WILL ANY CURRENT CELTICS MAKE A FUTURE ALL-STAR GAME?

+5
Sam
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
Matty
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

WILL ANY CURRENT CELTICS MAKE A FUTURE ALL-STAR GAME? Empty WILL ANY CURRENT CELTICS MAKE A FUTURE ALL-STAR GAME?

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:16 am

WILL ANY CURRENT CELTICS MAKE A FUTURE ALL-STAR GAME?
01.30.15 at 12:55 pm ET
By Ben Rohrbach

Is anybody on this Celtics team capable of playing in a future All-Star Game?

The current 14-man roster shares one All-Star bid, as Gerald Wallace appeared as a reserve in 2010, but the real question is whether or not any of the eight players currently under the age of 25 will ever receive an invitation. Needless to say, nobody on this year’s Celtics even cracked the top 50 vote-getters for good reason.

While we shouldn’t give up all hope on Kelly Olynyk or James Young just yet, it’s safe to assume Jared Sullinger and Marcus Smart offer the best hopes among these Celtics for a future All-Star nomination. So, let’s take a look at how the 2015 NBA All-Stars fared at the same stage of their careers as that C’s tandem.

BACKCOURT

Midway through his rookie season, Smart has averaged 6.7 points (54.3 true shooting percentage), 3.2 assists against 1.2 turnovers, 2.4 rebounds and 1.1 steals in 22.2 minutes over 30 games. How do those numbers rate against the pre-All-Star rookie averages for the 12 guards who made this year’s East and West rosters?

Stephen Curry (51 games): 34.5 min, 14.8 pts (56.3 TS%), 4.9 ast (2.7 to), 3.8 reb, 1.9 stl
Kobe Bryant (39 games): 14.5 min, 7.8 pts (55.4 TS%), 2.0 reb, 1.0 ast (1.6 to), 0.6 stl
Jimmy Butler (20 games): 7.5 min, 2.5 pts (63.4 TS%), 1.2 reb, 0.4 stl, 0.3 ast (0.3 to)
James Harden (51 games): 22.7 min, 9.7 pts (53.0 TS%), 3.2 reb, 2.0 ast (1.3 to), 1.0 stl
Kyrie Irving (28 games): 31.0 min, 18.1 pts (56.9 TS%), 5.1 ast (3.1 to), 3.5 reb, 0.8 stl
Kyle Lowry (10 games): 17.5 min, 5.6 pts (55.6 TS%), 3.2 ast (1.2 to), 3.1 reb, 1.4 stl
Chris Paul (48 games): 35.4 min, 15.9 pts (54.2 TS%), 7.7 ast (2.4 to), 5.6 reb, 2.2 stl
Jeff Teague (45 games): 9.7 min, 2.9 pts (40.8 TS%), 1.7 ast (0.7 to), 0.9 reb, 0.5 stl
Klay Thompson (30 games): 16.5 min, 7.2 pts (56.1 TS%), 1.6 reb, 1.3 ast (1.1 to), 0.5 stl
Dwyane Wade (36 games): 36.0 min, 16.3 pts (52.3 TS%), 4.4 ast (3.0 to), 4.3 reb, 1.3 stl
John Wall (42 games): 36.9 min, 15.0 pts (49.1 TS%), 8.9 ast (3.7 to), 4.2 reb, 1.7 stl
Russell Westbrook (53 games): 31.7 min, 15.0 pts (50.2 TS%), 4.9 ast (3.1 to), 1.4 stl

While Smart hasn’t been handed the workload of Irving, Paul, Wade, Wall or Westbrook in Year 1, the Celtics rookie’s 36-minute averages [10.8 pts (54.3 TS%), 5.1 ast (1.9 to), 3.9 reb, 1.8 stl] aren’t all that far off from almost everyone on this list through the first half of their rookie seasons. And that’s an encouraging sign.

FRONTCOURT

Despite back surgery that cost him the second half of his rookie campaign, Sullinger is averaging 14.3 points (53.4 true shooting percentage), 8.2 rebounds, 2.2 assists against 1.4 turnovers and 0.7 steals in 28.8 minutes over 44 games midway through his third season — by far the best year of his young career. So, what kind of numbers were the current All-Star frontcourt players posting halfway through their third NBA seasons?

LaMarcus Aldridge (51 games): 38.0 min, 20.9 pts (52.6 TS%), 8.8 reb, 2.5 ast (1.9 to), 0.8 stl
Carmelo Anthony (53 games): 36.8 min, 26.0 pts (55.0 TS%), 5.3 reb, 2.7 ast (2.7 to), 1.3 stl
Chris Bosh (53 games): 38.8 min, 22.5 pts (59.0 TS%), 9.2 reb, 2.5 ast (2.2 to), 0.6 stl
Anthony Davis (42 games): 36.1 min, 24.5 pts (61.3 TS%), 10.4 reb, 1.7 ast (1.3 to), 1.6 stl
Tim Duncan (49 games): 39.6 min, 24.6 pts (56.5 TS%), 13.1 reb, 3.0 ast (3.3 to), 1.0 stl
Kevin Durant (51 games): 39.8 min, 29.7 pts (60.6 TS%), 7.4 reb, 2.9 ast (3.8 to), 1.4 stl
Marc Gasol (56 games): 33.3 min, 11.8 pts (57.5 TS%), 7.0 reb, 2.7 ast (2.0 to), 0.8 stl
Pau Gasol (52 games): 32.3 min, 17.6 pts (54.1 TS%), 7.9 reb, 2.4 ast (2.4 to), 0.6 stl
Blake Griffin (54 games): 32.5 min, 18.5 pts (57.4 TS%), 8.7 reb, 3.6 ast (2.4 to), 1.5 stl
Al Horford (51 games): 34.9 min, 13.4 pts (59.9 TS%), 9.4 reb, 2.1 ast (1.5 to), 0.7 stl
LeBron James: (52 games): 42.2 min, 31.2 pts (57.2 TS%), 7.0 reb, 6.6 ast (3.2 to), 1.7 stl
Paul Millsap (47 games): 32.1 min, 14.7 pts (58.6 TS%), 9.2 reb, 2.2 ast (2.1 to), 1.0 stl

While many on this list were well ahead of Sullinger’s pace through two and a half seasons, there is hope for the Ohio State product, especially if he dedicates himself to getting in better physical shape. Just look to Millsap, the undersized Hawks forward whose work ethic has led to steady improvement and his current status as arguably the Eastern Conference’s best low-post player. Of course, he didn’t make his first All-Star roster until leaving the team that drafted him, so only time will tell if any current C’s make a similar leap.

bob
MY NOTE:  A VERY relevant question to the question of "how effective will the rebuild be?".  Do we have the talent to grow organically or not?  If not, then Danny is really going to need all those draft picks.  If we do, then one marquis free agent or trade and we're in the hunt again.  If either Sully or Smart attend the all-star game as anything other than as a spectator,  then we are just one marquis player away from relevance.  If they both make it then we have two all-stars and that should definitely get us into the second round and maybe even the EC Finals or more...Do you think there is a future all-star on this roster?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

WILL ANY CURRENT CELTICS MAKE A FUTURE ALL-STAR GAME? Empty Re: WILL ANY CURRENT CELTICS MAKE A FUTURE ALL-STAR GAME?

Post by Matty Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:56 am

sully and smart have to be considered as future possibilities.

on the other hand I believe its entirely possible for the Boston Celtics to provide all 5 start for the East to next years All Star game- its a very simple formula..

this summer Danny goes to China and finds the 5 worst-end of the bench scrubs out there and offers them 1 year deals in Boston. Brad plays them each 2 minutes a game... they'd be write in starters all 5.

that game is now just a popularity contest more and less a reflection of talent.. its being played by any particular player is no longer relevant in my opinion.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

WILL ANY CURRENT CELTICS MAKE A FUTURE ALL-STAR GAME? Empty Re: WILL ANY CURRENT CELTICS MAKE A FUTURE ALL-STAR GAME?

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:32 pm

I think Smart can get there.  He just needs to crack the starting lineup and showcase his abilities.  Even before that, the coaching staff needs to decide if he's going to play as a 1 or 2 and leave him in that spot.  I can't see him being marooned behind Turner and Bradley forever, so the time may come.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Smart's defense has really picked up lately and hes not afraid to shoot, I see his stroke only getting better and better. I thought his driving game was going to be alot better, hes not as explosive a leaper going to the rim as I thought he would be.

Sully just played 2 of his worst games in a row, earlier he had a monster game vs GS. He surprises me at times with his bull like drives, and he can clear space. Its gotta be tough always going against 7 footers every night, if he only has to compete against other 4's he could put up some much bigger numbers, but put a legit 5 defender like Perk on him, he can't score.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:08 am

Sully and Smart are two guys in serious transition.

Sully is engaged in a bit of a "makeover" in which he's part of the spacing of the floor, which sometimes negated the possibility of doing offensively what he does best—operate out of the low post.  It's difficult to believe that Brad doesn't have a firm hand in this development, and Sully looks far more comfortable operating out of the low post than at the perimeter.  Offensively, I'd say a lot of Sully's future depends on Brad's influence in the present.

Defensively, there's probably a little room for improvement by Sully in learning the tricks of the trade for using his bulk to best advantage.  More important could be how soon (if ever) he has an intimidator next to him and making his job easier.  I'm not sure how realistic to expect a lot of individual defensive improvement on Sully's part, given that a lot of his shortcomings (no pun intended) are physical in nature.

Smart is undergoing a faster offensive transformation than I expected.  In his perimeter shooting, he has improved his stroke dramatically.  I'd love to see more of a mid-range game from him.  But, even more, I hope he'll work hard on taking the ball inside.  He's got the physical tools to be very effectiveness in doing that, but I sense his greatest problem in terms of an inside game is instinctively feeling when the time is right.

I've always thought that instincts (or lack of them) may be the key to his possible improvement as a true floor general.  Yes, I know that, if the Celts really do use a motion offense, there may be less need for a traditional "1."  But, based on what I've seen already, this team has difficulty in maintaining a good motion offense.

So far, Smart seems to be adopting Rondo's habit of hanging around the perimeter with the ball and waiting for cutters to make their moves.  I didn't like it when Rondo did it, and I don't believe it's the way for Smart to develop a successful floor general's creative and aggressive mentality. Right now, he's basically a good, opportunistic passer.  As a floor general, he'll have to strategize as to how to attain and maintain a dynamic (among other things) offense.  

There doesn't seem to be much negative commentary on Smart's offense.  I believe it's more effective against shooting guards, as little speedy guys can give him trouble.

So, in thinking about Sully's and Smart's potential for star status, I'd say a lot will depend on the strategic directions that are taken to put the team together and the demands those decisions will place on the roles of Sully and Smart.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:19 am

sam wrote:Sully and Perk are two guys in serious transition.

Sully is engaged in a bit of a "makeover" in which he's part of the spacing of the floor, which sometimes negated the possibility of doing offensively what he does best—operate out of the low post.  It's difficult to believe that Brad doesn't have a firm hand in this development, and Sully looks far more comfortable operating out of the low post than at the perimeter.  Offensively, I'd say a lot of Sully's future depends on Brad's influence in the present.

Defensively, there's probably a little room for improvement by Sully in learning the tricks of the trade for using his bulk to best advantage.  More important could be how soon (if ever) he has an intimidator next to him and making his job easier.  I'm not sure how realistic to expect a lot of individual defensive improvement on Sully's part, given that a lot of his shortcomings (no pun intended) are physical in nature.

Smart is undergoing a faster offensive transformation than I expected.  In his perimeter shooting, he has improved his stroke dramatically.  I'd love to see more of a mid-range game from him.  But, even more, I hope he'll work hard on taking the ball inside.  He's got the physical tools to be very effectiveness in doing that, but I sense his greatest problem in terms of an inside game is instinctively feeling when the time is right.

I've always thought that instincts (or lack of them) may be the key to his possible improvement as a true floor general.  Yes, I know that, if the Celts really do use a motion offense, there may be less need for a traditional "1."  But, based on what I've seen already, this team has difficulty in maintaining a good motion offense.

So far, Smart seems to be adopting Rondo's habit of hanging around the perimeter with the ball and waiting for cutters to make their moves.  I didn't like it when Rondo did it, and I don't believe it's the way for Smart to develop a successful floor general's creative and aggressive mentality. Right now, he's basically a good, opportunistic passer.  As a floor general, he'll have to strategize as to how to attain and maintain a dynamic (among other things) offense.  

There doesn't seem to be much negative commentary on Smart's offense.  I believe it's more effective against shooting guards, as little speedy guys can give him trouble.

So, in thinking about Sully's and Smart's potential for star status, I'd say a lot will depend on the strategic directions that are taken to put the team together and the demands those decisions will place on the roles of Sully and Smart.

Sam

Sam,

Do you mean Sully and Smart or Sully and Perk?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:00 am

Smart and.....wait for it.............................................

Kelly O.!

remember the question is "will any current Celtics ever make an all-star team" not BE an all-pro.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:12 am

kdp59 wrote:Smart and.....wait for it.............................................

Kelly O.!

remember the question is "will any current Celtics ever make an all-star team" not BE an all-pro.

Kdp,

Wow. Now that's a bold statement, especially when he couldn't get back into the starting 5.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:06 pm

Bob,

Sully and Smart, of course. Cowens finally got to my subconscious.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Although I am not complaining about the transition of Sullenger into more of perimeter forward this year because this year is clearly a 'developmental' year and such projects are part of developmental situations, but, deep down, I think that he will have to eventually placed closer to the basket to make the best use of his best talents.

And if making the all star team is a goal, he will likely have to get his stats up and that will easily be done with him closer to the hoop on offense.

This idea also seems to make even more sense to me as long as Olynyk is on the roster with Sullenger.  Olynyk is already a much better high post/outside type of guy and trying to get Sullenger to duplicate what Olynyk can do leaves questions in my mind.

I also think that my concerns with these two guys will get solved when Ainge is going to trade one of them when he finds a trade partner to land a center or a truer point guard than Smart.

Last edited by wide clyde on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Much to early to worry about the teams make up now. All we have now is a cast that is auditioning for a play that isn't scheduled to open on BROADWAY for another 2 0r 3 years.  With all the chips that Danny  has at his disposal for this current remake, predicting who the final pieces in the puzzle will be down the road, while entertaining, is not likely to have a great deal of accuracy.  Remember, that from the 2005-06 roster of 18 players only 4 played on the 2007-08 championship team

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:15 pm

Plus one Swish. I bet that not even DA knows with certanity who will be on the team next season.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:46 pm

http://bkref.com/tiny/Wxg6T

Above is the roster for the 2005-06 Celtics who compiled a 33-49 record.  The list is sorted by average points per game. The 4 players were, Pierce, Allen, Scalabrine, and Perkins

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:00 pm

bobheckler wrote:
kdp59 wrote:Smart and.....wait for it.............................................

Kelly O.!

Kdp,

Wow.  Now that's a bold statement, especially when he couldn't get back into the starting 5.

bob

I don't think it any bolder than saying Smart and Sully.

Sully is year ahead of Kelly.

Kelly is a natural stretch four. Sully isn't

Kelly has a high BB IQ. Higher than Sully , IMO.

he is a good passer...better than Sully.

Both are under the rim PF's...but Kelly's more natural ability at high post is a plus there.

Both are limited on defense.

I know I am higher on Kelly than most here.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:57 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

Sully and Smart, of course.  Cowens finally got to my subconscious.

Sam

admit it Sam you miss his toughness and physicality

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:25 pm

Cow,

I stopped thinking about it and focused on reality (namely the present and future) the day after he was traded.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:58 pm

Okay Sam

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down