Lex Nihil Novi - "I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him"

+2
Sam
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - "I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him" Empty Lex Nihil Novi - "I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him"

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:55 am

"I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him"

Lex Nihil Novi - "I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him" 1986FleerLarryBird_zpsf8d02312

That's what Larry Bird said to Quinn Buckner a few hours after the Boston Celtics took game 7 of the 1984 Finals. Of course, we all know now who Larry was talking about. I'm about half-way through the HBO documentary. It is outstanding. Perhaps even better. Bird has his game face on throughout the entire show as he reflects back on the rivalry. Stoic, in the moment, the moment having occurred 20-30 years earlier.

Larry Bird was one hell of a competitor.

The amazing thing is so was that other guy.

You didn't have that with Russell-Chamberlain, as Wilt, lacking a killer instinct, didn't uphold his end of the bargain. In any event, during the 1980s, I thought Bird was the better player (a Celtics fan, I may have been slightly biased). Since about 2005, I've given the edge to Magic (Magic's team won the lion's share of the head-to-head match-ups, Magic won more rings, and Magic made it to more Finals).

Tonight, I thought I'd take a slightly different look--season by season.

1979-80: Tie. Bird won Rookie of the Year, Magic won the championship (Finals MVP).
1980-81: Bird. Bird gets the ring. Magic gets injured.
1981-82: Magic. Magic gets the ring by beating the team that beat the Celtics.
1982-83: Tie. Magic gets swept in the Finals, Bird's team quits on Fitch.
1983-84: Bird. MVP. Ring.
1984-85: Tie. Bird and Magic split the MVP and the ring.
1985-86: Bird. MVP, ring, swept the Lakers, Bird's team one of the best ever.
1986-87: Magic. Magic won MVP and a ring after pundits said the Lakers were washed up.
1987-88: Tie. Magic gets the ring, but this may have been Bird's best season.
1988-89: Magic. MVP. Bird injured.
1989-90: Magic. Magic gets the MVP. Bird had a good year, but not a great one.
1990-91: Magic. Lakers make it to the Finals. Bird injured again.
1991-92: Bird. Magic retired.

Magic wins, 5-4-4.

Tough duty making those calls.

After 1986, the Celtics became more and more reliant on Bird, and for two years he delivered MVP-type seasons, but, because his team wasn't as talented as other teams in the league, Bird never really stood a chance at winning the MVP or the championship (which makes evaluating those two seasons more difficult). Because the Lakers were so much better than the Celtics in 1987 and 1988, it's pretty tough calling 1988 a tie (but I still did). On the other hand, a lot of basketball experts would say Larry wins every year from 1979 through 1986, and Magic wins the rest (except for 1992, when he didn't play). If you count that way, Bird wins 7-5, with 1991-92 being tossed out because Magic didn't participate.

Kind of like judging a boxing match. One way gives Magic a slight edge. The other way Bird wins with a bit of breathing room.

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - "I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him" Empty Re: Lex Nihil Novi - "I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him"

Post by Sam Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:16 pm

As much as I hate to suggest it, it seems to me that—with so much evidence on either side—the "tie" goes to the guy whose position enabled him to elevate the games of a larger number of his teammates more consistently. I believe that's the PG position.

However, there's also what might be called the "WOW" factor, which shouldn't be overlooked. Under the most severe pressure, Larry could make the most bodacious moves seem routine. Magic had the same quality (can anyone say, “Baby hook?), but I believe he exhibited it less often—at least in games against the Celtics.

So, although I believe direct player comparisons are, per se, ill-advised (in lieu of a more nasty term), I’d give it to Larry by a whisker.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - "I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him" Empty Re: Lex Nihil Novi - "I Got 'em. I Finally Got Him"

Post by beat Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:49 pm

And to add after playing

COACHING

Bird wins FAR AND AWAY

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:02 pm

I think Magic Johnson was alot of hype, the best player on those/his team was Kareem, Kareem is still never given enough credit for that Purple Rain....and his one big game as a scorer in 80 Finals clincher was never repeated again.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:10 pm

I know I didn't watch every game but I don't ever remember Bird letting the 24 second clock run out late in a game in the finals like Magic did (not sure when but I know i saw it)

I don't recall Magic making or let alone even taking too many game winning shots, Bird on the other hand.......tons of um.

To compare them head to head year by year is questionable method at best for Birds final 3-4 years he was a shell of what he was the first 5-6 years.

I really don't know if there was any phase of the game that Magic was head and shoulders better than Bird. Bird was the better shooter and rebounder both played loose defense but were more team oriented in that respect and to say Magic is a better passer in minimal at best for he handled the ball more but I believe Bird was far more creative in passing.

Like the Belmont stakes yesterday the California entry in this comparison comes up short and I believe by a lot more than a few lengths.

In there absolute prime years.........Bird without a doubt.

beat

Last edited by beat on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 pm

I thought Bird was the more dominant up to 1987.  Up to that year LA was more Kareem's team.  When Magic was asked to step up and become not only the facilitator but also the go-to scorer he responded  brilliantly.

Bird was the unquestioned Boston alpha dog virtually from day one.

In '87 and '88, as fantastic as Magic was, Bird's game peaked as he put together back to back seasons of 28 and 30 ppg with 50% FG, 40% threes, 90% FT's, 9 boards and over 6 assists.  But already by the '88 playoffs, Bird was showing signs that his body was breaking down.  He shot below 40% and averaged just 19 ppg as Detroit finally broke through defeating Boston in six games.

The next year Bird played only 10 games due to heel surgery.  Then of course his back went out.  He was a shadow of what he was his last three years.

I've heard Bird say that looking back on his career he should have retired after his 9th season, the last healthy one he had.  I'm personally happy that he did not since even as a diminished player he had fantastic moments that still make me smile.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 pm

I think Kareem did not get the recognition he should have for a few reasons.

1. Magic was a showman and the league ate that up at the time.

2. Bird did so many unbelievable things on the court that the fans just ate it up.

3. The league fed off Bird/Magic

4. Most importantly, Kareem was NOT a like able guy, so it was easy for Magic/Larry to reap all the accolades.

Rosalue
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:21 pm

I think Kareem was so consistently great that people sometimes took him for granted. That skyhook was so reliable that it was almost monotonous.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down