Article on Gerald Wallace

3 posters

Go down

Article on Gerald Wallace Empty Article on Gerald Wallace

Post by Outside Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Nice article on Gerald Wallace by Chris Forsberg. I don't like a lot of Forsberg writes, but this was an enjoyable read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4715573/wallace-is-there-when-cs-need-him

A couple of highlights:

Gerald Wallace's first concern was Marcus Smart. Wallace is no stranger to ankle injuries and when he saw the rookie step awkwardly on the foot of Indiana’s Lavoy Allen early in the fourth quarter and crumple to the ground, he knew it didn’t look good.

And Wallace knew what was coming next. When play resumed following a lengthy delay after team doctors tended to Smart and took him out via stretcher, the Pacers elected to put Wallace at the free-throw line in a tied game.

"That means I’m the worst free-throw shooter on the team," deadpanned Wallace. "That’s not a good thing."

A career 71-percent free-throw shooter who finished at a head-shaking 46.5 percent last season, Wallace, with a measly three minutes of game time to his name this season, shed his warm-ups and calmly made both freebies.

So it was fitting that it was Wallace, back on the floor in the final moments, who snatched away an inbounds pass that sealed Boston’s 101-98 triumph at TD Garden.

"That’s not my first time ever doing that, so the free throws weren’t the biggest part," explained Wallace. "I was just very cold going into the game -- late in the fourth quarter, that was my biggest issue. That’s not my first time being called when somebody’s hurt to shoot free throws, I did it a couple times in Sacramento. I was kind of expecting that; I was more worried about Marcus."

I especially liked this part:

Inside the Celtics’ locker room, thrust in front of a pack of reporters for the first time in a while, the 32-year-old Wallace, a 14-year veteran and former All-Star, downplayed the fuss about the difficulties adjusting to being a role player at this stage of his career.

"It ain’t really that hard," Wallace said, then joked, "If the guys would leave me alone on the bench, I’ll be alright. Other than that, it’s pretty good. It’s just tough seeing the guys have rough stretches, you want to be out there and play, you want to be out there and help the guys. My main thing is I try to keep myself level-headed and calm, and try to talk to those guys, try to help those guys through those tough times during the game."

But wouldn’t most players complain?

"What am I complaining about? Why would I?" he said. "I have one of the greatest jobs in the world. I’m playing one of the greatest sports in the world. I’m in one of the greatest cities in the world. I have great teammates, who make me comfortable and make me want to come to work every day. And I’m getting to do what I love to do, so I don’t have any complaints."
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Article on Gerald Wallace Empty Re: Article on Gerald Wallace

Post by wide clyde Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:45 pm

This approach being taken by a grizzled veteran player may go a long way to building the "team" mentality that the Celtics will need this year to achieve more than just the 25 wins that have been predicted by so many pundits.

It seems unusual for any of today's professional athletes to not come off as very negative when playing time issues do not go their way even though they are almost all handsomely paid.

Hats off to Wallace. His actions certainly make you almost forget his $10 M salary cap hit.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Spoken like my impression of being a Celtic is all about.  All I care about is his contributions to the team.  Money is Danny's business.  And Gerald's contributions go way beyond the very good things he's still capable of doing on the floor.  Ask Marcus Smart.  And ask his teammates how valuable a guy is who can come in and perform for infrequent, short stretches and—on one of those occasions—arguably save a game against the Bulls.

The guy's a pro!  Period!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down