New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break

+4
worcester
Sam
rickdavisakaspike
dantheman9758
8 posters

Go down

New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break Empty New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break

Post by dantheman9758 Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:14 pm

I don't regularly post here but some of you may remember me from a while back, I had made an Elgin Baylor video last year and it was posted and discussed here. Well I finished up another throwback mix this time of a Celtic so I thought I'd come back to share, hope you guys enjoy!

dantheman9758

Back to top Go down

New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break Empty Re: New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break

Post by rickdavisakaspike Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Great stuff!!! Thank you, Dantheman.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break Empty Re: New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break

Post by Sam Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Dantheman,

Thanks for posting that great montage. It's impossible to miss the fact that not only was The Cooz the most creative basketball player ever but also he could easily have adapted his game to that of any era. You even included some examples of the most beautiful basketball shots I've ever seen—Cousy hooking left or right from 15 feet and on the run. The first two of those shots (the first righty and the second lefty) were taken in his last game (the championship winner against L.A. in 1963).

I believe that, aside from an amazing combination of physical attributes (huge hands, long arms, and incredible peripheral vision), his success as a floor general was largely due to factors: his instinctive creativity; his anticipatory powers (way, way ahead of the play), the suddenness and unpredictability of his moves, and the fact that all his teammates were looking for the ball all the time.

Your video catches a lot of what was The Cooz at his best.

Thanks again for posting it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:20 pm

There can be no doubt that fast break basketball a la vintage Celtics is much more enjoyable to watch than plodding half court sets. What a joy to watch. Next time someone says Rondo is Cousy's peer, show him this video. And I love Rondo.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Dan,

What a great way to spend 11 1/2 minutes.  We got to see a little bit of everything.

Cooz was really, really right-handed, wasn't he?  Based upon this diverse montage you only see him dribble with his left hand no more than 2 dribbles in any scene, just enough to get the defender to shift his weight that way or to avoid a steal/swipe and then, Whoops!, it's back in the right and he was gone.  Also, the argument that old-timers couldn't shoot like today's players is blown away too, as we see Cooz taking and hitting several that would have been for 3 today.

And for a PF, Tommy sure could run, couldn't he?  That's what happens when you know that if you do your point guard will get it to you.

Thanks again.  It'd be nice to hear your thoughts when you don't just come bearing gifts as well.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks Dan!

Echoing what Bob said; I hope you can stop here a little more often to share thoughts and opinions.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Bob,

Before the 24-second clock, when Cooz would dribble out the last minute-or-so of the game with a one- or two-point lead, was when you'd see him dribble with both hands.  (There was almost no video in those early fifties.)  Later on, there really wasn't much need to use the left.  He could literally beat anyone with one hand tied behind his back.  Also, I've never seen any player so ambidextrous with his shooting—especially those running hooks from distance.

In the movie, Blue Chips, which I actually watched despite the fact that it stars Shaq, Cooz plays an aging athletic director (he was probably about 60-65 at that time) who's shooting free throws when the coach comes up.  Cooz carries on the conversation while never missing a beat (or a shot) at the foul line.  Finally, the coach gets irritated and says something like, "Don't you ever do anything else?"  Whereupon Cooz switches hands and swishes a lefty free throw.  Who knows how many takes it may have taken, but it displayed the essence of Cousy's temperament.  A fiery competitor who was the most relaxed guy in the gym when shooting.

I don't believe there's a person in the world who loves a basketball player more than I love Bob Cousy.  Whenever I hear from Sam that Bob has a health problem, or whenever one of Bob's Celtics contemporaries has a health problem, I feel a little bit more of my Basketball Camelot slipping away. Fortunately, it was so incredibly rich that the memories continue to sustain me, even in the down times.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:02 pm

bobheckler wrote:Dan,

What a great way to spend 11 1/2 minutes.  We got to see a little bit of everything.

Cooz was really, really right-handed, wasn't he?  Based upon this diverse montage you only see him dribble with his left hand no more than 2 dribbles in any scene, just enough to get the defender to shift his weight that way or to avoid a steal/swipe and then, Whoops!, it's back in the right and he was gone.  Also, the argument that old-timers couldn't shoot like today's players is blown away too, as we see Cooz taking and hitting several that would have been for 3 today.

And for a PF, Tommy sure could run, couldn't he?  That's what happens when you know that if you do your point guard will get it to you.

Thanks again.  It'd be nice to hear your thoughts when you don't just come bearing gifts as well.

bob

Dribbling with your off hand was a novelty in the 50's and 60's.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman9758 Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:22 pm

I will try to post here more often, I just don't usually have any direct Celtics related content to post about until now of course that I finished the Cousy highlight. I'm a young fan of the game, these players I highlight are from way before my time and I'm from the Cleveland area so I'm a "Cavs fan" but in a broader sense I'm of course a fan of the game first. I run that Youtube channel and always try to learn about and show case not just Wilt Chamberlain as in the name of the channel, but any other players from around that period of time in the form of highlights and documentaries. I've been working on an Oscar Robertson and a Bill Russell highlight for ages. Don't know when they'll be finished but I'll at least be sharing the Russell highlight and sharing my thoughts on that when the time comes.

As for my opinion on Cousy? Well from what I can tell he looks like one of the best fast-break players I've ever observed with a keen eye. There's not much of him on film, but what exists is just enough to reveal to me, via his timing, decision making, etc that he's just like Magic Johnson on the break. Unpredictable to the defense, stylish, and under complete control. His handle is also superb given the fact that carrying was called in his era, which made it particularly difficult to dribble and penetrate under pressure. I think a lot of players from his time and after were a lot better talents and a lot more skilled than most people my age believe. I've learned as I studied film and listened to interviews that there were quite a few subtle but noteworthy rules changes that have happened since that time, it changes how players dribble, what they are allowed to do with their feet, etc I could go into detail all the little changes if anyone wanted to know. At the end of the day, the best players on the planet back then were all hard workers with elite talent that IMO had mastered the game. It just was a slightly different version of the game. I can't watch highlights of a guy like Cousy and not be impressed, same with West, Robertson, Baylor, Russell etc and even the lesser known guys back then.

dantheman9758

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:54 pm

dantheman9758 wrote:I will try to post here more often, I just don't usually have any direct Celtics related content to post about until now of course that I finished the Cousy highlight. I'm a young fan of the game, these players I highlight are from way before my time and I'm from the Cleveland area so I'm a "Cavs fan" but in a broader sense I'm of course a fan of the game first. I run that Youtube channel and always try to learn about and show case not just Wilt Chamberlain as in the name of the channel, but any other players from around that period of time in the form of highlights and documentaries. I've been working on an Oscar Robertson and a Bill Russell highlight for ages. Don't know when they'll be finished but I'll at least be sharing the Russell highlight and sharing my thoughts on that when the time comes.

As for my opinion on Cousy? Well from what I can tell he looks like one of the best fast-break players I've ever observed with a keen eye. There's not much of him on film, but what exists is just enough to reveal to me, via his timing, decision making, etc that he's just like Magic Johnson on the break. Unpredictable to the defense, stylish, and under complete control. His handle is also superb given the fact that carrying was called in his era, which made it particularly difficult to dribble and penetrate under pressure. I think a lot of players from his time and after were a lot better talents and a lot more skilled than most people my age believe. I've learned as I studied film and listened to interviews that there were quite a few subtle but noteworthy rules changes that have happened since that time, it changes how players dribble, what they are allowed to do with their feet, etc I could go into detail all the little changes if anyone wanted to know. At the end of the day, the best players on the planet back then were all hard workers with elite talent that IMO had mastered the game. It just was a slightly different version of the game. I can't watch highlights of a guy like Cousy and not be impressed, same with West, Robertson, Baylor, Russell etc and even the lesser known guys back then.

Dan,

We have a Laker fan who is a regular poster (who lives in FL, I believe) as well as a member who lives in CA who is a GSW fan (in fact, he is a member of our HOF due to his great posting and an absolutely phenomenal series of threads about Wilt Chamberlain).  We pride ourselves, and believe we separate ourselves from other sports boards, by our courtesy to each other as well as our basketball IQ.  I, myself, live in the San Francisco bay area.  Other members who are Celtic fans are in Georgia and other states.  We also have members who regularly post who live in Berlin Germany, Estonia and one who lives in Puerto Rico.

Obviously, as a Boston Celtics board, most of the threads are Celtics related.  However, we are all hoop fans and discussion of other teams is welcome.  After all, with Trader Danny stalking the sidelines, one never knows when a player from another team (like Tyler Zeller) might suddenly be wearing green.  What's your opinion, as a Cav's fan, of Zeller?  There's nothing like eyeballs on a player to develop an opinion.

Congrats on the LeBron return.  Congrats to Dan Gilbert for swallowing his pride and seeing his franchise's value double overnight.  LOL.  I'm really interested to see if Flip Saunders of Minny bites on the Cav's offer that reports are saying now includes Wiggins.  If Flip wants MORE for Love, then why would he sit on his thumbs and wait for the Cavs to sign Wiggins before pulling the trigger?  It only slows things down because once he does sign he cannot be traded for 30 days.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Dan,

The great bulk of film in the 50s and 60s was of playoff action, which was when Bob Cousy became more conservative in his game.  So today's fans are deprived of some of his more outlandish moves, such as his air dribble.  When a ball came to him at the same moment as a defender arrive, Cousy wouldn't catch it.  He'd bat it over the onrushing defender, pick it off on the other side of the defender, and go upcourt.  Only once did I see him do it twice in succession during the same play...tap, up, and over the first defender and tap, up, and over the second defender without the ball hitting the floor.

About five years ago, I happened on some video which showed him executing the air dribble in a game.  Like a jerk, I didn't note the link.  I'll probably spend the rest of my life looking for that video.

But Cooz wasn't like Magic.  Not at all.  The most important difference was Magic's height, which gave him a built-in advantage in seeing the floor.  But Cousy's peripheral vision was actually tested and proved that he could see well beyond the midpoint of the periphery.  So Magic tended to focus on what was happening in front of him, while Cousy also focused on what what was happening in back of him.  That's why I always thought Magic was at his best in transition, with the action ahead of him and the long pass always a possibility.  Cousy was a much better creator for his teammates in the halfcourt as well as arguably being the best transition orchestrator of all-time.

I assume you know why floor generals of Cousy's time totaled fewer assists than guys like Stockton, Magic, and Nash.  In the old days, if the recipient of a pass took even one dribble on the way to the hoop, no assist was rewarded on the basket.  I don't recall exactly when that rule was changed but it was long after The Cooz had retired.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 pm

As far as the ambidextrous thing is concerned, here's an excerpt from a dictionary on Cooz:

"When Cousy was 12, the family moved from Manhattan to St. Albans, Queens. There, he learned to play basketball for the first time when he was 13. His early years were inauspicious. While attending St. Albans' Andrew Jackson High School, Cousy was cut two different times from the junior varsity squad. However, he was welcomed back after he broke his right arm, and was forced to learn to dribble and shoot with his left. His ambidexterity made him valuable. By the time he was a junior, Cousy was the team's star. As a senior, he won New York City's scoring title."

So he had the ability but just lacked the need to dribble equally well with either hand.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Once an Innovator, Always an Innovator

Okay, the Cousy floodgates are now open; but, don't worry, I'm winding down.  This story chronicles how the creativity that always marked his playing days and would have made him a genius in any era was applied to caring for his wife during her last years. Sorry for the blank spaces, which are pictures that wouldn't reproduce (one showing him driving past a defender and dribbling with his left hand).

Sam

The story of how NBA legend Bob Cousy, 85, went to extraordinary lengths to let his dementia-suffering wife believe she was still healthy

•    Cousy, who led the Celtics to six World Championships, said he never felt defeated by the challenge of caring for his wife of 63 years, Missie

•    A week after her death, though bereft, he has described his bounding love for the woman who bristled at the suggestion she was suffering dementia

•    He said he followed a 'game plan' that involved shipping her CAR TONew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image002 their VACATION HOMENew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image004 and doing all the chores so she could believe she was OK

By HELEN POW
PUBLISHED: 22:03 EST, 1 October 2013 | UPDATED: 12:35 EST, 2 October 2013

NBA great Bob Cousy has opened up about his beloved wife Missie's heart-breaking dementia and how he went to enormous lengths to allow the woman he called 'my bride' to believe she was healthy until the end.

Cousy, 85, who led the Celtics to six World Championships, said he never felt defeated by the challenge of caring for his HIGH SCHOOLNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image006 sweetheart without seeking help, services or sympathy as she slowly succumbed to the ravaging DISEASENew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image008.

And a week after her death, though bereft and inconsolable, he has described his bounding love for the woman who bristled at the suggestion she was suffering dementia, and the tear-jerking 'game plan' he followed - from shipping her CAR TONew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image010 their VACATION HOMENew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image012 and doing all the household chores - that allowed her to believe, in her own mind, she wasn't sick.New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image014
Great love: NBA great Bob Cousy, pictured in 2006, has opened up about his beloved wife Missie's heart-breaking dementia and the enormous lengths he went to to allow the woman he called 'my bride' to believe she was healthy until the end

'My dad provided an ENVIRONMENTNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image016 that allowed her, in her MINDNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image018, to be a fully functioning adult,' the couple's daughter Marie told The Worchester Telegram & Gazette as she sat by her father's side on Thursday. 'It was amazing to watch.'

Cousy married the raven-haired Marie Ritterbusch 63 years ago - six months after he graduated from THE COLLEGENew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image020 of the Holy Cross having helped his team win an NCAA championship.

He spent his wedding night playing point guard for the Celtics, which set the scene for how the early part of their MARRIAGENew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image022 would unfold.

'I was BUSYNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image024 playing a child's game,' Cousy said. 'I thought putting a ball in a hole was important. Looking back, I should have participated more in the lives of my family. But my girls were in the best possible loving hands.'

However, tearing up, he described how the couple's romance flourished as they grew older.
'Our marriage was somewhat contrary to tradition,' he said. 'Most couples have the most intensity in the beginning. But I was always working. So we had the best and most romantic part of our marriage at the end. We literally held hands for the last 20 years.'
New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image026
Roles reversed: Missie, pictured left bringing a drink to her injured husband in 1957, was cared for by Cousy for the past decade as her condition worsened

New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image028
Side by side: Bob Cousy, top left and wife Missie, right, applaud during a Milwaukee Bucks-Boston Celtics championship game in 1974

New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image030
Cousy is pictured here with daughters, Ticia Cousy, left, and Marie Cousy during an interview at the FAMILY'SNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image032 Worcester home last Thursday

Missie began her COGNITIVENew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image034 decline a dozen years ago, Cousy told the newspaper. She would ask him the same questions repeatedly and grew disoriented, struggling with balance.

But she always knew her husband, and the fiercely independent woman, who was used to running a household with her husband gone for weeks at a time, refused to believe she was suffering from dementia.

So, used to 'game plans,' Cousy WORKED HARDNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image036 to create the perception that his bride was still her old self.

He had her station wagon shipped to their place in Florida in the winter because she thought she could still drive. He planted ARTIFICIAL FLOWERSNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image038 in the garden and did all the chores, telling her she'd done them herself.

When her condition worsened, the couple stopped SOCIALIZINGNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image040 and apart from the occasional 'night out with the boys' or game of golf, he spent all his time alone with his sweetheart, patiently answering her questions and ensuring she had everything she needed.

'It drew us closer together,' he told the newspaper. 'It was never a chore, because I knew she would have done the same for me. You just have to go with the flow. Every three months, I'd scream out something just for release.'

New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image042
New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image044

Sports lover: Cousy, pictured left in 2007, and right in 1950, was always a sports love and spent weeks away from his FAMILYNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image046 while playing

New Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image048
Legend on and off the court: Cousy, 14, brings the ball past a New York Knickerbockers defender during a game at Madison Square Garden in New York, March 3, 1963 during his last appearance in New York as a professional basketball player

Each morning, Cousy would wake first and arrange Missie's pills, the newspaper, a fiber bar and a banana on the kitchen table before rousing her.

She would take two or three hours to get through the paper, he said, because she liked to underline every line with a black pen. He explained how, after a while, he found COMFORTNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image050 in reading between the lines because it was something they shared.

'She was leading a happy life,' he said. 'It was part of the game plan.'

The routine CONTINUEDNew Bob Cousy mix: Master of the Fast Break 0clip_image052 for years.

But on September 7, when Cousy took his wife for an early dinner at Worcester Country Club and on the drive home she suffered a severe stroke. She died peacefully two weeks later.

Now, he no longer puts her pills out in the morning or reads between the lines. But, as he did for decades before, he still tells his wife he loves her before bed each night.
It's hard to entirely give up the game plan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2441171/NBA-legend-Bob-Cousy-let-dementia-suffering-wife-believe-healthy.html

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks Sam.  As great a basketball player as Cousy was he is a greater man.  And that's where it counts.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Sloop,

He's just one of a growing number of prominent sports figures I've come to appreciate more after his playing days than during them.  And, believe me, I appreciated him plenty during his playing days!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman9758 Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 am

Sam, when did you start watching basketball, what generation of players was the first you saw?

dantheman9758

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:58 am

Dan,

I started watching in 1950, the season that Bob Cousy joined the Celtics.  I believe the poster known as Swish started watching very close to the time the Celtics joined the league, around 1946.  Along with The Cooz, the first generation of players I saw included stars such as George Mikan, Paul Arizon, and Neil Johnston

I don't know whether you might be interested, but my personal history of the Russell Celtics and a description of some of my relationships with those teams appear in the sub-forum on the home page labeled "Links, Books, Media and Sam's Writings."  Sorry there's nothing about the Cavs in there because there were no Cavs yet in those days.  Heck, they had just invented words!

The way you're headed, you might some day produce a visual history of you and the Cavs.  They seem headed in an exciting direction, and my advice to you (though you probably don't need it) is to treasure every detail of the adventure and store it carefully in your memory.  Decades from now, I promise you'll be glad you did.

And I echo Bob Heckler's hope that you'll post here early and often, even if the Celtics are not your primary interest.  Just look at the various threads, and you'll notice the wide range of topics we discuss—even deviating from basketball when the mood strikes us.

All the best,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down