Just How Bad Did Rondo Want Out?

5 posters

Go down

Just How Bad Did Rondo Want Out? Empty Just How Bad Did Rondo Want Out?

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:51 pm

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2014/12/30/irish-coffee-just-how-bad-did-rajon-rondo-want-out/

IRISH COFFEE: JUST HOW BAD DID RAJON RONDO WANT OUT?
12.30.14 at 12:23 pm ET
By Ben Rohrbach

Despite his league-leading assists average, former Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo wasn’t the player over the past season we came to know during three trips to the Eastern Conference finals from 2008-12. That much is certain.

Rondo’s true shooting dipped to an alarmingly low level in 2014-15 (career-worst 42.2 percent), and his performance on the other end was no longer all-defensive worthy. As a result, the Celtics proved better both offensively and defensively without him on the court, per Basketball Reference.

While Rondo’s decline at the age of 28 appeared a result of a player once reliant on slicing and scrapping his way into the restricted area still struggling to recover both physical and mentally from a serious knee injury, there have been rumblings in the fortnight since his trade that the regression might have been the result of another factor entirely: Effort.

“He’s always up to stuff when he’s locked in, and I think that’s the guy that Dallas is getting,” Grantland editor-in-chief Bill Simmons told writer Zach Lowe during their podcast last week. “In Boston, he would just give up the ball and just stand there, and I do think they had to trade him. It was too bad that was the way it worked out, not just from what we were seeing from the games, but from what I was hearing. In practice, when you have your guy who’s the unquestioned best guy on the team and the quote unquote ‘leader’ of the team, and he’s just not going hard in practice at all, that puts a coach who is trying to get through to young players in a really bad spot. And I think they knew they had to trade him.”

That’s new information, and while some hearsay can be discarded as the customary smear campaigning from Boston teams in the wake of major trades, Simmons’ sources aren’t the only ones dropping hints.

“He wanted out,” Rondo’s former Celtics teammate and current Thunder center Kendrick Perkins told Yahoo Sports in the immediate aftermath of his trade to the Mavericks in exchange for Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson and a protected first-round pick, “but he would never say that though.”

While Rondo publicly maintained his desire to remain in Boston, where he won a title alongside Perkins as an NBA sophomore in 2008, there are those who question whether the erstwhile Celtics captain was as committed to the team behind the scenes. Count Mavericks owner Mark Cuban among them.

As brought to our attention by @MrTrpleDouble10, Cuban conceded to The Dallas Morning News, “If you’ve ever been in a company that’s failing €… you know, the effort isn’t the same. It’s no different.”

In his first five games on the Mavericks, at least, the numbers reflect Cuban’s assertion. Albeit a limited sample size in Dallas, Rondo is attempting two more field goals within five feet of the basket than he shot per game in Boston, and he’s increased his scoring by 5.3 points per contest — nearly matching his pre-injury average of 13.7 points. Likewise, the Mavs have allowed 10.1 fewer points with Rondo on the court, according to Basketball Reference. As Simmons suggested, he’s “up to stuff” more often.

Rondo is gone. Had he remained for the rest of the season, in all likelihood the soon-to-be free agent would’ve left for nothing over the summer. There’s little use in debating his performance any longer, but these rumblings leave us wondering whether Danny Ainge could’ve received a better return had his captain stayed fully committed. Just one more question Rondo leaves unanswered in Boston.

bob
MY NOTE:  If what Perk is saying is true, and Perk is one of Rondo's closest friends, then Danny had no choice.  In fact, with the salary cap going up so much next year and a lot of teams shedding contracts, I'm surprised Danny got a good deal of any kind.  It would have been very easy for teams to just wait until July.  The Lakers could have paid him easily and Kobe would be dancing.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Just How Bad Did Rondo Want Out? Empty Re: Just How Bad Did Rondo Want Out?

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:51 pm

bobheckler wrote: While Rondo’s decline at the age of 28 appeared a result of a player once reliant on slicing and scrapping his way into the restricted area still struggling to recover both physical and mentally from a serious knee injury, there have been rumblings in the fortnight since his trade that the regression might have been the result of another factor entirely: Effort.

“He’s always up to stuff when he’s locked in, and I think that’s the guy that Dallas is getting,” Grantland editor-in-chief Bill Simmons told writer Zach Lowe during their podcast last week. “In Boston, he would just give up the ball and just stand there, and I do think they had to trade him. It was too bad that was the way it worked out, not just from what we were seeing from the games, but from what I was hearing. In practice, when you have your guy who’s the unquestioned best guy on the team and the quote unquote ‘leader’ of the team, and he’s just not going hard in practice at all, that puts a coach who is trying to get through to young players in a really bad spot. And I think they knew they had to trade him.”

This is EXACTLY what I am talking about in the other Rondo thread.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:41 am

the new TV money doesn't kick in until 2016.

some people seem to think it will effect the cap next season. but unless the CBA is adjusted it won't.

as for the article, I think anyone that watched the first third of this season, saw what the article stated.

enough said.

Rondo is gone, we WILL move on and be a better team.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:14 pm

The article doesn't mention the Doc quote from a conversation he had with Rondo before the trade. He said Rondo was undecided.

What Rondo wanted to do is actually a "He said, She said" kind of thing and if everyone wants to concentrate on the "She said" part and ignore the "He said" part, that is fine with me.

Members of the media likes to stir the pot and members of chat forums and blogs like to conveniently ignore the parts that don't fit into their pre-conceived argument. As I said, that is fine with me.

What I do know is that athletes with big egos who have their feelings hurt when they are traded away from a team (when they would rather stay) and then one of their best buddies also get traded away from the same team (regardless of the buddies' actual feelings about the trade) perhaps will say anything that puts that team down a bit.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Of course Rondo wanted out. You could just see him, every few games, summoning the extra desire and energy that resulted in a great game. He just didn't have the heart to sustain it.

Rondo (with the imprimatur of his coaches) succeeded in making this a Rondo-centric team. As the future hall-of-famers left, he became the only game in town, and his imprint on the team became too strong. When he found out that a Rondo-centric team was a losing team, his only recourse was to want out. Any remaining time with the Celtics would probably have resulted in even more sulking and probably more of a pissing contest with Brad.

I find it hard to believe that so many people attach such credibility to public remarks by players, executives, coaches, etc., when most of those remarks are carefully crafted to achieve specific goals by the speakers. They're speaking for effect, not straight from the shoulder, and the desired effect is very often to cast themselves in a favorable light. Rondo is a smart guy, and he obviously would have refrained from remarks that could have been construed as marking him as a malcontent.

He's in a much better place from his own perspective, with a second chance to carve out the sort of niche that can work better for him than Rondo-centricity.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down