Practice: Smart's starts in focus

Go down

Practice: Smart's starts in focus Empty Practice: Smart's starts in focus

Post by 112288 Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:35 pm

ESPNBOSTON

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens pinned the blame on himself when rookie point guard Marcus Smart struggled at the onset of Saturday's loss to the Washington Wizards. But Smart said Monday that it's on the player to fight through any on-court adversity.

"Coach, he’s done everything; I’m the one out there playing," said Smart. "I have to better prepare myself. He can only give me the tools, it’s up to me to use them and better myself on the court."

The Celtics' offense has been sluggish since the departure of Rajon Rondo, particularly as the team has thrust Smart, the No. 6 pick in June's draft, into the role as starting point guard. Over the last four games -- including three starts for Smart -- the Celtics own an offensive rating of 86.6 points per 100 possessions with Smart on the court (well below the team's already anemic mark of 95.5 overall during that four-game stretch) and the team's turnover ratio has spiked during his floor time.

Smart got pulled early in the first quarter Saturday after committing three turnovers and being unable to slow down Washington's John Wall as he directed the Wizards' fast start. After the game, Stevens suggested it was his responsibility to have Smart ready to play each night, particularly against a star the caliber of Wall.

Asked why Stevens might have said that, Smart answered, "Because he’s a good coach. He cares about his players. So when his team is going bad, he feels like it’s his fault."

Smart says it's on him to give the team energy at both ends of the floor, even while he learns to be a playmaker at the NBA level. And while Stevens is protecting his 20-year-old rookie, he is also pushing him to not use youth as an excuse.

"You understand that there’s going to be a transition. It doesn’t mean that you should accept that there’s going to be a transition, if you are him or us," said Stevens. "And I think that’s the thing that we have to keep pushing him on. 'OK, what can you do now that you can help you lead a team to winning? What can you get better at that can make you even better to help lead them more to winning?'"

Smart is hopeful that two days of practice with the first unit might help that unit develop some much-needed consistency. Stevens and Smart worked together during Boston's offday Sunday in hopes of increasing his comfort level as the team's floor general.

More than anything, Stevens wants Smart to be prepared for the challenge that awaits him each night.

"[Younger players] just have to understand how hard it is every night," said Stevens. "It’s going to be really hard every night, and it doesn’t matter who you are playing against, it doesn’t matter what you did the last time you were in the gym. There aren’t any games where you can be less than your best for [Smart] right now."

Some notes from pre-practice access with the Celtics on Monday:

• Sullinger sits out: Jared Sullinger sat out practice after spraining his right ankle during Saturday's loss in Washington. Said Stevens: " I don't think it’s a long, long-term injury, but I don’t know what that means this week." Sullinger joined teammates on the court before the session and didn't have any obvious wraps on his ankle and was dressed in practice gear. He downplayed the severity of the injury after Saturday's game.

• Thornton ramps up: Marcus Thornton, sidelined for two weeks with a left calf sprain, got up some shots and participated in some conditioning drills with the team before practice. Said Stevens: "Thornton wants to practice; I’m not sure he’s done any running yet, so I don’t know if he will officially practice or not, but he’s getting close." Thornton has missed seven games due to the injury.

• Young ready for more: James Young was back with the Celtics Monday after scoring 15 points for the Maine Red Claws in a D-League appearance on Sunday. Young admitted he was a bit winded after sitting out the past two weeks with a right shoulder subluxation, but deemed himself near 100 percent healthy. On an overcrowded roster in which he's an easy candidate to remain on the inactive list, the rookie must prove in practice that he's worthy of game consideration.

Back to top Go down