Brazil's Height Good Test for Team USA

Go down

Brazil's Height Good Test for Team USA Empty Brazil's Height Good Test for Team USA

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:03 pm

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/nba_coverage/2014/08/brazils_height_good_test_for_team_usa

Brazil's height good test for Team USA

Brazil's Height Good Test for Team USA Brazil%20USA%20Basketball_Rose
Photo by: Associated Press
United States' Anthony Davis (14), of the New Orleans Pelicans, dunks over Brazil's Tiago Splitter, of the San Antonio Spurs, during the second half of an exhibition basketball game Saturday, Aug. 16, 2014, in Chicago. The United States won 95-78.

Sunday, August 17, 2014
By: K.C. Johnson

Exhibition or not, the test Brazil posed Saturday night at the United Center should serve as a reminder that USA Basketball will have to earn gold at next month's FIBA World Cup.

"We're more capable of getting beat than we would be in London or Beijing," Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said, referencing the last two Olympic gold medals. "We don't have veterans and we're not as big."

Paul George's injury and the high-profile withdrawals of Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin and Kevin Love forced Krzyzewski to compare this team to the 2010 world championship squad that captured gold in Turkey because of "emerging stars."

The Bulls' Derrick Rose started on that team and followed by becoming the youngest most valuable player in NBA history. Now, the incumbent will be leaned on heavily for skill and leadership. He started by acknowledging how tough co-favorite Spain, with new Bull Pau Gasol, will be.

"They would be a great challenge because they have experienced bigs," Rose said of Spain. "We have small bigs. And they have been playing together for six or seven years as a national team. It's going to be a challenge."

Fallen forward: Team USA wore shooting shirts with "United We Stand" and "PG" on them to acknowledge George, who suffered a compound fracture of his right leg during an Aug. 1 intrasquad scrimmage.

"We haven't forgotten," managing director Jerry Colangelo said. "We want everyone to rally behind that."

Like many players, former Bull Kyle Korver hasn't and won't watch a replay of the injury.

"I didn't watch the kid from Louisville (Andre Ware); I didn't watch Shaun Livingston," Korver said. "I don't want those images somewhere in the back of my head."

Roster roulette: DeMarcus Cousins didn't play after bruising his right knee in Thursday's practice. Colangelo said he hopes to have the roster down from 16 to the final 12 by next weekend, but injuries could change that.

bob
MY NOTE:  USA!  USA!  USA!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down