Why Boston Celtics Struck Gold With Evan Turner

3 posters

Go down

Why Boston Celtics Struck Gold With Evan Turner Empty Why Boston Celtics Struck Gold With Evan Turner

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:17 am

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11378-why-boston-celtics-struck-gold-with-evan-turner

Why Boston Celtics Struck Gold With Evan Turner
Written by  Mark Loiselle Jr.

The former Ohio State Buckeye is making his name known around Boston.

The Boston Celtics have always been a historic, enriched franchise in NBA history, but in the 2014-15 season, they have been everything but.

That doesn't take away from there growing, winning culture. If anything, it allows others to step up and make a name for themselves.

When Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge landed Evan Turner with a two-year deal worth $6.7 million, many people were saying "another wasted contact" or "overrated pay for an unproven guy." But he simply felt otherwise.

Now the Celtics shouldn't think he can become the next superstar in the City of Champions, but he can be a cornerstone piece to a rebuilding franchse. His demeanor in the locker room and the way he carries himself is what some admire about Turner.

Boston has always been accustomed to building an "ubuntu"-esque model throughout their organization, they continue to do just that. Jared Sullinger, who is emerging as a strong presence in the paint, worked out in Columbus, Ohio with Turner in the offseason before the former No. 2 pick signed on with the green team.

The two always had doubts of ever playing together, especially after Turner elected to go to the NBA after his junior season with the Buckeyes. But, as in the offseason, these two are meshing well together on the court and are giving Brad Stevens something to work with.

Comradery goes a long way, and seems to be doing so with the two Clevelanders.

Something unique and can't be coached in Turner's game is his poise, basketball instincts and killer-mentatlity in crunch time. There has been few but spectacular moments in the 26-year-old's young career, including a buzzer-beaters with his old team the Philadelphia 76ers, scenarios with the Indiana Pacers and a gaming-winning three-point shot on Thursday night against the Portland Trailblazers.

Celtics fans should sit back and admire these tough moments because these are the times that make teams stronger and better than ever in the long run. Ainge has pieced a championship team before, and I believe Turner can be a key that starts that engine sooner than you think.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why Boston Celtics Struck Gold With Evan Turner Empty Re: Why Boston Celtics Struck Gold With Evan Turner

Post by Sam Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:29 pm

I almost always refrain from such comments, but this is one of the most poorly written media articles I've ever seen.  Or maybe the editor is at fault.

"This doesn't take away from there growing, winning culture."  (And what's a "growing" culture?)

"Comradery?"

"Something unique and can't be coached in his game is his poise, instincts and killer-mentality..."

"a buzzer-beaters"

"Ainge has pieced a championship team before"

Nice to know that someone considers Turner "can be a building block to a rebuilding franchise."  I do think he's performed generally better than a lot of people give him credit for.  And I can see him being a valuable backup swing man for a contending team.  If he's improved in any aspect of his game, I believe it's his defense.  Brad has been leaving him on the floor for defensive possessions late in games.  And it is nice to have a "1" who can shoot the ball with some degree of consistency.  Not only is he aggressive, but he can finish his slashes and pullups.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Why Boston Celtics Struck Gold With Evan Turner Empty Re: Why Boston Celtics Struck Gold With Evan Turner

Post by Sloopjohnb Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 pm

(And what's a "growing" culture?)

Sounds like a petri dish. It reminds me of high school biology.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down