Summer Quandaries - Potential For Locker Room Problems

+2
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Summer Quandaries - Potential For Locker Room Problems Empty Summer Quandaries - Potential For Locker Room Problems

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:37 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/08/sq14-18-potential-for-locker-room.html

Summer Quandaries - Potential For Locker Room Problems YinYangBasketballgreenSQ

A lot has been written about expected on-court problems with this year’s Boston Celtics.  While I am sure there will be growing pains, and some painful, I’m actually pretty bullish about the play of the team.  It is in the locker room, and on the bench, that I am most leery of there being sour notes struck.

Last year discord was mostly limited to Keith Bogans’ outburst in January over lack of playing time.  Perhaps any other squabbling was prevented by the Ainge/Stevens leadership inviting Mr. Bogans to keep his grousing at home or at least away from the Celtics’ facility, for, well, ever.  We may see a similar situation, and remedy, arise this year as there are several vets who are unlikely to get the playing time they might feel they deserve.

Even though he is still on the roster at this point, I don’t think Bogans will be permitted any chance to make waves.  I suspect he will not be invited to participate in training camp and I expect him to be gone before this year’s exorbitant salary becomes guaranteed in January, if not sooner.  No, the vets to which I am referring are Joel Anthony, Gerald Wallace, and Brandon Bass.  I should probably include Marcus Thornton who most consider to not be around beyond this season, but I know almost nothing about him.  

This final season of Anthony and Bass is unlikely to see either of them steal many minutes away from the young big men who appear to be the future of the Celtics.  I think Sullinger and Olynyk will get almost all the minutes at power forward; and that Zeller and Faverani will get the lion’s share of the playing time at center.  Olynyk may supplant some of Faverani’s time at center but regardless it would seem that developing the youngsters will be a much higher priority than to feed Bass or Anthony enough minutes to keep either satisfied.  

Now Anthony has seen his action dip dramatically even before coming here from Miami, but Bass is a hard-working and solid vet still in his prime.  Joel may offer little protest, public or private.  Bass on the other hand has every right to be productively used.  It is just that nothing Bass does on the court will make the Celtics any better two years from now.  This is an inherently awkward situation, and obviously one Ainge hopes to avoid by moving Bass.  If Bass stays, and begins to chafe, this might become an issue that could taint the locker-room atmosphere.

In my opinion the most serious threat however, is posed by Gerald Wallace.  Last fall offered substantial indication that he does not easily tolerate displeasure, and has few constraints about expressing his opinion, quite loudly and publically.  I thought the team, and Stevens, did well to avoid Wallace’s discordant comments becoming a distraction in that first third of the season.  He wasn’t having his minutes being constricted then, as I most certainly feel they will be this season.  In addition to Turner joining the team, and Young being drafted, it seems unlikely that either Jeff Green or Wallace will see any playing time at shooting guard or power forward this year.  Given Gerald’s history, it seems unlikely that he will lose his minutes in silence.  This is particularly troubling due to the fact that it seems highly unlikely that Wallace can be moved before next summer or next season.  Hence the problem might not be of short duration.

Ainge will be trying to resolve these issues with personnel moves, and Stevens will be trying to develop his players and refine his team’s approach.   However, you can be quite sure that each will be keeping a close eye on any development of internal conflict, and will act rapidly and decisively to resolve, or at least contain, any such problems.

bob
MY NOTE:  Last year saw Bass pingpong from the bench to the starting 5, back to the bench and back to the starting 5.  I heard no grousing, at all, from him (or from Hump, for that matter, even though it happened to him too).  Brandon Bass is not Glen Davis.  I love Bass.  I love his dedication to his craft, I love his professionalism, his money mid-range jumper and his willingness to become a defensive anchor last year when the loss of KG left us with none.  He deserves to be treated well, he has earned it.  However, once again, you can't trade someone if nobody wants him.  I hope one of the things he practiced this past year was on extending his shooting range.  Personally, I'm just fine with what he has, but other GMs like stretch 4s (ugh) and so his ability to hit from longer range will help him to find a home where he'll get the minutes he deserves on a team that offers him the opportunity to play in the playoffs and make some noise.  Either way, I have nothing but good feelings about Brandon Bass.  He was, after all, the recipient of last season's Red Auerbach Award, which is awarded to the player who most exemplifies the spirit of what it means to be a Celtic.  How can you NOT love a player like that (and why would you assume he's going to suddenly turn into someone else)?

Wallace bitched in the beginning.  Then, he stopped.  I don't think he stopped because of Bogans, I think he stopped because he finally wrapped his mind around reality.  He went from a good team getting better to a rebuilding team where he was the "old man" and he wasn't going to start, for the first time in his career.  He was on a team that was going to play young but not execute all that well.  And what, exactly, was the nature of Wallace's bitch?  He didn't think that some players were playing as hard as he thought they should.  That's a message, as long as he doesn't name names, I'm glad he delivered loudly and clearly.   You're wearing Celtic Green now.  Play with Pride.  Play hard.  All the time.  Every second.  Period.  

He was right in saying the locker room pulled together pretty nicely once Mssr. Bogans was sent packing.  What I don't understand is why he'd think it'd be any different this year?  Zeller will get Hump's minutes and not cut into anybody else's much.  Wallace will be at less than 100% because of his surgery so I suspect his criticism, if there is any, will be more muted than last year.  Wallace is very much a "walk the walk" type of player and, if he's hobbled, will likely be talking less too. Also, if he is less than 100%, that frees up minutes for others, which will reduce grousing.

Interestingly, the area you usually hear talked about, when it comes to potential locker room issues, he didn't touch.  He didn't mention the log jam in the back court.  Will Marcus Thornton be this year's Keith Bogans?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries - Potential For Locker Room Problems Empty Re: Summer Quandaries - Potential For Locker Room Problems

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:57 pm

It still remains to be seen if Thornton will even be here. August is coming to a close and many teams are beginning to put their rotations in order. Maybe someone will want him on another team? 

I know, I know, no one wants Wallace. It would be a joy to see him gone. The money they are paying him is crazy, he is an overpaid veteran. I know it was necessary to accept his contract in the trade, but, it is the biggest problem they have as far as I am concerned. Maybe you do not think he will be upset not playing, but I am not buying that. This is a formerly talented player who is having trouble dealing with the fact that his skills are eroding fast. 

I truly hope I am wrong, I know you feel he is a pro and will act that way, but I am not so sure

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries - Potential For Locker Room Problems Empty Re: Summer Quandaries - Potential For Locker Room Problems

Post by Sam Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:29 pm

I think Wallace reluctantly solidified his Celtics identity when he shifted from being somewhat of a malcontent to being a positive element, even in his remarks.  I believe he sees himself as a senior NBA citizen who needs to consider both his playing legacy and his potential for a future role in the NBA.  The "X" factor in his case is how he'll rebound from his injury.  The repercussions from that situation could dramatically affect both his play and his demeanor either positively or negatively.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:14 pm

yeah, I don't see Bass being a problem.

Wallace could be , but as others have said the injury and maybe the realization that earning $10M for being a old player is a nice gig should keep him in check for this season.

Same with Anthony, he is HERE because he KNOWS no one else wants him, much less at $3M plus. take the money and be a good OLD NBA vet on the end of the bench (or be sent home like Bogans).

Thornton will minutes early then likely be traded by the deadline, IMO.

but if he plays poorly he could be an option for the stay home crew too.

IF ANY of the older players want to bitch...I think Ainge needs to tell them to go home. we can sign D-leaguers for nothing who will be HAPPY to sit on the end of an NBA teams bench.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:21 pm

I think some of us are assuming that the Bogans type of rejection is some sort of regular strategy in the NBA.  I never recall its happening before (although perhaps I'm overlooking something), but it's certainly not a frequently used tactic in the NBA.  It accomplishes nothing but removing a malcontent from the daily environment of the team.  They still have to honor his contract.  I'm quite sure no NBA player has been sent home because of poor play.

I've heard nothing about Thornton's being a malcontent.  We should not forget times in the past when injuries reduced the team to barely the minimum legal number of players and coaches like Lue had to fill in at practice because there weren't enough bodies.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 pm

You are right about that Sam, I never remember this being something that a team did with a malcontent. It may be that they hid them on the "injured" list? But, last year Bogans disappeared, then Jason Terry was traded by the Nets and he was told not to bother coming, they did not want him. I know he was injured at times, but I thought he was okay at the time of the trade. So here is another one being paid for sitting.

Did this happen when Vin Baker was on the team? I know one thing, they should have sent Sidney Wicks home when he "played" here, all he did was complain.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:00 pm

Rosalie,

Good question about Baker.  I'm quite sure he was absent from the team for quite a while for obvious reasons.  I just don't know on whose volition the absence occurred.  Don't I recall a brief time when there seemed a possibility that they could void his contract?

As for Sidney, I have come to feel that his last name is a "W" word that is blasphemous.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:08 pm

You bring up a question that I posted on another topic. It was about Keyon Dooling. Why did they not cancel his contract? Everything happened before the season started? I am baffled by this, have been since it happened. He retired, left the team, and then, at a time when he felt he was better, signed with another team. I think the Celtics bought him out, but didn't it count against their cap for the year?

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:40 pm

I don't even know how to conceive Bass as a potential locker room problem.

Second, Wallace was justifiably upset. But he still performed with great intensity. I was of the mindset that the Celtics missed his defense last year.

I know nothing about Thornton. So, yeah.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:44 am

I think the last player to worry about is Bass.  I also do not agree with the writer's assertion that Bass will be benched because Sully and KO need more minutes.

There could be an issue with the SF spot (Green, Wallace and Turner)  No happy campers out of that group.  And if Turner emerges as a reliable teammate, I would not be surprised to see Green moved  (We still need a rim protector)  Wallace will continue to grip about minutes and us fans feel like his contract goes on forever.

In the end I think that minutes must be earned by some players.  I also think that the best way for this team to fully utilized their depth is to play fast and furious.  Coach Stevens needs to assert his vision and demand that his players expend more energy on the court.  He must demand that his players play hard enough so that they will welcome a seat on the bench.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:56 am

I think you are underestimating the value of Green, and I hardly view him as a malcontent in the locker room. That just is not in his character.  I be\lieve he will come out this year and be more aggresive, remember this is an option year for him, is it not??
As far as Bass goes, the only thing you will hear from him is how he is working on his game. Bass is not a troublemaker. He has worked very hard in the time he has been here.

The reports that have DA "trying like hell" to move Bass could be the same situation as PP and Garnett were in. He deserves to be on a team who could use his skills while vying for a playoff run. I think that that thought is what is driving Danny to move him while he is movable. My only problem is that I do think that Danny's thought of Bass's value is not what other teams think. That is why he is still here. 

Sully has shown a tendency to get into foul trouble early, Bass is a reliable man to have on your bench.

I think it is time to get this season started, we are all looking for things to talk about that may not even exist!

Rosalie  
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:21 pm

I've resisted the term "rim protector" because it sounds to me like a synonym for "shot blocker."  Sixteen NBA players blocks 2 or more shots per 36 minutes last season.  Zeller blocked 1.6.  Big deal difference.

More important to me iw whetther he can stand his ground against the relatively few behemoths in the league.  Toward this end, Tyler has worked hard to add muscle weight to his already-250+ pound frame.  While it would be nice to add a real center for a backup role I'm quite content to let Tyler show what he can do in the middle for a Brad Stevens team.

I don't expect him to become a savior for the future, but I'm hoping he can do a representative job of balancing the troops for the next season (or perhaps longer).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Rosie

I was not suggesting that Green is a malcontent in the locker room.

He is the starting SF but now he has not one player (Wallace) wanting more minutes but also Evan Turner.  Brad Stevens will need to solve this puzzle and perhaps we could see both Green and Turner playing together with Turner at the 2.  The guy that most likely gets short minutes is Wallace.  

At this point I do not take any rumors seriously so the Move Bass movement may be as fictitious as the other countless rumors that have been raining down on Celtics Nation.  

There is really only one certainty.  We really do not know how this team will look with all of the new additions (Zeller, Turner, Thornton, Smart, Young) And we do not know is Rajon will be better than last year.  We do not know if Sully will continue to shoot the ball from behind the arc and we do not know if KO's added muscle will help him be better on the glass and in post defensive initiatives.  We do not know if Avery can play a full season without getting saddled with those nagging injuries.  We do not know if Jeff Green will improve his shooting percentage.

There is a long list of unknowns and a longer list of prognostications.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:45 pm

sam wrote:I've resisted the term "rim protector" because it sounds to me like a synonym for "shot blocker."  Sixteen NBA players blocks 2 or more shots per 36 minutes last season.  Zeller blocked 1.6.  Big deal difference.

More important to me iw whetther he can stand his ground against the relatively few behemoths in the league.  Toward this end, Tyler has worked hard to add muscle weight to his already-250+ pound frame.  While it would be nice to add a real center for a backup role I'm quite content to let Tyler show what he can do in the middle for a Brad Stevens team.

I don't expect him to become a savior for the future, but I'm hoping he can do a representative job of balancing the troops for the next season (or perhaps longer).

Sam

I expect Zeller to surprise a lot of people.  He finished the season strong averaging 12 ppg and 6.8 boards (last 6 games that he played)  He did this while averaging only 21 MPG.  He is not a big time shot blocker but he is a mobile 7 footer that plays in the post.  He does not have to block a shot but just alter where and how the shot is taken.  A true shot blocking big will be added eventually.  In the interim we finally have a legit center that will bring balance to the team.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Dboss, have you been looking into my head?  (Watch out for dandruff.)  That's a perfect summation of how I feel about Zeller.  For one thing, I'm not sure any of could have lived through another summer in which no center with at least some promise (rather than advanced age) was acquired by the Celts.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Too bad they could not have stolen Plumlee, I really like that kid. 

dboss...I think Turner is going to move ahead of Wallace on the bench. They have to see if he is worth it or trade him in February. Anyone else see him the same way?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Rosalie, I could see that happening.  I'm not sure either of the two represents a long-term Celtics asset, but I'd bet on Turner over Wallace for the kind of team I think the Celtics are trying to construct.  Of course, a lot will depend on Wallace's recovery from injury.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:40 pm

The Turner-Green-Wallace dynamic will be interesting. Wallace is coming off of surgery, so mostly Green and Turner will be playing those minutes.

I'm also not in favor of "replacing" Green with Turner. Not enough to push the needle.

Zeller doesn't have to be a Joakim Noah/Dwight Howard. He just has to play solid defense, contribute a bit on offense in the form of high-percentage shots, post passing, and rebounding.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:23 pm

I sometimes think the important thing is to keep the opponent on his heels. I could see the combination of Green's outside shooting and transition game, Turner's slashing game and Wallace's energy game representing enough variety to keep opposing small forwards fully engaged and maybe even fighting for breath on occasion.

It's never about the individual.  It's all about the team.  And the additions of guys like Turner, Zeller, Smart and maybe even Thornton should be very likely to have very positive effects on the games of some of the holdovers such as Sully, Kelly, Green and Bradley.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down