Post-Game Thread, Lakers

+2
mrkleen09
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Post-Game Thread, Lakers Empty Post-Game Thread, Lakers

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:18 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4717949/lakers-118-celtics-111-boston-rallies-after-thomas-tossed-but-fizzles-in-ot

Lakers 118, Celtics 111: Boston rallies after Thomas tossed, but fizzles in OT
February, 23, 2015
FEB 23 12:26 AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

LOS ANGELES -- Isaiah Thomas sure knows how to make an entrance. And an exit.

Thomas, acquired by the Boston Celtics at Thursday's trade deadline, scored 21 points on 6-of-13 shooting, but was ejected after protesting an offensive foul call in a four-point game with 5:03 remaining.

The Celtics rallied from a 10-point deficit over the final 3:31 to force overtime on Avery Bradley's 3-pointer but couldn't maintain that momentum in the extra session before falling to the Los Angeles Lakers 118-111 at Staples Center.

With the Lakers on top 91-87, Thomas tried to drive, but referee Tony Brothers whistled him for an offensive foul. After barking initially in protest, a frustrated Thomas slammed the ball into the court with two hands (but caught it before it rebounded high). Brothers still whistled him for a technical, and followed with another when Thomas protested the first technical.

The Lakers pushed their lead to 10 with 3:31 to play, but Boston just kept fighting. Los Angeles was still up seven with 1:17 to go. After Nick Young missed a late free throw, Bradley hit a straightaway triple at the buzzer to force the extra session. The Lakers scored the first six points in the extra session and Boston couldn't claw its way back again.

Jae Crowder finished with 22 points on 8-of-14 shooting, while Bradley had 20 points.

Jeremy Lin scored a game-high 25 points on 10-of-15 shooting. Wesley Johnson added 22 points on 9-of-11 shooting, while Nick Young added 19 points for Los Angeles' super-subs.

• Dish of the Night: Marcus Smart slashed baseline, spun around a defender, then wrapped a pass around another defending rushing to help as Gerald Wallace got an easy layup (and his first field goal in nearly a month's time). Unfortunately, it was the highlight of a frustrating night for Smart, who fouled out after putting up 11 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists over 31 minutes.

• Loose balls: The Celtics, who had only 10 players available during Friday's loss in Sacramento, dressed 12, but stuck with what was essentially a nine-man rotation. ... Newcomer Jonas Jerebko, who had been ill during the game, played four scoreless minutes. ... Luigi Datome, acquired with Jerebko in a swap for Tayshaun Prince on Thursday, Phil Pressey, and Shavlik Randolph were healthy DNPs. ... The Lakers shot 51.2 percent overall; Boston finished at 42.9 percent.

• What it means: The Celtics dropped their second game on this three-game road trip and fell to 20-33 overall. The Lakers improve to 14-41. Next up for Boston: A trip to Phoenix where Thomas will play his former team to close out a back-to-back on Monday night.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post-Game Thread, Lakers Empty Re: Post-Game Thread, Lakers

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:43 am

A frustrating game, to be sure.  I promised myself I wouldn't start judging players until after I've gotten eyeballs on a few games.  I'm having trouble this morning keeping my promise.

Started off well.  Passing, inside scoring, flexing defense that rotated well.  Then, just like in Sacto, we stopped.

1.  He certainly is a Mighty Mouse, isn't he?  His weakness last night, aside from getting ejected, was his 4 turnovers.  Other than that, man oh man, can he score at will or what?  He didn't walk it up the court either.  I could see where he doesn't want to see the ball out of his hands for long though.  In the bigger picture that might be a problem, I saw in the "Comments from the Other Side" from the Sacto fans that he likes to take a lot of fgas (a lot!) but last night he was the right prescription.  We'll see how much he elevates the play of his teammates, let's give him more than 24 hours to figure it out.  My prediction is that one of his technicals will be rescinded by the league.  That was one helluva fast two whistles by Tony Brothers.  You don't usually get T'd up for bouncing the ball in frustration if you catch it.  If there is one under-reported, and under-appreciated, aspect of the Thomas trade it is that it will

2.  Take the ball out of Evan Turnover's hands more (remember what I said about having trouble keeping my powder dry about players?).  Yeah, I know he had 12 assists and only 4 TOs last night but he was in the middle of almost every bad thing that happened in the 4th quarter and OT.  His turnovers in the OT killed us.  He has a half-assed shot that he just throws up at the basket rather than aims.  5-19.  His career 42.5% career fg% is down to 41% this year and this game will make it worse.  His shooting discipline is non-existent, there isn't a shot he doesn't like.  What's amazing about that is that he isn't a good shooter.  His dribble is high and loose.  Ugh.  What bothers me most is that this is the same game I saw the few games I got to see before I left in November, so I'm thinking this is his game for better or worse.  Who am I kidding?  Worse.  He has great court vision and lousy judgement.  Enjoy the tapas in Spain or the pasta in Italy next year, Mr. #2 draft pick.  If James Young wasn't so raw and Gerald Wallace wasn't so grizzled he wouldn't be in there.

2.  On the other hand, I'm glad I bought time for Crowder.  Too many 3s, especially since he only shot 1-5 on them, but he ended up a very nice 8-14 because of his strong drives to the hoop and cuts without the ball.  Loved those, loved those points in the paint.  Why settle for a jumpshot when you've got daylight that lets you deposit the ball in the hoop without any question?  He bailed out Smart with a cut.  Smart was in the air, in no-man's land, but snuck a really cute wrap-around pass past two Lakers to the cutting Crowder.   Good energy tonight, really on his game.  When they watch film Brad should show everybody Crowder taking advantage of his man's inattention by going to the front of the rim.  A great learning opportunity for this over-jumpshooting team.

3.  Zeller, Bass and a cameo by Jerebko vs the immortal Robert Sacre Bleu, Boozer and Jordan Hill.  We went from overloaded on bigs to thin as hell.  It nice to know there is a team in the NBA with a worse, and thinner, center corp than ours.  After years of watching Wilt, Kareem and Shaq in Laker purple-and-gold it is hard to watch Sacre without just pounding the button on the morphine release drip until you drift away.  Boozer isn't what he used to be, he is probably comparable to Bass now (but without Bass' defense) but he's still a load and I've always liked Jordan Hill.  In OT, Zeller was trying to back down his man into the paint.  That's not his forte.  He's a motion offense center, not a diesel like Shaq.  If Brad called that play, I don't like it.  I'd say it was Evan Turnover's play call except that I know he'd never call a play that didn't have the ball in his hands.  Zeller committed some key turnovers.  Bass had his usual blue-collar game but two of them is not enough.  No comment on Jerebko, wouldn't be fair.

4.  One-third of our fgas were 3s and we only shot 24% on them.  I know that without Sully and Kelly we have very limited inside production but this is ridiculous.  Not liking this.  We shoot 42% against the second worse defense in the league?  They give up 46.7% to everybody else and we can only squeeze 42% out of them?  Horrid.  Marcus Smart, 0-5.  Evan Turnover, 0-3 and Crowder, 1-5.  Crowder, at least, made up for it in other ways.  Our offense boils down to passing it around the horn, trying to get the defense to shift left/right just enough to give someone an open 3.  No movement towards the hoop, no attempt to distract the defense with that so you can hit a cutter baseline.

5.  Another forgettable game by James Young.  I blame him for all of Turner's minutes.

6.  Mr. One-Trick Pony almost pulled it off.  It's hard enough trying to beat the Lakers without having having a boat anchor named Evan Turner around your neck too.  3 steals.  He played good defense on the perimeter but had no help on picks.  Our bigs didn't stop Laker guards from penetrating after their bigs picked Bradley off.  

7.  When Jeremy Lin can drive into the lane at will and just throw himself into somebody and score, you know there's something wrong.  Our perimeter defense was good in the beginning but got continuously worse as the game progressed.

8.  Wesley Johnson was unconscious last night.  His fg%, both career and this season, is as painfully bad as Evan Turner's.  He was just hitting everything last night.  When the curtain goes up and the spotlights come on some players step up while other players start brushing up on their Italian (or Spanish or Turkish).

9.  Another crappy night at the line.  19-27 for only 70%.  The normally steady Bradley was 0-3.  Bradley goes 1-3 and we win in regulation.  Of such little details are successes, and failures, built.

10.  In a desperate attempt to wean myself off the drip, I can point to 56 points in the paint  for the Celtics.  More paint points for us, despite being thin up front.  Mssrs Crowder (6 of his 8 fgm) and Bass (6 of his 7 fgm) were strong in the paint.  We also had 15 fast break points vs only 6 for the Nicholson-less Slowtime crew.

11.  Seven turnovers in the 4th quarter alone.  Seven.  That's almost half our 16 for the game.  Some of those turnovers were predictable as players like Zeller and Turner made the obvious pass and were picked off by Lakers shooting the passing lanes.

NOT an auspicious post-all star/trading deadline start.  Will the return of Kelly make a difference?  Sure, but it's depressing to think that's what we're hanging our hats on but at least our only hope for victory won't hinge on playing micro-ball.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:51 pm

An absolutely disgraceful display by the refs in the game last night. Thomas gets thrown out for pounding the ball into the court more frustrated with himself than anyone, Jeremy Lin double dribbles AND takes 3 steps on the same play, and they miss both.

The Lakers were handed the game on a silver platter by Tony Brothers and Tom Washington and still needed overtime to finally win.

The Lakers are a terrible team, so I understand why they are excited to win by any means - but to see them so impressed with themselves after every basket, is truly embarrassing. Act like you have been there before fellas -not like the Washington Generals.

Watching the Lakers makes me realize how many miles ahead of then the Celtics are in the rebuild.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:04 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:An absolutely disgraceful display by the refs in the game last night.  Thomas gets thrown out for pounding the ball into the court more frustrated with himself than anyone, Jeremy Lin double dribbles AND takes 3 steps on the same play, and they miss both.

The Lakers were handed the game on a silver platter by Tony Brothers and Tom Washington and still needed overtime to finally win.

The Lakers are a terrible team, so I understand why they are excited to win by any means - but to see them so impressed with themselves after every basket, is truly embarrassing.  Act like you have been there before fellas -not  like the Washington Generals.

Watching the Lakers makes me realize how many miles ahead of then the Celtics are in the rebuild.

The Lakers had lost 16 of their previous 17 games.
Why shouldn't they be excited to win a game?

This Lakers team is not going to act like they have been there before, because they haven't been anywhere or accomplished anything except win 14 regular season games.

Rebuilds can change quickly with cap space and a top 5 draft pick.
If the Lakers get a top 2 or 3 pick and sign a significant free agent, things will look much different a year from now.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:11 pm

I don't want to be too judgmental here but I'm disappointed that the good chemistry built up with Thornton and Prince has pretty much evaporated. It probably can't be helped (if Danny wanted IT so much) but I don't envy Brad Stevens. This is at least the third time this year that he has to start over from scratch.

Isiah Thomas is very quick and I like him attacking the basket but boy is he tiny! Sometimes I think Ainge won't be happy until he gets a 3'2" guard who's specialty on the defensive end will be stealing the ball off the opponent's dribble by running up behind him and threw/under his legs. He couldn't help but get all ball with this technique (As far as multiple balls - I don't want to go there). His specialty on the offensive side would be jumping on the back of someone like Bass (thereby giving Brandon the extra height he unfortunately lacks) and hauling in an alley-oop pass for a thunderous dunk.

As much as a certain board member nerves me with constant quibbling about no really big man on our team, he has a point. We need a dominant defensive presence in the paint!
If Danny can't deliver that now I hope and pray that he'll be able to manage it via free agency or in the draft.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:16 pm

tjmakz wrote:

This Lakers team is not going to act like they have been there before, because they haven't been anywhere or accomplished anything except win 14 regular season games.

If the Lakers get a top 2 or 3 pick and sign a significant free agent, things will look much different a year from now.

As I said, I can understand why they were excited last night - but even Mike Gorman who is as fair as they come said several times, man these guys are pretty impressed with themselves.

Act like you have been there before is a METAPHOR, you know that as well as anyone. When you wear the Celtics or Lakers jersey you should have a level of professionalism that respects your history.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:29 pm

When Boston beat Washington in 2 OT earlier this season, they acted like they won the NBA championship. I don't remember you saying anything about your Celtics.

Boston lost to a currently terrible team.
Stop focusing on the refs and the Lakers.
Boston played terribly yesterday.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:43 pm

TJ

Do me a favor and dont tell me what to focus on. The Celtics were in the midst of a strong comeback and Thomas was having a great game and the refs were doing their best to keep the Lakers in the game. Period.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Just a few observations, since BobH is doing his usual good job of reporting on the game.

After the game, someone on the broadcast said that the second technical on Thomas was for throwing the ball at the referee.  I didn't see that happen, but perhaps (if it did happen at all) it was off camera.

I don't know whether the rules may have changed.  But, in the past, I've recounted the time when Sam Jones was infuriated with a ref, and Sam and Red were arguing with the ref during a timeout.  Sam still had the ball, and he slammed it down on the court. It went about 12 feet in the air, he caught it, dribbled it twice, listened as he shook it, spun it around in the air, handed it to the ref, and said, "It's okay."  No technical on that play.  I would ordinarily say the ref just liked Sam's smile, but Sam wasn't smiling at the time.

I suspect that fans are more unnerved than the Celtics are by the need to start over in terms of coming together as a team so that all the parts fit reasonably well and the team gains some chemistry by the end of the season.  This is a development year, and the recent changes are a part of the developmental process.

It could take a little time to arrive at a meeting of the minds between Thomas, Isaiah and the rest of the team as to how they all fit together.  But I do believe the end result will be better offensive balance on the bench.  I was actually impressed with Thomas' defense, which reminded me a little of Pressey's defense (and I've been presently surprised by that too.  I think that, once Thomas learns the Celtics systems, his defense can only improve, and his offense doesn't need to improve much.  He just has to learn how to fit his offense with the Celtics' system—whatever it is—and, frankly, I'm not too sure right now.

Last night, I thought that, with Thomas in there, the Lakers' defense was sufficiently preoccupied with Isaiah that offensive opportunities were created for Thomas' teammates.  And one of those teammates happens to be Jae Crowder, who definitely took advantage of some of those opportunities to make a number of slashes to the hoop for buckets.  That's just one example of what I meant when I mentioned "offensive balance" above.

I am increasingly concerned about Smart's inability to defend smaller, athletic opponents.  Jeremy Lin simply lit Marcus up last night, and I've previously noted a number of similar occurrences in other games.  If he's going to be a "1," he's going to have to guard opposing "1s" because it's impossible for a "1" to see out and pick up an opposing "2" every time there's a transition to defense.  This continued ineptitude is the best reason yet, in my opinion, to look at him as a prospective shooting guard.  And isn't it ironic that it's a potential defensive wart?

A lot of Turner's most egregious mistakes take place when he's running the team.  The "1" position is not his natural position, and I seriously doubt that he requested to play it.  Aside from occasional very good pass, he's not particularly skilled in setting up teammates; and, all year long, I've thought his surprisingly high assist totals bore testament to the ability of his teammates to break free.  When a player has to think, rather than act instinctively, to play a position, he's bound to be less effective at that position.  When a player has to think, rather than act instinctively, to play the position of FLOOR GENERAL, it's a wonder that complete disasters aren't occurring on a regular basis.  Right, Avery?

I believe that, if Brad eventually had Thomas play 30-35 of the floor general minutes, Smart move over to shooting guard, and Turner play small forward, all three of them would be more comfortable in their respective roles.  Who fills in the other 13-18 minutes at the "1" would be Brad's problem, but I think Pressey would actually be more effective if he played enough minutes to get into the flow of the game.  And now, at least, the Celtics have two guards who can push the ball.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:00 am

Berlin-T wrote:I don't want to be too judgmental here but I'm disappointed that the good chemistry built up with Thornton and Prince has pretty much evaporated. It probably can't be helped (if Danny wanted IT so much) but I don't envy Brad Stevens. This is at least the third time this year that he has to start over from scratch.

Isiah Thomas is very quick and I like him attacking the basket but boy is he tiny! Sometimes I think Ainge won't be happy until he gets a 3'2" guard who's specialty on the defensive end will be stealing the ball off the opponent's dribble by running up behind him and threw/under his legs. He couldn't help but get all ball with this technique (As far as multiple balls - I don't want to go there). His specialty on the offensive side would be jumping on the back of someone like Bass (thereby giving Brandon the extra height he unfortunately lacks) and hauling in an alley-oop pass for a thunderous dunk.

As much as a certain board member nerves me with constant quibbling about no really big man on our team, he has a point. We need a dominant defensive presence in the paint!
If Danny can't deliver that now I hope and pray that he'll be able to manage it via free agency or in the draft.

Berlin-T

who is that guy? call him out, opposing broadcasters are saying we have NO rim protection.....my eyes tell me that guy has a point

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:48 am

mrkleen09 wrote:TJ  

Do me a favor and dont tell me what to focus on.  The Celtics were in the midst of a strong comeback and Thomas was having a great game and the refs were doing their best to keep the Lakers in the game.  Period.

That game was winnable by either team.
Boston allowed Jeremy Lin to look like Russell Westbrook driving to the hoop.

Your shtick here is to bash refs and the Lakers and gloss over the Celtics issues. I get it...

You also chose not to recognize the point of how the Boston players acted during and after the victory over Washington. I get that too...

Anyway, it was an entertaining game to watch.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:29 am

tj I think we have the weakest rim protection in the league.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:47 pm

tjmakz wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:An absolutely disgraceful display by the refs in the game last night.  Thomas gets thrown out for pounding the ball into the court more frustrated with himself than anyone, Jeremy Lin double dribbles AND takes 3 steps on the same play, and they miss both.

The Lakers are a terrible team, so I understand why they are excited to win by any means - but to see them so impressed with themselves after every basket, is truly embarrassing.  Act like you have been there before fellas -not  like the Washington Generals.

TJ,

Apparently, Kobe Bryant doesn't agree.  He gives the Death Stare, on Jimmy Kimmel Live, after being shown film of the Laker celebration...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Bob,

Of course Kobe would never act like that or approve of that.
Kobe has won everything possible.
Jordan Hill and Swaggy P have won nothing in their careers.
I am pretty sure Kobe is not real fond of Nick Young in general because he is a jokester like Dwight Howard, but with way less talent.
That was a great look by Kobe when asked that question by Jimmy. :-)
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down