LeBron James signs with Cleveland; what does it mean for Boston?

5 posters

Go down

LeBron James signs with Cleveland; what does it mean for Boston? Empty LeBron James signs with Cleveland; what does it mean for Boston?

Post by 112288 Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:42 pm

SB NATION

By Kevin O'Connor

With LeBron James' move back to the Cleveland Cavaliers, shockwaves have ripped through the National Basketball Association, and one of the teams most influenced teams is the Boston Celtics because of the amount of roster versatility they possess.

Boston was the team that helped Cleveland open up the cap space necessary to sign LeBron James and could be in a position to react a number of different opportunities that will come over the course of the next few hours, days, and weeks.

Houston Pickings

It's almost a sure thing that the Houston Rockets will sign Chris Bosh and match the offer sheet on Chandler Parsons, so they will need to dump virtually every salary on the roster. They have already gotten rid of Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, but more moves must be made.

Oddly enough, almost every other available player has talent and may be a player the Celtics could have interest in acquiring. Players like Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas, Clint Capela, Troy Daniels, and Patrick Beverley don't all need to be dumped, but at least a handful of them do.

At the least, Boston will be in a position to inquire about some of the talented players waiting to be dealt away from Houston's roster.

Unrequited Love

If Cleveland is willing to give up Andrew Wiggins in a package for Kevin Love, it's incredibly difficult seeing Minnesota passing up on the deal. No matter what Boston offers, they'll be unable to offer a player with more potential than Wiggins.

While there is no guarantee that the Cavs will put their top pick on the table, it'd be surprising if a clever general manager like David Griffin is unwilling to pass on a proven talent like Love. Assuming he makes the right move and offers a large package for Love, the implications for the Celtics could be troubling.

For one, losing out on Love suggests that the Celtics will have, at best, an average 40-to-45 win season, though another season with wins in the 20s or 30s would be more likely.

Boston would be limited to sign-and-trade options for players like Greg Monroe and Lance Stephenson if they were still looking to make a big splash this summer, but those moves still wouldn't bring them that much closer to a title.

Three Firsts in 2016

When the Celtics acquired Marcus Thornton and Tyler Zeller earlier this week, they also acquired a top 10 projected first round draft pick from the Cavaliers. Now that LeBron signed in Cleveland, it's highly likely that the Celtics will receive that pick in 2016, meaning they will have three first round draft picks that year.

In addition to Cleveland's first, they'll have their own and Brooklyn's unprotected first, so they will be in a prime position to either trade the picks for players or move within the 2016 NBA Draft. It may seem like a long ways away, but it'll be here before you know it.

The amount of flexibility Boston has with draft picks is quite remarkable, as they could have up to six over the next two drafts, if Philadelphia makes the playoffs next season.

The Rondo Title Window

In the event that the Celtics are unable to trade for Kevin Love or any other borderline superstar player, they have to at least think about trading their own star point guard, Rajon Rondo.

It's a grim thought that many Celts fans don't even like thinking about, but there are options out there -- albeit limited. While it's unlikely we'll see a Rondo trade come this summer, it's something Ainge and the front office should consider especially if they believe Rondo will bolt after another subpar season.

If Carmelo Anthony chooses to sign with the Chicago Bulls (as he should), then Boston's chances of a championship over the course of the next 2 to 4 seasons will be cut dramatically in the event that a star can't be found to pair with Rajon Rondo.

Considering that Cleveland and Indiana will lead the way with championship hopes this year, and maybe Chicago, it's possible that building for a run in the future is Boston's best bet at winning not just Banner 18, but multiple championships.

Even though making a blockbuster trade this summer or next is the best overall option for the Boston Celtics, having patience and slowly building towards success isn't the worst option in the world. The bottom line is that the last place the Celtics want to be is in the middle.

Back to top Go down

LeBron James signs with Cleveland; what does it mean for Boston? Empty Re: LeBron James signs with Cleveland; what does it mean for Boston?

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Sure, trade Rondo, if you want a very long rebuild.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

LeBron James signs with Cleveland; what does it mean for Boston? Empty Re: LeBron James signs with Cleveland; what does it mean for Boston?

Post by Sam Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:15 pm

I get so sick of reading about the advantages of rebuilding over a significant time period.  Settling for mediocrity is an open invitation for (1) your future draft picks to be mediocre, whether you use them or trade them, (2) result in your players with genuine potential being likely to develop more slowly or, worse, become complacent about losing, (3) removing almost any possibility of top free agents wanting to come to Boston, at least in the short term, (4) increasing the likelihood that any Celtic who defies the odds and experiences a sharp growth curve will be dying to get out of Boston a.s.a.p., (5) taking the oomph out of fan's affection for the Celtics, and (6) making Brad (if not Danny and/or Wyc) increasingly concerned that this team—notwithstanding its traditions and history—currently represents a road to nowhere.

Think Washington.  Think Philadelphia.  Think Sacramento.  Think Timberwolves.  The long road to oblivion can be so damaging that, if and when the team emerges from said oblivion, no one will notice.  The only thing worse than continued mediocrity for the Celtics is not mattering.

And PUHleeze don't shower me with criticisms of being intent on instant glory.  I can definitely be patient.  But I can be much more patient with signs of growth and a hint of momentum than with a treadmill to oblivion.

At least now, Danny has serviceable (or better) people at each position.  That's HUGE, in my book.  Now the next step is to tweak the roster in such a way as to staff it with players who can really complement one another and put one another in positions to succeed.  The next step can actually be prolonged to good effect because it involves developing chemistry through familiarity and repetition.  After that, there's no ready formula because every team approaches the matter of contention in a different way.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Sam

I think were gonna make the playoffs this year, thats growth, Zeller-Iverson should/will be better than anything we had last year at center. Sully and KO at PF have gained experience and one or both may be ready for a breakout year. We will have Rondo another year removed from surgery, he should be better, as will AB, and Smart adds toughness as he learns the game. Our backcourt defense should be fun to watch, Young may be a decent/good swingman with a stroke and athleticism. With upgrades and maturity all over the roster, Jeff Green could be more consistent and be a better player finally and learning how to play off Rondo could only help his game....this is a playoff team in the weak Eastern Conference.

Will be interesting to see who makes the biggest jump, AB, Sully or KO? Rondo wants to strut his stuff, Zeller could improve with regular minutes and surprise us? Lets see if with the young pieces improving and a motivated Rondo, what that can do for Jeff Greens game. We actually have depth and we were in so many games last year.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Cow,

A very positive outlook. I guess making the playoffs can be considered one aspect of growth, but making the playoffs can depend largely on the performance of other teams in the division.

As an indicator of growth, I'm more interested in how the Celtics play together. Can they "get" Brad's motion offense? Can they improve their team rebounding? How about their team defense? Can they actually finish in transition rather than botching up as least half (probably more) of their attempts? How adept will their ball sharing and ballhandling be? Will they forget to space the floor in the excitement of the action, and will they revert to jump shots when things get tough? Those are the kinds of things I'll be looking for, and I'm sure there are many more I missed.

I'd hate to tell you how much my hopes for this team's development jumped with the addition of Zeller. Not because he's a particularly great center, but at least he's a center who can balance the roster, and I'm hoping that handing him the reins as starting center could result in a catalyst in his personal growth.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Sam

With a more balanced roster, I'm looking forward to see what kind of a pro system Stevens is going to come up with as last year wasn't a fair year to see what he can do. As you already know Zeller allows Sully and KO to play their natural positions, Sully has shown he can be a beast on the boards and KO can be a legit stretch 4. I really like the young depth that we have, Smart and Young can hopefully add quality depth and explosiveness and looking forward to see how the chemistry develops in Steven system with more legit parts how his system will play into the personnel's strength and how that system puts them into positions best to succeed.

and I know I bashed him alot last year, hoping Jeff Green can make a jump similar to Gerald Green last year and have more consistent games, maybe with more knowledge of Stevens system, a better defined role and improving teamates he will be more effective.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Yet another idiot article.

Interesting night to be staying in the hotel across from the Basketball Hall of Fame by the way.

So, what does LeBron to Cleveland mean to Boston?

Almost exactly nothing different than what it would have meant if he stayed in Miami.

We have a future Cleveland pick.  OK, that's good.

So being right on the money this author says Bosh will certainly go to Houston now.  Uh-huh.  better check that one, because he just signed a biggie with Miami.  Oh, and we'll be trading Rondo because we won't get Love.  I think this moron is about to go oh-fer-two on his crystal ball picks.

Really; my head is about to explode.

LeBron goes home, Rondo is still a Celtic, and looking out the window the Basketball Hall of Fame is still there.  I'm going over in the morning to find out if I go through the North entrance, will it mean we're trading Rondo?

What a crock.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down