bobheckler
Matty
Sam
k_j_88
8 posters

Go down

Mark Jackson fired as coach of GS Empty Mark Jackson fired as coach of GS

Post by k_j_88 Tue May 06, 2014 3:32 pm

I can't say I'm surprised. But we kept hearing about there being a "divide" between him and management. As they say, where there is smoke there is fire.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Mark Jackson fired as coach of GS Empty Re: Mark Jackson fired as coach of GS

Post by Sam Tue May 06, 2014 3:39 pm

So will Scal be named coach? Inquiring minds want to know. And, before anyone exerts the energy to craft a serious response, I'm mostly kidding.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue May 06, 2014 4:52 pm

He fired Veal....

This is what happens when ya screw with the white mamba...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue May 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Matty,

Was Scal actually fired? I didn't know that. Thanks for the update.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 06, 2014 7:20 pm

sam wrote:Matty,

Was Scal actually fired?  I didn't know that.  Thanks for the update.

Sam

sam,

Last I heard he had been demoted to GSW's D-League team in Santa Cruz.

If you're going to be exiled, that's not a bad place. Get an apartment in Monterey or Carmel and commute 20-40 minutes to Santa Cruz...hmmm. I wonder if Scal surfs?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 pm

So he's not fired, but he's demoted. That had been my impression. I wonder if, like a lot of redheads, he's a burner but not a tanner.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 pm

My bad... I thought there at the end he had been fired....

Still... Don't mess with the white mamba..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue May 06, 2014 11:26 pm

It has been confusing at times as the press many times referred to the face that 2 of Jackson's coaches has been fired, but Ithink BobH is right, he was demoted, kept in the organization because they like him.

Names will be flying with at least 3 jobs are already open. I bet Thibbs will be pursued.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed May 07, 2014 12:11 am

Life isn't fair, I thought Jackson did a great job with a young team, teaching them how to win, that team is still growing and improving and he is a very big part of that....strange.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 am

The West is incredibly competitive. I thought that after GSW's playoff run last year that they might be primed for something bigger. But it would seem this year they took a step back.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed May 07, 2014 1:41 pm

KJ,

Hopes were to land a little higher in the seeding order, but they won 51 games, four more than last year, in an incredibly difficult conference.

On the downside, they lost some games that were headscratchers, particularly at home, like to Charlotte (by 16) and to the Knicks and Cleveland late in the season when they were trying to move up in the standings.

But even though they lost in the first round vs. second round last year, I think their playoff performance was really, really good this year, and I wouldn't downgrade them on that. They played exceptionally well against the Clippers while undermanned in the front court and forced the Clippers to find the best within themselves in order to beat them.

The best assessment of whether firing Jackson that I've heard so far was delivered by ESPN talking head Tim Legler. He said that, on its face, it's the wrong move because Jackson did a very good job with the team, but we won't know for a couple of years until we see who they get to replace Jackson and how the team responds. If the new coach is able to take the team to the conference finals or NBA finals, then it was the right move, and if the team stays at the same level or regresses, then it was the wrong move. And I agree -- it would be nice to give a complete assessment right now, but you really can't.

Considering how well the Warriors played against the Clippers, there was a lot of blowback against the assumed coming move by management to fire Jackson, but management didn't cave to that and fired him anyway. Jackson may have had a great relationship with his players, but he apparently had a bad one with management, and as a coach, you need a good relationship with both sides. You've got to think that the next coach won't make that mistake.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed May 07, 2014 2:31 pm

Outside wrote:KJ,

Hopes were to land a little higher in the seeding order, but they won 51 games, four more than last year, in an incredibly difficult conference.

On the downside, they lost some games that were headscratchers, particularly at home, like to Charlotte (by 16) and to the Knicks and Cleveland late in the season when they were trying to move up in the standings.

But even though they lost in the first round vs. second round last year, I think their playoff performance was really, really good this year, and I wouldn't downgrade them on that. They played exceptionally well against the Clippers while undermanned in the front court and forced the Clippers to find the best within themselves in order to beat them.

The best assessment of whether firing Jackson that I've heard so far was delivered by ESPN talking head Tim Legler. He said that, on its face, it's the wrong move because Jackson did a very good job with the team, but we won't know for a couple of years until we see who they get to replace Jackson and how the team responds. If the new coach is able to take the team to the conference finals or NBA finals, then it was the right move, and if the team stays at the same level or regresses, then it was the wrong move. And I agree -- it would be nice to give a complete assessment right now, but you really can't.

Considering how well the Warriors played against the Clippers, there was a lot of blowback against the assumed coming move by management to fire Jackson, but management didn't cave to that and fired him anyway. Jackson may have had a great relationship with his players, but he apparently had a bad one with management, and as a coach, you need a good relationship with both sides. You've got to think that the next coach won't make that mistake.

And let's not forget that Bogut only played in 67 games this year and even then for only 26mpg and didn't play at all in the playoffs. Hardly "starting center" minutes and for about 70% of the regular season and 0% of the playoffs. And Festus Ezeli, the up-and-coming 3rd string center behind JON, has been out all year with an injury. So, GSW were down, most of the year and all of the playoffs, to an old 2nd string center and Maurice Speights (who is more of a PF than a center).

They did pretty well, all things considering.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Just think—possibly transitioning from Nellie to Thibodeau in just a few years. Schizophrenia personified! If they did go with Thibs, it would be a good thing there has been so much player turnover so they haven't had to do a complete 180 in emphasis from offense to defense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed May 07, 2014 10:16 pm

How many times have we heard that life isn't fair?

Well that is simply not ture. People are not fair.

Jackson did a great job and posted a +500 record and the players liked playing for him but all we hear about is Steve Kerr.

F Steve Kerr

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Diamond Leung @diamond83
Follow
Warriors confirm all of Mark Jackson's assistants have been let go, including Brian Scalabrine.
7:42 PM - 6 May 2014

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down