Sloopjohnb
bobheckler
kdp59
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rondo did what? Empty Rondo did what?

Post by kdp59 Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 pm

is this just some so-called writer making stuff up?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rajon-rondo-wants-traded-not-150646597.html

key part:

Rajon Rondo has reportedly told the Boston Celtics that he will not re-sign with them next offseason, and would like to be traded. While this initially seems like good news for the Kings, who have been reportedly interested in the Celtics point guard, Rondo also indicated he would not re-sign with Sacramento if traded there.

boy....THAT would be big news.

the " source" (form the same website)

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/8/31/6089601/rajon-rondo-trade-request-celtics-rumors

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Rondo did what? Empty Re: Rondo did what?

Post by kdp59 Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:33 pm

sorry Cowens....... didn't see your post there.

here's the link with the "off the cuff" comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4goffcw1udI#t=0

seems more off-season "what do we have to talk about" stuff picked up as FACT , to me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:52 pm

The source of the original report is Jackie Mac.  That lends a fair amount of professionalism, reliability and credibility to it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:21 pm

I agree with Bob.  Jackie MacMullan is no internet hack.

She's not always right but you can usually assume that there's a basis for what she writes and says.

True, this is a low bar to meet but she's light years ahead of many others.

Last edited by Sloopjohnb on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:25 pm

well if it's TRUE ( the part about Rondo will NOT re-sign here), then Ainge has made a big mistake in not moving Rondo already.

it still sounds like "off the cuff" " I know the real truth" yapping to me, but I don't know who she is.

also did she actually SAY that Rondo will not re-sign here?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:41 pm

There are teams out there that want Rondo but have nothing to give back in return. I.E. New York Knicks.
If this is true, I have overestimated Rondo's importance to this club.  Is he hearing the footsteps from Marcus Smart before he even plays with him? 

His opinion of himself is liable too cause him one of the greatest jobs he could ever have, the point guard who saw the Boston Celtics thru a rebuild and came out on the other side, winning a title with two different lineups and leading them himself.  Ego can be a dangerous thing.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:51 pm

She says right off the bat, "I hope so, get it done" Really? She also goes on to say, "Don't believe me but that's the truth"

Doc doesn't like Rondo?  She says, "He doesn't like Rondo, remember that.  He's done with Rondo"  No, I do not remember that.  After all Doc and Rondo went through, is there any report where Doc didn't back Rondo?  Did Doc ever "throw him under the bus"?

It sounds like she has an issue with Rondo as a person.  She's fidgety and certainly has an attitude in her voice, like she is angry about something.  She sounds like she needs a time-out.

If this ends up being a load of crap, can we stop putting Jackie on a pedestal?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:04 pm

All I'm going to say is...this is SPECULATION.

I'm not giving this any bit of credence unless something actually happens.

Why come to any conclusion off of something like this?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:42 pm

I think this may have been known by Ainge way before the Love trade was completed. Maybe that is why we are over stocked at PG going into training camp. 

So Rondo wants to get traded........ok...........if Danny does not get great compensation.....Rondo plays out his contract with the Celtics................but what will Rondo do if in the off season Danny lands a couple of top players.....I mean top players...........along with an improving young core of players like Sully, Smart, Bradley, Young  etc...................................what, you do not think Rondo will not blink and not back peddle and say....wait a minute.....maybe I'll stay for a while.........of course he will.

I'll not be surprised either way.............but knowing Rondo............I think this is just that a rumor as KJ just posted.

Something else to consider..........if Jackie knew this and it was said off camera.................I would have to believe the rest of the league especially Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports would have known................what, he is left in the dark and did not know?????  The guy has posted every major rumor/trade pending for the past 5 years..........and he had nothing posted which I find hard to believe and makes this even more hard to believe this is true.

Perhaps Jackie had a bit too much clam chowder for lunch............you know it is always 5 o'clock somewhere!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:30 am

gyso wrote:She says right off the bat, "I hope so, get it done"  Really?  She also goes on to say, "Don't believe me but that's the truth"

Doc doesn't like Rondo?  She says, "He doesn't like Rondo, remember that.  He's done with Rondo"  No, I do not remember that.  After all Doc and Rondo went through, is there any report where Doc didn't back Rondo?  Did Doc ever "throw him under the bus"?

It sounds like she has an issue with Rondo as a person.  She's fidgety and certainly has an attitude in her voice, like she is angry about something.  She sounds like she needs a time-out.

If this ends up being a load of crap, can we stop putting Jackie on a pedestal?  

gyso

thank you, my point exactly, I know she wrote a great book on Bird and Magic, but I don't get why some hold her on such a high pedestal? shes a good writer, but do we need to hear this crap about will he stay or will he go? its narcissist even having to hear this over and over, there is just way too much media in general!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:57 am

Isola: Hey, Jackie. Now that Kevin Love is traded, you know who is next up. Your boy.

MacMullan: Oh, I hope so. Just get it done.

Isola: Now it’s going to be the fall of Rondo.

MacMullan: I know it. And it will happen because he’s told them he wants out. And no one believes me, but that’s the truth. And I don’t see how you get 80 cents on the dollar for him. Tell me where. Tell me where. The Knicks? People keep saying the Knicks. Yea? Well, who are they going to give you? The Kings want him and the Kings will give you, I think the Kings would give you Isaiah Thomas and, the big kid, McLemore.

J.A. Adande: Well, they lost Isaiah. The Kings. Isaiah’s down in Phoenix now.

MacMullan: That’s right. You’re right. God.

Isola: They do want him, though.

MacMullan: Yea, and they’ll give up McLemore. But the thing is, Rondo’s already told them, flat out, ‘I will never re-sign with you.’ That’s no good. Where do you go?

Isola: I wonder with Houston. Maybe something with Houston and the Brooklyn Nets. Maybe some kind of three-way.

MacMullan: Houston has interest in everybody, right? They always do. But the piece there, that was supposed to be Asik, he’s gone now.

Isola: And so is Jeremy Lin. There was talk of Jeremy Lin and Asik. What about a team like Dallas?

MacMullan: I don’t know. Does Dallas want him? Who do they give you back?

Isola:Isola: Well you know the coach of the Clippers, I mean they do have Chris Paul, but I don’t think he’d ever take him.

MacMullan: He doesn’t like Rondo. Remember that. I mean, he’s done with Rondo. They went a good long way together, but that guy, Rondo drives him nuts. And they have Chris Paul anyway. They don’t need him. You know, I thought maybe Phoenix would be interested in him because of Ryan McDonough, you know, and they’ve got Bledsoe so maybe that works. Maybe that works, I don’t know. But then, you know, the Celtics have the same problem. Unless they think Bledsoe is worth the max.

The above is someone else's work, I just saw it and thought it was close as a transcript.

Reading it is one thing, but when you listen to it, you get to hear the emotions behind the words.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 am

Bledsoe, why in hell would we want injury prone Bledsoe and for the max? why not just make up more gibberish that will never get done, for such an astute or supposedly astute professional, she sure sounds like she doesn't know what the fock she's talking about...she didn't even know Thomas had already been traded, shes got all this time and gets paid to know this stuff, we don't, shes losing more and more credibility with me every minute.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 am

They took the video down for some reason, curious to know why.

Here is another link:

http://deadspin.com/jackie-macmullan-strongly-believes-rajon-rondo-wants-ou-1629077591

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 am

well...I bet she's trying to do some repair work with her "inside" contacts now!!

look, IF what she said is true, its the LAST thing Ainge wanted out there.

now he won't get 50 cents on the dollar.

next up.......I predict Rondo will say how he wants to retire a Celtic....but no extension will be signed.

the drama continues.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 am

whoops..I was 8 hours late it seems!

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/08/rajon_rondo_agent_deny_trade_request

Sunday, August 31, 2014
Print Email 2 Comments

By:

Mark Murphy

Rajon Rondo and his agent, Bill Duffy, are both denying that the Celtics guard has asked for a trade despite multiple reports, including an initial report on ESPN.

A spokeswoman for Duffy’s agency said yesterday that both men have discussed the reports, and publically deny that any such request was made.

“Neither Bill nor Rajon know where this has come from, but it didn’t come from them,” Alyson Furch said in a text. “They want this on the record. Neither has spoken to anyone about this.”

The denial falls in line with comments by Rondo on several occasions this summer, when he professed a desire to remain with the Celtics. But the veteran guard has also been the frequent subject of trade talks throughout his career. When Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck said that fans could expect “fireworks” this summer, many took that as a reference, in particular, to Rondo.

He is going into the final year of his contract, and will make a relatively trade friendly $13 million next season. He is expected to seek maximum contract numbers in his next deal.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 am

I agree with Gyso; too bad this is in two threads, but I'll put in my two cents worth here:
I think Ainge would like to trade Rondo (and anyone else) if he can find a deal that would improve the C's two-three years from now.
I think Ainge has been quietly trying to move Rondo and many sportswriters know it; Jackie M. just happened to say it on camera. The fact Rondo is still in green tells me that no one has offered a sweet enough deal yet, not that Ainge isn't trying to move his star point guard.
Months from now as the season unfolds, if a contender's point guard is hurt, Rondo will be a hot commodity and I expect he will be gone.
From Ainge's perspective, trading Rondo makes good sense. For one thing, the C's without their best player will win fewer games, and fewer games translates into a better shot at higher draft picks next year.
We're now well-stocked with draft picks, but their value is tied to our upcoming record (as well as the Nets'). If we limp through another season, young players coalescing, improving, but still losing as the Captain is shipped out of town, this may be Ainge's ideal scenario.
I don't think Jackie M. revealed any secrets. When the C's drafted Smart, I felt Rondo was gone. We needed a good big man, and Vonleh was still available, but instead we chose a guard, who may be able to play point - the one position where we already have a star.
That star, Rondo, knows the score and when he thinks he's off camera, not being quoted, he may speak freely to a few people. Still, word gets around.
Is this all speculation? Sure, and if we win our first 10 games and look like we'll contend next season, all bets are off. But from what I've seen, we're unlikely to do that and moving Rondo for future assets will nearly guarantee more ping pong balls next June. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:51 am

Okay... I will admit that my first reaction was out of pure aggravation. Rondo has been the center of a lot of character assassination attempts for years simply because he isn't some media lapdog. They hate the fact that he's more the type to let the air out of a balloon than to inflate it.

Now that THAT'S out of the way...

I really don't want to bash Jackie MacMullan. I actually do have a degree of respect for her because she isn't like Tanguay and "Asshole" Blakely. But this kind of story doesn't exactly help her image. This story seems to stem a lot more from her own personal beliefs than any factual information. Various sports writers and anchors have been raging on for years about how Rondo will be traded. My best advice to Jackie would be to not become another Bill Simmons stirring the rumor pot.

Rondo saying to the Celtics that he doesn't want to re-sign with them doesn't sound truthful. Rondo was drafted by Boston and has won a title. He's invested a lot into the team and I think people forget that. Who really thinks it would be easy for him to just up and leave?

I fully agree with Gyso 100%. It seems more like a personal opinion fueled by some sort of animosity.

I agree with Cow, too. Bledsoe isn't even remotely worth a Rondo trade.

The thing about Ainge is that no one actually knows what he's going to do. Sure, people can speculate, prognosticate (and in some cases instigate) trade rumors. That why when it comes to stories like these, whether its Blakely, Stephen A, MacMullan, or Tanguay, I weigh all of their opinions the same. They DON'T know what's going to happen. I suspect people that make statements like this want to be the "Hey, I called that first and therefore I'm psychic" person.

KJ

Last edited by k_j_88 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:53 am

I don't think that it is earth shaking news that Ainge would trade Rondo to improve the team.

But if what MacMullan says is true, it will more difficult to get comparable value for him.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:59 am

kinda hard to make a deal work out now, after the draft and Free agency...but here is one that works salary wise and puts Rondo in the NY market.

Knicks end up with Rondo & Wallace (Bos)

Phoenix ends up with Bass , Thornton (Bos) and first round pick (NY), first round pick for Boston.

Celtics end up with Stoudamire, Hardaway (NY) and Bledsoe (Phoe)

Bledsoe has to sign a 4 year/ $60M deal to make it work.

NY gets Rondo, but has to take back Wallace's 2 years at $21M.

Phoenix gets 2 first round picks and take back two expiring contracts (at positions of need) for Bledsoe.

Boston gets Bledsoe and Hardaway, have to take back Stoudamires massive expiring deal.

Roster after this fantasy trade:

Zeller
Faverani (team option)
Stoudamire (expiring)
Sullinger
Olynyk
Anthony (expiring)
Green (player option)
Turner
Young
Bradley
Hardaway
Bledsoe
Smart
Pressey
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:37 am

kdp59 wrote:kinda hard to make a deal work out now, after the draft and Free agency...but here is one that works salary wise and puts Rondo in the NY market.

Phoenix ends up with Bass , Thornton (Bos) and first round pick (NY), first round pick for Boston.

Phoenix gets 2 first round picks and  take back two expiring contracts (at positions of need) for Bledsoe.

Boston gets Bledsoe and Hardaway, have to take back Stoudamires massive expiring deal.

Zeller
Faverani (team option)
Stoudamire (expiring)
Sullinger
Olynyk
Anthony (expiring)
Green (player option)
Turner
Young
Bradley
Hardaway
Bledsoe
Smart
Pressey

kdp,

How could Danny trade Rondo and get Stoudemire AND Bledsoe?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:38 am

kdp59 wrote:kinda hard to make a deal work out now, after the draft and Free agency...but here is one that works salary wise and puts Rondo in the NY market.

Phoenix gets 2 first round picks and  take back two expiring contracts (at positions of need) for Bledsoe.

Zeller
Faverani (team option)
Stoudamire (expiring)
Sullinger
Olynyk
Anthony (expiring)
Green (player option)
Turner
Young
Bradley
Hardaway
Bledsoe
Smart
Pressey

kdp,

I don't think Phoenix would make this trade.
They are looking to improve, not add draft picks.
They already have 3 1st round picks next summer plus a slew of young players.

Since NY traded their 2016 1st round pick for Bargnani, they can't trade a 1st round pick until 2018.

In general, Jackie seemed very confident in her statements about Rondo.
It wouldn't surprise me if she is right.
I think the damage has been done, if Boston wants to trade Rondo.
GM's will probably wonder if she knows something and that they are trying to trade Rondo because he no longer wants to be in Boston.
With the addition of Smart, I can see Rondo wanting to move on.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:55 am

tjmakz wrote:

kdp,

I don't think Phoenix would make this trade.
They are looking to improve, not add draft picks.
They already have 3 1st round picks next summer plus a slew of young players.

Since NY traded their 2016 1st round pick for Bargnani, they can't trade a 1st round pick until 2018.

In general, Jackie seemed very confident in her statements about Rondo.
It wouldn't surprise me if she is right.
I think the damage has been done, if Boston wants to trade Rondo.
GM's will probably wonder if she knows something and that they are trying to trade Rondo because he no longer wants to be in Boston.
With the addition of Smart, I can see Rondo wanting to move on.

I agree with your first point about Phoenix. But I have to disagree about attempting to judge whether Jackie is right or not.

Doesn't it strike anyone here as ridiculous to continually base opinions on what someone outside of the Celtics organization says about a subject no one except internal Celtics personnel even have any insight on?

As I've said before, Rondo trade rumors are quite common. How many of them have been true? None as of yet.

I do believe that Ainge would consider a trade for Rondo (but only for the right price). He won't move him just for the sake of moving him. I think he will first gauge where Rondo's mind is at and determine from there whether a trade is necessary or not. If Rondo wants to stay in Boston, then the ball is fully in Ainge's court. He has to decide whether he wants to retain Rondo going forward. In my personal opinion. I think Rondo wants to stay. But who's to say how this will all unfold?

But for all we know, the Celtics could give Rondo a nice deal to re-sign, bucking the opinions of "know-it-all" prognosticators.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:59 am

Ok, so Rondo and Duffy are throwing cold water on this.  That's nice, and I hope they're telling the truth.

It's still on the burner, not because of Jackie Mac but because Rondo is in the last year of his contract and he has said he will not sign an extension and wants to be courted this summer like Melo was.  

Rondo has been the subject of trade rumors ever since some sportswriter (Tanguay? Marshall?) started talking about how difficult he was and how he fought with Doc (talking about it years after that one incident took place and was resolved).  That has been unfair, but that's what sportswriting has become.  This year, however, Rondo must share some of the burden and blame for that for publicly stating what I said in the previous paragraph.  If you don't want a blazing fire, then don't throw gasoline on what everyone, especially Rondo, knows has been a smoldering ember for years.

Personally, without sifting through every roster with a fine tooth comb, I don't see many deals that Danny would take.  Rondo for an expiring contract?  He's already an expiring contract.  Rondo for Bledsoe?  Rondo averaged 12.6 points, 10.4asts, 5.9rebs and 1.6 stls /36mpg; and he was in his first half season back from knee surgery.  Bledsoe averaged 19.6 points, 6.0asts, 5.1rebs, 1.8 stls /36mpg.  So, if you look at all the points generated, both directly and indirectly, by these two players you get Rondo with 33.4 and Bledsoe with 31.6.  This doesn't include points generated by a 3pt assist.  Rondo's shooting has gotten better every year, except for last year's, will Bledsoe's?  Since shooting is what makes Bledsoe so valuable, doesn't that mean he's topped out?

I have NO idea how this is going to play out and one big reason for that is when I ask the question "who would we want for Rondo that we have a shot at?" I fall suddenly mute.  Everybody I want won't be available.  Why?  Because Rondo is a repeat All-Star.  Trading value for value, when you're giving up an All-Star, is tough.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Bob,

I thought I spelled it out as a three team trade.

However after writing it I realized that Thornton cannot be traded in a mutli-player deal right now. so that would have to be a separate deal somehow.

Stoudamire is nothing more an expiring contract to make the deal happen. Knicks take back Wallace and his two years left to get Rondo.

I assume Rondo tells Jackson he'll sign an extension.

Phoenix and Bledsoe are done, too much water under that bridge. He may play on the one year tender, but he'll move on afterwards. getting two first round picks for him would be OK for them I think.

They need Additional salary to get to Minimum right now, thus adding Bass and Thornton.

Hardaway and Bledsoe wouldn't be a bad return for the Clippers pick and a Rondo that won't re-sign. (this assumes that Bledsoe can be signed for $15M or less as part of the deal).

having Bradley, Bledsoe, Smart and Hardaway locked up for 3-4 years makes for good young backcourt rotation.

as you said Bob, one of Bledsoe's assets is his ability to score.

our two biggest needs after last season was a real center and go-to scorer.

Bledsoe as our #1 moves Green down to #2.......better for Greens mentality.

Wallace is gone......Turner has minutes.

Sullinger and Olynyk now are clear at PF minutes without Bass.

we bang Stoudamire inside as long as what's left of his Knees hold up, as BU to Zeller.

If not we play Fav and Anthony on that role for a year.

Stoudanire and Anthony gives us $27M in expiring contracts for Gasol or another big man in 2015.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:32 pm

I listed to to tape 3X times.  It makes no sense at all what Jackie said.  "

Get it done already..........Rondo wants out............you do not believe me but its true."   WHEN DID RONDO CHANGE HIS MIND JACKIE?

Just a short time ago say July 1st we were after Kevin Love and I am sure Rondo was still interested in leaving?...........ya right!

This sounded like it was a left over statement or frustration on the part of Jackie in hearing the same old drum beat for the last 3 years in the Rondo trade saga of .....Rondo is getting traded....no the deal is off....oh did you hear the latest rumor!

Rondo is also a smart guy and knows that the Celtics will have a tone of cap space available to build a contending team with next year along with some nice young talent,  and.......and get more money with the Celtics then if he went free agency.

He also knows that if he is to get max money or there about....he has to prove he is beyond his injury and is healthy to warrant a max deal. That is why staying with the Celtics makes sense.  One, he plays back into shape, two he sees what the Celtics can haul in with free agents in the summer, and three he can get more money by resigning with the Celtics. Last but not least...he hates change and moving around....(Per Rondo Statements From The Past). Rondo is a pretty rounded person who does not bum around the bar crowd.  He has a family with kids and is a home body type of guy.

So I ask, where is the motivation on the part of Rondo to want to leave?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next