Does Guard Defense Matter?

+2
Sam
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Does Guard Defense Matter? Empty Does Guard Defense Matter?

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:49 pm

http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/08/13/celtics-upside-roster-point-guard-defense/

Posted on August 13, 2014 by Andrew Johnson

It has been remarked a couple of times this off season that the Celtics are going into the season with an upside down roster, their guards can’t shoot and their bigs can’t play defense. Certainly with Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey and Marcus Smart on the roster, all with shaky three point shots, there is some truth to that.  The Celtics front court also scored relatively poorly looking at the ability to protect the rim, using the new SportVu data.

But before we get too far into the specifics of the Celtics roster, as currently constructed, I want to question the idea that it would inherently be bad if a team did have an ‘upside down’ roster.

James Brocato, over at his website Shut Up and Jam, did an interesting study that calls that idea into question. He looked at long term stabilized adjusted plus minus data, known as RAPM, comparing players by position on offense and defense. There are issues with RAPM to be sure, but in the realm of orthogonal data on basketball defense, the one eyed man is king. In any case, in the study, Brocato found that, yes, centers tended to score higher on defense on average than guards, and guards on average, scored better on offense.

So, centers are more ‘important’ to defense, right?

Well, you may have noticed I used scare quotes there, because that’s not whole story. It’s true that the data supports the idea that a team benefits defensively having a center on the court. But the interesting thing Brocato found, was that the range of values between the top centers and bottom centers on defense was largely the same as the range between the top point guards and bottom point guards on defense.

Here’s Brocato’s image from his study:

Does Guard Defense Matter? Defense11

I ran a similar study with both RAPM and ESPN’s Real Plus Minus (RPM), a version that combines box score stats and plus/minus data, and in both cases got the same result as Brocato, guard rated better on offense and centers better on defense, but with a spread that is largely similar.  The implication is that hiring an above average back court defender, defined as say top third at position is as advantageous as hiring a top third front court defender.  And the same thing applies to a top 5% defender at either spot.

The chart below demonstrates the idea, by taking a line up with all average defenders and replacing them with a top 5% guard or center and then a bottom 5% defender at each position:

Does Guard Defense Matter? Defense-Line-Ups

In both studies, the relative difference between a top 5% defensive point guard and top 5% center being inserted into the line up was small.   Using the 2014 RPM data as an example, Andrew Bogut ranked at the  top 5% mark among centers and Chris Paul was at the top 5% mark for point guards.   The RPM data indicates, that to say nothing of his offense, replacing an average point guard with Chris Paul gives his team almost as much of a defensive boost as replacing an average center with Bogut.

Does Guard Defense Matter? Bogut-Paul1

Conversely, Aaron Brooks ranked at approximately the bottom 5% mark for point guards and Atlanta rookie Mike Muscala ranked as approximately the bottom 5% mark for centers.  The difference between their defense and the position average is similarly close.

Does Guard Defense Matter? Brooks-Muscala

To be clear, both this year’s data and Brocato’s longer term study only include players actual NBA front offices and coaching staffs considered plausible as an NBA center, it doesn’t imply that one could trot Shane Larkin out as the back line of a defense and not suffer a disproportionate fall off in defense.  It is also too broad a brush study, to comment on the efficacy of twin tower line ups or three guard line ups and the like.

Even though the difference between the spread in the studies is not statistically significant, my prior is that there is at least some small increase in the dispersion in talent for centers if only because of the small pool among 6-11 human beings. There may also be more ways to ‘hide’ a back court player on defense than a center. But, what this data does indicate, I think, is that the difference between guards’ defense matters, perhaps more than we often give credit.

bob
MY NOTE:  Guard defense matters unless, you want to give up penetration drives which result in layups or your bigs picking up fouls as they are forced to switch to cover for the guard's failure.  Anybody who resembles the straw man he constructed, the one that doesn't give guards credit for the value of defense, doesn't know ball.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Does Guard Defense Matter? Empty Re: Does Guard Defense Matter?

Post by Sam Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:09 pm

Defense matters, period.  But there's always a context in basketball.  An important context in this case involves the offensive strength of the opponent at each position.  Moreover, with the widespread popularity of team defense, individual defense isn't as important as back when man-to-man was the defense of the day.  Nowadays, what's more important is the way in which the five players on the floor can work together to neutralize the enemy's strengths.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:30 pm

My head hurts trying to figure out what this guy is saying.

Between a bad starting point (they now have a legit three-point shooter in Thornton and an actual center in Zeller, yet the whole premise is based on last year's roster), undefined and imperfect stats as the basis ("There are issues with RAPM to be sure, but in the realm of orthogonal data on basketball defense, the one eyed man is king"), and multicolored graphs where neither the X nor Y axis is defined, I'm not surprised that I can't figure out what this article is actually saying.

Here's my version.

Posted on August 14, 2014 by Outside

Yes.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Outside wrote:My head hurts trying to figure out what this guy is saying.

Between a bad starting point (they now have a legit three-point shooter in Thornton and an actual center in Zeller, yet the whole premise is based on last year's roster), undefined and imperfect stats as the basis ("There are issues with RAPM to be sure, but in the realm of orthogonal data on basketball defense, the one eyed man is king"), and multicolored graphs where neither the X nor Y axis is defined, I'm not surprised that I can't figure out what this article is actually saying.

Here's my version.

Posted on August 14, 2014 by Outside

Yes.

I'll just add to that wordy response....and ask a question in return.

Does breathing matter?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Outside,

23 statistics courses, and this made my head hurt too.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:28 pm

I'll humor him.

I would say that centers are a bit more important to defense because a team with no interior defense will get beat on the boards and miss a lot of opportunities to get stops. Having strong wing defenders, however, allows for better defense at the point of attack.

The Celtics had solid wing defenders last year, but the interior weakness proved to be too much to overcome. During the Big 3 era, the Celtics had a strong interior defense with KG & Perk.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:31 pm

It's a team thing. Different positions have different roles and when it all works the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Dave Cowens called the center the quarterback of the defense. The center is usually the one who can see the entire offensive flow of the opponent and thus is in the best vantage point to position the defense. This was exactly what Kevin Garnett did when he was here, constantly talking.

Of course, a great team defense can make a player who should be a weak defender into a great one. Larry Bird was a prime example. The guy was a weak one-on-one defender but made three all-defensive teams by combining his court sense with the defensive prowess of guys like Parish, McHale, DJ and Ainge, who was one of the most irritating pests in basketball history; a guy who mastered the art of being basketball's version of the mosquito that buzzes in your ear just when you're falling asleep.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down