Georgetown Thanks Jeff Green a Million

+3
dboss
mrkleen09
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Georgetown Thanks Jeff Green a Million Empty Georgetown Thanks Jeff Green a Million

Post by Sam Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Some fans might make the snide remark that Jeff's ashamed of earning so much money given his output. However, I prefer to credit him for caring about his alma mater.

Sam

Jeff Green isn't known for delivering assists, but don't tell that to his alma mater, Georgetown, which is on the receiving end of a $1 million donation from Green towards the school's new athletic center. Green's seven-figure gift was announced by the university on Thursday. CSNNE.com
Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, NCAA, Jeff Green, Georgetown
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Georgetown Thanks Jeff Green a Million Empty Re: Georgetown Thanks Jeff Green a Million

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:45 pm

17 and 5 on a terrible team.....anyway, I am not going to get into the merits of his on court play.

Off the court, Jeff Green is a smart, kind, fun, soft spoken, generous person - this is exhibit A.

This is also exhibit A of why, in spite of the fact that he may not be an NBA #1 or even a #2 option, he is a very solid player, person and teammate. Just the kind of guy you would want on your team at a very reasonable price by NBA standards.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Georgetown Thanks Jeff Green a Million Empty Re: Georgetown Thanks Jeff Green a Million

Post by dboss Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:55 pm

This was a significant contribution by Jeff...

Good for him.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Mrkleen,

I want to compliment you on the meticulous way in which you worded your post.  Especially the last sentence.

My own opinion is that Jeff is the type of player who's not a dynamic catalyst in shaping his team's fortunes but rather one who feeds off the team situation in which he finds himself.  I'm hoping a more balanced team with more experienced NBA coaching will help catapult Jeff to a more productive role.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:26 am

Celtics' Green donates $1 million to Georgetown
August 28, 2014 8:08 PM
AP - Sports

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Boston Celtics forward Jeff Green is donating $1 million to Georgetown's new athletic center.

The university announced the gift from the former Hoyas star on Thursday, Green's 28th birthday. He helped lead Georgetown to the Final Four in 2007 and was the No. 5 overall pick in the NBA draft that year.

Green's donation will go toward the John R. Thompson Jr. Intercollegiate Athletics Center, which is named after the former Hoyas Hall of Fame coach. It's a $62 million project that will be completely supported through philanthropy.

''I'm very fortunate to be in a position to give back to the university and to the program that has done so much for me,'' said Green, who earned his degree in English, with a minor in theology, from Georgetown in 2012.

Dude has some serious smarts too.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:39 am

didn't Green play with Hibbert at Georgetown?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:26 am

Whoa! English and theology. Definitely a thinking man's curriculum. He may miss shots here and there, but I bet he never misplaces an apostrophe.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:19 am

Jeff Green sounds like a well balanced, well rounded person.

Whether such a quality is always conducive to becoming a great NBA player is another question.  Many great players--at least when they are at the peak of their careers--are obsessed with basketball to the point where they are not much interested in anything else.

Larry Bird was certainly that way.  Some have speculated that David Robinson would have been greater if his personality wasn't so well rounded.

As one shrink commented, you often do not get a portrait of a healthy personality when you look at those successful in an ultra competitive activity.

Jeff Green completed his English and Theology degrees in 2012--five years into his NBA career.  Those who attain such degrees often pursue these  topics out of inherent interests rather than as a means to some other end.

Jeff Green probably did not earn his degrees with thoughts of enhancing his earning power or improving his game.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:43 pm

He's a good player, and a good person.

So what if he's not the best SF to walk the face of the Earth? Even at his level, he's still pretty damn good considering how many millions of people have probably played basketball at any level. Even the worst NBA players and D-Leaguers would destroy the typical person in a game of 21.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:28 pm

I'd bet that a team of D-Leaguers could give the NCAA champs a run for their money and given the latest court rulings
"money" in its literal sense.

But it sounds like after his playing days Jeff Green can hang out a shingle saying, "Misplaced modifiers modified; theological conundrums solved."

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down