kdp59
gyso
KyleCleric
bobheckler
beat
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vitor ...... 3X over the legal limit ?? DWI Empty Vitor ...... 3X over the legal limit ?? DWI

Post by beat Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/8/4/5967235/vitor-faverani-arrested-for-drunk-driving

Guess he should stick to driving down the court not the street.....

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Vitor ...... 3X over the legal limit ?? DWI Empty Re: Vitor ...... 3X over the legal limit ?? DWI

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Maybe he needs another type of rehab besides his knee?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Vitor ...... 3X over the legal limit ?? DWI Empty Re: Vitor ...... 3X over the legal limit ?? DWI

Post by KyleCleric Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:50 pm

stupid

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Hombre Irresponsible

(not mine, I saw it in the CelticBlog article)

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:54 pm

so THATS how we make room for Iverson!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Trying to figure out what this means in our terms.

Here's a page that lists the alcohol limits in Valencia, Spain, where he was busted.

http://valencia.angloinfo.com/information/transport/driving/penalties-drink/

Now, here's the page from Mass DMV:

http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/automotive-law/dui.php

The US version says ".08", but .08 of what? The Spanish version is grams of alcohol/liter.

Maybe someone else can normalize this.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:09 pm

The BAC Calculator

This BAC calculator can only estimate your blood alcohol levels. Metabolism, body fat percentage and medication are other factors that can affect the rate of absorbtion by the body, and these are not considered in this calculation.

Blood alcohol content (BAC) or blood alcohol level is the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream. It is usually measured as mass per volume. For example, a BAC of 0.04% means 0.4% (permille) or 0.04 grams of alcohol per 100 grams of individual's blood. Use the HealthStatus BAC Calculator for informational purposes only, and not to drink and drive or drink and work.

Every state in the U.S. has a legal Blood Alchohol (BAC) limit of 0.08% per se. Most states also have lower legal BAC limits for young and inexperienced drivers, professional drivers and commercial drivers. Sentences for drunk driving include imprisonment, large fines, lengthy drivers license suspension and/or revocation, house arrest, community service, DUI schools, alcohol treatment programs, vehicle forfeiture and ignition interlock restrictions.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/blood-alcohol-bac-calculator

We've gone metric!!

Here is one for us:

http://celtickane.com/projects/blood-alcohol-content-bac-calculator/

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Whatever standards are involved, three times the legal limit is stupid.  Every Monday night throughout the year, we join a group of 15-25 people that we call The Monday Club.  We each bring something to eat and something for the group.  The conversation ranges far and wide.  Tonight at least half the time was spent on drunk driving.  I was amazed at how many people attempted to rationalize the scenarios in which their kids or friends had been caught driving drunk.  And I'm sure those perspectives are multiplied by tens of millions around the country who feel that drunk driving is senseless but have a ready excuse when it happens to someone who's close.

Wise up, Vitor.  And I wish millions of others would follow suit.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 pm

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Spain's limit for adults is .05%.  Vitor was 3x the limit, so he was about .15%.

USA's limit is .08%, so Vitor was less than 2x our limit.

2x our limit does not sound as bad as 3x our limit, which many may have assumed (I did).  I assumed he was .24%, which is just about passed out.

Still a very bad decision to drive impaired.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:00 pm

gyso,

It's impossible to know about all the factors that bear on legal limits in various countries.  It could be that, depending on road conditions where he was driving, three times the local limit was more egregious than two times the U.S. limit.  It's sort of like comparing eras in basketball.  Drunk driving is drunk driving, and good basketball is good basketball.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:21 am

Sam,

The Wiki article indicates the legal limits of BAC in various countries, what other factors are you suggesting?  Road conditions, for instance, is not mentioned in the article and may not be a factor.  However, in Germany, a term called "Relative Fahruntüchtigkeit" is relevant there because alcohol acts differently across the population.  

Like comparing eras in basketball?  I can't even begin to understand that comment, please explain further.

3x the legal limit in Sweden, Puerto Rico and others (.02%) is still legal in the USA.  "Drunk driving is drunk driving" does not make logical sense in this application.

Have you ever had a single drink and driven a car?  Then you would have been guilty of drunk driving in all the countries that have "zero effective tolerance".  In those countries, it is illegal to have any measurable alcohol in the blood while driving in these countries.

Ralph Kramden would be over the limit if he had a .01% BAC at work, but would be perfectly legal to hit the bar and then drive home after work with that level of BAC.

Hey, all I was doing in my previous post was comparing that 3x in Spain was less than 2x in ours.  I was just doing math and making comparisons.  Now you made me do more math, whose conclusions are that 3x in some countries is not drunk driving in ours.

I still say that it was a very bad decision for him to drive impaired.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:10 am

This sounds bad. The one thing I'll say in his favor is that initial reports are often wrong, and everything I've seen is based on the report in one Spanish newspaper. I'll try to keep an open mind until I get more definitive information.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 am

gyso wrote:The BAC Calculator

This BAC calculator can only estimate your blood alcohol levels. Metabolism, body fat percentage and medication are other factors that can affect the rate of absorbtion by the body, and these are not considered in this calculation.

Blood alcohol content (BAC) or blood alcohol level is the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream. It is usually measured as mass per volume. For example, a BAC of 0.04% means 0.4% (permille) or 0.04 grams of alcohol per 100 grams of individual's blood. Use the HealthStatus BAC Calculator for informational purposes only, and not to drink and drive or drink and work.

Every state in the U.S. has a legal Blood Alchohol (BAC) limit of 0.08% per se. Most states also have lower legal BAC limits for young and inexperienced drivers, professional drivers and commercial drivers. Sentences for drunk driving include imprisonment, large fines, lengthy drivers license suspension and/or revocation, house arrest, community service, DUI schools, alcohol treatment programs, vehicle forfeiture and ignition interlock restrictions.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/blood-alcohol-bac-calculator

We've gone metric!!

Here is one for us:

http://celtickane.com/projects/blood-alcohol-content-bac-calculator/

gyso

GYSO Pretty much explains it.

Some states for years were .10 BAC but the feds decided to make every state go to .08 and if they failed to do it they would cut off federal highway funds............didn't take long for the states to fall in goose step with .08.

Having been dealing with different aspects of DWI's for several years I have seen a wide range of BAC's. On the high end I do recall one that was OVER .6 yes .6. The man acted pretty normal when he was around a .25 or so. Never seen anyone with so much tolerance. In New York now anyone over .18 is considered an Aggravated DWI and penalties are suppose to be harsher with no plea bargaining involved, (yet there still is some) but the fines and surcharges are larger. Also for any DWI conviction of any type now (drugs included) if the perp is eligible for a conditional license they MUST have an interlock device installed in ANY vehicle he drives, he pays for this too and the monthly maintenance of it. In order to start the vehicle he must provide a breath test and the sample must fall below a very low threshold for the vehicle to start. If too high the vehicle will LOCK out and then the installer has to come out and "unlock" it. If there is a lockout we are informed via an email. The person best have a good explanation as to what happened or he gets to speak with the judge. And if your thinking someone else could blow into it for him, won't work, Sober Uncle Bill can't blow into the device for him (well he can BUT there is a camera affixed to the device that shows whoever is blowing into it) PLUS even if he did send the drunk nephew on his way, within a very few minutes after there is a rolling test done that will require the driver to blow again. Failure to do this second test will eventually disable the vehicle within a matter of a few minutes.

Penalties are getting stiffer and most Euro countries have a lower threshold and stiffer penalties than many states in the US but we are catching up. New York has recently signed into law mandatory prison (3-7 years) for a third DWI conviction in 15 years.

No clue how this will all turn out for Vitor. As Outside said we have precious little information, but if indeed he was 3X over the Spanish DWI limit, penalties could be quite severe.

Why do people continue to drink and drive? No good answer, other than like most criminals, they simply do not think they will get caught.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 am

Vitor's blood alcohol level was 0.15%. It is a crime in Spain to drive with a BAC over 0.12%. Their penalty is 6 months in jail and a 4 year loss of license. This event, crashing into a bus while drunk, shows incredibly poor judgment by Vitor and is a pretty good sign that he is either a first time drinker or else someone well progressed into the disease of alcoholism. I say a first time drinker quite charitably and I doubt Vitor had never experienced alcohol before. Ray Rice deserved a stiffer penalty from the NFL. Vitor deserves a stiff penalty as well. Not another stiff drink.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:28 am

I have always been fascinated at the legal limit as it pertains to scientific impairment. It used to be you were impaired at .15, then .10 now .08 in the US. Looks like we are regressing in our abilities to handle certain amounts of alcohol as we evolve.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 am

Pete, I bet your guitar playing improves as your BAC goes up.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:34 am

Worcester, at least it sounds better to me!
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:50 am

Are you still playing at O'Leary's Sunday afternoon?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:57 am

Yes and some nights as well.
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 am

I'll be rolling in sometime soon.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 am

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2014/08/04/reports-celtics-center-vitor-faverani-arrested-in-spain-on-dui-charges/

REPORTS: CELTICS CENTER VITOR FAVERANI ARRESTED IN SPAIN ON DUI CHARGES
08.04.14 at 5:31 pm ET
By Ben Rohrbach

According to multiple reports out of Valencia, Spain, Celtics center Vitor Faverani has been arrested for driving under the influence (h/t CelticsBlog).

Faverani allegedly ran a red light and crashed his BMW hatchback into a bus. Nobody was injured.

According to police reports obtained by the media,  breathalyzer tests revealed as much as 0.86 milligrams of alcohol per liter of blood in Faverani’s system. That translates into a blood alcohol content of 0.18 — or three times Spain’s legal limit of 0.06.

Under Spanish law, Faverani faces a fine, community service and/or 3-6 months of imprisonment in addition to losing his license for 1-4 years.

The 6-foot-11, 260-pound Brazilian played in Valencia from 2011-13 before signing a three-year, $6.2 million contract with the Celtics last summer. His $2.2 million salary in 2015-16 is not guaranteed. Faverani averaged 4.4 points and 3.5 rebounds in 13.2 minutes over 37 games before undergoing surgery on a torn left meniscus in March. He’s been in Valencia rehabbing his knee this summer.

The Celtics did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Updates to follow.

bob
MY NOTE:  If Vitor is able to convince the Spanish court to defer or spread out his sentence (do some of the community service/jail over the next month or two and the rest next year) then the only downside will be the likely 2 games the NBA will suspend him without pay.  Obviously, for a guy who has made millions of dollars, I think Il Hombre Irresponsible will be able to afford to take taxis where he wants to go.  The question is "will he?".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:20 pm

can we buy him out now?

what are the cap implications if say we pay him $1M to stay in Europe?

do we get the $1M in cap relief (if so we can sign Iverson and not have any increase in the salary cap).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 pm

kdp59 wrote:can we buy him out now?

do we get the $1M in cap relief (if so we can sign Iverson and not have any increase in the salary cap).

Vitor would have to agree to a buyout.
I am not sure he would walk away from $1m for this season.
It's not like he is going to make tens of millions in his career.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 pm

kdp59 wrote:can we buy him out now?

kdp,

You think Iverson is an upgrade over Vitor? Iverson's brutally physical player but he has never laced up a real NBA sneaker. Aside form the oodles of experience Vitor has that Iverson doesn't, Vitor's offensive game is a bazillion years ahead of Iverson's.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Rolling Eyes 

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next