+6
NYCelt
Outside
tjmakz
Sam
k_j_88
10 posters

Go down

REPORT: LAKERS TO TARGET RAJON RONDO IN FREE AGENCY Empty REPORT: LAKERS TO TARGET RAJON RONDO IN FREE AGENCY

Post by 112288 Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:09 pm

WEEI
By Ben Rohrbach

Rajon Rondo

Multiple NBA executives believe the Lakers will target Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo in free agency this  summer, according to SI.com’s Chris Mannix.

Rondo’s contract expires at the end of the season, and he has publicly stated his desire to test the market while maintaining Boston is his top choice. The four-time All-Star doesn’t like change, and the Celtics also can offer more money and one more year than any other team, all of which points toward Rondo staying in green.

However, the Celtics drafted a point guard with the No. 6 overall pick and are years from contending in the Eastern Conference, making the decision to sign Rondo to a max contract a difficult one, even if he appears healthy.

Enter the Lakers. The C’s rivals will have the cap space to offer Rondo significant money when Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin come off the books this summer, and the possibility of competing for a playoff spot next season alongside Kobe Bryant — an unabashed fan of the Celtics star — could be an intriguing possibility for Rondo come July, particularly if Mitch Kupchak lures other pieces to L.A.

However, Rondo can see the Lakers’ long-term prospects just as well as everybody else in basketball circles, and the outlook in Boston seems rosier. He knows what becomes of aging legends on proud franchises. After all, the article in which Mannix cites front office sources focuses instead on the potential of the Lakers trading Bryant.

Take a deep breath, Celtics fans. This isn’t Rondo’s first rumored departure from Boton, and it won’t be the last.

Back to top Go down

REPORT: LAKERS TO TARGET RAJON RONDO IN FREE AGENCY Empty Re: REPORT: LAKERS TO TARGET RAJON RONDO IN FREE AGENCY

Post by 112288 Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 pm

THIS IS NOW GETTING TO BE TOTAL HORSE SHXT....EVERY OTHER WEEK ANOTHER RUMOR!

NOW ITS THE LAKERS.........WHAT FXZKING BASE OF YOUNG PLAYERS DO THEY HAVE .....NOTHING......AND THEY THINK THEY CAN JUST WAVE THE MAGIC WAND AND RONDO WILL COME!

ENOUGH....LAST RUMOR I POST ON RONDO RUMORS UNTIL HE DOES GET TRADED OR SIGNS OFFICIALLY WITH ANOTHER TEAM!

Back to top Go down

REPORT: LAKERS TO TARGET RAJON RONDO IN FREE AGENCY Empty Re: REPORT: LAKERS TO TARGET RAJON RONDO IN FREE AGENCY

Post by k_j_88 Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Suppose we just assume the report is true, it sounds more like LA is just doing their due diligence. Nothing definitive other than that, however.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:18 am

It'll be interesting to see what effect the emergence of Marcus Smart has on the status of Rondo with the Celtics.  At first, I heard how he was destined to be the next floor general of the Celtics.  And he has made a number of nice passes such as the wraparound the other night.  But it seems as though his greatest strength may hover between the "2" and "3" positions rather than the "1" and "2" positions.

In other words, I wouldn't knock Marcus's potential at the "1;" but I think his potential may be higher as a 2/3 (and only an occasional "1") swing man in the mold of Havlicek.  If that's the case, and if the Celtics think there's a reasonable chance they'll lose Rondo in free agency, they'll virtually have to trade him mid-season and will have to attract a bona fide floor general in either that trade or another transaction.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:15 am

I think there is a very good chance the Lakers would offer Rondo a 4 year max salary contract next summer.
I am not sure if Boston wants to offer Rondo 4 or 5 years at max money. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.
I def could see a compromise with Boston where Rondo signs a 1 year max contract with Boston, then waits to see what happens with the new salary cap in the summer of 2016.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:28 am

TJ

I agree that a 1 year deal with a new cap coming up, but with knee surgery I do not think he would chance not getting a long term deal and the security.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:36 am

The Lakers will be targeting anybody and everybody. They were targeting big-name free agents this past summer, too.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Outside wrote:The Lakers will be targeting anybody and everybody. They were targeting big-name free agents this past summer, too.

I think that's an accurate observation. Just business as usual, I'd be more surprised if they didn't target Rondo.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:42 pm

It would be wise to lock up Rondo to a full maxed out contract this summer. The money will seem to be a bargain in a couple years after the new TV contract plays out and the new CBA is passed.

Rondo doesn't necessarily remain a Celtic the whole contract. If there isn't a no-trade clause built into it, his (relative) value per dollar under the new CBA could make him a good asset in a trade for a better player somewhere down the line.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:56 pm

The Lakers naming Rondo as a potential target next summer is so low rent, low class.  Sure you know Rondo is going to be a free agent, but you intentionally name names in November of another teams' star player.......that is so bush league....................what to stir the pot!

Ya Rondo is going to LA to play with a broken down Koby who is being paid $25M and taking major cap room and who will be all but done next season if he stays healthy this year which I doubt!

Bogus Bull Shxt!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:01 pm

sam wrote:It'll be interesting to see what effect the emergence of Marcus Smart has on the status of Rondo with the Celtics.  At first, I heard how he was destined to be the next floor general of the Celtics.  And he has made a number of nice passes such as the wraparound the other night.  But it seems as though his greatest strength may hover between the "2" and "3" positions rather than the "1" and "2" positions.

In other words, I wouldn't knock Marcus's potential at the "1;" but I think his potential may be higher as a 2/3 (and only an occasional "1") swing man in the mold of Havlicek.  If that's the case, and if the Celtics think there's a reasonable chance they'll lose Rondo in free agency, they'll virtually have to trade him mid-season and will have to attract a bona fide floor general in either that trade or another transaction.

Sam

Sam,

I agree that Smart looks best as a 2; as a matter of fact I've been droning on about him being a 2 since draft day.  The combo of Rondo at 1 and Smart at 2 sure looked good again last night, and I think makes for a potential "top 5" backcourt.  

I suppose the fly in the ointment is that the best way to build a serious playoff team is by adding a solid center and trading Rondo could bring us the best shot there.  If Smart is as capable at the 1 as he looks, and we had our fantasy center, we've got something to go with.  Too many variables at this point, however, to speculate.  If Rondo doesn't want to sign, other clubs probably won't be interested in trading for a rental.  Centers are so scarce that a team looking at Rondo as help to push them over the hump likely wouldn't desire or be in a position to trade us the player we want in return either.

I think the most realistic scenario for us is shaping up to be committing the big dollars it takes to retain Rondo, combining him with Smart to build a top quality backcourt and looking for a center in the draft.

Since it's total wild speculation at this point anyway, I think our next most valuable trading pieces might include Bradley and a few draft picks, maybe throw in Kelly, although I don't think there's any real demand for him.  I would think that would be about all we could offer to try and get better draft position if we need to do that.

Where do we start the draft Jahlil Okafor thread?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 pm

112288 wrote:The Lakers naming Rondo as a potential target next summer is so low rent, low class.  Sure you know Rondo is going to be a free agent, but you intentionally name names in November of another teams' star player.......that is so bush league....................what to stir the pot!
I know it doesn't take much to stir outrage about the Lakers, but I don't see how a report that some unnamed NBA executives "believe" the Lakers will target Rondo in free agency equates to the Lakers "naming" Rondo as a target.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:18 pm

112288 wrote:The Lakers naming Rondo as a potential target next summer is so low rent, low class.  Sure you know Rondo is going to be a free agent, but you intentionally name names in November of another teams' star player.......that is so bush league....................what to stir the pot!

Ya Rondo is going to LA to play with a broken down Koby who is being paid $25M and taking major cap room and who will be all but done next season if he stays healthy this year which I doubt!

Bogus Bull Shxt!

Why are you saying the Lakers have named Rondo as a potential target?
That's not what this story is about.
It was about other GM's feeling the Lakers would make a run at Rondo.

If Rondo played with Kobe, it would be for one year and then the Lakers would be his team.

I'm not saying it will happen.
I'm just saying that it makes a lot of sense for the Lakers (and other teams) to offer Rondo a max contract.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Of course, the Lakers would be interested in Rondo. I am sure that with what they currently have on their roster (and their record) that they will be 'interested' in many, many other good players.

As long as the Celtics and Rondo are not talking about a Rondo trade, I would rather worry about what makes this team 1-3 so far.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:12 pm

tjmakz wrote:

Bogus Bull Shxt!

If Rondo played with Kobe, it would be for one year and then the Lakers would be his team.

I'm just saying that it makes a lot of sense for the Lakers (and other teams) to offer Rondo a max contract.

TJ,  

Would these be the same GMs who had Kevin Love going to the Lakers?  Sounds like the NY writers who had Rondo going to the Knicks for a bag o' donuts because writing about the Knicks last year was depressing so they spiced it up by including a face lift.  Writing about the Lakers without mentioning landing a big name next year is depressing so they create this anonymous whisper campaign.

Sleepless in Saigon

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:18 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Bogus Bull Shxt!

TJ,  

Would these be the same GMs who had Kevin Love going to the Lakers?  Sounds like the NY writers who had Rondo going to the Knicks for a bag o' donuts because writing about the Knicks last year was depressing so they spiced it up by including a face lift.  Writing about the Lakers without mentioning landing a big name next year is depressing so they create this anonymous whisper campaign.

Sleepless in Saigon

Love to LA rumors occurred for many reasons.
Kevin grew up in the LA area.
He was a Lakers fan as a kid.
He has a house there.
His girlfriend is an actress there.

GM comments and writers like Lee Lauderdale who write stories just to write stories is not the same thing.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:40 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Bogus Bull Shxt!

TJ,  

Sleepless in Saigon

Love to LA rumors occurred for many reasons.
Kevin grew up in the LA area.
He was a Lakers fan as a kid.
He has a house there.
His girlfriend is an actress there.

GM comments and writers like Lee Lauderdale who write stories just to write stories is not the same thing.

TJ,

Paul Pierce grew  up  in Inglewood.
Paul Pierce was a Laker fan as a kid
Houses are bought and sold, just ask Ray Allen.
I have no idea how strong and stable Kevin Love's relationship is with his girlfriend he probably didn'the see much because he lived in Manny and she lives in LA.

All circumstantial issues used as a justification to make an unfounded suggestion.

Melo wanted to go to LA supposedly because his wife is an actress too and he loves Kobe and all the rest of the baloney that was just LA sportswriters trying to pump up the future.

Lee Lauderdale is a blogger and not an accredited journalist with access to the team, players or management.  I am unaware of any column of his in which he cited anonymous but well-placed sources as the backbone of his column.  He writes, or he doesn't, but he's not on a payroll and fighting deadlines like others.  Perhaps you meant to refer to ESPN reporter Chris Forster or CSNNE reporter Sherrod Blakely, both of whom I've panned for writing stuff just put something in print, and not a blogger I've been talking up all summer? Or do you have a column of his in mind?

Writing about the Lakers IS depressing and, with a 1-3 start, writing about the Celtics isn't much better but you don't see even the two beat writers above selling vapor like the NY and LA media circuses.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:09 am

Bob,

You are really over-thinking this Rondo story.
It wasn't the Lakers or Los Angeles reporters who made these comments about the Lakers targeting Rondo next summer.

You are going to have to get used to plenty of Rondo rumors until he signs a long term contract with Boston or another team.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:00 pm

I don't understand something. The OP article was written by Ben Rohrbach from WEEI. How does Lee Lauderdale enter into the thread?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:52 pm

gyso wrote:I don't understand something.  The OP article was written by Ben Rohrbach from WEEI.  How does Lee Lauderdale enter into the thread?

Gyso,

Bingo.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Ho Hum. I think the Celtics are trading Rondo, green, sully and Kelly
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down