Rondo On Celtics' Identity: "I Like The Way We're Going"

4 posters

Go down

Rondo On Celtics' Identity:  "I Like The Way We're Going" Empty Rondo On Celtics' Identity: "I Like The Way We're Going"

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:13 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/11/rajon_rondo_on_boston_celtics.html

Rajon Rondo on Boston Celtics' identity: 'I like the way we're going'

Rondo On Celtics' Identity:  "I Like The Way We're Going" 16328110-mmmain
Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo dribbles on his knees after recovering the ball in the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Oklahoma City Thunder in Boston, Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2014. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Print Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com
on November 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM, updated November 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – As you might have heard, Rajon Rondo can test free agency after the season. He's not promised to stay with the Boston Celtics, but for now, at least, he continues to say all good things about his employer.

Asked Thursday about the Celtics’ identity, the four-time All-Star replied: “We’ve got to go with the flow. We don’t make the front office changes. Me personally, I do like our identity."

"We’re a unique team," Rondo said. "Our bigs are our shooters on the team for the most part. We saw (against the 76ers) how we closed the game out; (Jared Sullinger) hit some big shots for us. So we put teams in different positions. The 5s aren’t used to closing out to the 3-point line. And you have to close all the way out to a guy like Sullinger or Kelly (Olynyk). I like the way we’re going. I’m a pass-first point guard, I like to get to the paint and make plays for my teammates. And we definitely have the shooters around me to make shots.”

In some ways, the Celtics fit Rondo like never before. Obviously they could use a go-to scorer, but for the first time in Rondo’s career, he’s in charge of a fast-paced offense to take advantage of his unique skills. As he mentioned, Boston's perimeter-oriented big men free him to probe the interior.

Within Howard Beck’s great piece on Rondo, published at Bleacher Report earlier this week, Danny Ainge provided this revealing quote: “Now, we know that (Boston) is where (Rondo) wants to stay, assuming that we are a competitive team. We believe that. It's a place he would like to stay.”

Rondo has repeatedly indicated he loves Boston. While he would presumably like another star around him, preferably as soon as possible, the impending free agent also seems to like the team's direction.

“People still say it’s a rebuilding year for us, but we don’t really look at it like that," Rondo said. "The East isn’t as strong – again. A lot of teams are 4-6, or whatever their record is, it’s pretty ugly. But we have a chance, we put three or four games together, we’ll probably be like No. 2 in the East. It’s just a matter of time. We’ve had a pretty unique schedule. I wouldn’t say it’s tough, I think a lot of games we could have won. But those games are in the past and we’ll continue to get better.”

One reporter wanted to know if the Celtics can learn from their Friday night opponent, the Memphis Grizzlies.

"No, we're not trying to be Memphis," Rondo said. "We're trying to be ourselves. Their style of play is different from us. I think our offense is designed to beat teams like Memphis. So I look forward to a great matchup."

"Personnel is different," he continued. "(Zach) Randolph is who he is. He's a 20 and 10 guy his whole career. We don't have a Zach Randolph on our team. We have Kelly Olynyks, we have Jared Sullingers. We're not trying to be those guys. But if we could take a few pages from those guys as far as the physicality, how they go about it and attack the glass, we could take a little bit from that."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rondo On Celtics' Identity:  "I Like The Way We're Going" Empty Re: Rondo On Celtics' Identity: "I Like The Way We're Going"

Post by k_j_88 Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:21 pm

I always enjoy hearing Rondo's insight on things. He's almost always making astute observations.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Rondo On Celtics' Identity:  "I Like The Way We're Going" Empty Re: Rondo On Celtics' Identity: "I Like The Way We're Going"

Post by Outside Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Rondo is a likeable and interesting guy. I wish I liked his play this year as much as I do him, but it's still early.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 pm

We should never lose sight of how smart Rondo is.  Smart enough to say the right thing in all circumstances.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down