has done.

Your argument seems to be that someone who breaks the speed limit is equivalent to someone who commits murder because they're both lawbreakers.

Making distinctions is not diluting the seriousness of this issue. I'd make the opposite argument, that your attempt to foist Jay-Z as a racist is trivializing the seriousness of the issue.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Outside,

"Selective critical thinking is when you cannot intellectually be honest with one self"!

Yes it is offensive if you know the meaning behind the symbol,  and I am quite sure Mr. Z does at well. What if someone wore a swastika (卐) and called a fashion statement ............how do you think a Jew would feel about that.........

Be select as you want, that tells me you condone this outrageous behavior and just makes excuses for other racists in the world to continue their ways.

What looks like a pig, sounds like a pig...........is a pig!

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Outside

Perhaps it is all in the eye/ear of the beholder. A blind man would not care what was worn..........a deaf man would not care what was said.

Medallion I had no idea what it represented until a bit ago. The Nazi flag however I am quite aware of.

beat

PS and at the time I posted this I had not seen 112288's most recent post
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:27 pm

It saddens me that you want to lessen the glare on Sterling by diverting attention to another perceived instance of racism.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:38 pm

This is one of those times when I least enjoy my job as moderator. Over the nearly four years of this forum's existence (can it really be that long?), two of the areas of conversation that we've tended not to encourage have been politics and religion. It's not that we're professing or contesting any particular political or religious affiliation; it's just that those two areas can often become incendiary and our pledge is to maintain a high level of conviviality.

This conversation arguably contains elements of both religion and politics. So what I'd like to do is to ask those who have something to share on this matter wrap it up by midnight tonight in your time zone (we don't needs to be terribly precise); and then I then I'll plan to lock this thread off from further posting.

I hope this doesn't seem as though we're trying to limit people's right to free speech. Go ahead and debate (civilly, of course) for the next few hours, and then we'll gradually phase out of this top at the end of the day.

And, as always, if anyone thinks I'm being unreasonable about this, you're welcome to contact me with a Private Message or via email to SlipSamCelt@aol.com.

Thanks for your understanding,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next