mrkleen09
9 posters

Go down

Celtics, Mavs talk Rajon Rondo swap Empty Celtics, Mavs talk Rajon Rondo swap

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:46 am

ESPNBOSTON

By Marc Stein | ESPN.com

Rondo To Mavs?

ESPN's Brad Daugherty breaks down the Mavericks and Celtics discussing a trade for Rajon Rondo.

The Boston Celtics, after years of flirting with potential Rajon Rondo deals, are in substantive discussions on a trade that would send Rondo to the Dallas Mavericks, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Celtics and Mavericks have been discussing a swap that would furnish Boston with multiple draft picks -- including at least one future first-rounder -- as well as blossoming Mavericks center Brandan Wright and other players needed to make the salary-cap math work.

Sources say the Celtics also have been talking to teams such as the Sacramento Kings, New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets about potential Rondo deals, but that the most advanced discussions have been with Dallas.

The Celtics are discussing a trade that would send Rajon Rondo to the Mavericks for draft picks, Brandan Wright and other players.

Because Rondo is in the final year of his current contract, sources say any team that can come to terms on a trade with Boston likely will request permission to confer with Rondo and his representatives to get Rondo's input on the destination, giving them a level of influence into where he might be dealt.

Rondo shrugged off the latest trade talk Wednesday night after Boston's 109-92 win over the Orlando Magic.

"[Trade talk has been] a way of life since I've been here," he said. "It's just part of it."

Rondo, while maintaining that his preference is to continue his career in Boston, has left little doubt in recent months that he intends to test the market as a free agent in July as opposed to signing an extension with the Celtics. However, sources say that Dallas, amid growing concern about its point guard play and sensing the opportunity to acquire a top-flight player it has coveted for some time, is confident it could win over Rondo for the long term if trade terms can be finalized with the Celtics.

If a trade comes to fruition, Rondo would join Dirk Nowitzki, Monta Ellis, Tyson Chandler and Chandler Parsons in a high-octane starting five.

The risk for Dallas, of course, is that Rondo could leave town in free agency in the summer if he is determined to move on or can't come to terms on a new deal with the Mavericks. That scenario could burn the veteran-laden Mavs, given the multiple quality assets they would have to sacrifice to get him.

It remains to be seen whether Celtics general manager Danny Ainge will continue to try to shop for offers or jump on the assets Dallas is offering in exchange for the mercurial point guard, knowing that he could leave Boston in the summer without the Celtics receiving any compensation.

Although the Celtics have been insisting since the season began that they aren't actively looking to move Rondo, Dallas and Houston are among the teams that have been chasing him for some time. It's believed that the Mavericks are pressing the issue earlier than expected in the season to give Rondo more time to settle in.

The Mavericks began the season with the challenge of integrating two new major pieces in Parsons and the returning Chandler, but concerns have developed through the first quarter of the season about the lack of a top-flight floor leader and shot creator to set up the many weapons at the disposal of coach Rick Carlisle.

Back to top Go down

Celtics, Mavs talk Rajon Rondo swap Empty Re: Celtics, Mavs talk Rajon Rondo swap

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:52 am

Brandan Wright ......ARE YOU KIDDING.... KEEP RONDO

Best Case Scenario

Wright was brought to Dallas in an effort to replace Tyson Chandler following the 2011 championship and has played most of his minutes on the Mavericks at center. But with Chandler back in town and Wright shifted to power forward, it will be interesting to see what the two can do on the court together. If Carlisle plays the two simultaneously, it should represent a major defensive upgrade over last year. Wright has been picked on in years past for his lack of defensive skills, but he's not that bad a defender. He stays out of foul trouble, and though he's several inches shorter than Dirk (who he'll be backing up at the 4), he has a ridiculous 7'5" wingspan that helps him block shots and guard more mobile defenders. He's never really been able to bulk up, so getting him out of the low post on defense may help considerably.

There's probably not a lot more you can reasonably ask of Wright offensively, but hopefully Carlisle can also find a way to use him in rotations that include newcomers (and defensive stalwarts) Chandler and Farouq Al-Aminu to help improve team defense.

Worst Case Scenario

For all his talent, Brandan Wright has never played 82 games in a season. He managed 74 during his three-team season in 2010-11, but still played fewer than 800 minutes total. Although some of his absences have been due to coaching decisions, the most plausible worst case for a player as skilled as Wright is another injury to the shoulder that's bothered him in the past.

Last edited by 112288 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Celtics, Mavs talk Rajon Rondo swap Empty Re: Celtics, Mavs talk Rajon Rondo swap

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 am

Would be a great trade for the Mavs....for the Celtics, not so much.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:06 am

when I look at the teams that have been "rumored" to be interested in Rondo the past day or two( Dallas, Houston, Knicks and Sacramento), I still like the Kings options best in return.

when I look at their current roster and add in that Ainge seems to want to move Green also, I could see a deal of:

Rondo and Green
for
Gay , Stauskas and a first round pick

it does work salary wise.

in essence we get Gay for Green (same age and Gay is already signed for 3 more years at about $13M per).

we get Stauskas and a first for Rondo and his expiring contract.

doesn't help us as far as a center, but then again neither does Wright from Dallas (or any of the other teams above).

it would get Ainge yet ONE MORE draft pick and Stauskas ( a first rounder this year on his rookie deal) for Rondo. Again this only makes sense IF Ainge feels Rondo will leave after the season.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:13 am

Yeah, but who wants to go to Sacramento?! That's a slow train ride to the grave. Rondo will nix that one. Boston wouldn't do that to Rondo.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:22 am

Rondo does not have a no trade clause...yet.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:40 am

Brandon Wright was with the Warriors for a while and everybody fell in love with his athleticism but he lacks consistency. Sound familiar?

I want a center. A rim protector, baseline defender, an intimidator, call him what you want. Any deal that is more than one degree of separation from that is just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Brandon Wright for Rondo? Huh? We've got Green, Wallace and Young and there's even talk about Brandon Wright?

One more draft pick? Why? Is Danny feeling insecure because he's down to, what, only 7 over the next 4 years?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:57 am

Wright hasn't looked like the type of player you trade a top tier point guard for.  I'm not sure what the draft picks would look like, but it doesn't seem like we walk away with much at all.

With the possibility of Rondo walking at the end of the season, something doesn't make sense from Dallas' end either.  That would make Rondo a potentially expensive rental.

It's starting to sound as if, despite what's being said, neither the team nor Rondo expect he'll re-sign.

ESPN also reported that we're in serious talks to deal Jeff Green.

Where there's smoke, there's fire time?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:09 am

Trading Rondo is going to be more complicated then what is being presented above.  Regardless of who wants Rondo, it's going to have to include a 3rd team to get a deal done.  I am sure also that Wallace will be involved as well.

The talent offered above by Dallas is second rate and I would rather keep Rondo for the rest of the season.  What a center who cannot stay on the floor for the last 4 years due to injury.....come on!    

Besides, keeping Rondo gives the Celtics a leg up in signing him as he gets an extra year at max money with the Celtics.  If traded, there is no incentive for Rondo to resign with the Celtics (a-la Jon Lester - Red Sox)

Another reason not to trade to a TOP TEAM............Getting a top contending team's 1st round draft pick is as good as getting a second rounder because you are so low on talent at that point, and besides, with the 1st rounder you are stuck signing unless traded.  Otherwise he is stuck sitting on the end of the bench.

I think looking at a young talented marginal playoff team who needs a floor general is the place to look in trading Rondo. However this presents a problem because the trading team may want Rondo to agree to resign with them verses a rental for 5 months.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 am

CBS SPORTS IS REPORTING TODAY THAT A SOURCE HAS CONFIRMED THAT RONDO WOULD BE OPEN TO A TRADE TO EITHER HOUSTON OR DALLAS BECAUSE OF THE CHANCE OF WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH THOSE 2 TEAMS.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:49 am

But it was all a lie...everything...the source promised me a deal...so they said a source said this and a source said that..and i said.... yeah, sure..

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:03 am

dboss wrote:But it was all a lie...everything...the source promised me a deal...so they said a source said this and a source said that..and i said.... yeah, sure..

dboss

dboss,

I knew you were behind this!

(Is that a movie quote? Sounds familiar; Godfather? Usual suspects?)

Regards

Last edited by NYCelt on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:19 am

HEY FRANKIE FIVE ANGLES.........YOU GOT NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!

THANKS TOM

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:22 am

That's it! Frank Pantangeli, from The Godfather.  Thanks 112288.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:54 am

yep...
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:20 pm

The Catch-22 in trading Rondo for a package heavily dependent on draft picks is that any team getting Rondo would be highly likely to ascend in the queue so that their draft picks would be pretty low.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Oh, more draft picks? Awesome. Nothing says uncertainty like "potential" unproven prospects.

There's already enough draft picks. Get a damn good player if you're gonna make this trade.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:51 pm

but it looks like no one will give up a GOOD player for Rondo.

maybe because of it being a half year rental possibly,

or

maybe because Rondo isn't as good as some of his fans think he is , at least amongst real NBA GM's.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:57 pm

kdp59 wrote:but it looks like no one will give up a GOOD player for Rondo.

maybe because of it being a half year rental possibly,

or

maybe because Rondo isn't as good as some of his fans think he is , at least amongst real NBA GM's.

If a trade is not made for a player that strengthens the Celtics, then it's not a good move.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:06 pm

sam wrote:The Catch-22 in trading Rondo for a package heavily dependent on draft picks is that any team getting Rondo would be highly likely to ascend in the queue so that their draft picks would be pretty low.

Sam

Sam

I agree.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:23 pm

IMO  if Ainge has decided to part ways with Rondo, it seems most likely to be the result of not wanting to give him a max contact at the end of the year.  However even if we were to lose him at the end of the year, a sign and trade may be possible since Boston can offer him more than some other team.

Ainge said he wants stars (meaning he does not have enough of them)  Not sure how trading Rondo moves the Celtics in the right direction.   Ainge is still uncertain about Smart's ability to be the primary PG on the team and given the possibility that jeff opts out of his contract, Bass goes to free agency as does Thornton, the rebuild is starting to resemble the "Big Dig"

But there is nothing that would indicate a move is eminent.

There are so many unanswered questions regarding this roster so i would be reluctant to make any big time move right now unless it brings that coveted defensive big while retaining the core of the team.

if Rondo is worth whatever money he will demand, his play this year will set his market value to some degree.  Teams that are already loaded with talent and just need that one special piece to run the show may not even have the money to sign him.  And I doubt that he would sign with an average team unless the upside is apparent and projected to reach contender status pretty quickly.

I know I am rambling on here.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:00 pm

This is how I see it as to cause what is occurring now.

I think Ainge wanted to sign Rondo to a deal and get it done and over with, perhaps not at the max per year, but certainly equal money but a 5th year included.......rationalizing that your point guard is probably your second or third most important position on a given team therefore the amount offered should be below a center position might fetch if you were signing a super star.

I think Rondo balked at signing now and told Ainge he wanted to see his number in free agency and that they would talk then.  Perhaps Rondo even told Ainge that he wanted to see how the Celtic rebuilding process was going as well.

Given the uncertainty of the situation and potentially losing everything if Rondo did not sign in the summer, I think he told Rondo his intentions of trading him come Dec, Jan or Feb.  I think Rondo respects the situation and Danny for having to do this...................if of course Rondo was offered a contract but declined the offer.

IF NOT......I AM SURE RONDO IS PISSED ......and could forever doom any chance of signing him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down