swedeinestonia
wide clyde
Outside
kdp59
bobheckler
Sam
10 posters

Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Empty Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis

Post by Sam Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:42 am

I know BobH will cover this game in detail, but I have to go out for a while and I just want to mention a couple of general observations about the game.

• I can't recall a game in recent memory that produced a larger number of potential recipients of the game ball:

- Bradley for his surprisingly accurate sniping throughout the game as he returned from injury—and especially the dagger with half a minute to go

– Olynyk for his return to form, his three-point shots of adrenalin to the team, and his timely drives to the hoop

– Smart for his amazing defense that just plain stoned the Griz on several occasions and for his leading role in the perfect execution of Brad's inbounds play on which he grabbed the lob down low, hesitated just the right amount of time so he could be going up when his defender was going down, and his spinning "how did he do that?" shot

– Crowder for anchoring the second unit an contributing a veritable menu of major plays, from successfully guarding Randolph toward the latter stages of the game to his fourth quarter threes the basically denied the Griz the opportunity to take over the game 

– Bass for being his usual steady self, which has lately taken on a dimension of being the closest thing the Celtics have to an offensive intimidator

- But, as players go, I'd give my game ball to Pressey because he provided precisely what was needed to minimize the absence of Isaiah Thomas from the bench— in a word, pace!  After a succession of DNPs, he played 18 minutes of pushing the ball, and I happen to believe that fact was the number 1 reason (among many possibilities) why the Celtics won the game.

- However, my game ball unquestionably goes to Brad Stevens for concocting a game plan that kept the Griz at bay throughout and amped up the Celtics' attack just when it was needed most at the end.  He may have drawn up the play of the year in that clutch lob to Smart, and he's been displaying his innovativeness more and more as the season wears on.

• Despite the fact that it's easy to find fault with various aspects of Turner's game, Mike mentioned (I hope I have this right) that Evan ranks second among all players in the league in the number of 6+ assists and 6+ rebounds since January.  And he was the Celtic who threw that perfect lob pass to Smart.  His play reinforces my philosophy that (within certain limits) it's more productive to focus on what a play can do than on what he cannot do.

• It seemed to me that Memphis struggled to find their normal rhythm throughout the game, due very largely to the Celtics' offense. And I believe that lack of rhythm was the main reason why they missed a lot of open shots.  If you don't feel comfortable and "in the flow," sometimes the open shots are the most difficult to make.  The Griz were half a step and half a brain behind the Celtics all night.  And the Celtics actually "out-toughed" the Memphis team.

• The Celtics didn't miss Isaiah's penetration nearly as much as they would have if Olynyk, Bass, Turner and Smart hadn't made it such a point to go to the hoop.

• This team continues to show amazing poise down the stretch.  Whether they're five points down with 30 seconds left or clinging to a one-point lead, there's no sign of panic.  Considering all the young players they have, that's incredible.

• And finally, I loved Heinsohn's characterization of the lob play to Smart.  "They don't really have a go-to-guy, so Brad thought up a go-to play."

Sam

Last edited by sam on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:48 am

Wasn't that fun?!

This was another BIG win.  Was it a bigger win than the one over Atlanta in February?  Draper and Mannix think so, but I'm not so sure.  Sure, we had Sully back then, who had 17 points and 15 boards, but we didn't have IT or Jerebko.  We were as healthy as we could be.  We also needed a 28-16 4th quarter to squeak out an Evan Turner buzzer-beating win there.  If your ass needs to be saved by Evan Turner then you were a short pucker away from kissing it goodbye anyway.  This game was pretty much of a punchout in a phone booth the whole way.  The biggest lead for either team was 8 by the Celtics with only 1 minute gone in the 2nd quarter, so for almost 3 quarters it was never more than 3 possessions, a short run, away from a tie game.  This was a grinder.  Any loss of focus or intensity and it could just be gone.  

However, Atlanta is a team we could very well meet in the playoffs if we get there.  That win made a statement.  Put the two wins together, though, and you have the (what's that word again?  Ah yes, Glimmer) glimmer of a team that is coming together as we approach the playoffs and can beat the #2 and #3 teams in the NBA.  If Brad can continue to develop the players and see them stepping up who knows where their ceiling is?  With a little luck and help from the refs they might even be able to beat the University of Kentucky (I'm just teasing you, Cowens, but you have to admit maybe this team is better than you've been giving them credit for).

I wouldn't count on the zebras though.  The foul calling was dubious all game but they almost cost us the game with an unbelievably bad 24 second violation against the Celtics with 6:28 left.  What's inexplicable is that, despite famously reserved choir boy Brad Stevens screaming outrage at a pitch so high you had to be a beagle to hear him (or deaf as a post to not), they refused to review the call.  If the players are telling the truth about how the crowd makes a difference, that blown call might have been the best thing that could have happened because the TD Gahden went completely ballistic from then on.

A total of 78 points for both teams combined in the 1st half.  Not exactly a high scoring affair.  I wonder how close to a post shot-clock era record that is.  We won because we won the next two quarters, one by a single point and the other by 2.  We just out-ground an elite team.

1.  I don't usually mention the coaches because, in the end, it's the players who have to go out and execute plays, defend against them and adapt to the refs.  Last year, rookie Brad Stevens took a fair amount of heat for making poor substitutions and amateurish ATOs.  What a difference a year makes.  Not only has he done a phenomenal job off court with a highly viscous roster, he is now a pretty good on court coach too.  Danny has not only handed him lemons this year, he took away some of those lemons and replaced them with grapefruits, apples and tangerines and Brad has had to figure out how he had to change his recipe, on the fly, to make it taste good.  Every time Danny left the roster intact for a while, we saw improvements.  The past week or so we've also seen Brad draw up some beautiful ATOs.  There was the buzzer beater against Utah by Zeller and last night there were at least two.  

2.  One of those was to Marcus Smart.  We all heard about how he was big and strong enough to play through contact.  Well, last night we saw that.  With :51 left in the game Brad called a play ATO for Smart and Smart scored + 1 while he was halfway onto his ass courtesy of Courtney.  He's a baby brahma bull.  NOT a good shooting game, lousy in fact.  I'd say that was the story of his game last night.  Everything he did was spectacular or questionable.  He made a few eye-popping defensive plays on fast breaks and two high contact offensive plays you would expect from Brahma himself, LBJ but he also let Tony Allen leak out for a couple of fast breaks that almost sank us.

3.  Yep, Tony almost croaked us.  16 points on 7-9, 5 rebounds.  He had 6 on 2-3 after 3 in 16 minutes, so he had 10 points on 5-6 and 3 rebounds playing 11 minutes out of the 12 total in the 4th.  He still dribbles ridiculously high.  Why is Memphis so good?  Because they now have one of the best perimeter defenders in the game coming off the bench.

4.  One of Brad's abilities is to use players to the best of their abilities.  Another is to get players to grow.  I don't think I can come up with a more shining example of this than Brandon Bass.  Danny says that he doesn't think Bass has hit his ceiling yet, he still has upside.  Brad is making him a prophet.  With Brad's encouraging challenge Bass has not only added the 3-ball to his repertoire he is also now a consistent and efficient passer.  No Pass Bass no more.  As far as the 3 goes, he is shooting 33.3% from 3 this year.  Wasn't it only a year or two before when Bass sank the first 3 of his career?  He has increased his assists/game totals 50%, from .8 to 1.2, without increasing his TO/game.  Last night he made several pretty ones.  He drew the defense to him and then passed to Zeller on the baseline for an open shot.  Zeller missed, but the pass was on the money and it was Zeller's shot.  Another one was a fast play where a cutting Bass got the pass and immediately dropped a bounce pass to Zeller cutting baseline for a dunk.  That had to be a called play.  I love Bass but I don't think his court vision is that good, it happened too fast.  That was Brad's play and Bass has learned to execute it even though it had always previously been outside of his abilities.  A testament to his versatility is that ESPN lists both Zeller and Bass in the boxscore as "C".

5.  Kelly finally looked like he was comfortable.  15 points on 6-12, 2-6 from 3 and 6 boards in 20 minutes.  He outhustled/outmuscled Zach Randolph to a loose rebound.  Won't see Randolph get outmuscled very often.  He let Randolph beat him on the spin back to the left a few times.  Before players go into the game one of the jobs of an assistant coach should be to remind them the player they are assigned to defend is a lefty.  Force Randolph right.  Always.  Not only is he much less effective going right, you are positively doomed if he does go left.  Overall, however, pretty good defense on both Randolph and Gasol by Zeller, Olynyk, Bass and Jerebko.

6.  I don't know what to think about Zeller.  His preference for flip shots over dunks makes me say the "F" word, and it ain't "Finesse", but he does play some good games.  He hung in there last night against some quality opponents and he made a key defensive switch, grabbed a very rugged clutch rebound and sank both of the two clutch fts from the foul to seal the deal last night.  I guess that's why he's a back up and not a center.  He can't do it against everybody and he can't do it every night and he can't do it for 30-35mpg.  Last night, against Gasol, Randolph and Koufos Brad still only played him for 23 minutes.  He's the only pure center we have and he still only averages 21mpg this season despite missing Kelly for a bunch of games.  Kelly is averaging 23mpg.  The more I watch, and see the results, the less inclined I am to second-guess Brad and he's playing Kelly more than Zeller and Kelly isn't a real center.

7.  Il Principe (The Prince) of the North End didn't score many points last night, only 2, but his defense was pretty good.  I'm not going to make a big deal about that, this is his, what, 4th game?  but a better defensive effort is moving in the right direction which is more than could be said about James Young, who made no progress.

8.  Crowder had a good game except for when he was tasked with guarding Zach Randolph.  That is not a recipe for success since Randolph must outweigh him by a Buick.  I'll take 16 points on 6-12, 3-4 from 3, in 28 minutes for a bench player.  Him and Jerebko are glue.

9.  Evan Turnaround is going to jumpshoot me into a 12-step program.  How do you tell a player who thinks he can shoot that he can't.  Brad either can't or doesn't.

10.  Mike Conley was unstoppable last night.  Not even his own ankle, which he sprained stepping on Bradley's foot, slowed him down.  We need a center, I'd love Marc Gasol (I think I'd have to pry him out of Memphis GM Chris Wallace's cold, dead hands first) but I wouldn't mind having Conley running point.  I'd give up Bradley for him and that's no knock on Bradley.  Tony almost killed us in the 4th but Conley did kill us throughout the game.

11.  Jeff Green, 4-13 for 11 points.  Courtney Lee, 2-10 for 7 points.  Both now starters on Celtics South.  I like Lee, I always have respected his game, but I'm surprised he has replaced Tony in the starting lineup.

12.  Once again, we took more ftas than our opponent, 17-13.  Memphis averages 23.4 ftas/game.  Once again we had fewer TOs than our opponent, 16-21, and Memphis is 6th in the league with only 13.1/game.  The glimmer has become a trend.

We're a game and a half out away from Miami, who plays at #4 seed Toronto next.  Chicago travels to Charlotte on Friday while we host Orlando in a grudge match.  We travel to Indy on the 2nd game of a back-to-back, which we are 8-5 in this year on Saturday.  We have a good chance and we're surging at the right time.

Nothing teaches winning like winning and winning in the NBA is different from winning elsewhere.  Just ask Bobby Hurley, 2x NCAA Champion and #7 pick.  The players look positively ecstatic.  They seem to genuinely like playing for Brad.  Why not?  Half of them are reclamation projects getting a second lease on life.  IT was released from a bad situation in Phoenix, Jerebko is being highly valued where in Detroit he was sinking into SVG's doghouse, Gigi thinks he died and has gone to gelato heaven and Evan Turner is being allowed to take as many bad shots as he wants.

Danny should, and no doubt will, swing for the fences this off-season but by landing Jerebko (we own his Bird Rights) and Gigi he has already put himself in a position to hit a few easy singles.  He hit a double with Thomas.  Get me a proven, NBA veteran shot blocker/intimidator/paint protector and we're more than halfway home thanks to the spray-hitting Trader Danny did this head-spinning year.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:55 am

you gotta like the fight in this team.

now win the easy ones!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 am

bobheckler wrote:The foul calling was dubious all game but they almost cost us the game with an unbelievably bad 24 second violation against the Celtics with 6:28 left.  What's inexplicable is that, despite famously reserved choir boy Brad Stevens screaming outrage at a pitch so high you had to be a beagle to hear him (or deaf as a post to not), they refused to review the call.

FYI (bold emphasis mine).

Since the 2010-11 season, officials have reviewed situations where they were not reasonably certain whether the ball actually touched the rim and are therefore unsure if the shot clock was (or was not) reset properly.

This type of replay is only conducted in the last two minutes of the 4th period and overtime.

http://official.nba.com/trigger/24-second-shot-clock-reset/

That obviously doesn't excuse three officials missing the call in the first place (if that's what happened; I didn't see the game).

Regardless, a great win. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with Memphis, but you'd figure that Boston would be their type of opponent considering the beef they have with Gasol and Randolph. Those two should have beaten the Celtics into submission, but both wound up with subpar games in the box score. That must've been one stellar game plan by Stevens, one that other teams around the league will want to copy.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 pm

.gifs courtesy celticsblog.com

The ATO near the end of the game.

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis The_whole_play.0

Another Baby Brahma Bull finish.  Note Kelly attacks the offensive board in case there was a miss.

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Olynyk_to_Smart.0

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Olynyk_Buckets.0

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:04 pm

Without Thomas last night could have easily become a loss before the ball was even tossed by the referee.

The fact that it was not is what made this game so special as the Cs showed that they can still play their brand of ball for all 48 minutes against a very, very good NBA team without their best player.

It shows that they are a team much more than they were last season or even earlier this season. Compliments to Stevens and his staff and also to the players. Sam, this type of team play is certainly a "glimmer".

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Wide Clyde.  While a single game, in and of itself, isn't the kind of trend indicator of which glimmers are made.  But the factors that contributed to the win could be glimmers: their increasing poise under pressure; their growing toughness led by Bass; their rising to the challenge of clutch shots (with Brad putting them positions to succeed on those shots.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Outside wrote:
bobheckler wrote:The foul calling was dubious all game but they almost cost us the game with an unbelievably bad 24 second violation against the Celtics with 6:28 left.  What's inexplicable is that, despite famously reserved choir boy Brad Stevens screaming outrage at a pitch so high you had to be a beagle to hear him (or deaf as a post to not), they refused to review the call.

FYI (bold emphasis mine).

Since the 2010-11 season, officials have reviewed situations where they were not reasonably certain whether the ball actually touched the rim and are therefore unsure if the shot clock was (or was not) reset properly.

This type of replay is only conducted in the last two minutes of the 4th period and overtime.

http://official.nba.com/trigger/24-second-shot-clock-reset/

That obviously doesn't excuse three officials missing the call in the first place (if that's what happened; I didn't see the game).

Regardless, a great win. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with Memphis, but you'd figure that Boston would be their type of opponent considering the beef they have with Gasol and Randolph. Those two should have beaten the Celtics into submission, but both wound up with subpar games in the box score. That must've been one stellar game plan by Stevens, one that other teams around the league will want to copy.

This is something I will never understand. The points are worth just as much no matter at what point during the game they are scored.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:28 pm

BobH,

Randolph scored four points with Crowder on him.  Big deal!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:49 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:This is something I will never understand. The points are worth just as much no matter at what point during the game they are scored.

I agree about points mattering throughout the game, but the reasoning for limiting reviews for most cases to the last two minutes or overtime is that the game would take another hour with interminable review breaks if they reviewed everything throughout the game. It's more important to keep the flow of the game going.

Despite what most fans think, the missed calls even out most of the time, so it's not a big deal if you look at how it might affect the outcome of games.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Outside wrote:
swedeinestonia wrote:This is something I will never understand. The points are worth just as much no matter at what point during the game they are scored.

I agree about points mattering throughout the game, but the reasoning for limiting reviews for most cases to the last two minutes or overtime is that the game would take another hour with interminable review breaks if they reviewed everything throughout the game. It's more important to keep the flow of the game going.

Despite what most fans think, the missed calls even out most of the time, so it's not a big deal if you look at how it might affect the outcome of games.

So don't review anything, ever. Smile
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:04 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:So don't review anything, ever. Smile

Some people would prefer that option, yes. I think the last two minutes of the fourth quarter and overtime is a decent compromise.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm

If we can stay healthy, or even better get everyone back, we are going to the playoffs.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:34 pm

Oh gosh what a game to watch in person. Typing is a lot easier than speaking right now.

GAME BALL...... Brad Stevens and it isn't even close, sure the players still need to execute as Bob mentioned, all of them have bought into the program and got out right and did it.

An out of bounds play in the first half resulted in a dunk by Jerebko had Stevens dry marker all over it. 2 slashes a back pic and a slightly turned head and WHAM 2 points.

In the aftermath, we had no idea a stabbing actually took place above us in the upper level......(Latest report they got the guy in a traffic stop later, he was wearing a Rondo jersey)...........there was also a knife placed in a few people last evening after the game by Stevens (indirectly)when he stated something like this.... "the Celtic's have won every trade this year."  

A final stat about defense, KO played it as well as he can plenty more than adequate last eve.

And do we really want Marc ( Charmin ) Gasol ? Looked soft last night and when one needs their best big to preform against supposedly inferior opposition.....he made exactly 0 FG's in the final quarter.............of course he attempted exactly 0 too !!

here are a couple of the photos, had to borrow Marcus's as I could not bring my camera in the arena.

Marcus and assistant Coach Jamie Young.

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Boston10

Marcus and Red

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_310

With Max

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_610

The BANNERS never get tired looking at these

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_710

Pre Game

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_810

During a TO

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_1010

Also on the way out of the arena I walked head on into Jo Jo White. Actually spoke briefly with him and wished him well on his HOF attempt this year.....sad but I don't think too many people around us had any idea of who he is or worse was !!

Was a great time, Boston obviously did get hammered with snow but it was 60-65 degrees there but I feel for the Boston Sanitation Department because there is so much garbage and trash lying around.

In the last month we have the 8th best record in the entire league. We have at least knocked of some of the best and played the others close...cept of course the Cavs whom we tangle in the 2 final games of the season. OUCH if it comes down to needing a win then.

beat

Last edited by beat on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:07 pm

beat wrote:Oh gosh what a game to watch in person. Typing is a lot easier than speaking right now.

GAME BALL...... Brad Stevens and it isn't even close, sure the players still need to execute as Bob mentioned they all of them have bought into the program and got out and did it.

And out of bounds play in the first half resulted in a dunk by Jerebko had Stevens dry marker all over it. 2 slashes a back pic and a slightly turned head and WHAM 2 points.

In the aftermath, we had no idea a stabbing actually took place above us in the upper level.................there was also a knife placed in a few people last evening after the game by Stevens when he stated something like this.... "the Celtic's have won every trade this year."  

A final stat about defense, KO played it as well as he can plenty more than adequate last eve.

And dio we really want Marc ( Charmin ) Gasol ? Looked soft last night and when one needs there best big to preform against supposedly inferior opposition.....he made exactly 0 FG's in the final quarter.............of course he attempted exactly 0 too !!

here are a couple of the photos, had to borrow Marcus's as I could not bring my camera in the arena.

Marcus and assistant Coach Jamie Young.

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Boston10

Marcus and Red

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_310

With Max

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_610

The BANNERS never get tired looking at these

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_710

Pre Game

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_810

During a TO

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Grizzlies at Memphis Bos_1010

Also on the way out of the arena I walked head on into Jo Jo White. Actually spoke briefly with him and wished him well on his HOF attempt this year.....sad but I don't think too many people around us had any idea of who he is or worse was !!

Was a great time, Boston obviously did get hammered with snow but it was 60-65 degrees there but I feel for the Boston Sanitation Department because there is so much garbage and trash lying around.

In the last month we have the 8th best record in the entire league. We have at least knocked of some of the best and played the others close...cept of course the Cavs whom we tangle in the 2 final games of the season. OUCH if it comes down to needing a win then.

beat

beat,

Glad you had fun at the game. The Game On thread was fun too but, of course, nothing like being there. Your name and Marcus' came up a few times. We were hoping you had a sign of some kind.

One realizes how big Marcus has gotten when you realize he's standing next to Max, who is 6'8".

Gasol may not have been a stopper last night but he was the DPOY 2 years ago and he's only 30, so he's not way over the hill. Some of the credit to that, though, goes to Kelly who dragged him out a bit with his shooting. It would have been a long night if he was off, not just because of the points coming off the board but because Gasol would have just sat back in a zone.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Beat,

Great pictures, and obviously a great time.  We were thinking of you guys on the Game-on Thread.  And you pulled them through.

Because you guys are obviously good luck charms extraordinaire, Bob Heckler has generously offered to buy tickets for all three of you—including away games in plush hotels.  What a guy, huh?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:40 pm

sam wrote:Beat,

Great pictures, and obviously a great time.  We were thinking of you guys on the Game-on Thread.  And you pulled them through.

Because you guys are obviously good luck charms extraordinaire, Bob Heckler has generously offered to buy tickets for all three of you—including away games in plush hotels.  What a guy, huh?

Sam

True there is nothing like being there and I think I'll check with Bob about tickets.

Marcus knows so many people, he saw the assistant coach outside several hours before the game and mentioned he knew the video coordinator as that guy is a graduate of SU and that was Young's job with the C's at one time. In the traffic jams to get to our parking garage......I can believe it when Sully said he got caught in Traffic. Glad I live where I do, definitely NOT a City person.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Last night's win brought the Celtics home record to 16 and 16.

I think that is a milestone of sorts because winning at home is the first step towards respectability.

The Celtics have now reached a comfort level with the style of basketball that coach Steven has instituted.  Movement now seems more like second nature.  The ball does not stick because the movement that is taking place finds open shots for everyone.  It is a very unselfish style of play.  It's great basketball.

One of the things I notice is that Boston seems much quicker in transition on both ends without Jared Sullinger in the game.  In 11 games since Jared has been out Boston has average 44.8 RPG slightly higher than their season average.  I like Sully but I am more convinced that the Celtics pace game really does not fit his profile.

The Celts have an excellent chance to earn the 7th or 8th seed and they will scare the bejesus out of the team they play.

I am still hoping for another big that can defend the paint.  The Celts are 5th in scoring in the East and that average could increase with a little better shot selection (they still take too many threes early in the shot clock)  Defensively they have more work to do given their limitations defending the paint.

Marcus Smart is proving that the box score does not always tell the story of how a player contributes.  He is proving to be one of those rare players that finds a way to make game changing plays down the stretch when the pressure is the greatest.

KO looks like he is getting back into form.  (He is still a horrible defender) but he does enough on the glass and on offense to contribute.  They need him to score consistently when he has opportunities.

How many dunks per game is Bass getting these days?  He dunks on anybody and everybody.

Pressey has been riding the pine for a while but did a great job last night.

One thing is for certain.  The Celtics are getting quality wins against quality opponents.  They are not another "Win" on their opponents' schedule.

If you play the Celtics you can not win playing your B game anymore.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:55 pm

Dboss,

They're also increased their number of fast break points since Isaiah arrived.  Nothing fantastic, but a step (or run) in the right direction—and much greater than all the walking up the floor they were doing earlier in the season.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:36 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:34 pm

sam wrote:Dboss,

They're also increased their number of fast break points since Isaiah arrived.  Nothing fantastic, but a step (or run) in the right direction—and much greater than all the walking up the floor they were doing earlier in the season.

Sam

They certainly are running a lot more. This style is what we want to see.

That is a glimmer.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:50 pm

dboss wrote:Last night's win brought the Celtics home record to 16 and 16.

I think that is a milestone of sorts because winning at home is the first step towards respectability. dboss

Not only that, but they're 7-1 at home in their last 8 games.  What they did earlier in the year with a completely different cast of characters is pretty much irrelevant at this point.  These guys are here to play, and getting it done.  

-V

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:39 pm

Baron,

That's one reason why, when assessing the 2014-15 records of those players who HAVE been Celtics all season long, it's important to focus primarily on more recent data (e.g. the post-All-Star split).  There has been so much improvement on the parts of so many players.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down