Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Denver

2 posters

Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Denver Empty Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Denver

Post by Sam Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:46 am

I'm starting this thread and yielding to sleep deprivation. Great win. Game ball to Bradley for lights out clutch shooting. Kudos to Sully, Bass, Zeller, Pressey and Prince for playing above and beyond. Just when I thought their poise was deserting them (especially at the foul line), they pulled it together to eke out the win.

Some comments about Jae Crowder. As I suspected (and finally had a chance to prove by observation), he's not scoring because he's not getting touches. The next time they run a play for him will be the first. I counted tonight, and the Celtics had 51 possessions in the 22 minutes Jae played. Jae had exactly 12 touches in those 51 possession. In the team's first quarter possessions, he did nothing but run to the weak side (away from the ball) corner like Chris Johnson used to do last season. On all but very few possessions, he ran to the corner like Johnson used to do last season. Presumably, the objective was to space the floor to get opportunities for teammates, but it denied him any good scoring chances.

I don't know whether it was Brad's instruction or a unilateral move on Jae's part; but, in playing the entirety of the third quarter, he posted up, played inside-outside offense, got eight of his 12 touches, and scored nine points.

So, as to what's "wrong" with Crowder, perhaps these facts might offer some helpful perspective. It's difficult to score when you're an offensive afterthought who touches the ball on fewer than one-quarter of the team's offensive possessions.

Jae was in there for the last four minutes of the game, presumably because it was obvious that, if the Celtics were to win, the defense had to make big stops. I thought Prince and Jae made a great defensive duo against Denver's wings (and, in Prince's case, against Nelson on the last play of the game).

I believe it's no coincidence that (1) the two most recent pickups of consequence (Crowder and Prince) are glue guys who play two-way basketball and could find ways to contribute to almost any team and (2) the Celtics are now staying in games and giving themselves legitimate chances to win at the end. The chemistry has a long way to go, but the improving defense may be the best indicator of how the chemistry issue is gradually being addressed. The result of the Blazers game wasn't a glimmer, and the result of the Nuggets game isn't a glimmer; but the chemistry is inching in that direction.

I'd be very happy to see this team, as currently comprised, finish out the year together and have an opportunity to prove what they might be capable of. Although Danny could always jettison them, I believe guys like Bass, Thornton and Bradley are finding ways to match their capabilities to the chemistry needs of the team. No matter what happens, I won't expect a lot of winning or even a low playoff slot. But it would be a nice respite to watch them really playing as a team, leaving it all on the court, and playing with a sense of joy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Denver Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Denver

Post by kdp59 Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:01 pm

I thought it was a very good hard fought win for the team.

another close one that went our way, against a team that it similar to us record wise.

if Ainge doesn't watch it, Stevens is going to have these guys battling for a playoff spot THIS year and ruin Danny's plan for a lotto pick.

Kellys' injury is real concern for the next few weeks, as we have no depth up front right now. I didn't see Randolph in the game last night at all.
So Stevens used Zeller, Sully and Bass as his bigs all night.
he did go some small ball with a Wallace sighting at times.

we shouldn't under estimate winning CLOSE back to back games on a long road trip, for a young team.

right now some of these teams may be expecting an easy push over team., but this Celtic team is not one of those. Maybe less talented, but not a push over.

I asked before this road trip , if the team could win a second game (I expected a win at Minny) . well I already have my answer.

lowered expectations?

perhaps.

but this team without Rondo and Green are still on target to win about as many games as most of us expected this year.

and I am having fun watching the youngsters play and grow.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down