POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history?

+2
Sloopjohnb
Sam
6 posters

Go down

What was the single greatest moment in Celtics history?

POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history? Vote_lcap20%POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history? Vote_lcap80%POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history? Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 5

POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history? Empty POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history?

Post by Sam Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:24 pm

This is a completely unbiased poll.  For related information, see 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu5vMfPtbw

(Prompted by a discussion on Wilt in another thread.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history? Empty Re: POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history?

Post by Sloopjohnb Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:38 pm

How about the day Walter Brown hired Red Auerbach?

That guy had something to do with 16 of the team's 17 banners.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history? Empty Re: POLL: What was the single greatest moment in Boston Celtics history?

Post by beat Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Sam

I don't consider an entire game as a "moment". There were several moments during that game that I recall as I am sure you do. So many things to recall like Russ saying to his mates..."We are not going to lose this game!"

That said.......picking one moment for me would be.....Havlicek Stole the Ball.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Sam,
It's not fair to people who didn't witness 60's and 70's
But I voted for "Other" -> 7 (or was it 8 ) minutes of standing ovation to Hondo before his last game. Every time I watch it on Youtube I have a lump in my throat - what an achievement, what an appreciation!

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Have to agree with Beat: "Havlicek stole the ball!"

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:52 pm

And right up there with Havlicek stole the ball I nominate

Auerbach steals Russell- 1956
Auerbach steals Cowens- 1970
Auerbach steals Bird-1979
Auerbach steals McHale and Parish-1980
Ainge steals Allen and Garnett- 2007

How many championships without them? Hey why worry. We got em.

Sloopjohnb- Pretty much the same as your thoughts.
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:49 am

In a history as long and glorious as that of the Celtics there have been so many great moments that many of them echo each other.

Just two examples:

"Havlicek Stole the Ball" has been made iconic by Johnny Most's swallowing his mic as he screamed out the phrase that all Celtic fans instantly recognize. Indeed it is hard to say whether the steal made Most famous or Most made the steal famous.  Be that as it may, "Havlicek Stole the Ball" is part of Celtic lore.

In the 1984 finals, the Lakers were about to take game two forcing Boston into a 0-2 hole going out to LA. With time running down Gerald Henderson flashed out of no where to pick off a lazy James Worthy pass drive and lay it in to put the game into OT.

Henderson afterwards said that all he could hear in his head was Johnny Most screaming "Henderson stole the ball! Henderson stole the ball!"

In 1981, our guys had clawed their way back from a 1-3 deficit to force a 7th game against Philly.  With bodies flying every where, Bird came out of the aerial scrum with the ball.  He dribbled down the left side of the court and banked in the eventual game winner.

I think it was Bob Ryan who said that in 1976 Havlicek banked in a buzzer beater from just about the same spot to put the game into OT number two in the triple OT PHX epic.

But the really weird thing was that afterwards Bird said he had NO IDEA why he banked the shot since he NEVER used the backboard from that angle.

Was Bird channelling Hondo who was in turn channelling Sam Jones, the greatest bankshooter ever and the guy Russell said in a game seven he'd take over any player he's ever seen?

Such things give birth to talk of the Boston Leprechaun.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for contributing a litany of great moments.  I wanted to do a poll on the greatest moment, but listing all the possibilities would have been very difficult.  And, besides, I thought the post could use a little humor.  So I depended on all of you to volunteer your thoughts, which you're doing beautifully.  So many super moments.

Beat, I have to differ on one point.  A "moment" is defined of the beholder.  And, in my 78th year, one two-hour game is definitely a moment in time.

If pressed to indicate the most thrilling single event within that game, it would probably have been when Sam fouled out after scoring (naturally) 24 points and the L.A. crowd gave him an extended standing ovation.  Or the locker room afterwards, with not a single bottle of champagne in sight but just a group of dedicated, smiling professionals going about business as usual.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down