HAPPY 76TH BIRTHDAY BILL RUSSELL

+2
jeb
Sam
6 posters

Go down

HAPPY 76TH BIRTHDAY BILL RUSSELL Empty HAPPY 76TH BIRTHDAY BILL RUSSELL

Post by Sam Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Bill Russell was born on Lincoln's Birthday, 1934, which makes him 76 tomorrow (Friday).

Happy birthday, Russ, and many, many more. And a personal thanks for all the happy birthdays and other days you've given me and mine.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

HAPPY 76TH BIRTHDAY BILL RUSSELL Empty Re: HAPPY 76TH BIRTHDAY BILL RUSSELL

Post by jeb Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Sam

Reckon we could talk him into coming back to play limited minutes?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Good call, Jeb. Can you imagine what $ he'd command per minute now—even in his current condition?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:33 pm

What do you think he would say to this current group if he was still playing and on the team?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 pm

Bill didn't yell at anyone but Satch and Nellie, and only because they insisted on being yelled at. He wasn't big on rah rah speeches. As coach, before playoff games, he had the same standard speech: "Well, since we have to play this game, we may as well win it."

I think Bill would tell these guys that they have all the pieces but they're playing as individuals and not as a team. They need to watch each other's backs and do whatever they can to make their teammates better.

Bill didn't take the attitude that certain players were entitled to play a certain amount of minutes. The only exceptions were himself and Havlicek. He played whoever was playing well in that particular game. In 1969, Emmette Bryant didn't play so well in the early games and spent a lot of time on the pine. By Game 7 he was primed and ready and made a huge difference.

You may recall that in the recent game against the Celtics, Phil, to his credit, played Bynum in the 4th quarter and sat Gasol. And Gasol took it like a trooper. Bynum was having a great game, so why not?

When has Doc done that with this current group of starters? Now he has two players who can hardly walk but are still claiming heavy minutes. Why? Because they make more money? Because their egos are so fragile? Bill would have sat them down and stared them down.

The situation has resulted in a sense of entitlement that has one Celtic now dictating how many minutes he plans to play in the All-Star game, and, even worse, praticing for the three point contest when he should have been preparing for the New Orleans game. He's also laughing about how he stayed out all night partying before his first All-Star game. Does it even occur to him that impressionable young people might be watching and listening? That he, a Boston Celtic, is setting the worst kind of example? Bill and Red would have had a long hard talk with him and used words like pride and integrity.

The fish rots from the head, in this case, the captain and the coach.

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:46 pm

I am prone to agreeing with you. PP seems to have regressed a tad. He was making good decisions with the ball in the first 30 games specialy late.

It drives me nuts that he and kg are going to play hurt in that worthless game.

I expect Bill would have figured out a way to sustain and clean up the small things that are leading to defeat on d. I hope Doc can find some spine and start exerting control over the team. Cause Bill aint around...how do you feel about the current state of KG?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:14 am

tyroneshoelaces wrote:Bill didn't yell at anyone but Satch and Nellie, and only because they insisted on being yelled at. He wasn't big on rah rah speeches. As coach, before playoff games, he had the same standard speech: "Well, since we have to play this game, we may as well win it."

I think Bill would tell these guys that they have all the pieces but they're playing as individuals and not as a team. They need to watch each other's backs and do whatever they can to make their teammates better.

Bill didn't take the attitude that certain players were entitled to play a certain amount of minutes. The only exceptions were himself and Havlicek. He played whoever was playing well in that particular game. In 1969, Emmette Bryant didn't play so well in the early games and spent a lot of time on the pine. By Game 7 he was primed and ready and made a huge difference.

You may recall that in the recent game against the Celtics, Phil, to his credit, played Bynum in the 4th quarter and sat Gasol. And Gasol took it like a trooper. Bynum was having a great game, so why not?

When has Doc done that with this current group of starters? Now he has two players who can hardly walk but are still claiming heavy minutes. Why? Because they make more money? Because their egos are so fragile? Bill would have sat them down and stared them down.

The situation has resulted in a sense of entitlement that has one Celtic now dictating how many minutes he plans to play in the All-Star game, and, even worse, praticing for the three point contest when he should have been preparing for the New Orleans game. He's also laughing about how he stayed out all night partying before his first All-Star game. Does it even occur to him that impressionable young people might be watching and listening? That he, a Boston Celtic, is setting the worst kind of example? Bill and Red would have had a long hard talk with him and used words like pride and integrity.

The fish rots from the head, in this case, the captain and the coach.

great post,were in agreement,I think Doc has burnt out Ray and the 4th quarter rotation should not be same set game after game the way Doc always does it.It totally should be based on how well each indivdual has his game going to take advantage of whatever particular matchup PUTS us into BEST advantage to win.....if its good enough for Russ its good enough for me.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:26 am

So how about that Bill Russell!
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:23 am

Sam wrote:Bill Russell was born on Lincoln's Birthday, 1934, which makes him 76 tomorrow (Friday).

Happy birthday, Russ, and many, many more. And a personal thanks for all the happy birthdays and other days you've given me and mine.

Sam
You mean the former shortstop of the Dodgers?
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:24 am

I second, third, or whatever...Smartest basketball player to ever lace em up in my humble opinion....
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:41 am

Jeb: I disagree with you on one point. No game is worthless. It means something in the standings, and figures in for post season positioning, tie breakers etc. KG & Pierce should NOT play in this All Star game, and yes Pierce's game and attitudes have regressed more than a tad. I cringe when I see Pierce try to take the ball in the lane in traffic. That's a turnover waiting to happen. If he gets to the rim there's a good chance the shot is blocked since Paul has about as much lift now as Glen Davis! Pierce & KG should call it a career after this season!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down