Free Agents The Celtics Have Contacted

3 posters

Go down

Free Agents The Celtics Have Contacted Empty Free Agents The Celtics Have Contacted

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:48 am

Like every other team, the Boston Celtics made a bunch of phone calls at midnight and after to free agents, making them aware of their interest.  We don't know the entire list but it has been reported that roughly 30 phone calls were made.

As names are leaked/uncovered they'll be posted here.  Just because a player was called doesn't mean that the Celtics are going after them "whole hog" and prioritize their acquisition, they just want to get on the player's good side by making them feel loved.  In fact, with our salary cap limitations, almost every free agent would require a sign-and-trade (other than UFA we had last year, like Hump and Bayless).

The comments after each name are not mine, but from Celticsblogger Kevin O'Connor.  My comments, if any, will be in bold.

Kris Humphries -  According to Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe, the Celts are one of five teams (LA Clippers, Dallas, Minnesota, Miami) who reached out to the big man.

Gordon Hayward (RFA) - Baxter Holmes reports that both Danny Ainge and Brad Steven contacted Hayward and there is mutual interest.

Chandler Parsons (RFA) - There's no doubt that Parsons would be a fit for the Celtics at the wing position. At only 25-years-old, he brings complementary tools as a scorer and is a terrific team player.

Isaiah Thomas (RFA) - The tiny 5-foot-9 Thomas is a dynamic scorer who averaged 20.3 points and 6.3 assists per game. The Kings are rumored to be looking for a more pure point guard to start for them, so they are willing to sign-and-trade Thomas, or even let him walk. The Celtics were reportedly one of the first teams to call Thomas, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst, and Basketball Insider's Alex Kennedy reported they were one of many teams calling about his services.

Jordan Hill - He's an unbelievable rebounder, one of the best in the NBA, and is a defensive upgrade over Humphries. If Boston is able to acquire Hill, he'd come at a fair price, and at 26-years-old, he still may have some untapped potential.  An upgrade defensively over Hump?  Really?

Kent Bazemore - This interest may have subsided with the re-signing of Avery Bradley.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Free Agents The Celtics Have Contacted Empty Re: Free Agents The Celtics Have Contacted

Post by Sam Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:38 pm

An interesting list.  I'm gradually warming to the idea of Jordan Hill as the best of the stopgap (thanks, NYCelt) possibilities at center.  He seems to be a good enough rebounder so that Sully and he (Hill) can each take some of the rebounding pressure off one another.

I don't know a lot about Hill's offense (and it's less important to me than his defense), but scoring 10 PPG while averaging less than 21 MPG and shooting 51% suggests he's no offensive schnook.  And the fact that he never takes threes suggests to me that he and either Sully or Olynyk could form an interesting big man inside-outside game.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Free Agents The Celtics Have Contacted Empty Re: Free Agents The Celtics Have Contacted

Post by worcester Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Progress, not perfection. That's my motto for this year's Celtics team, and that suggests acquiring Jordan Hill.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:38 pm

That's a very apt way to put it, W.  After I read it, I tried to use on my wife in terms of my usefulness around the house.  She didn't buy it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down