Sullinger 'Shocked' By Smart's Defense During Practices

2 posters

Go down

Sullinger 'Shocked' By Smart's Defense During Practices Empty Sullinger 'Shocked' By Smart's Defense During Practices

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:24 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/07/jared_sullinger_shocked_by_mar.html

Jared Sullinger 'shocked' by Marcus Smart's defense during Boston Celtics summer league practices

Print Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com
on July 02, 2014 at 12:30 PM

WALTHAM – Upon starting summer league preparation this week, Jared Sullinger did not know much about Marcus Smart. After two days of practice, though, Sullinger is echoing all the raves about his new teammate’s competitive spirit.

“Marcus’ last name pretty much says it all about him on the basketball court. He’s smart, he plays well. He’s a very, very tough defender. And that was real shocking to me,” Sullinger said after Wednesday's morning session. “I really didn’t watch a lot of college basketball, but you see a lot of highlights on SportsCenter. He was always up there but they never said anything about his defensive ability.”

Sullinger must not pay attention to draft experts, all of whom lauded Smart’s physicality and defensive intensity.

“I think the biggest thing that shocked me the most – everybody said how good of an offensive player he is – defensively he’s just as good,” said the power forward, who is practicing with the summer leaguers but currently does not intend to play games. “I think that’s a great attribute that he has, and the way he competes. He doesn’t let loose balls get away from him. He’s diving on loose balls, he’s trying to take charges, he’s doing it all.”

Because of Smart’s playmaking ability, bruising strength and defensive reputation, it’s fun to imagine what a backcourt featuring him, Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley – who agreed to a four-year, $32-million contract on Tuesday – could look like. Not a lot of shooting or height, but a whole lot of tenacity, grit and all those other words people say about players who compete with a jagged edge. But that's a vision for another day.

First, summer league. Though the Celtics and Smart think he can play either backcourt spot, he has been getting acclimated at point guard during the first two days of practice. Still, coach Jay Larranaga anticipates the rookie sharing the court some with Phil Pressey.

“We want him to get comfortable at the point guard,” Larranaga said. “With three days of practice, and just getting guys familiar with the limited sets that we’re using, (we) let him play the point the first two days. He and Phil will probably play together some. They’re two of our better players and you don’t want to have one of your best players sitting on the bench. So we’ll try to get the best players out there. He and Phil are both such unselfish players and team-oriented guys that having them together I think will be a good thing.”

The coach added: “Phil and Marcus have been really good over these first two practices. They’re both tremendously competitive people. I think they’re pushing each other which is a great thing. Obviously with Rajon (Rondo) as well, that gives us three highly competitive players with the potential to impact the game at the defensive end. Hopefully (guard depth) will be a strength for us in summer league as well as during the season.”

A hectic schedule has precluded Smart from spending much time exploring Boston. He said that after Tuesday’s double session ended at 7 p.m., he just wanted to go back to his hotel and get some rest.

Pretty soon he will be making opponents uncomfortable in Orlando, where the Celtics open summer league Saturday. The guard sees himself as similar to Bradley – “physical, athletic, can defend one, two or three spots, and does whatever the coach asks him to do,” Smart said – but Sullinger doesn’t want to make the comparison yet.

“Oh, I can’t give him that,” the power forward said. “He’s got some guys he has to guard first before I can compare him to Avery. Give him about 15 games and then you can ask that question again.”

bob
MY NOTE:  15 games, huh?  Ok.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sullinger 'Shocked' By Smart's Defense During Practices Empty Re: Sullinger 'Shocked' By Smart's Defense During Practices

Post by Sam Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Always happy to see the word "defense" associated with any Celtics player.

Summer League should be fun.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Sullinger 'Shocked' By Smart's Defense During Practices Empty Re: Sullinger 'Shocked' By Smart's Defense During Practices

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 pm

sam wrote:Always happy to see the word "defense" associated with any Celtics player.

Summer League should be fun.

Sam

sam,

Right now I'd say the worst defender in our back court is 2x All-NBA Defensive 1st team and 2x All-NBA Defensive 2nd team nominee Rajon Rondo.

That says very good things about our back court. We need offense from those guys but damn they can defend, and they got better with the addition of Smart.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Bob,

Yes, the can defend.  But, as far as Rondo, Bradley and Presseyare concerned, they're better at defending in transition than in the halfcourt—especially against pick-and-rolls.  I don't yet have a read on Smart.

Stopping opponents at the perimeter will be a major, major imperative if they don't have anyone to stop them in the paint.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down