Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later?

3 posters

Go down

Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later? Empty Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later?

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:36 am

Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later?

Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later? 750x422
Celtics forward Tayshaun Prince defends against Clippers guard Austin Rivers. Prince could be soon playing beside Rivers in a Clippers uniform. (Michael Nelson / EPA)

By BEN BOLCH

The name across the front of his jersey read "Boston" on Monday, so Tayshaun Prince wouldn't allow himself to think about what it might be like to have "Clippers" or another team stitched there in a few weeks.

"I'm not going to have one foot in, one foot out," Prince said before the Celtics' 102-93 loss to the Clippers at Staples Center. "I'm a Boston Celtic and I'm going to have both feet in."

Boston acquired Prince last week as part of the trade that sent Jeff Green to the Memphis Grizzlies, but it remains unclear if the veteran small forward will have his contract bought out.

The Clippers are currently without a true backup small forward and would be among the teams interested in adding Prince, 34, if he becomes available.

Celtics Coach Brad Stevens said he was "hopeful" Prince would remain with his team through the end of the season because of Prince's personality and experience. The 13-year veteran won an NBA title with the Detroit Pistons in 2004 and is considered a positive influence in the locker room.

Prince finished with two points, two rebounds and one assist in 19 minutes off the bench in his Celtics debut Monday, typical production for a player primarily known for his defense.

Would Prince, a Compton native, be interested in joining the Clippers?

"I can't really speculate on what teams I can help and things like that when I'm sitting here as a Boston Celtic not knowing what the future holds," he said. "If that situation happens to where down the road where I am free, we'll get to that situation then."

bob
MY NOTE:  No backup SF?  Doc loves veterans, ESPECIALLY veterans who play sticky defense?  Can you say "2nd rounder?  This is an LA Times article and not a Boston blogger just trying to predict Trader Danny's next move...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later? Empty Re: Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later?

Post by kdp59 Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:57 am

his $7M plus salary will make getting ANY trade returns difficult at best, IMO.

more likely he gets bought out and becomes a FA OR Stevens talks Danny into keeping him the rest of this year.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later? Empty Re: Tayshaun Prince is a Celtic now -- and a Clipper later?

Post by gyso Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:47 am

Would another traded player exception be what it takes to get a 2nd round pick?  

Danny probably doesn't want another player (or players) in return, doesn't want to take on more salary at this time (that's a strategy for later) and the TPE can be renounced if something comes up in free agency over the summer.

Does Doc need to release another player first?  I don't think so.  Didn't he give up three players to get his son?  He must have roster space right now.

Doc, make it so!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:31 am

Clippers might have roster space but they have no cap space.

they can't add a $7M salary.

the only way Doc can get Prince, is if he's bought out and signs as a FA for vey minimum OR he trades away enough cap space to take on Prince's $7M back.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down