Summer Quandaries: The Science Of The Basketball Screen

Go down

Summer Quandaries:  The Science Of The Basketball Screen Empty Summer Quandaries: The Science Of The Basketball Screen

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/08/sq14-24-science-of-basketball-screen.html

Summer Quandaries:  The Science Of The Basketball Screen YinYangBasketballgreenSQ

If you consider what a huge portion of NBA offenses are based on the pick-and-roll/pop, it is quite surprising just how poorly screens are set, and used.  At times the screener looks more like a pulling guard on an end sweep.  When they do actually get set, if it looks like the player trying to use the screen isn’t coming by close enough, then the screener starts shuffling into better position.  Kendrick Perkins probably picked up more fouls on “improved” screens than he did smacking drivers nearing the hoop to deny a lay-up.

It’s not like the rules have changed, so it is difficult to explain just why this basic play is so frequently done ineptly.  In part you have to blame the inconsistent enforcement by the referees--if they aren’t calling it and the opponents are doing it, then you put your team at a disadvantage if you don’t do it also.  You can not put all the blame on the screener for the poor execution since it is up to the ball-handler to do two things, perhaps three, to set up the play.  First the ball-handler often has to wait so that the screener is set before the play launches into his position.  Second, he has to be sure he drives by close enough to the screener to insure the defender makes contact unless the defender drops below the screener (frequently seen defending Rondo), in which case the ball-handler has already been gifted one option--stop behind the screen and shoot.  Often (and third) this requires the ball-handler to at least feint, either to shoot or to move in the opposite direction, or perhaps to actually take a dribble or two away from the screen in order to create the approach angle when he reverses direction.  In any case many of the illegal screen calls are actually due to the failure of the screen-user rather than the player setting the screen.

Also there are a lot of calls for screeners hip checking rather than facing the approaching ball and defender.  According to the rules the screener much be squared up to the approaching defender; and he much not move into the defender or throw out a shoulder or elbow to make/enhance contact.  Actually we Celtics’ fans have had an entire decade of watching illegal screens.  Both Perkins and Garnett often drew the ire of opposing coaches for their tendency to lean, or scoot, or just walk into the screen--and get away with it. Now obviously I have miss-seen if you are talking to Tommy Heinsohn but I suspect that Mike Gorman would see it more as a 50/50 split.

Pick plays are going to remain a main ingredient in NBA offenses so it would behoove the Celtics to learn to run them properly.  Boston certainly has some fine players quite suited to employing this stratagem.  Rondo, Smart, and even Pressey are all capable of creating chaos in the opponents’ defenses by guiding their defenders into picks set by Sullinger, Faverani, Olynyk, or Bass.  Stevens just needs to ingrain the need for the guards to wait for the picker to come set, and the pickers to just reset and try again rather than improve the pick if the angle of approach is not working out.  Actually I have quite a bit of confidence that each of these parties is capable of doing/teaching it right.

Only 41 more days until the start of training camp.

bob
MY NOTE:  Once again, kudos to Lee Lauderdale for coming up with an interesting and relevant topic.  This may be the doldrums but he's doing his part to make them less of a 'dull-drums'.  He mentions how many days left to camp at the end of every column.  Does he actually have 41 more good ideas for threads?  This inquiring mind definitely wants to know.  Keep it up, Lee, you're carrying the team.

Sully and Bass should certainly be able to set solid, wide pics.  Faverani should too, he just didn't last year.  He rolled WAY too quickly on the pick-and-roll.  Olynyk?  That'd be nice, I'd like to see what the extra muscle does to/for his game although I think he'd be more comfortable with the pick-and-pop.  That's ok, that will work better too with a solid pick to start it.  Zeller, at a legit 250# (and he's on record as saying he needs to bulk up) should also be able to set solid screens.  I'm surprised Lauderdale forgot about him.  Hell, at 230#, I'll bet Smart could even set a good one, especially on a pin-down where the defender doesn't see you setting it up and have a head of steam running into it.

When did we start forgetting about the fundamentals like a solid pick?  I think the 3pt line announced the beginning of the end of the traditional fast break, where players all converged on the rim.  Now, the first priority for a trailer is to run to the corner.  If it's a 3-man break then the 3rd man might follow the ball to the iron.  I hate that.  Running to the corner isn't "instigating". Setting picks is instigating.

Here's what Damian Lillard said, about the San Antonio Spurs:  “Their screens hurt. They actually set real screens,” Lillard told CSNNW.com. “They do a great job of setting and holding screens. It wears you down. Chasing Tony Parker is one thing. Getting hit every single time is another thing. It takes a toll on you.”

There's a reason why Pop is the best coach in basketball and the Spurs are the World Champions despite being long-in-the-tooth.  It's because they are as fundamentally sound as Gibraltar.  Brad needs to improve his ATO calls and substitution patterns, this will happen with practice, but I feel pretty confident he can see this about the Spurs.  He's young, very open-minded and extremely detail-oriented and that's what fundamentals are, attention to detail.

Perhaps the best pick-and-roll duo in the history of the NBA.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down